It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:15 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Fritz, got a question...
PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 2:18 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I was re-reading my "Ask a ninja" topic at Nightsquad and something sorta caught my attention.

Back on the first page, Mr. No-Ghost asked if I was ever gonna write an actual story about my character training with Sub-Zero and I told him I didn't plan on it, for a number of reasons. We got into a whole thing about how I have to be careful how much Mortal Kombat continuity I reference, so I don't annoy people who don't like crossovers, and how the training doesn't technically count as a story about Ghostbusters...

Aaaanyway, his response was...

Mr. No-Ghost wrote:
Well, I brought this up because Fritz briefly alluded to this in the conclusion of Gemini Rising. I was curious to know what happened, because even though MK is out of GB cannon, it's noted in the Omnibus Timeline

It's been a while since I read it, but I don't remember any Mortal Kombat references in Gemini Rising. Did I miss something or is he mistaken?

PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 3:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I just looked over the last chapter and didn't find anything. I certainly don't remember deliberately making any reference.

I don't know if Rob thought Sarim-Lar or Xodiac came from MK or something? That's really the only thing I can think of, and it seems an awful stretch.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 3:41 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Yeah, I didn't think so.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2008, 6:54 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I've been mulling over another curiosity for a while now, and I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Okay so, the way I understand it is, at the beginning of GB1, we're presented with a world where, just like in the real world, supernatural phenomena is extremely rare and extremely subject to skepticism. Cold spots, lights and shapes in photos, crazy sounding stories...et cetera.

But then all of a sudden, full-bodied ghosts can be seen and felt. The librarian, Slimer... "Everyone knows about the 12th floor...It's never been this bad, though."

This is all because Gozer is coming. The Shandor building is drawing PKE into the city, making more and more spirits that were once class 1s or not there at all become dangerous, tangible entities, allowing the Ghostbusters to succeed financially, as opposed to being broke because there are so few haunted houses in the world.

But even after Gozer is defeated, the ectosphere is still apparently stronger than it's ever been, allowing the team to keep pulling in steady, healthy business in RGB...until Zodiac Imperative damages the ectosphere and causes a drought that puts the company out of business...until XGB.

So why EXACTLY is the ectosphere so much stronger now than it's, like, ever been in human history, allowing for multiple Ghostbusters chapters all over America and the world to collect steady paychecks? Is something in particular supposed to be responsible for this incredible surge of good business for GBI that's lasted for 11 years now?

Or...do we not have an answer for that, because giving it a name might lead to someone busting it in a story, putting ourselves out of the Ghostbusters-writing business?

PostPosted: June 7th, 2008, 7:27 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
That is an extremely good question.

Among the possibilities:

It really hasn't been as big an uptick as it might seem. Compared to some pre-historical era, ie the height of Atlantis or the Mythic Ages (the Greco-Roman eras; the Middle Ages where, despite the party line of science and official history, there really were wizards, vampires, goblins, ect) the current era may still be kind of quiet. It's just that, as hinted in some stories like "Con-Fusion" and "Chronicles of Gozer", some of the supernatural communities (the Order of Hermes, the vampire Clans) got better at hiding themselves and everything else.

Along with that...prior to GBI, ghost hunters didn't operate publicly. The Order of Hermes, the Shadow Chasers, the Inquisition, ect. try their best to not draw attention to themselves. There were ghosts/demons/ect. in appreciable numbers, they just were taken out more quietly.

In "Dreams Reborn, Part One" Ray relates somewhere that the 1990's ectosphere trough was the lowest point in supernatural activity since the Order of Hermes began it's recorded history in 767.

It could also just simply be cyclic. Maybe the 1980's began a general rise in the PKE level. It could just be higher than it had been for an undetermined period of time; the Zodiac Imperative was a shock that drained it, certainly, but it recovered and continues to rise.

Maybe the fact that the living human population continues to rise; maybe more people causes the general level of PK in the ectosphere to rise.

Maybe most of the demonic powers had left Earth alone for a while; it came into their field of awareness again because of Gozer's spectacular attack on it, thus drawing the attention of more entities than before.

Just some thoughts--none of those are going to necessarily be GBOT "canon" any time soon.

I'd be interested what everyone else thinks.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2008, 9:52 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Fritz wrote:
It could also just simply be cyclic. Maybe the 1980's began a general rise in the PKE level. It could just be higher than it had been for an undetermined period of time; the Zodiac Imperative was a shock that drained it, certainly, but it recovered and continues to rise..

that's the first thing that came to my mind as well .

Fritz wrote:

Among the possibilities:

It really hasn't been as big an uptick as it might seem. Compared to some pre-historical era, i.e. the height of Atlantis or the Mythic Ages (the Greco-Roman eras; the Middle Ages where, despite the party line of science and official history, there really were wizards, vampires, goblins, ect) the current era may still be kind of quiet. It's just that, as hinted in some stories like "Con-Fusion" and "Chronicles of Gozer", some of the supernatural communities (the Order of Hermes, the vampire Clans) got better at hiding themselves and everything else.

Along with that...prior to GBI, ghost hunters didn't operate publicly. The Order of Hermes, the Shadow Chasers, the Inquisition, ect. try their best to not draw attention to themselves. There were ghosts/demons/ect. in appreciable numbers, they just were taken out more quietly.

one could also sat that people were more spiritual religious and superstitious in the past . that's to say that some aren't still l that . it's just that in the past people had a lot more knowledge of the supernatural and took steps to keep from pissing stuff off.

also back during the times of the inquisitions . there was a big push to get rid all the witches and wizards , ect . getting ride of a lot of the ones known fore summoning up stuff .

Also remember in GBE the Eiffel tower was a ECU

Fritz wrote:

Maybe the fact that the living human population continues to rise; maybe more people causes the general level of PK in the ectosphere to rise.

Maybe most of the demonic powers had left Earth alone for a while; it came into their field of awareness again because of Gozer's spectacular attack on it, thus drawing the attention of more entities than before.

well one can sat the all the death in WWII could have helps with that . it cold have stirred up some of the dormant stuff and start in back on the rise .

Also maybe most of the demonic powers decided to lay low in the hopes that humanity would forget about them . waiting for a time were there are less wizards and stuff. they never for saw that there would be some thing that any one could slap on and use to defeat them .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel