It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:58 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Harry Potter
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2009, 6:02 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I am going to share some of my opinions on the movie version of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which I saw last Thursday, because I feel like it. I feel quite confident that are not going to be any major spoilers in this post, but there may be a few small ones, so if you don't know what happens yet I suggest you go and read the book. If I had my way, no one would be allowed in to see the movie unless they could prove they'd read the book. That will probably never happen, but it's as well to make my feelings on the matter clear.

In the case of Half-Blood Prince, I think they took pretty much the right things from the book. But you still get only a very vague idea of what it's really all about - it's a shame so much has to be left out. And some of it does have to be, but I really think it's bad the way these movies have got so into doing their own thing. The first couple of scenes of Half-Blood Prince have got nothing to do with anything, to be honest, and then later there's this stupid scene where everybody's running around in a field... I don't want to think about that too much.

Then, of course, there's Slughorn. Jim Broadbent plays the character he plays well enough, but it isn't the one from the book. He's the wrong size and shape, but that could be overlooked. The point is, Horace Slughorn is not meant to be like ya granddad. They've taken the lines from the book, told Broadbent how to deliver them and altered their meaning irreparably. As a result, Harry's reactions to him are all confused and weird and, at times, out of character. If you haven't read the book, then you've missed out on knowing Horace Slughorn, who is brilliantly portrayed by Rowling.

Speaking of being out of character, what do they think they're doing with Hermione?! No way is she that silly and bitter and petty. My goodness! Leading on from that, this film has a little too much crying and hand-holding for my liking, if only because that is not how the characters' creator intended them to be portrayed.

But with all of that said, I enjoyed it. I always start with the flaws because they're so easy to notice. At any rate, this movie was a vast improvement on Order of the Phoenix, which is guilty of gross misinterpretation and misrepresentation. Anyone who's seen that without reading the book must be going about with the strangest ideas.

So what did I like? Hmm... can't remember. Okay - the comedy works well, and one scene in particular came across as very funny and true to the book (Ron... Harry... Romilda Vane... :lol: ). Alan Rickman's portrayal of Snape is particularly strong. He's always excellent, of course, but this time he has quite a lot to do and really comes into his own.

As for Draco - well, people are saying all the same things about him that we were saying when the book came out, as though it's all completely new. I really quite resent the way the film producers get all excited about what's going on in the new Harry Potter movie as though it was all their idea, but I'm not going to tell you that. Tom Felton really is looking his age (two years younger than me, so he's not ancient, but I left school in 2003), but never mind. He had some challenges in this movie, and I think he met them very well.

That's all I'll say for now. If anyone who hasn't read the book but has seen the film does want to join in, please do. I promise I'll discuss the film sensibly and I won't mention my feelings on the matter again. :)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3