It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:39 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: HEY FRITZ!!!
PostPosted: January 1st, 2008, 9:33 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Do you like Gundam? I know you mentioned in the first GBWC story.

Post subject: Re: HEY FRITZ!!!
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 9:27 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Oh yeah. I've got quite a few of the action figures and model kids Bandai USA put out back in the early '00s, and a very few imports.

I pretty much have only seen the ones Cartoon Network showed, and I basically missed Wing (our cable service didn't carry CN until right before CN took it off) though, I dunno, it'd be hard to watch it without a jaundiced eye now because of all the fangirls who try to read gay subtexts into it. Try to tell them you think Heero and Relena might have a heterosexual attraction to each other and you'd get lynched.

I even liked G Gundam, as weird as it was.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 1:06 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Fritz wrote:
I even liked G Gundam, as weird as it was.

oh good I'm not the only one

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 4:07 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Fritz wrote:
I dunno, it'd be hard to watch it without a jaundiced eye now because of all the fangirls who try to read gay subtexts into it. Try to tell them you think Heero and Relena might have a heterosexual attraction to each other and you'd get lynched.

My opinion has always been that if Heero WEREN'T attracted to Relena in some way, even if his training prevents him from figuring out that he IS attracted, then he simply would have killed her the first chance he got.

I've wondered whether it was just gay guys writing those fics or straight girls who are somehow really good at writing the Gundam boys as gay. A combination? I can't even go on FF.net anymore because of all the damn yaoi fics. At least Gundam SEED isn't at all subtle about relationships. You see naked chicks, chicks in their underwear, in revealing dresses, with their boobs bouncing all over the place, AND ACTUAL KISSING, and implied underage sex!!! Isn't it great?!

Anydangway, have you seen Gundam SEED or SEED Destiny? Or the newest Gundam show, Gundam 00?

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 4:22 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
SEED yes, because they ran it on CN. Personally, despite it's flaws, I thought it was a pretty decent reimagining of the original show.

Some relevant comments from the old board:
http://ectozone.proboards31.com/index.c ... 1086968894

Quote:
I'd probably say the original and, strangely enough, the whacked-out G Gundam are my favorites, but I haven't watched a stinker yet (I haven't seen much of Wing--we got Cartoon Network right about the time they stopped showing it) Gundam Seed is intriguing so far, being a modernized retelling of the original. There's a couple of flaky girls with squeaky voices that are making me cringe, but damn....Murrue Ramius is a lot hotter than Bright Noa

{snip}

The Coordinators are essentially an update of the Newtype concept found in the original Gundam and the Tomino-helmed sequels (Zeta, Double Zeta) though it was shadowy and undefined as some sort of vague "next step in human evolution" that just happened to make you a badass mecha pilot.

Seed gets credit for taking the concept to a realistic extreme; it doesn't hurt the point about the stupidity of racism that they put the most vulgar comments in the mouth of Flay, one of the resident vaccuum brains. (And she's a hypocrit to boot, as she seems to think Kira is all right)

(The last comment is debatable, but it was written before the show was even halfway finished)

Since we're in the territory still, though, not long ago I remarked snarkily on the Digimon boards why it didn't do better in the States. I mean, it was just as derivative of the original as Wing was, and had just as many pretty boy pilots. But then I remembered that, between Lacus, Flay, and Cagalli, it became too clear that Kira and Athrun liked the ladies instead of each other. The fangirls deserted it and **poof** go the ratings.

Those kinds of fangirls are everywhere, Aidan. They're even known to write Egon/Venkman slashfics, scarily enough.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 6:44 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
Fritz wrote:
Seed gets credit for taking the concept to a realistic extreme; it doesn't hurt the point about the stupidity of racism that they put the most vulgar comments in the mouth of Flay, one of the resident vaccuum brains. (And she's a hypocrit to boot, as she seems to think Kira is all right)

That and he was the only Coordinator she knew of on their side and she knew him well enough to manipulate him into fighting when he didn't want to. And the only reason that she did was she wanted revenge for Zaft killing her father while he was on a civilian transport ship.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 1:05 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Well it was hardly a civilian ship, it was an Earth Alliance warship. The point stands though about Flay.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 10:38 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
Oh, thanks Aiden. I wasn't sure on it being civilian or Alliance, but it goes to show how much of an airhead Flay was. And how bad my memory has gotten.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 7:58 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

You have to feel kinda sorry about Flay at the end though. After realising how badly she's screwed herself over, she ends up getting blown to smithereens by Rau le Cruset.

Anyways, the new Gundam series, Gundam 00 (double zero) looks to be off to a promising start. Check it out here.