It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:27 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: March 21st, 2010, 6:32 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I just have to get on my soap box on this one. I am beyond ticked.

I have been waiting for Disney to do Rapunzel as a movie since I was very young and now I find out they are doing it but they've screwed it up so much it's barely recognizable!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/03/disneys-rapunzel-gets-a-makeover.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+The_Hero_Complex+(The+Hero+Complex)

And of course that's nothing to say of the "consultants" that have changed things trying to get a bigger audience, the dramatic reanimation or the loss of several staff members over the travisty (sound familiar guys?)

Just goes to show how true the expression, "those how don't learn from mistakes of the past are doomed to repeat them", is.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm probably the only Disney fan on here, but I just needed to vent.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2010, 9:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
It's a revolting commentary on today's corporate greed that they treat a movie that grossed $222 million like it was some sort of bomb, and then puke all over another movie in reaction to it's "failure"

It reminds me of when some dubbers got ahold of Japan's magical girl show Cardcaptor Sakura; they jettisioned some of the early episodes starring the title character only to get to the episodes where she gets a male sidekick, tried their best to rewrite/reedit the show to give him equal--or greater--screen time, and even took her out of the title, just calling it "Cardcaptors"

It's generally considered one of the worst hack jobs since the bad old days of Sandy Frank's Battle of the Planets.

It's so sexist, because I don't ever see producers of animation adapting material that's more "boy friendly" going "We need to add in some stuff to get girls to watch it" or "We need to remove the stink of 'boyness' around our movie about giant robots shooting each other" :roll:

PostPosted: January 11th, 2011, 10:56 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Perhaps it's time to revive this thread, as the movie is being in cinemas this month, at least where I come from - I don't know about elsewhere in the world.

I don't have a lot to say at the moment, as I don't plan to see it until the DVD release at the very, very earliest - aside from a few self-righteous bits and pieces. :P Let's not forget that any piece of media coverage is - well, usually - the result of one person hitting on one thing said by one person, and squeezing it dry. I'm sure the gender thing is a part of the decision to do whatever they did with the movie, but how big a part? I wouldn't like to guess. If it really is the main reason, the sad - and yes, sexist - truth is that 'boys' movies' aren't feminised because it is still more than okay for girls to be considered masculine, but not at all okay for boys to be considered feminine. Therefore any girl going to see - I don't know - Transformers, or whatever, needn't be afraid of losing face.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the movie. The trailers I've been seen have all been edited to make the movie look like something extremely similar to Shrek, but that's surely to entice people to go and see it. From what I've read, it looks as though Disney have not forgotten their roots, and the film has elements of a traditional Disney classic. Am I right about this? I shan't know until I see it. Nor can we know how much they've really messed with the original fairytale, but I might be persuaded to wager a small amount of money that they haven't changed it much more than Walt himself fiddled with 'Sleeping Beauty' way back in 1959. Isn't the fact that she slept for a hundred years supposed to be the whole point? But I do love that movie, so I'm prepared to love Tangled if it's well done.

Of course, if it turns out I think Tangled sucks, I'll be back on here ranting like a loon. :D

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 7:29 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Clearly this isn't an enormously popular topic, but since it's here, I might as well say that I loved Tangled. I neither know nor care about any events leading up to its completion. All that matters to me, as a consumer, is the finished product.

This is a true Disney classic that well remembers its roots, both in Walt Disney himself and in the work of the Brothers Grimm. Great heroine; great hero; great villain; great songs; great voice actors; fantastic that Disney have gone back to having the actors do their own singing. Great twist on the fairytale too. Like The Little Mermaid (and others, of course, but that particular masterpiece springs to mind), Disney have messed around with the story a lot, but the inspiration from the early tale is clear and well used.

Some reviewers like to talk about this being a Disney classic for a modern audience, but I think that's a bit of a silly thing to focus on. Cinderella was made for a modern audience at the time; so was Beauty and the Beast (when part of that primary target audience was me); so is every movie, Disney or no. There is no special effort to make this one 'modern', and no new-fangled movie conventions forced or shoe-horned in. Disney has evolved over the years, along with everything else, and Tangled is as much a part of that as any other feature they made.

As for the whole title thing, who cares about titles? Well, fair enough, they can be pretty vital in drawing in an audience (hence the decision on the name of this movie, if that article is to be believed); but after the decision is made, a title has little or nothing to do with actual content (hey, even I'm not wild about Extreme Ghostbusters as a title). If anything, boys who decided to give Tangled a go might be annoyed that it does, after all, have rather a 'girly' feel about it. Sorry to sound sexist, but there it is. :P

Apparently - again, according to that article - the decision on the title (and whatever else they did) was sparked by a disappointing response to The Princess and the Frog. I liked that movie too, but I think they got it much more right with Tangled. Maybe with the former, they overdid the homage a tad. I always enjoy spotting references and similarities to The Little Mermaid, but perhaps not everyone does.

By the way, I'm a massive Disney fan. :D

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 8:33 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Oh, I loved Tangled too! The horse just cracked me up.

Above all I loved the heroine and hero duo; they weren't perfect, they were people. Rapunzel, for all her good, is naive and easily mislead. Eugene is...well, he's a thief and a scoundrel who initially only cares about himself. I miss that in a lot of the other Disney films, such as Cinderella. Cinderella was a victim of circumstances, sure, but overall her personality had no outward flaws. She forms an ideal, and as such, is less real. It made her seem almost like a cardboard cutout to me, even as a kid.

I think there's some quote that goes on about loving people for their flaws, which might apply here.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 8:54 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

It's all true, and that's one of the ways in which Disney movies have evolved. Like Cinderella, Snow White is similarly flawless. Aurora doesn't have much to her either way, and all three of those early princesses managed to fall in love remarkably quickly. So did Ariel, when she appeared with the fairytale resurgance, but at least she then spent some quality time with Eric during the movie, and since then Disney couples have been given a lot more time to come to terms with their feelings. The 30s and the 50s weren't the Dark Ages, by any means, but they did dramatise fairytales differently back then.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 1:00 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Very true. By the same token, they were also fairly accurate to the fairy tales themselves excepting the obvious very-much-not-kid-friendly aspects. I still think Malificent is one of the scariest Disney villains aside from the freaking Devil in Fantasia.

Red Riding Hood comes to mind. I still wonder when they'll do that one, because wow is it ever violent. Making it about werewolves would actually cause it to make more sense, but it was intended as a cautionary tale against strange men so...Hm.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 9:38 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I am so bad about not scrolling down to the general board. :oops:

I finally watched this. My main quip is that they made her a princess, she wasn't in the original which is one of the things that I liked about it. Also didn't go into any of the more gory aspects which is what I liked about it too.

I thought it was pretty weak on the songs from a Disney perspective and the songs weren't girly at all, that's probably one of the things they changed.

Not sure how I felt about the end either. The King and Queen get their daughter back and then let her marry a criminal? I don't knwo about that one.

It wasn't bad for a movie, but it wasn't Repunzell to me, which is why its a good thing they changed the title I guess.