It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:25 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Cosgrove Hall
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2008, 6:55 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Cosgrove Hall is not actually a hall. It's a company that makes cartoons - or it was. They haven't given us anything in over ten years, as far as I know.

I was just wondering if anyone, as well as the British among as, remembered any British cartoons. If you do, that cartoon was almost certainly made by Cosgrove Hall. They are by far the most successful UK cartoon company, and the only one whose name I can call to mind.

My guess is that if any Americans here watched a Cosgrove Hall cartoon, it was their most famous, Dangermouse. That seems to be the one people have heard of, even though it was an early one with not so much American funding, and it didn't do anything to make itself US-friendly.

By US-friendly, I mean a couple of things (whether they worked I wouldn't know). In Count Duckula (in my opinion, Cosgrove Hall's best), David Jason did an American accent in the title role, and Ruby Wax did all the female voices with her natural American accent. I've heard the US usually either won't buy shows where the characters all have some kind of British accent, or they re-dub it because apparently people won't understand the original actors (e.g. Stressed Eric - I read about that in the news). I make no comment.

A later cartoon they did was Avenger Penguins. It starred Jimmy Hibbert, who is a voiceover genius and very good at accents, as well as American actors Mike McShane, Rob Rackstraw and Lorelei King. It was set in a place called Big City which had a lot of really, really big buildings and neon lights - you'd be hard pushed to find a place like that in the UK. I watched it when I was about nine, and was convinced it was an American production until I recently bought the DVDs and found that it was Cosgrove Hall (though not one of their better efforts - there are nine good ones and about three absolute gems, in twenty-six episodes).

So anyway, those cartoons had a lot of American funding, and I'm pretty sure Dangermouse is the most famous British cartoon worldwide. If anyone has any memories of any Cosgrove Hall shows, I'd love you to share them.

Oh, yeah - and they also did an animated film adaptation of Roald Dahl's The BFG a while back. Perhaps you saw that.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

Post subject: Re: Cosgrove Hall
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 9:46 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Danger Mouse. Yeah, I remember Danger Mouse and Count Duckula. The biggest laugh I got from Danger Mouse was one episode with some sort of time travelling grandfather clock.

Penfold: This means we can travel through time! Like that Doctor!

Danger Mouse: Who?

Penfold: I can't right remember...

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 10:15 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Good-o, I was a bit worried I wasn't going to get any replies. :)

Cosgrove Hall love cross purposes and play-on words, which was one reason why I didn't realise Avenger Penguins was one of theirs - they didn't do it so much. Penfold and Dangermouse had at least one very funny exchange per episode, many of them much more original than the old Doctor Who joke.

I don't remember that episode, but then I was very young when it was on, so everything I really remember comes from watching the occasional repeat within in the last five-odd years.

Do you remember much of Count Duckula? In my opinion, it's way better than Dangermouse.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: July 9th, 2008, 9:26 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Pisces
When I was a kid, I used to watch Count Duckula religiously on Nickelodeon. I would say the same for Danger Mouse, but it wasn't shown as much.

Duckula was a cool cartoon all around and had witty dialogue and decent animation far beyond a cartoon like that should have had. I didn't like Nanny too much, she got on my nerves. But, Igor always cracked me up, always wanting to turn Duckula into a killer vampire, but failing miserably and comically all the time.

What I remember most and looked forward to each week was the the beginning and end theme. To a kid, it was pretty damn creepy to watch, yet an addicting and catchy tune.

Sad to say, they don't make 'em like they used to anymore.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2008, 1:43 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Mr. No-Ghost wrote:
When I was a kid, I used to watch Count Duckula religiously

What I remember most and looked forward to each week was the the beginning and end theme. To a kid, it was pretty damn creepy to watch, yet an addicting and catchy tune.

I think I was to young for that at the time b/c i remember getting freaked out by it once and then my mom said i had to stop watching it .

as for now it's on my net flicks .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2008, 3:50 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Libra
You know...I didn't remember Count Duckula until I watched the opening on youtube, and I knew the f-ing words, wtf. It was like the levees in New Orleans broke all over again, except in my brain.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 5:27 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

The Count Duckula opening is indeed very memorable. People who claim to have forgotten everything about the cartoon always remember the opening. I've known it off by heart for as long as I can remember. Actually, I think that was my first knowledge of vampires.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3