It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:17 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Crossing generations
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 1:11 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
So, I work at a nature center. Most of my job is not nearly as interesting as you might think (paperwork etc) but the best part of my job is leading hikes and programs for ages 1-100.

During October I was in charge of a good chunk of our Halloween program, for which I sneakily printed Ghostbusters coloring sheets for our promotions table. A parent asked for the source because her kid loves the show, which was pretty cool. It was also pretty cool to find discarded sheets that had the proper colors; Slimer was always green, tan jumpsuits were usually used. Neat.

Today I had a second grader point at my work keys lanyard (I got the awesome caution striped one from Spencers during October) and squeal "GHOSTBUSTERS" while we were hanging pine cone bird feeders. When asked who her favorite was she replied "Oh, that guy who was all 'get her' in the first movie! I like him." Adorable.

It just strikes me as impressive how cross-generational the series really is. Everyone knows who the Ghostbusters are, even little kids who are born into a movie generation that uses CGI and high definition. It doesn't matter that it's old and the graphics aren't all CG and special edition and etc etc etc, it's still a cultural icon.

So, out of curiosity, when and how were you introduced to the series?

I was born in 1985 and I honestly can't say the first time I watched it, just like Star Wars. It was just an 'always there' sort of thing. I remember when my parents owned a video store I'd go out, grab it off the shelf, and watch it behind the counter a lot well before I went to kindergarten. I got a bunch of the RGB toys for my fifth birthday, and I still kick myself for not keeping track of the Ecto-1 at least. So, I couldn't say WHEN I became a fan.

---

As a final note, things kids say...

Kid: "Turkeys don't migrate 'cause they can't fly, right?"
Me: "Well, wild turkeys can fly, but the kind you would get in a store can't."
Kid: "It's because they're dead."
Me: "....Well, that too."