It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:29 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Favourite Pairings!
PostPosted: February 11th, 2012, 11:02 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
I could have sworn there was already a topic about this, but after searching I couldn't find it, so anyhoo... Kind of a random topic, I know, but seeing as we're probably all shippers here in one way or another, I was interested in what other character pairings you like/read about/watch/enjoy. Here's ma list, probably forgot a few. Might be good to have some fanfic recommendations if you've got any, as well.

Ghostbusters - Egon/Janine (obviously - films, cartoons and comics)
Sex and the City - Carrie/Big (Aiden way too bland, Petrovsky way too wierd)
Harry Potter - Snape/Lily (James Potter seems to be a total arse, although really Snape isn't much better)
Harry Potter - Remus/Sirius (Fanfic - Shoebox Project made me want it)
Buffy - Buffy/Anyone but Spike (I quite liked Buffy/Giles, even though some people might find it a bit ew)
Misfits - Simon/Alisha (gotta love the fact that they're *spoiler* stuck forever in an infinite time loop, but hate that they've both now left the show.*spoiler*)
Dr Who - Doctor/No-one (the Rose stuff put me off the whole idea completely)
Sherlock - Sherlock/Molly (never, ever gonna happen thanks to the legion of Sherlock/John shippers, but after watching The Reichenbach Falls and reading the fantastic Sustain and Sustain II fanfics on AO3, my mind couldn't help but go there)
Sherlock - Sherlock/Irene Adler (chemistry was off the charts, but also makes me sad 'cause I'd like Molly to be happy)
Downton Abbey - Anna/Bates (though their love scene was a bit creepy :D)
Downton Abbey - Mary/Matthew
Game of Thrones - Jaime/Brienne
Game of Thrones - Sansa/Sandor (TV show, not the books)
Game of Thrones - Renly/Loras
True Blood - Eric/Sookie (though, to be fair, Eric/Anyone else would probably be better)
True Blood - Eric/Pam (love 'em)
CSI Original - Catherine/Grissom (Never understood Sara/Grissom)
CSI Miami - Horatio/Painful Death via exploding sunglasses (Yeeaaaaaahh!)
New Star Trek - Spock/Uhura
New X-Men - Erik/Charles (though I suppose it's featured through all the X-Men films and not just the new one/s)
X-Files - Mulder/Scully (seriously, who doesn't ship 'em? :D)
Twilight - Don't care. Don't ship anything. Hate. Hate. Hate.

I just noticed that most of my fave pairings are boringly het. Needs more slash, I feel. :D

OT - The spoiler is in black, highlight to read. When Fritz changes the board colour, I'll have to switch the colour, or else... well, spoilers ahoy!

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

Last edited by nikki on February 17th, 2012, 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Favourite Pairings!
PostPosted: February 11th, 2012, 11:37 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
nikki wrote:
I could have sworn there was already a topic about this, but after searching I couldn't find it,

Your memory isn't totally mistaken, but it was on the old board:
http://ectozone.proboards.com/index.cgi ... &thread=84

nikki wrote:
I just noticed that most of my fave pairings are boringly het.

Don't feel bad. Mine are too, as noted in the linked thread.

I've tried not to get too attached to pairings in more recent years, what with the way they get Quesadaed and retconned out of existence. But the old favorites still provoke me when they're messed with (just ask Erik Burnham :lol: )

PostPosted: February 12th, 2012, 12:59 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Game of Thrones, yay! :D Brienne is freaking awesome, I swear she's one of the only characters on that show that is good to a fault. And Renly and Loras, o lawd!

Speaking of Harry Potter...Look up an author called Stoplight Delight on FF.N, you won't be disappointed.

I actually wasn't a fan of Spock and Uhura...But then again, Uhura in the new films seemed a lot different than TOS Uhura.

Ditto on the Twilight. I'm on Team Go-To-College-And/Or-Make-Something-Of-Yourself-You-Stupid-Kid. But alas, abusive boyfriends and creepers seem to have won out. That's not a vampire, it's an allegory for being so low on self confidence you have to behave like your boyfriend is the be-all-end-all of your existence and you could never make anything of yourself without his approval. Disgusting.

As for me...

Ghostbusters (cartoons and movies): Janine/Egon (obvious choice is obvious)
Megamind: Megamind/Roxanne
Full Metal Alchemist (any version): Mustang/Hawkeye
Sherlock (new movies): Sherlock/Irene Adler (though my God can you see the John/Sherlock)
Sherlock (new BBC series): Sherlock/no one.
Modern Faerie Tales (this is a YA series): Val/Ravis from Ironside, the only book in the series actually worth reading.
Chipmunks (yes, Chipmunks): Simon/Jeanette because of a fic I randomly stumbled onto that was set when they were in about their thirties. I wish I could find it again because its one of those 'ANYTHING can be well written' examples.

Yeah, I'm pretty boringly het too...I think it'd be different if slash was strongly canon. Like, I can see it happening, but when another option is presented with stronger evidence I go with that. Such as John/Sherlock, but John gets married and Sherlock has chemistry with Irene.

Edit: Here is that fic I was talking about: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4062227/1/W ... _Eggshells

Last edited by APaleHorse on February 14th, 2012, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 12th, 2012, 6:18 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz wrote:
Your memory isn't totally mistaken, but it was on the old board:
http://ectozone.proboards.com/index.cgi ... &thread=84

Whoa! Seems I've got a longer memory than I thought. :lol:

Fritz wrote:
I've tried not to get too attached to pairings in more recent years, what with the way they get Quesadaed and retconned out of existence. But the old favorites still provoke me when they're messed with (just ask Erik Burnham :lol: )

Well, looking at my list, realistically most of the pairings won't ever happen due to one thing or other and canon certainly doesn't help (seriously, Simon/Alisha still hurts), but I think sometimes liking a relationship that didn't/won't happen is better than shipping something which ends up having all the greatness sucked out of it because it gets dragged along relentlessly in canon and ends up ruining it completely (Buffy/Spike, House/Cuddy, even Mulder and Scully went a bit stale). Sometimes fan service is a bad, bad thing. Saying that, though, I'd love for Janine and Egon to get together in the comics. :D 

APaleHorse wrote:
Yeah, I'm pretty boringly het too...I think it'd be different if slash was strongly canon. Like, I can see it happening, but when another option is presented with stronger evidence I go with that. Such as John/Sherlock, but John gets married and Sherlock has chemistry with Irene.

I've never seen the films, but I've heard that they certainly play up the Holmes/Watson pairing. In the BBC series sometimes I can see John/Sherlock, but mainly they just seem to come across as two very close friends. I dunno. But I do find it adorable that most other characters assume they are together, while Sherlock and John are constantly denying it. :D Maybe if I'd seen the films I'd be more of a Holmes/Watson shipper.

Speaking of Sherlock, maybe half the reason I ship Sherlock/Molly is that it is similar to Egon/Janine. He's largely oblivious to her obvious crush on him, and I find the way he acts particularly cruel to Molly when she's dating someone, or when he thinks she's dating someone, to be reminiscent of the petulant jealous behaviour Egon displays when Janine is dating someone. Egon and Sherlock's characters are quite similar to each other (intellectual types who hang around labs way too often and ignore the basics such as eating when they are caught up in something), and I think Molly and Janine are similar in the way they both step up to the plate when trouble is occurring. I tell ya, I wasn't looking for that relationship when I started watching Sherlock, but by the end of the last episode and after re-watching it again, it does seem strangely familiar. :D

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2012, 1:33 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Good point on that, yes, they are similar characters. I will say that movie!Egon strikes me as more close to BBC!Sherlock then cartoon!Egon. Movie!Egon strikes me as a total jerk around anyone who isn't already in his circle, almost a sociopath (which not all sociopaths are bad people, they just don't exactly relate properly) which by Holmes' own admission he is a high functioning example of. Which is why Janine or Molly are good foils to them; Molly is sweet natured and Janine just doesn't take crap - a role which Watson can also fill.

Have you seen any of the newer episodes? Hound of Baskerville was awesome.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2012, 2:01 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Whoa, I'm late to reply... sorry 'bout that.

Yeah, I've seen all of the episodes. Kind of wish there were more than three per season, but what can ya do? :)

Got plenty of theories about the end of The Reichenbach Fall episode, probably none of them correct, but it's good to trawl the interwebs to see what other people think. Gotta say, my favourite Holmes is and probably will always be Jeremy Brett, but Cumberbatch is a close second. I should really see the films, but much as I love Robert Downey Jr, I just can't get my head around the idea of him being Holmes.

This is turning into a Sherlock Holmes topic, isn't it? :lol:

PostPosted: February 26th, 2012, 3:37 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Ghostbusters (movies and cartoon)- Egon/Janine Ray/Elaine
Harry Potter Harry/Ginny

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: February 26th, 2012, 6:19 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

SuperStantzio wrote:
Harry Potter Harry/Ginny

:lol: I understand there's some corners of the internet where admitting that is just asking for a flame war.

But then again, I eventually found myself agreeing with Donny (in the original version of this thread) that Ichigo and Orihime would be my pairing of choice in Bleach, and that's pretty much also a flame bait position in some quarters (And even I admit that if Tite Kubo decides to officially pair Ichigo with anyone, it'll be Rukia. But he's also said in the past Bleach isn't a romance comic, so there may never be an official resolution) Ah well, the hilariously violent and dysfunctional Shinji and Hiyori should probably be a safe...oh, wait, the latest chapter reveals he's gone back to Soul Society and being Captain of Squad 5 and she's still on Earth? F***.

