All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Doctor Who
PostPosted: April 7th, 2009, 9:54 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Well, we had quite a thread about this cult classic on the old board:

http://ectozone.proboards.com/index.cgi ... &thread=43

This show is on my mind because I have just read about it in the latest issue of our TV listings magazine (the legendary Radio Times - nothing but the best in this house). That is, I've been reading about the episode airing on BBC1 this Saturday Night: the first of David Tennant's Final Four.

Apparently it can be "the Doctor's 200th adventure", depending on "how you measure it" (David Tennant). That's a reference to the movies that were made, I suppose. Russell T. Davies and friends promise an amazing, fabulous, wonderful episode, of course, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I am, however, looking forward to seeing what Michelle Ryan brings to the show. She is an excellent actress, and I do not doubt that she would have made a better Martha Jones than Freema Agyeman, but I guess it's just a case of dropping your knickers for the right people.

But that episode isn't going to air in the US for... um... some time, anyway. I don't know where our American friends have got up to the with the series, but I'm sure that the US must have seen plenty of Catherine Tate's Donna Noble by now. Tate is, of course, one of our finest and most respected comedy actress. I am dying to know how American audiences have taken to her.

One final comment. When the Doctor regenerates, and is no longer David Tennant, the show is going to lose a great deal and I may even stop watching it. Of course I'll give it every chance, but that is my prediction. In my opinion, they have been scraping the barrell more and more for plots, and if it wasn't for the combined talents of Tennant and Tate - and hopefully now Michelle Ryan - it would not be a series worth watching.

I'll shut up now. I know that Doctor Who has a lot of fans who won't agree with me, which is great for all involved.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: April 8th, 2009, 8:43 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
Well, we had quite a thread about this cult classic on the old board:

http://ectozone.proboards.com/index.cgi ... &thread=43

This show is on my mind because I have just read about it in the latest issue of our TV listings magazine (the legendary Radio Times - nothing but the best in this house). That is, I've been reading about the episode airing on BBC1 this Saturday Night: the first of David Tennant's Final Four.

Apparently it can be "the Doctor's 200th adventure", depending on "how you measure it" (David Tennant). That's a reference to the movies that were made, I suppose. Russell T. Davies and friends promise an amazing, fabulous, wonderful episode, of course, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I am, however, looking forward to seeing what Michelle Ryan brings to the show. She is an excellent actress, and I do not doubt that she would have made a better Martha Jones than Freema Agyeman, but I guess it's just a case of dropping your knickers for the right people.

But that episode isn't going to air in the US for... um... some time, anyway. I don't know where our American friends have got up to the with the series, but I'm sure that the US must have seen plenty of Catherine Tate's Donna Noble by now. Tate is, of course, one of our finest and most respected comedy actress. I am dying to know how American audiences have taken to her.

I've seen a couple of episodes with Donna in it. My impression is very positive--she plays off the Doctor quite well, and not writing in any romantic subtext makes her feel like the "old days"

Quote:
One final comment. When the Doctor regenerates, and is no longer David Tennant, the show is going to lose a great deal and I may even stop watching it. Of course I'll give it every chance, but that is my prediction. In my opinion, they have been scraping the barrell more and more for plots, and if it wasn't for the combined talents of Tennant and Tate - and hopefully now Michelle Ryan - it would not be a series worth watching.

I think you're right that a lot of more recent fans will be turned off. Look how traumatized some of them were when Rose left--many of the fans were too young to have been around for the earlier days of the show, and just don't realize that companions moving on and the Doctor becoming a different person are the hallmarks of the program. It's the key to it's longevity--I'd be surprised of very many of the people who did "An Unearthy Child" in 1963 are still alive (William Hartnell, the First Doctor, has been dead for most of my life)

On the other hand, the new show had the Eccleston/Tennant regeneration, and the new fans dealt with it. Of course, they'd only had Doctor #9 for a year, and probably weren't as attached to him as they are to #10.

But hey, the old show didn't crash and burn when Tom Baker left; Peter Davison is still fondly remembered. Matt Hill is stepping into (nearly a dozen pairs of) big shoes here, granted, but maybe he'll do just fine.

