It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:53 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: The Bionic Woman
PostPosted: March 12th, 2008, 9:22 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I don't suppose anyone happened to watch the recent remake of The Bionic Woman? I've been left with a sort of feeling that it's pretty pointless to post a message about it, because I've read that it wasn't received particularly well in the US. (But I seem to be posting a message anyway.)

The show is of particular interest over here in the UK, and has had a lot of publicity, because Michelle Ryan (a.k.a. Jamie Sommers) was a high-profile character in one of our longest running and most popular soaps Eastenders. (Some people have an extremely low opinion of Eastenders that extends to the people who watch it, but I've learnt to turn the other cheek where they're concerned. I know it's trash. The fact that I can know that and still watch it makes me feel kind of superior, in a weird sort of way.)

Anyway, the first episode was aired on a cable channel (ITV2) at 9.00 last night, and I watched it because I was interested in seeing how Michelle was getting on. I thought she was pretty good at playing the part (her accent seemed okay to me; she was doing cockney in Eastenders, and middle-class southern English in her other show Jekyll); she had some really terrible lines, and managed to say all of them with a completely straight face. (Writers' strike?? It can't be hard to get better writers than that!)

Michelle Ryan also auditioned for the part of Martha Jones in Doctor Who, and was probably the most famous person to do so - the very factor that allowed Billie Piper to get the part of Rose Tyler. But apparently Freema Agyeman's brief performance in one episode was so much better than that of any other guest stars that she was not only offered the part of Martha, but has made several appearances (some as Martha, one not) in Torchwood as well. Hmm... :|

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

Post subject: Re: The Bionic Woman
PostPosted: March 12th, 2008, 6:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
They discussed it a lot on some other boards I go to; I know Troy and some of the other GBHQ regulars mentioned it on SPT. I tried to find the thread, but maybe it's during other discussions and didn't have it's own.

I'll leave aside my snark about "Russell Davies decided not to cast such a known star as Martha because it would have created the possibility of overshadowing his dearly departed Self Insert, the Sainted Rose Tyler", for fear of dragging the thread off topic.

I never saw it, myself. :|

PostPosted: March 13th, 2008, 7:48 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Aww, that's too bad - but thanks for bothering to reply. You weren't missing much; most of the time the lines really were awful (especially when she was with her boyfriend, who drove her home from their date, horrifically crashed his car nearly killing her and then made her bionic). And yet I've already decided to watch it again next week. That's odd.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 13th, 2008, 12:17 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
its a conspiracy I say

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel