All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: September 16th, 2007, 4:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Previous Discussion

A tale of the lost years between RGB and EGB

For Worse Or For Better, Part One
By EGB Fan and Fritz Baugh (Mostly EGB Fan)

1992--Timeline Year Ten
Two months after the Ghostbusters broke up, Dana Barrett has only recieved one cryptic note from Peter Venkman. Until he turns up at her doorstep, ready to make the committment he couldn't before...

For Worse Or For Better, Part Two

So is it going to happen? Are Peter Venkman and Dana Barrett going to be married at long last?
---------------------------------------------------
This story was both built from and defined the GBOT take on Venkman and Dana. We "knew" from the movies she was Venkman's girlfriend for a while, dumped him, married Andre "The Stiff" Wallance, had Oscar, divorced The Stiff, and eventually came back to Venkman. But then she wasn't in the animation.

In EGB, Venkman was out in Hollywood. (A fact that I had shamelessly exploited in the GBWC origin story)

So a workable solution was this: after the Vigo crisis Dana gets a great offer from the LA Symphony. She eventually decides to take it, and moves to LA, which both explains why she wasn't in RGB after GB2 and gives Venkman a little extra reason to Go West when the Ghostbusters fall apart.

It isn't expressly stated in the story, at least not as I remember, but I can't rule out the effect of Egon and Janine's As Dreams Fade flame-out on Venkman's decision. He already lost Dana once before, and watching his oldest friend commit relationship suicide had to spur some of this action . "Hell no, I'm not ending up like Egon..."

And here's where it comes together. Peter Venkman putting to rest some of the ghosts of a life that (he thinks) is dead forever. Embracing a new life and new possibilities. I think it holds up quite well, with him coming to accept his new life--since he doesn't know, like we do, that the old life would one day come back to him too.