It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:03 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: August 28th, 2010, 6:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
http://www.comicbookdaily.com/daily_new ... -at-panel/

I dunno if anybody else is gonna care, but CDRR is a sentimental favorite of mine. Twenty years ago, when it was the hottest thing on the air, the Walt Disney Company took the comic publishing license from Gladstone, and formed the Disney Comics label. CDRR was one of their launch titles, and because of the cartoon I checked it out. CDRR#8 had the first fan letter I wrote that wasn't published by Now Comics.

CDRR was my gateway drug to the works of Carl Barks, Floyd Gottfredson, Don Rosa, William Van Horn, and all of the other masters of the art who've graced Disney's comic licensees over the last eight decades.

If it's even half as good as Boom's Darkwing Duck (same writer!) it's gonna be awesome.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2010, 6:59 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
This is such a weird coincidence. I just the other day signed up at The Acorn Cafe, having just got back into Chip 'n' Dale (especially Dale :P) after finding and buying a twenty-episode DVD a few weeks ago. I was an active member of the community, like, ten years ago. At that time there were about three or four videos I used to rent from Blockbuster. Other than that, the memories were hazy indeed!

Actually, I came over here to test out an idea they have over there. They have a thread where people post pictures of their pets, and congratulate each other on how cute their cats and such are. But it may not work so well here. There are more users at The Acorn Cafe, and they (or should I say, we) are a community of animal lovers. Still, I'm excited by the idea because I got a kitten yesterday, and I'm being kind of new mother-ish about her. :roll:

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 29th, 2010, 8:31 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
This is such a weird coincidence. I just the other day signed up at The Acorn Cafe, having just got back into Chip 'n' Dale (especially Dale :P) after finding and buying a twenty-episode DVD a few weeks ago. I was an active member of the community, like, ten years ago. At that time there were about three or four videos I used to rent from Blockbuster. Other than that, the memories were hazy indeed!

I will have to check this place out.

I'll have to say, I'm not sure what the exact situation is with Boom titles and England. Most of Europe has their own Disney licensees, so the American titles often have to be "unofficial" imports. Of course, for the last quarter century, most of the stuff that's appeared in American Disney comics has been published in Europe first, having originated in either Denmark, Holland, or Italy. (Either that or it was reprints of older stuff--until Boom took over, American Disney comics had been very reprint heavy since, well, the mid 60's, actually)

Quote:
Actually, I came over here to test out an idea they have over there. They have a thread where people post pictures of their pets, and congratulate each other on how cute their cats and such are. But it may not work so well here. There are more users at The Acorn Cafe, and they (or should I say, we) are a community of animal lovers. Still, I'm excited by the idea because I got a kitten yesterday, and I'm being kind of new mother-ish about her. :roll:

Well, we don't have a very vigorous, active user base, but iot wouldn't hurt to try if you want. I have a couple of pictures I could put up myself.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 5:45 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Fritz wrote:
I will have to check this place out.

Do. They're a lovely bunch. I'm actually not getting many responses to my contributions to ongoing discussions - but I guess maybe there's not a lot to say in response to why I love Dale. :roll: And so far, only two of them have said they like my kitten. Pah. :x But in spite of that, they really are lovely.

Quote:
I'll have to say, I'm not sure what the exact situation is with Boom titles and England.

Of course I can't speak for the entire nation, but I personally am not too bothered. I've never been into comics and such. I like to look at things that move, and read things that are stationary. I'm happy with my DVD. There's a chance they may release a couple more over here, but then again, there's also a chance I'm one of only about three people who bought the first one. If that turns out to be the case, I may have to order an import or two from the States and watch it on my laptop (I'd kind of like to see the five origin eps, which you guys have over there), but I haven't decided yet.

Quote:
Well, we don't have a very vigorous, active user base, but iot wouldn't hurt to try if you want. I have a couple of pictures I could put up myself.

The only pictures of my kitten I have right now are crappy netbook ones, which may be why not many people have commented on her loveliness - the photos don't do her justice. Maybe when I get some better ones, I'll start a thread here, if no one else gets there first. And maybe I'll suddenly get a rush of responses over at the Acorn Cafe too. "Oh yeah, you were right - she is the cutest kitty in the world!" :P

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 1st, 2011, 7:41 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I felt like updating this, because, sadly, the last issue of CDRR came out a few weeks ago.

It doesn't look like sales were bad, though Boom is tight-lipped about such things. It more seems to have to do with Boom losing the Disney license as a whole; it seemed inevitable that it would happen from the moment Disney announced they were buying Marvel Comics (ironically enough, right around the same time Boom's first Disney offerings were released). First the Muppets and Pixar, then the Classic Titles (Uncle Scrooge, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories), and now down to the last two Disney Afternoon books, Darkwing Duck (Boom's one true hit) and the new Ducktales. And Boom's already announced that the October issues will be the last of those.

Since I don't have much trust in Marvel's business practices, fat chance of the classic books--the ones I've been buying for twenty years--coming back. At best, they'll all be a bunch of new fucking #1s, a gimmick that I've gotten really really tired of, especially lately.

Ah well, CDRR was a great book while it lasted.

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 2:00 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
hold on ? no more dark wing ?

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 7:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

jason knetge wrote:
hold on ? no more dark wing ?

That's what it stands at right now. Issues 17 and 18 will come out in October, along with Ducktales #6, and that's it for Boom's involvement with Disney, except maybe some trade paperbacks reprinting the comics.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2011, 2:23 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Nooooooo.....

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 1:11 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Since I learned a couple of favourite cartoon characters are showing up in comics, my interest in this topic has flared up again after... hmm... very nearly three years! Fritz, and anyone else who cares, have you any opinion on the return of Tammy and/or Foxglove, hitherto one-shot characters from Chip and Dale's show?

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 7th, 2013, 10:32 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Since I learned a couple of favourite cartoon characters are showing up in comics, my interest in this topic has flared up again after... hmm... very nearly three years! Fritz, and anyone else who cares, have you any opinion on the return of Tammy and/or Foxglove, hitherto one-shot characters from Chip and Dale's show?

I thought it was well done--heck, I thought the whole series was well done. Too bad it ended far too early, and too bad Marvel hasn't shown any interest in continuing it, Darkwing Duck, or the classic Disney books.

I guess Disney said they can't put Wolverine in all of them, so Marvel really doesn't care about doing them.

I think of the two specific characters, Foxglove's return was definitely handled better, with some very cute scenes between her and Dale, and a bit of development of Foxglove's background and family--albeit with a tragic twist. Tammy felt a little more slapdash, like "We'd better do this so her fans stop complaining quick".

Gah...just talking about it is making me miss it...this was actually the second time CDRR's comic series got snuffed out before it's time by company politics...