It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:52 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: March 17th, 2008, 11:13 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Capricorn
For those of you who don't know what the acronym means, it refers to the fan film Return of the Ghostbusters, and follows a case of a Denver team. I know that there are some serious problems regarding the compatability of this movie with the GBOT, first of which comes to mind is Ed Spengler, the leader of the team. Seriously, does he have to be Egon's nephew? A more distant relative would work, and allow him to keep the Spengler name. Thoughts on how you would make the movie Timeline-compatible, Fritz?

PostPosted: March 17th, 2008, 2:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
First and foremost, of course, is that if they're not worried about it being totally GBOT-compatible, that's their right. I can't "make" anybody fit in.

That being said, this came up somewhere else a year or two back. I agree that trying to shoehorn in a nephew into Egon's backstory is problematic; I had to push things quite a bit to make Jen Spengler work.

I really wouldn't want to retcon in another Egon sibling; and it would be up to Jen and Ed if they wanted to make their characters brother and sister (I don't get an impression they'd really like the idea, though I could be wrong)

If it were really up to me, though, I'd make Ed a Spengler cousin: he's a descendant of the Lewistown branch of the family, as established in the animated episode "If I Were A Witch Man", which in GBOT is the ancestry of Katharine Melton, Egon's Mom (a different branch of the family stayed in Poland until the 1930's, when Edison and Cyrus's parents emigrated to America, per the unused GB2 backstory.); Spengler was the maiden name of Katharine's mother, so I'd suggest saying that Ed's paternal grandfather was Katharine's first cousin; Ed's father would be Egon's second cousin, and thus Ed would technically be Egon's second cousin once removed (and a third cousin of the Spengler Twins). He could still call Egon "Uncle" informally, though.

Just my two...or maybe ten...cents on that.
:)

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2008, 12:26 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Isn't the far bigger problem the fact that the central plot device...isn't how traps work AT ALL? The only reason you're not supposed to look is it could blind you.

I'm fairly certain I've seen casual references to a Denver franchise in fan fics before...fan fics by groups that are timeline-integrated. But this particular story is impossible to reconcile. You just can't steal human souls with a ghost trap.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2008, 2:05 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Location: New York, New York. Manhattan Island (SoHo district)
Zodiac: Scorpio
Who the Hell came up with THAT shitty idea?

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2008, 10:49 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Hank Braxtan, I'm assuming.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2008, 10:26 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I gotta admit, I don't really care for that idea either. It doesn't really make much sense even if you consider the movies alone (Egon does, after all, look at the trap the first time it's used)...and just plain doesn't work at all when you throw in the cartoons, where they saw open traps numerous times and didn't even make much pretense of "Don't look at the trap"

Heck, look at "Buster The Ghost", where they rig the ECU to act like one big ghost trap to clear out GBCentral of all of its squatters. They did wear ecto-goggles, but more to drown out the extremely bright light. No suggestion that their souls were in danger from it.

The traps suck in ectoplasm, true. But unless someone's soul is seperated from it's body--or the body is molecularly destabilized, per "Egon's Ghost" "The Boogeyman is Back"--normal matter is not drawn into it, as a rule. At least that's how it works in my stories.

My position is this: I'm not going to say the Denver franchise doesn't exist. I'm not going to say nothing they put in their well-recieved movies happened. But stuff I can't reconcile with the larger continuity I won't mention or "canonize", either.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2008, 1:46 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Fritz wrote:
I gotta admit, I don't really care for that idea either. It doesn't really make much sense even if you consider the movies alone (Egon does, after all, look at the trap the first time it's used)...and just plain doesn't work at all when you throw in the cartoons, where they saw open traps numerous times and didn't even make much pretense of "Don't look at the trap"

do you think they said that BC it was they're first time using it

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel