It is currently March 29th, 2024, 9:01 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Pirates of the Caribbean
PostPosted: January 6th, 2008, 2:41 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
This topic on the old board has quite a lot of me on it, airing my very derogatory opinions about Dead Man's Chest. Now, I stand by every word, except that I was a bit unkind about Keira Knightley. She does use an annoying voice to play Elizabeth, and now she's started making this really weird face. She says something, and then someone looks at her, and she makes the face... I don't get it. But anyway, she's ok really.

So, I wasn't going to go to the cinema or the video store in order to see At World's End, but then it turned up on our cable TV movie service thing, so we watched it. Normally I like to pretend that Dead Man's Chest never happened, but just for today, I let it back into my world.

Oh my goodness, the third one was bad. There'll be no spoilers here yet; I can't possibly list everything I hated it about it, because that's nearly everything. Nearly everything. They didn't even give Johnny Depp any good material to work with; he just raised the one smile from me with, "Now go and get it." That's all. It was all awful. It just goes to show, you only need one good movie and then you can just splat any old crap all over the big screen.

But it's not all negative. No, really. It's mostly very negative indeed - I really, really hated it - but I was happy with the ending. Not as happy as I was with the end of Curse of the Black Pearl, but given that this abomination has happened... well, it could have been worse. The best of the whole film was all in about the last five minutes. And now, here come a few SPOILERS (I must warn you, even though everybody who wanted to watch it probably will have done by now).

The whole of the first film was building up to Will and Elizabeth getting together. I've never agreed with the Elizabeth/Jack shippers; I saw no evidence in any of the movies that she wanted anybody but Will, and she doesn't. I'm not a shipper of any pair of people in these films - and I can't stand Orlando Bloom, if it wasn't obvious from my comments on the old thread - I only speak for the vision of the people who created the characters. So those two had their bizarre little ending, Jack went off on his own in a boat to find the Fountain of Youth... it satisfied me.

My brother said, "I question whether you can father a child when you have no heart." Well, obviously you can.

If they do make a fourth - I mean, really, they don't need to, and if they're going to get increasingly worse like this... - but if they do, it won't surprise me in the least. What I hope they would do is reveal that Jack found the Fountain of Youth and took some of its water to Elizabeth. It'd make her arrangement with Will a lot more convenient - and if she hasn't drunk from the Fountain of Youth then she certainly ages well, doesn't she?

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: January 6th, 2008, 3:30 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
no i herd that they are planing for a forth . Elizabeth isn't going to be in it but as for will I don't know .

I all so herd that it was cut from the film but that if Elizabeth was faithful then the ten year curse would be broken . then will could see her when ever he wonted too .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: January 6th, 2008, 7:21 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Scorpio
I saw it in the theatre & got the impression that Will had to spend a decade @ sea to break the spell; simply, he had to put in his time.

If you watched past the credits (theatre version), you would've seen Elizabeth with her young son as Will returns to them after 10 yrs.

But, yeah, just like The Matrix, the following films got progressively worse. :oops:

PostPosted: January 8th, 2008, 8:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
The good old law of diminishing returns, creatively if not financially. For every exception (i.e. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back; Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan) there's a hundred sequels that fall short of their predecessor.

It usually has to do with the first movie being the one born out of inspiration, the rest being born out of somebody going "We can make another assload of money!"

PostPosted: January 9th, 2008, 9:30 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Scorpio
The creators had no clue what a dark horse the film would be...they destroyed the sets & had to rebuild for the 2nd & 3rd.

Two site listing sequels better than the 1st:
http://www.filmstalker.co.uk/archives/2 ... _than.html
http://www.amazon.com/sequels-better-th ... JQP5Y0C7X1

We could spin this thread as a new topic. I don't have that power, other powers, yes. :geek:

PostPosted: January 12th, 2008, 10:50 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Taurus
Personally, I enjoyed all 3 of the Pirates.. movies. Very entertaining.