I have to mention Eduardo and Kylie, of course. I can't believe I didn't in the original thread. Maybe I thought they were too obvious.

One of the reasons I try not to get too attached to couples as much anymore can be laid square at the feet of Grant Morrison and Joe Quesada, and Morrison's New X-Men. I was big on Scott and Jean Summers back in the 1990's, and then Morrison took over and trashed twenty years of stories with his "It was only a childhood fling that lingered too long" bullshit retcon, so he could kill Jean and turn Scott into a militaristic whoremonger. At least there's some in-story justification for Scott turning into a dick: it happened after Apocalypse posessed him for a couple of years. I figured Nur screwed with Scott's emotions not just because Nur's an evil asshole, but out of self preservation: through clones and dimension travel, four characters derived from Scott and Jean's DNA had (or were fated to) become powerful opponents. Ruin Scott's love for Jean, and the chance of another little Cable, Stryfe, X-Man, or Mother Askani being born, growing up, and giving him crap is reduced.

But trying to say "It was never real love"? Epic f***ing fail. F*** Morrison with a rusty spoon on this one. Find a mini-series called The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix to see the Summers family done right. It's one of my favorite comic stories of all time.

I lightly supported Lelouche and Kallen in Code Geass, but pretty much figured from the beginning that one or the other would probably be dead by the end of the series. I was right.

And thanks to Don Rosa, I eat up good Scrooge McDuck/Goldie O'Gilt stuff. Granted outside Barks' original story ("Back to the Klondike") and Rosa's own works, there's not a lot of it. Quality over Quantity, I guess. (But again, Uncle Scrooge is about exciting adventures looting ancient ruins and outsmarting Flintheart Glomgold and the Beagle Boys, so romance should be rare.)

PostPosted: April 19th, 2012, 7:08 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I've got vaguely interested in couples from TV and literature over the years, but a while ago I decided on my Big Six. One is Eduardo and Kylie, and I've said enough about them. Also...

The Adventures of Sinbad: Sinbad and Maeve. This show was far from perfect, and a lot of people hate it, but it just spoke to me for some reason - and I like how it doesn't pretend to be anything it's not.

Danny Phantom: Danny and Sam.

The Chipmunks: Alvin and Brittany - by far the most compelling dynamic of the three canon couples, imho.

Hey Arnold: Arnold and Helga.

Blazing Dragons: Flicker and Flame. They were my avatar here for a while, before I settled on an EGB screen cap. I've mentioned the show a couple of times before, and I think possibly someone said, 'I remember that show' (if you're here, that person, do check out the link in my signature!). These two were victims of the old new-executives-coming-along-and-ruining-it syndrome, to the annoyance of many fans, I'm sure - but hardly anyone seems to remember it now. Shame.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 2:46 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Aries
As a GI Joe fan, I like Flint/Lady Jaye and Scarlett/Duke. I also prefer Lt. Falcon with Jinx, but for some reason I can't seem to fathom, she ended up with Budo. Oh yeah, and Shipwreck with Cover Girl. Why do other people pair up Cover Girl with Beachhead? I mean, he doesn't believe in using deodorant. Seriously, I shit you not there. And let's not forget, Mainframe with Zarana. C'mon a good guy with a Cobra agent? Hot Drama galore!

And like nikki I also prefer Catherine with Gil Grissom in CSI. Why they chose Sara Sidle is beyond logic. UGH!

And I love Amy and Sheldon in TBBT.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2016, 10:07 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

(I don't ship slash unless it's canon, actually.)

Ghostbusters (movie, cartoon and comics): Egon/Janine (DUH!) I never noticed Eduardo/Kylie when I watched EGB as a kid, but now that I've read fanfics and rewatched the episodes, I can totally see it. I also see a love triangle between Holtzmann, Gilbert and Kevin in the reboot (And I'm totally gonna get flamed for that).

The Adventures of Tintin: Haddock/Castafiore.

Harry Potter: Ron/Hermione, cos they come off as realistic to me. Also, Dumbledore/Grindelwald.

Firefly: Mal/Inara, Kaylee/Simon and, of course, The Washburnes with each other.

The Mentalist: Jane/Lisbon and Rigsby/Van Pelt.

The Big Bang Theory: Sheldon/Amy, Leonard/Penny and Bernadette/Howard.

Sherlock (BBC): Sherlock/Molly, Sherlock/Irene, John/Mary, Mycroft/Food and Sherlock/Drugs.

