It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:26 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: February 29
PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 8:48 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Not really much to say. But February 29th is a calendar oddity that only comes every four years. I just felt like I had to post something.

There was someone I used to work with at the K-Mart who had her first baby on February 29, 2000. If I go over there and see the kid's grandma (the Mom doesn't work there anymore) I'll be sure to ask how she's enjoying her second birthday. She's eight years old, but it's only her second birthday. :lol:

Post subject: Re: February 29
PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 11:15 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
As it's February 29th, I as a woman am apparently allowed to propose marriage. Surely not! If a woman proposes, doesn't the universe become cosmically unbalanced? So, wait a minute - does this mean that he'd be the one wearing white to belie his virginal status, and his mother would give him away so as to relinquish ownership of him to me, and he'd take my name? Or does it all go back to normal after February 29th? Well... at least it'd mean I'd reached the highest honour a woman can aspire to and attached myself to a man.

You know what? That's a great system. Let's just go all the way and say women can vote one day in every four years, and women can work one day in every four years, and everything! It's not ideal, but it's better than what we had a hundred years ago.

I'm sorry, but that so-called "tradition" really pisses me off.

Edit: Weeeey! 600 posts! :D

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: February 29th, 2008, 2:43 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
what a rant :roll:

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: March 1st, 2008, 12:52 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Only ten minutes left in my time zone. I usually don't think about leap year, but I am glad of it this year. It keeps my sister off the road with a permit for one more day, and her B'day is on a Saturday, so everyone should count their blessings, lol.

EGBFan: Was leap year started just for that purpose? I really have no clue.

ghostdiva

PostPosted: March 1st, 2008, 5:03 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
ghostdiva wrote:
EGBFan: Was leap year started just for that purpose? I really have no clue.

No. It's to do with the earth's orbit, so it doesn't fall behind itself or something.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2008, 8:36 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
The Earth does not take exactly 365 days to go around the Sun. It's closer to 365 1/4 days--so every fourth year, an extra day is added to make up the difference.

But because it's not even exactly 365 1/4 days, every once in a while they throw in extra seconds. And every year ending in 00, except for ones evenly divisible by either 400 or 500 (I forget which, and am too lazy to check Wikipedia) , is NOT a Leap Year--though the year 2000, which is divisible by 400 or 500, was a Leap Year. This keeps things in synch.

Edit: It's every 400 years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_29

You want to know how big a difference all that makes over a few centuries? Go to this site and look at the line that says "Julian Calendar". That's where the calendar would be right now if they hadn't adjusted and revised the Leap Year system in the Sixteenth Century. It'd only be February 17th!