Or he won't, and there'll be a 12th Doctor very quickly. :lol:

PostPosted: April 9th, 2009, 4:55 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

EGBFan wrote:

Catherine Tate as Donna Noble is one of my all time favorite companions, and I've been a fan of Doctor Who since the end of Tom Baker's legendary run. What made Donna so much fun was the fact that she wasn't afraid to stand up to the Doctor and call him on some of his crap.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2009, 5:47 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

village idiot wrote:
Catherine Tate as Donna Noble is one of my all time favorite companions, and I've been a fan of Doctor Who since the end of Tom Baker's legendary run. What made Donna so much fun was the fact that she wasn't afraid to stand up to the Doctor and call him on some of his crap.

That's fantastic! I did manage to see an old episode with Tom Baker on cable recently, and found Sarah Jane Smith about as irritating then as she is today (I'm sorry, I just don't like her) - but my Doctor Who experience is very limited. I was already a fan of Catherine Tate when she came into the show, and I was a little disconcerted to see someone trashing her on deviantART - I wondered if maybe she wasn't going to be well received as a DW companion. That was just one person's opinion, I do realise, but it was the first one I became aware of.

I'm glad she's liked by you two long-time fans. I always knew Tate would be better than Billie Piper - whom I had already grown tired of when she was a pop princess in the nineties - and Freema Agyeman (you know what I think about her). I thought most of what they were doing with those two was extremely irritating - but what do I know?

I must say, I was extremely disappointed with Donna's exit, and the entire episode that went with it. But perhaps I'd better not say too much about that(?).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 10th, 2009, 2:06 am 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

I just wanted to say that I really liked Donna Noble and was actually mad about what happened to her character. Village Idiot you captured my sentiments exactly about Catherine Tate's character.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2009, 10:15 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I've been picking up conjecture and trivial news items on Digital Spy again, but just occasionally you find something interesting and definite there. According to this article, the Doctor's new companion has been announced.

I'm happy with the choice, especially after reading that the likes of Rachel Stevens (ages ago) and Kelly Brook (mentioned in this article) might be in the running. I doubt either of those celebs (not really what you'd call actresses) have broken America. If you haven't heard of them, consider yourself fortunate.

Aren't I horrible?! :P Well, anyway, I've only ever seen Karen Gillan in The Kevin Bishop Show - a recently launched, mostly quite funny sketch show led by the guy who played Jim Hawkins in The Muppets' Treasure Island (I've seen him around since then, but again, not in anything I think will have made it to the US). Karen was great in the show, demonstrating diversity and comedic ability.

So yes, I'm glad. Fritz may be right in that fans will soon warm to a new Doctor, even after the much loved David Tennant, but for me Tennant was the only thing that was keeping me watching (well, okay, and Catherine Tate after she was introduced). The stories - I'm sorry - I think by and large they've become pretty dire, especially when compared to the Christopher Eccleston series (which unfortunately didn't have David Tennant!). Still, we have a new chief writer, and now the brightest star barring Kevin himself from The Kevin Bishop Show. So I'll try and stay optimistic. 8-)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 9:47 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Looking over what I've written previously in this thread... aren't I awful?! Well, I didn't like Rose or Martha or Sarah-Jane Smith. So there. I did like David Tennant, very much, and I was worried about what was going to happen when he regenerated.

I have to say, though, that I wasn't as bad as a lot of people. Tennant fans were being distinctly unpleasant about poor Matt Smith when all they knew was his name. Now me, I was always prepared to give him a chance - and I'd like to stand up and point out very loudly that I was right about Karen Gillan. She is now adored nationwide, and I said she was good all that time ago when all I'd seen her in was The Kevin Bishop Show. Ha ha, smug, smug.

So, where has the US got up to? Have you seen anything of Matt Smith yet? We're going to get the first part of the two-part season finale tonight. Are you jealous?

Just briefly, then - I like Smith a lot, and the nation seems to agree with me, from what I've read. At first I thought he was playing it a little too much like David Tennant at times, but by about episode four I thought he was settling into his own style. There have been what I consider to be some great storylines as well, which is good, because I really thought they were in decline towards the end of Tennant's stint as the Doctor.

There are some aspects to the series that aren't really grabbing me, the biggest of these being that I don't give a damn about Rory. Names don't count as spoilers, do they? Or have you met him already? I've really no idea how far behind us you guys in the US are.

I actually don't miss David Tennant at all, even though I haven't seen hyde or hair or him since his last Doctor Who episode. But that only means he's not doing any high-profile TV - I'm sure he's getting work, and I could find him if I looked hard enough. But I don't want to. Matt Smith'll do me!

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 20th, 2010, 9:11 am 
Administrator
Administrator

See? I told you the show would survive the departure of David Tennant. I think that's the most ingenious thing about the concept--they came up with something that could endure after replacing it's lead actor ten times. :lol:

PostPosted: June 13th, 2013, 10:25 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Bumping a very old thread, but it's tinged with so much irony I couldn't resist...

This thread was going strong about the time Matt Smith came into the role of the Doctor. And now, just a couple weeks ago, the surprise announcement that he's leaving at the end of the year. The Twelfth Doctor has not been announced yet, but...

Quote:
Skyfall's Rory Kinnear and Cutting It's Ben Daniels are currently favourites with the bookies to take over the iconic role.

Other potential successors included Russell Tovey , Stephen Mangan and Tom Hiddleston.

Fans’ favourite Benedict ­Cumberbatch is said to have ruled himself out to focus his attention on offers of Hollywood movie roles.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/new- ... nd-1932925

It was so big a surprise that literally the day before the announcement I was reading that Smith and his current companion had one more year on their contracts.

It kind of overshadowed the shocking end of the last episodes, the lead in to the Fiftieth Anniversary special coming in November, which introduced John Hurt as "The Doctor", but with no other explaination. Speculation is rampant, though ("Doctor 8.5" or The Valeyard being the current top theories)

Exciting times, no?

PostPosted: June 13th, 2013, 1:12 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Sorry, but you got me started. :roll:

I absolutely cannot be bothered to care. I stopped watching after the first couple of episodes of the latest season. The Christmas special was dire, and what followed wasn't much better. The stories aren't up to much anymore, but I could stomach that if it wasn't for the awful scripts. Pretentious, unnatural and generally crappy dialogue about leaves and stuff - no thank you! I don't like Jenna Louise Coleman either. I'm sorry, but as far as I can tell, she can't act.

Prior to this series, I was losing interest anyway. Karen Gillan was great, and the scripts weren't awful yet, but the stories were slipping and I could never get interested in Rory so, for me, it's a shame his whiny, insecure, over-the-top relationship with Amy was the focus like 80% of the time. Alex Kingston generally lifted things, mind you, but I was in the room when her latest episode was on TV and the snatches of dialogue I caught sounded as dire as the rest of the series so far.

Those are my opinions, anyway. I happen to know that at least a few fans agree the show has gone downhill, but I don't know how the majority feels about it. I daresay some fans are excited about the new Doctor, like Fritz, and I hope they'll enjoy him. A new companion would be nice, but not enough to make me resume watching. I'll give it a go if they change writers, and nothing else.

Interestingly, here in the UK we were recently treated to a showing of the first and last ever episode of Press Gang, a children's drama that Steven Moffat wrote when he was starting out, and which was very popular in its day (1980s, before my teatime drama years). The first episode was great. The last was pretentious and trying way too hard to be clever, much like that Dr Who Xmas special I mentioned, only nowhere near as bad as that (one word only answers... do I have a plan, faffing about up here with an umbrella... wtf?!). Anyway, we saw the two things quite close together. Remembering how good Moffat's early episodes were - "Blink" and stuff - it was fascinating to behold.

Okay, rant over. :P

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 14th, 2013, 10:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, I admit that, like the entirety of the revived series, my viewing has been spotty and almost accidental at times; I missed the beginning of the BBC America rerun cycle years ago, and just never ended up making any sort of regular effort to see it. This despite being fairly eagar to absorb every bit of information about it I can get. Strange, I know. :?

So let me update the list I put on the old thread:

Here's the list of actors who have played the part:

1. William Hartnell (1963-1966, 1973*)
2. Patrick Troughdon (1966-1969, 1973*, 1983**, 1984***)
3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974, 1983**)
4. Tom Baker (1974-1980)
Tom is the Doctor most familiar to Americans--PBS started rerunning his stories in the 1980's. He's the one with the thick curly hair and the super-long scarf
5. Peter Davison (1980-1984, 2007****)
6 Colin Baker (1984-1986)
7. Sylvester McCoy (1987-1990, 1996)
The original show was cancelled in 1990, but McCoy got to reprise the part in the 1996 TV movie, and be seen regenerating into his successor.
8. Paul McGann (1996)
9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)
10. David Tennant (2005-2010)
11. Matt Smith (2010-2013)
12. ??? (2013/2014?-???)