Doctor Who: Jenny/Vastra, Amy/Rory and 11th Doctor/Me.

Transformers G1 (Yes, that's a thing): Optimus Prime/Elita One.

Deadpool (movie): Deadpool/Vanessa.

Downton Abbey: Mary/Matthew, Mary/Henry Talbot, Anna/Bates, Carson/Mrs Hughes

Star Trek (original): Kirk/Spock is my only exception in my personal slash-shipping rule, as they're non-canon. Spock/Nurse Chapel (They give me Egon/Janine vibes). Also Kirk/Enterprise, Scotty/Enterprise and Scotty/Scotch.

Star Trek (new): Spock/Uhura and Kirk/Carol Marcus.

Lord of the Rings: Arwen/Aragorn and Sam/Rose.

Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey? As far as I'm concerned, those slights to humanity do not exist.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2016, 3:36 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Scorpio
I will give this thread a little push and talk about my favorite pairings. In advance I must say that I usually do not get what I want but hey, that’s okay *sniffle*

Ghostbusters (Movies, Cartoons, Comics): Who would have thought - Egon and Janine (it was a rollercoaster ride but in the end: no they didn’t), Peter and Slimer (sorry, I couldn’t resist ;) )

Star Trek (Original): Spock/Uhura (nope)
Star Trek (New Timeline): Spock/Uhura (aren’t they cute?)

Star Trek (Next Generation): B.Troy/Worf (looked good for a while, but…)

Star Trek (Deep Space Nine): Kira/Odo (yes, but…nah, I won’t spoil, just in case), J.Dax/J.Bashir (no)

Harry Potter: Harry/Hermione (no, because why would a pretty and smart girl want to meet eye to eye with her boyfriend? Go for the retarded redhead!)

Sleepy Hollow: Ichabod/Abby (I do not want to talk about it!)

IT-Crowd: I always thought Roy and Jen had a nice dynamic but this show was never meant to be romantic so that’s okay.

TBBT: Sheldon/Amy (What, wait? Really? Yes! Jackpot!)

Warehouse 13: Pete/Myka (yeah, I’m having a run here!)

NCIS: Tony/Kate (oh, well), Abby/McGee (that’s one biiiig “Maybe”)

Elementary: Sherlock/Joan (yes, bite me, you “romance-destroys-friendship”-guys, because: no, it doesn’t)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow/Tara

Angel: Angel/Cordelia

Will & Grace: Will/Jack (I have to admit that I stopped watching the show at one point and I don’t even know whether I got my wish or not)

Guess, I am joining the “mostly-het”-club, too. :)

Edit:
I forgot Steve/Jackie from "That ’70s Show" - too bad the writers messed everything up in the end. :(
And I just thought of Kim/Ron in "Kim Possible".

Last edited by Sandra on October 9th, 2016, 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2016, 4:06 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

:lol: Thanks for the bump...it kinda reminds me...

Fritz wrote:
But then again, I eventually found myself agreeing with Donny (in the original version of this thread) that Ichigo and Orihime would be my pairing of choice in Bleach, and that's pretty much also a flame bait position in some quarters (And even I admit that if Tite Kubo decides to officially pair Ichigo with anyone, it'll be Rukia. But he's also said in the past Bleach isn't a romance comic, so there may never be an official resolution) Ah well, the hilariously violent and dysfunctional Shinji and Hiyori should probably be a safe...oh, wait, the latest chapter reveals he's gone back to Soul Society and being Captain of Squad 5 and she's still on Earth? F***.

Spoilers ahead:

In the final two chapters of the Bleach manga, released a month or so back, they do one of those "Ten Years Later" flash forwards...and to my pleasant surprise, Ichigo and Orihime got married and had a son, Kazui. Rukia married her old friend (who obviously had the hots for her pretty much the entire series) Renji and they had a daughter, Ichika.

Seems like these things work out the way I want them to so rarely it's kind of shocking when one does.

PostPosted: October 8th, 2016, 7:33 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

When I made my pairings list here, I forgot that I even have a pairing in the original Sherlock Holmes stories and, no, it's not Irene Adler. It's Sherlock Holmes/Violet Hunter from "The Adventure of the Copper Beeches." She has so much potential.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2016, 9:53 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Here's more Super Mario Bros Luigi/Daisy Mario/Peach

Peanuts comic strip Charlie Brown/Lucy van Pelt Shroeder/Marcie

Hey Arnold Arnold/Helga Gerald/Phoebe Rhonda/Curly

South Park Stan/Wendy Kyle/Rebecca Cartman/Patty Bebe/Clyde

Totally Spies Alex/OC CLover/OC Sam/OC Mandy/Arnold

Foxtrot comic strip Jason/Eileen Paige/Morton Peter/Denise

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors