All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2013, 6:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Okay. Another piece of shitty fan art, though this one is new:

http://ectozone.deviantart.com/art/Not- ... -415494849

This apocryphal version of the Time Lord will look very familiar to followers of pretty much everything else I've ever done on the internet.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2013, 11:54 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Fritz wrote:

This apocryphal version of the Time Lord will look very familiar to followers of pretty much everything else I've ever done on the internet.
Fritz, your art is not shitty. This and the twenty-three year old fanart you created is better than anything I could come up with! :D Great stuff!

SPOILERS for the 50th.

I haven't commented on Doctor Who for ages, but after the 50th Anniversary Special I just wanted to say a few things. Firstly, how much I detest Steven Moffat and his desperate desire to stick his grubby fingers into the fantastic history of Doctor Who and make it 'his'. Clara's unnecessary intervention when the First Doctor stole the TARDIS is one example. Now that Moffat has retconned the Time War and screwed up the numbering of the Doctors, I suppose he's really made his mark. Hopefully he's reached his creative peak and will bugger off and let someone else take over. It should never come to a point where a showrunner is as famous as the show, and unfortunately I think Moffat is beginning to get in the way.

I also detest his inability to describe women as anything but 'girls', no matter what age they are. Girl in the Fireplace. Impossible Girl. Bad Wolf Girl. He just can't stop doing it, and it pisses me off. I do wonder what kind of a problem he has with women, because it comes up time and again in his writing. Not just the 'girl' thing, but the implication that women are weak, and are only meant to exist to find a man (preferably The Doctor), marry them and have children. In the 50th Anniversary, Elizabeth I is desperate to be married to the point of obsession. Amy Pond, River Song and Clara were all initially very interesting characters who turned out to exist for The Doctor. It would have been fine if this was used once, but to keep on using the same motivation and character trait for every single female companion is both unimaginative and repetitive. He's taken RTD's idea for Rose (Bad Wolf) and used it over and over in various forms until it's become stale, to the point that Clara seems to be (using Moffat's quaint term), a 'Nothing Girl' - just an empty character. Rose as Bad Wolf/The Moment's Conscience overshadowed Clara in the 50th - whether it was Jenna Coleman's acting, or just the pointlessness of Clara's character I don't know, but it felt as if she didn't need to be there. I wish Donna had been there instead. Donna and Ten together again for the 50th would have been a blast.

The Day of the Doctor was a mismatch of stuff that was confusing (various fan sites are still debating what number Matt Smith's Doctor is), with plotting that led nowhere (the Zygons story evaporated into nothing, and what exactly happened to The Moment? Is it still in that ramshackle hut? A dangerous weapon to leave lying around). There was a lot of time taken up by snogging and not enough taken up by past Doctors and companions. In an episode which was supposed to focus on the War between the Daleks and Time Lords, why was most of the screen time taken up by Zygons and Elizabeth I? It seemed like a standard episode of Moffat's Doctor Who (with his extra-spechul !Warrior Doctor!) when what was needed was a 50th Anniversary Doctor Who Special. An Adventure in Space and Time was the perfect Anniversary Special, and more than made up for what was lacking in this episode. It's a shame Moffat couldn't rein in his sexism and ego for this one episode.

I still wonder why the Eighth Doctor couldn't have been in Hurt's place. There is literally no reason why he couldn't have been. If anything, the massive positive reaction to McGann in The Night of the Doctor has shown beyond doubt that he could have been involved in the 50th, and as he never ended up committing genocide it would have worked perfectly with his Doctor's pacifism. It also wouldn't have screwed with the numbering.

The only redeeming thing about the episode was the tiny glimpse we saw of Thirteen. I've been a massive fan of Peter Capaldi's for some time now, and I'm absolutely bursting to see what he can do at Christmas and next year. I'll be honest - he's the only reason I'm still watching.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2013, 6:47 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I saw "Day of the Doctor" yesterday also, and I definitely agree with your criticisms...yet at the same time I don't think I was as negative as you are. I still had a great time.

Quote:
I still wonder why the Eighth Doctor couldn't have been in Hurt's place. There is literally no reason why he couldn't have been. If anything, the massive positive reaction to McGann in The Night of the Doctor has shown beyond doubt that he could have been involved in the 50th, and as he never ended up committing genocide it would have worked perfectly with his Doctor's pacifism. It also wouldn't have screwed with the numbering.

I admit, as much fun as John Hurt was in the role, I completely agree; after watching this story, he was completely unnecessary. "Night of the Doctor" could have just as easily been the Eighth going "Enough of this bullshit!" and become determined to end the Time War at any cost. It's pretty much exactly what we thought had happened for the last eight years.

And frankly, to repeat some of what I said above, after the early revelation of "I killed my entire species" the "great secret" being "And it was a secret incarnation that did it instead of the one you all thought" was anticlimactic.

It really does feel like Moffat or somebody going "We need to dream up an excuse to have a Big Star in our 50th Anniversary special".

Did I completely hate the show? No. There were lots of little touches I loved. The Brigadier's daughter (even if, yeah, that plot kind of petered out big time); the assistant in the familiar scarf; the use of the original title sequence in the opening--including a pan across Totter's Yard and the revelation that Clara was working at the same high school that Ian Chesterton and Barbara Wright once taught at. The Zygons themselves were from an old story I have some fond memories of. And of course...

Quote:
the tiny glimpse we saw of Thirteen. I've been a massive fan of Peter Capaldi's for some time now, and I'm absolutely bursting to see what he can do at Christmas and next year. I'll be honest - he's the only reason I'm still watching.

Oh yes, I loved that bit. I'm still going to call him the Twelfth Doctor for the foreseeable future, though. Who knows? The confusion may be one of those things that later writers and producers just kind of quietly ignore like the TV movie's "half human" business.

The ending, though, with the Doctor meeting that very very familiar looking Curator...that was the most awesome thing I'd seen in years. THAT was the "Big Star" that this episode needed.

Could it have been better? Certainly. I still see the John Hurt/8.5 business as completely unnecessary. But I still had a fun time, and in the end that's what we're here for, right?

PostPosted: November 24th, 2013, 8:30 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Fritz wrote:
The ending, though, with the Doctor meeting that very very familiar looking Curator...that was the most awesome thing I'd seen in years. THAT was the "Big Star" that this episode needed.

Yes, that was awesome. I don't wanna say too much about the Curator, though. Spoilers, as River would say. Unfortunately I knew it was coming beforehand, so the real surprise for me was seeing Thirteen (Twelve). :mrgreen:

Fritz wrote:
I'm still going to call him the Twelfth Doctor for the foreseeable future, though. Who knows? The confusion may be one of those things that later writers and producers just kind of quietly ignore like the TV movie's "half human" business.

I think the numbering is too much of a big thing to ignore. I know it's not that important for the fans to number the Doctors, but the number of Regenerations may be significant, and might have ramifications with Peter Capaldi's Doctor (depending upon which number he is). Again, I've got to be careful with spoilers. I assume his finding Gallifrey may have some repercussions with this. I've heard various theories, one (from Moffat, ironically) that Capaldi is the Thirteenth face but the Twelfth Doctor (because John Hurt doesn't count himself as The Doctor), and yet Capaldi is called Thirteen in the 50th, and the end credits include Hurt as The Doctor, which would also make Capaldi the Thirteenth. I personally don't mind if he's the Twelfth or Thirteenth, but should it really be debatable when it is such a potentially huge plot point? If Moffat (or his successor) is going to deal with the number of Regenerations, then he's going to have to make it obvious which one Capaldi is, because at the moment it really isn't clear enough. Maybe in the Christmas episode they'll make it clear.

Fritz wrote:
Could it have been better? Certainly. I still see the John Hurt/8.5 business as completely unnecessary. But I still had a fun time, and in the end that's what we're here for, right?

Yeah, maybe I was being too much of a Debbie Downer. Maybe I expected too much from it. Sure, it was fun, and I actually think moving on from the Time War is a good thing. I like that there is a new focus on finding Gallifrey and going back home, and I am definitely looking forward to Christmas and beyond for what Peter's Doctor will bring. I just wish we could have had a little less Moffat indulgence and a little more Doctor/Time War badassery. But hey, 50 years! Woo hoo! :D :mrgreen: :lol:

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2013, 10:43 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
I think the numbering is too much of a big thing to ignore. I know it's not that important for the fans to number the Doctors, but the number of Regenerations may be significant, and might have ramifications with Peter Capaldi's Doctor (depending upon which number he is). Again, I've got to be careful with spoilers. I assume his finding Gallifrey may have some repercussions with this. I've heard various theories, one (from Moffat, ironically) that Capaldi is the Thirteenth face but the Twelfth Doctor (because John Hurt doesn't count himself as The Doctor), and yet Capaldi is called Thirteen in the 50th, and the end credits include Hurt as The Doctor, which would also make Capaldi the Thirteenth. I personally don't mind if he's the Twelfth or Thirteenth, but should it really be debatable when it is such a potentially huge plot point? If Moffat (or his successor) is going to deal with the number of Regenerations, then he's going to have to make it obvious which one Capaldi is, because at the moment it really isn't clear enough. Maybe in the Christmas episode they'll make it clear.

Yeah, that's true. And I agree it is kind of a mess; I had hoped that when the Doctor's Twelfth Life rolled around, he'd start to worry about a little bit of his own history and possibly future, namely the existence of the Valeyard. I mean, a case can definitely be made that the Valeyard changed his own history and since the Doctor knows about him, can keep from becoming him...

...Yet at the same time, contemplating (and for four hundred years as far as you know carrying out) the genocide of two species, one of which was your own, makes the sneering and plotting of the Valeyard look like child's play.

I mean, I really doubt they'd ever have the Doctor "really" become the Valeyard. The Moff is too steeped in the series' history to be ignorant of him--after all, the Valeyard was namedropped in "Name of the Doctor"--but it seems, to me anyway, to be just an unavoidably juicy bit of drama to mine during the Doctor's twelfth life...but if suddenly Matt Smith the Doctor's twelfth life, it seems (to me anyway) much harder to mine that well. If Peter Capaldi can say "Well, f***, since I'm technically my thirteenth f***ing form, I guess I dodged that f***ing bullet, huh?"

(Not to say there aren't ways out. In my personal headcanon the McGann/Hurt regeneration energy was supplied by the Karn potion, since McGann was already dead but briefly reanimated. It's not a "real" regeneration, more of a metamorphosis. I know that's not the current party line, but it keep me from devolving into one of my states of irrational nerdrage as easily)

But yeah, they could have short circuited this whole nasty business by using McGann in place of Hurt. Arguably, watching the Doctor (nearly) genocide his own people would be more shocking with an established, well-known (even if all but two of his adventures weren't on TV) persona doing the (near) genocide instead of an asspull.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2013, 1:04 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
the pick looks good. :)

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: December 26th, 2013, 8:49 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, as of yesterday Peter Capaldi is officially the Doctor. I haven't seen "Time of the Doctor" yet, but should soon (ironically, I finally sat down and read Ghostbusters #11/#27 yesterday. I mean, it was a Christmas issue, after all)

Anyway, with the official changing of the guard, a fully updated and slightly reformatted list. Serials from the original series are identified by their production code and a three digit number of "overall" serial numbers as established by Doctor Who Magazine #407 and used on Wikipedia. The 2005+ show will only have the three digit numbers.

The Primary List, the twelve actors chosen to be the incumbent Doctor in order they were chosen

Classic Series
1. William Hartnell (1963-1966)
"An Unearthly Child"(A/001)---"The Tenth Planet" (DD/029); reprised the role in "The Three Doctors" (RRR/065)1973)

2. Patrick Troughdon (1966-1969)
"The Tenth Planet"(DD/029)/"Power of the Daleks"(EE/030)---"The War Games"(ZZ/050). Reprised the role in "The Three Doctors"(RRR/065)(1973), "The Five Doctors"(6K/129)(1983), and "The Two Doctors"(6W/140)(1984)

3. Jon Pertwee (1970-1974)
"Spearhead from Space"(AAA/051)---"Planet of the Spiders"(ZZZ/074). Reprised the role in "The Five Doctors"(6K/129)(1983)

4. Tom Baker (1974-1980)
"Planet of the Spiders"(ZZZ/074)/"Robot"(4A/075)---"Logopolis"(5V/115)
Tom is the Doctor most familiar to older American fans--PBS started rerunning his stories in the 1980's. He's the one with the thick curly hair and the super-long scarf. See also 14A below.

5. Peter Davison (1980-1984)
"Logopolis"(5V/115)/"Castrovalva"(5Z/116)---"The Caves of Androzani"(6R/135); Reprised the role in "Time Crash"(187.1)(2007)

6 Colin Baker (1984-1986)
"The Caves of Androzani"(6R/116)/"The Twin Dilemma"(6S/117)---"Trial Of A Timelord (The Ultimate Foe)"(7C/143)

7. Sylvester McCoy (1987-1990, 1996)
"Time and the Rani"(7D/144)--"Survival"(7P/155)
The original show was cancelled in 1990, but McCoy got to reprise the part in the 1996 TV movie (156), and be seen regenerating into his successor.

8. Paul McGann (1996)
Only made one onscreen appearance as the incumbent Doctor, the 1996 TV movie (156). Reprised the role in 2013's "Night of the Doctor" (239.1). Has made a large number of audio dramas for Big Finish; because their contract only covers the original show, McGann is actually their incumbent Doctor. He namedrops some of his Big Finish companions in "Night of the Doctor" making at least some elements of the audio dramas provisionally canonical.

Revived Series.

(See 8.5 below for John Hurt)

9. Christopher Eccleston (2005)
"Rose"(157)---"The Parting of the Ways"(166)

10. David Tennant (2005-2010)
"The Parting of the Ways"(166)/"The Christmas Invasion"(167)---"The End of Time" (202); Reprised the role in "Day of the Doctor" (240)(2013)

11. Matt Smith (2010-2013)
"The End of Time"(202)/"Eleventh Hour"(203)---'Time of the Doctor"(241)

12. Peter Capaldi (2013+)
A glimpse of him is seen in "Day of the Doctor"(240), but he officially debuts in "Time of the Doctor"(241)

The Secondary List, including non-canon and Retcon Doctors

1A) Peter Cushing (1965, 1966)
Portrayed a version of the First Doctor, albeit as a human who invented the TARDIS, in the feature films Doctor Who and The Daleks (1965) and Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150 AD (1966)

1B) Richard Hurndall (1983)
Assumed the role of the First Doctor in "The Five Doctors" (6K/129)(1983) as William Hartnell was deceased by that time.

1C) David Bradley (2013)
Technically portrayed William Hartnell, not the Doctor, in the documentary "An Adventure In Space And Time", but it's about Doctor Who's creation and it's my list so I'll put it here. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if Moffat snuck him somewhere later as the First Doctor.

2A) Reece Sheersmith (2013)
Similar to David Bradley, portrayed Patrick Troughdon in "An Adventure In Space And Time"

(Mark Gatiss appearaed as Jon Pertwee in some promotional material for "An Adventure In Space and Time", but did not appear in the final aired docudrama)

4A) Trevor Martin (1974)
In the stage play Doctor Who and the Seven Keys To Doomsday, Martin played the Doctor; there was an opening projection of Jon Pertwee regenerating into Martin, making Martin an apocyphal alternate Fourth Doctor

6A) Sylvester McCoy (1987)
Actually played the Sixth Doctor for a few brief moments at the beginning of "Time and The Rani"(7D/144), as Colin Baker had quit the show

8.5) John Hurt (2013)--The War Doctor
Introduced in "The Name of the Doctor"(239) simply as "The Doctor" with no other explanation; in "Night of the Doctor"(239.1) Paul McGann is seen transforming into him via a potion provided by the Sisterhood of Karn. The latter episode referred to him as "The War Doctor". Appears again in "Day of the Doctor"(240), which reveals that he didn't really destroy Gallifrey as he'd intended (though only the Eleventh Doctor knows that now) and shows the beginning of his regeneration into Christopher Eccleston (Eccleston was not involved, so they used stock footage and some CGI morphing).

9A) Richard E. Grant (2003)
Provided the voice to the Ninth Doctor seen in the webcast "Scream of the Shalka". The BBC considered the webcast canonical at the time, but when the live action show was revived and Christopher Eccleston was cast as the Ninth Doctor, the "Shalka Doctor" became an apocryphal alternate much like Trevor Martin's Fourth. (Unless they get really cutesy and retcon it into an adventure of the John Hurt Doctor)

13A) Micheal Jayston (1986)--The Valeyard
The Valeyard, the villain of the season-long "Trial of a Time Lord" (143) is revealed as a possible future Thirteenth Doctor (or to be more accurate, "Somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation") who has fallen to the Dark Side, as it were, and bribed the Time Lords with future knowledge, forcing them to put the Sixth Doctor on trial so he could steal his seven remaining regenerations. Was namedropped in "The Name of the Doctor"; unknown at present if Moffat is going to resist the juicy low-hanging fruit of the drama that could be mined from this character.

14A) Tom Baker (2013)--The Curator
Introduced in "Day of the Doctor"(240) and hinted to be a future incarnation of the Doctor who'd "revisited" an "old favorite" face. I'm just going to call him 14A for now, because it's after 13 and has a "4" in it, because Tom's also the Fourth Doctor. Unlikely to be the Doctor's "real" future, of course.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2013, 9:30 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I haven't been commenting on this thread because I sort of hate Doctor Who now, but I've never loved it or cared enough about it to really mind. I think I've already voiced my objections to the quality of the scripts nowadays. Modern media seems to be following a trend of pretentious, overcomplicated and "clever" writing that most people don't seem to mind - they might even enjoy it - and I think it's a shame.

More specifically, I happen to agree with what several people seem to be saying, including Nikki: Steven Moffat is messing about with the history way too much. As I put it when discussing it with my brother the other day, he doesn't respect the boundaries. Jake laughed because he didn't know I had such a strong opinion as that. It's just an observation, really - he doesn't! Then a few days later, Jake turned round and said, "Steven Moffat's ruined it!" Now, that's what I call a strong opinion!

It's been a long time since I enjoyed a Doctor Who episode, so I won't say anything specific about the Christmas Day episode (especially since I slept through some of it - I must be getting old!). As a general comment, I don't like Jenna Coleman as a companion because I don't think much of her acting. I probably couldn't do any better, but no one's offering me a part on Doctor Who, so it doesn't matter.

My one huge objection to "The Day of the Doctor" (which I didn't like overall) was the use of Queen Elizabeth I. How many people have to be in love with the Doctor anyway? Well, whoever they are, Elizabeth I should not be one of them. She made a conscious decision never to marry, and I've admired her for that ever since I learned about it when I was nine years old. So have plenty of other people. It's very empowering, and should not be messed about with. Respect the boundaries, Moffat!

Now, I'm saving this observation for last, because it doesn't have much to do with Doctor Who and is possibly a bit boring. But. About a year ago the first and last episodes of Press Gang, an early effort by Moffat for CITV, was repeated on the CITV Channel (along with a load of other old shows - what a wonderful weekend!). The first episode was really good, really engaging, very well written, I thought. Then the last episode was terribly, terribly "clever". It was nowhere near as bad as Doctor Who has become, but it was comparable enough, and very interesting so soon after that terrible Christmas episode from last year.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: May 25th, 2014, 7:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz wrote:

A bit of a remake of this one, this time I try my hand at the real Twelfth Doctor:

http://ectozone.deviantart.com/art/Doct ... -456415926

PostPosted: August 21st, 2014, 7:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

So...if there's anybody left here who still cares, "Deep Breath", the first full adventure of the Twelfth Doctor, is airing this Saturday. In the Colonies, BBC America will be carrying it the same day. There's apparently been some major leaks of scripts from the upcoming season, and even a working cut of "Deep Breath", and the buzz has been good. I guess we'll see.

Also, apparently Jenna Coleman is borrowing a note from Matt Smith, and this year's Christmas Special will be her last episode.

Sorry to dredge up some old wounds, but there's some interesting comments on Wikipedia. Moff thinks the person we should blame (after him) for the War Doctor and the snarling of the Doctor's regeneration continuity is Christopher Eccleston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_doctor

Quote:
Moffat stated in an interview with Doctor Who Magazine that he initially began the story process with the idea that it would be the Ninth Doctor, played by Christopher Eccleston, that would have been the incarnation that ended the Time War, in spite of misgivings in his own mind regarding it:

Yes, but do you know, I was always nervous of that one, because it doesn't fit with "Rose" at all. He is a brand new Doctor in "Rose", he's absolutely, definitely new. It couldn't have been is [sic] who pushed the button in the Time War, cos that's a new man, very explicitly, in that episode. I also had trouble, I have to be honest, imagining it being Paul McGann's Doctor[54][volume & issue needed]

Once it became clear that Eccleston would decline to appear, Moffat turned to an alternative concept he had been formulating, featuring a "mayfly Doctor" who appears for a single episode, asking, "Would it be weird in the run of the series to have the 45th Doctor turn up and be played by Johnny Depp or someone? Would that be a cool thing to do?".[54] He also indicated that the "classic Doctor" he would most like to feature in a new story was William Hartnell's First Doctor, stating, "You'd want him to come and say 'What in the name of God have I turned into?' That's the confrontation that you most want to see, to celebrate 50 years. Going round and round in circles on it I just thought, 'What about a Doctor that he never talks about?' And what if it is a Doctor who's done something terrible, who's much deadlier and more serious, who represents that thing that is the undertow in both David and Matt. You know there's a terrible old man inside them. Well, here he is, facing the children he becomes, as it were."[55]

Eh...I think either Eccleston or McGann would have been better than what we got. As for "Eccleston's a new Doctor in 'Rose' " that could have been chalked up to his memory being erased/edited by The Moment.

Or shit, they'd cast David Bradley as William Hartnell for "An Adventure In Time And Space"...they could have used him as the First Doctor too. I guess the "45th Doctor" idea did sorta make it in as Tom Baker's Curator.

Ah well, water under the bridge, and the running out of regenerations issue was kicked down the can for another few decades, so I guess it's all good for now.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2014, 8:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, I saw it. I liked it.

Some good bits:

The Doctor realizing he'd seen his new face before. In the real world, Peter Capaldi had appeared as the Roman stoneworker Caecillus in the David Tennant episode "Fires of Pompeii". This isn't the first time an actor who'd previous appeared became the Doctor (Colin Baker was Commander Maxell in "Arc of Infinity" before he was cast as the Sixth Doctor) but this time the in-story acknowledgement was a neat touch. It's an interesting thought exercise--what if every regeneration was to a face he'd seen before? Maybe the resemblance between the Second Doctor and would-be dictator Salamander wasn't a co-incidence? Okay, maybe I'm overthinking this now.

Strax was awesome, but Strax is always awesome. I never would have thought, the first time I saw "The Sontaran Experiment" back in 1984, that a Sontaran would be the comic highlight of the series a mere thirty years later. "Okay, I will NOT melt him with acid"

I love how Moff trolled all the teenage fangirls who were upset at an "old" guy becoming the Doctor through Clara having trouble adjusting to her "young" Doctor no longer being young anymore. I did have one thought that she didn't: the Eleventh Doctor wasn't really young when his regeneration started. He'd been living on Trenzalore for centuries, and was a feeble old man before he temporarily "reset" to his prime. Compared to the ancient, frail, William Hartnell-looking man the Eleventh Doctor had become before the Time Lords sent him a new life cycle, Peter Capaldi is a dialing back of apparent age. "I'm not your boyfriend" indeed.

Vastra seeing the new Doctor and going "Here we go again"...a no doubt intentional call-back to the Brigadier's reaction at the end of "Planet of the Spiders" that he was going to have to get used to a new Doctor for the second time.

And yeah, because I'd become fond of Matt Smith's Doctor, the little bit at the end where he calls Clara just before his regeneration finished was corny, but I still liked it.

And of course, because Moff couldn't help himself, the mysterious "Missy" at the end. New regenerations of either the Rani or the Master ("Missy"=the Mistress?) are the leading contenders. He just seems to love this "Mystery woman who has secret knowledge of the Doctor" trope, doesn't he? (ie River Song, Tasha Lem)

I think it was a promising start. And next week--Daleks!

PostPosted: January 25th, 2016, 11:14 am 
Administrator
Administrator

In a development that will please people here, Steven Moffat is leaving Doctor Who after Series 10.

Series 10 will not be broadcast this year--there will be a Christmas special this year, but Series 10 will be held for spring of 2017.

I hope Peter Capaldi stays after Series 10; I haven't hated the Moffat era as much as some have, but admit I wish Capaldi was given some better material and maybe with a new showrunner that will happen. Three seasons is a "traditional" length of time to be the Doctor, but as much as Capaldi has channeled Jon Pertwee at times, I personally hope he tries to at least match his record of five seasons (the second longest tenure of any Doctor thus far, by season).

PostPosted: December 20th, 2016, 10:24 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
Hey Fritz, Tom Baker played the Doctor for 7 years, not 6, so it'd be to '81 instead of '80. Yes, there is another Whovian among you, and I have seen all of the original series, amazingly enough, on the same PBS channel Fritz did. I have not seen all of the revival seasons because I don't have cable TV. (Too damned expensive around where I live.) Have to watch that stuff on the 'net, and it takes such a long time to find the season/series you're looking for when trying to watch it. I have to admit, I didn't know this thread was going so I didn't respond earlier to it, but it's nice to know there are a few of us around. And a fair question, was I the only one who cried when they saw 'An Adventure in Space and Time?'

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: December 21st, 2016, 10:13 am 
Administrator
Administrator

egon901 wrote:
Hey Fritz, Tom Baker played the Doctor for 7 years, not 6, so it'd be to '81 instead of '80. Yes, there is another Whovian among you, and I have seen all of the original series, amazingly enough, on the same PBS channel Fritz did. I have not seen all of the revival seasons because I don't have cable TV. (Too damned expensive around where I live.) Have to watch that stuff on the 'net, and it takes such a long time to find the season/series you're looking for when trying to watch it. I have to admit, I didn't know this thread was going so I didn't respond earlier to it, but it's nice to know there are a few of us around. And a fair question, was I the only one who cried when they saw 'An Adventure in Space and Time?'

Well, it was seven seasons (12-18) that's probably where I got mixed up. I'll recheck everything before I post that list again.

"An Adventure In Space And Time" was excellent. There were the requisite meta jokes ("We want to regenerate the show", when the change of Doctors didn't get called that until 1974; Hartnell says "I don't want to go!" which is undoubtedly apocryphal, but a callback to the Tenth Doctor's last words) but it was incredibly well done. Now I wish my DVR hadn't eaten it during a power surge--I want to watch it again especially because...

BBC America has been running the "restored" "Power of the Daleks", Second Doctor Patrick Troughdon's first serial. It was one of the tapes erased during the 1970's, but an audio track survived. Recently, the BBC has been doing animated "restorations" of those missing stories, and this is one of them. It's kind of weird...the animation reminds me of a sort of black-and-white "Sealab 2021". I know a lot of people nowadays would probably find the serial slow and boring, and if I tried to sit down and watch it all at once I'd probably agree, but in half hour chunks every week it's actually been pretty neat.

PostPosted: December 22nd, 2016, 3:10 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
I've gotten to see the first two parts of it so far (Thank you Whovians of the web) and found it to be memorable as 1's last words before the Regeneration. It's really disturbing when you see a Dalek not shouting 'Exterminate!' at every single organism it encounters and being 'nice' to others. Of course it helps that the one scientist removed it's weapon before showing it to anybody. I can only imagine how sorry he'll be when they start producing them by the hundreds. (The trailer for the serial gave that away.) I have to find the final parts for it, but it's at least the standard of writing I've come to expect from the early seasons/series.

And to clarify how many of the New Who I've seen, the last six eps. of 9, a few scattered eps. of 10, two or three eps. of 11 including the 50th anniversary and his regeneration into 12, and almost all of 12's eps. Only one I haven't seen was the 11/12 Christmas ep. I have to say that I'm enjoying Peter Capaldi's version of the Doctor. I kinda wish they'd done a little bit more with the town of Truth or Consequences (or TorC as the locals call it. ;) ) but not at the expense of the story. They should revisit it at some point because there would be a lot of questions as to what happened to all the people there and why the dumpsters are filled with smoking piles of bio-waste.

I haz deviantArt.