*--Reprised the part for "The Three Doctors" (1973)
**--Reprised the part for "The Five Doctors" (1983)
***--Reprised the part for "The Two Doctors" (1984)
****--Reprised the part for "Timecrash" (2007)

And a few extra...

1A) Peter Cushing (1965, 1966)
Portrayed a version of the First Doctor, albeit as a human who invented the TARDIS, in the feature films Doctor Who and The Daleks (1965) and Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD (1966)
1B) Richard Hurndall (1983)
Assumed the role of the First Doctor in "The Five Doctors" (1983) as William Hartnell was deceased by that time.
4A) Trevor Martin (1974)
In the stage play Doctor Who and the Seven Keys Of Marinus, Martin played the Doctor; there was an opening projection of Jon Pertwee regenerating into Martin, making Martin an apocyphal alternate Fourth Doctor
6A) Sylvester McCoy (1987)
Actually played the Sixth Doctor for a few brief moments at the beginning of "Time and The Rani", as Colin Baker had quit the show
9A) Richard E. Grant (2003)
Provided the voice to the Ninth Doctor seen in the webcast "Scream of the Shalka". The BBC considered the webcast canonical at the time, but when the live action show was revived and Christopher Eccleston was cast as the Ninth Doctor, the "Shalka Doctor" became an apocryphal alternate much like Trevor Martin's Fourth.
13A) Micheal Jayston (1986)
The Valeyard, the villain of the season-long "Trial of a Time Lord' is revealed as a possible future Thirteenth Doctor who has fallen to the Dark Side, as it were, and bribed the Time Lords with future knowledge, forcing them to put the Sixth Doctor on trial so he could steal his seven remaining regenerations. Probably not who the guy who succeeds Matt Smith is going to become, but they'll almost inevitably make some story hay out of it when the real Thirteenth Doctor comes down the line in a few years.
X) John Hurt (2013)
Introducted in "The Name of the Doctor" simply as "The Doctor" with no further explanation; we'll have to wait until the Fiftieth Anniversary special coming in November for that. Leading speculation is that he's either an unknown prior incarnation between McGann and Eccleston, "Doctor 8.5" as it were, or another version of the Valeyard (which would make him "Doctor 13B")

PostPosted: August 4th, 2013, 6:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, with today's announcement, time to update the list again.

Here's the list of actors who have played the part:

1. William Hartnell (1963-1966, 1973*)
2. Patrick Troughdon (1966-1969, 1973*, 1983**, 1984***)
3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974, 1983**)
4. Tom Baker (1974-1980)
Tom is the Doctor most familiar to Americans--PBS started rerunning his stories in the 1980's. He's the one with the thick curly hair and the super-long scarf
5. Peter Davison (1980-1984, 2007****)
The original show was cancelled in 1990, but McCoy got to reprise the part in the 1996 TV movie, and be seen regenerating into his successor.
8. Paul McGann (1996)
12. Peter Capaldi (2013-???)

*--Reprised the part for "The Three Doctors" (1973)
**--Reprised the part for "The Five Doctors" (1983)
***--Reprised the part for "The Two Doctors" (1984)
****--Reprised the part for "Timecrash" (2007)

And a few extra...

Portrayed a version of the First Doctor, albeit as a human who invented the TARDIS, in the feature films Doctor Who and The Daleks (1965) and Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD (1966)
Assumed the role of the First Doctor in "The Five Doctors" (1983) as William Hartnell was deceased by that time.
4A) Trevor Martin (1974)
In the stage play Doctor Who and the Seven Keys Of Marinus, Martin played the Doctor; there was an opening projection of Jon Pertwee regenerating into Martin, making Martin an apocyphal alternate Fourth Doctor
Actually played the Sixth Doctor for a few brief moments at the beginning of "Time and The Rani", as Colin Baker had quit the show
Provided the voice to the Ninth Doctor seen in the webcast "Scream of the Shalka". The BBC considered the webcast canonical at the time, but when the live action show was revived and Christopher Eccleston was cast as the Ninth Doctor, the "Shalka Doctor" became an apocryphal alternate much like Trevor Martin's Fourth.
The Valeyard, the villain of the season-long "Trial of a Time Lord' is revealed as a possible future Thirteenth Doctor who has fallen to the Dark Side, as it were, and bribed the Time Lords with future knowledge, forcing them to put the Sixth Doctor on trial so he could steal his seven remaining regenerations. Probably not who Peter Capaldi is going to regenerate into, but they'll almost inevitably make some story hay out of it when the real Thirteenth Doctor comes down the line in a few years. Or even during Capaldi's run, with the possibility of becoming the Valeyard hanging over his head, maybe.
X) John Hurt (2013)
Introducted in "The Name of the Doctor" simply as "The Doctor" with no further explanation; we'll have to wait until the Fiftieth Anniversary special coming in November for that. Leading speculation is that he's either an unknown prior incarnation between McGann and Eccleston, "Doctor 8.5" as it were, or another version of the Valeyard (which would make him "Doctor 13B")

More on Peter Capaldi, the Twelfth Doctor, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Capaldi

PostPosted: November 15th, 2013, 11:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

"Night of the Doctor", the newest "minisode" and a lead in to the 50th anniversary story:

So, spoilers ahead.....

Awesome to see Paul McGann actually get to play the part again; he's been doing, so I hear, a bang-up job on the audio dramas--still a big thing in the UK--but there's a degree to which it isn't "real" Doctor Who unless it's on a screen.

Very neat send-off. The Sisters of Karn are from an old Tom Baker story, the "Brain of Morbius", and in a bit of perhaps intentional synchronicity it was a story that also called into question the exact progress of the Doctor's life cycle; eight "Pre-Hartnell" Doctors appeared in flashes as the Doctor and Morbius had a psychic duel. The idea that there were pre-Hartnell Doctors was pretty much punctured later on, though, when the number of Time Lord regenerations was established and Peter Davison definitively stated twice that he was the product of the fourth regeneration.

I'm still a little...I dunno, I guess there's a degree that as awesome as John Hurt is, and how awesome this short was, the whole "Oh, sure, we've spent eight years telling you Eccleston was the one after McGann but SURPRISE!!! And even though the Doctor spent much of the Eccleston and Tennant years coming to grips with what he did during the Time War somehow the fact that he FUCKING KILLED HIS OWN PEOPLE just isn't as traumatic enough without throwing in a secret Doctor who's a big star we can have in our anniversary special" business still doesn't sit 100% right with me.

Still, they got my attention, and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see what's next with the 50th anniversary special and the impending arrival of Peter Capaldi.

Little bit more lighthearted: my personal favorite of the many hilarious Youtube vids mashing up Capaldi's foulmouthed character in another show with Doctor Who footage:

So here's the list now, updated and jazzed up:

The Primary List, the twelve actors chosen to be the incumbent Doctor in order they were chosen

Classic Series
1. William Hartnell (1963-1966)
"An Unearthly Child"(A)---"The Tenth Planet" (DD); reprised the role in "The Three Doctors" (RRR)(1973)

2. Patrick Troughdon (1966-1969)
"The Tenth Planet"(DD)/"Power of the Daleks"(EE)---"The War Games"(ZZ). Reprised the role in "The Three Doctors"(RRR)(1973), "The Five Doctors"(6K)(1983), and "The Two Doctors"(6W)(1984)

3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
"Spearhead from Space"(AAA)---"Planet of the Spiders"(ZZZ). Reprised the role in "The Five Doctors"(6K)(1983)

4. Tom Baker (1974-1980)
"Planet of the Spiders"(ZZZ)/"Robot"(4A)---"Logopolis"(5V)
Tom is the Doctor most familiar to older American fans--PBS started rerunning his stories in the 1980's. He's the one with the thick curly hair and the super-long scarf

5. Peter Davison (1980-1984)
"Logopolis"(5V)/"Castrovalva"(5Z)---"The Caves of Androzani"(6R); Reprised the role in "Time Crash"(2007)

"The Caves of Androzani"(6R)/"The Twin Dilemma"(6S)---"Trial Of A Timelord (The Ultimate Foe)"(7C)

"Time and the Rani"(7D)--"Survival"(7P)

8. Paul McGann (1996)
Only made one onscreen appearance as the incumbent Doctor, the 1996 TV movie. Reprised the role in 2013's "Night of the Doctor". Has made a large number of audio dramas for Big Finish; because their contract only covers the original show, McGann is actually their incumbent Doctor.

Revived Series.

(See 8.5 below for John Hurt)

"Rose"---"The Parting of the Ways"

"The Parting of the Ways"/"The Christmas Invasion"---"The End of Time"; Reprising the role in "Day of the Doctor" (2013)

"The End of Time"/"Eleventh Hour"---(2013 Christmas Special)

12. Peter Capaldi (2013-???)
Debuts in the 2013 Christmas Special

The Secondary List, including non-canon and Retcon Doctors

Assumed the role of the First Doctor in "The Five Doctors" (6K)(1983) as William Hartnell was deceased by that time.

1C) David Bradley (2013)
Technically portraying William Hartnell, not the Doctor, in the upcoming documentary "An Adventure In Space And Time", but it's about Doctor Who's creation and it's my list so I'll put it here. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if Moffat snuck him into the Anniversary special or somewhere later as the First Doctor.

2A) Reece Sheersmith (2013)
Similar to David Bradley, is portraying Patrick Troughdon in "An Adventure In Space And Time"

3A) Mark Gatiss (2013)
Similar to David Bradley, is portraying Jon Pertwee in "An Adventure In Space And Time". He's also the screen writer for the documentary.

4A) Trevor Martin (1974)

8.5) John Hurt (2013)
Introduced in "The Name of the Doctor" simply as "The Doctor" with no other explanation; in "Night of the Doctor" Paul McGann is seen transforming into him via a potion provided by the Sisterhood of Karn. (This may or may not count as a "real" regeneration). The latter episode referred to him as "The War Doctor". Will appear again in "Day of the Doctor", which will hopefully deal with his eventual regeneration into Christopher Eccleston as best they can even though, as far as we know, Eccleston is not involved with the project.

Provided the voice to the Ninth Doctor seen in the webcast "Scream of the Shalka". The BBC considered the webcast canonical at the time, but when the live action show was revived and Christopher Eccleston was cast as the Ninth Doctor, the "Shalka Doctor" became an apocryphal alternate much like Trevor Martin's Fourth. (Unless they get really cutesy and retcon it into an adventure of the John Hurt Doctor)

The Valeyard, the villain of the season-long "Trial of a Time Lord' is revealed as a possible future Thirteenth Doctor (or to be more accurate, "Somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation") who has fallen to the Dark Side, as it were, and bribed the Time Lords with future knowledge, forcing them to put the Sixth Doctor on trial so he could steal his seven remaining regenerations. Was namedropped in "The Name of the Doctor"; unknown at present if Moffat is going to resist the juicy low-hanging fruit of the drama that could be mined from this character, though if Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi are "really" Twelfth and Thirteenth Doctors, he'd better hurry then.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2013, 9:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Like to laugh at shockingly bad twenty-three year old Doctor Who fanart?

Boy, do I have a treat for you!

http://ectozone.deviantart.com/art/Seve ... -414494334

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2013, 11:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

So...BBC America has been running a marathon of the 2005+ episodes (I really want to call them Seasons 27-33 myself) and while I can't really sit and watch them all because of access issues, I've been catching them here and there, and DVRed a few standouts.

"Christmas Invasion". Tennant's first full story. I'm sick of Rose because of the internet, but dadgummit, I forgot that I kind of like her mother.

"Journey's End" The Series 4 (Season 30) final episode, a kind of unofficial 45th anniversary celebration (continued from "Stolen Earth" but I missed most of that one). Packed in a lot of stuff, pretty much bringing together a lot of themes and subplots since 2005 along with just about everyone who'd been in the show--and it's two spin-offs--to that point. As an old timer, a highlight was Davros and Sarah Jane Smith in the same room; Sarah Jane had been one of the Fourth Doctor's companions in "Genesis of the Daleks", which introduced the Davros character (and in some hindsights should have probably been his only appearance, but that's all water under the bridge now).

It was a pretty awesome ride, but...damn. I knew Rose got a sickeningly perfect ending with a human clone of the Doctor that, frankly, RTD probably pulled out of thin air just for that purpose. I knew Donna, on the other hand, got one of the rawest raw deals in the show's history short of ending up dead like Adric (and Adric was a snot that nobody liked, anyway). I guess what I'd forgotten is that both happen in the same damn episode. There's a lot of people I know who utterly hate Rose, considering her RTD's Sue, and I think stuff like this is why.

"Eleventh Hour". Never actually got to see this one until now. Great start to Matt Smith's ride (the irony of only seeing it now that he's about to exit was not lost on me). Amy Pond is fiesty and awesome. Rory starts off as a bit of a sadsack; I know he gets a lot more awesome later though.

DVR is all set for the rerun of "Name of the Doctor" and, of course, "Day of the Doctor"