It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:13 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2007, 3:08 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Here's a topic that I started on the other board. What do you all think about RGB slash fics? I find most of them somewhat disgusting and way out of character for the guys. I definetly think it's not my cup of tea. :o

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2007, 4:38 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Aforementioned topic on the old board, which got surprisingly long and headed

I have nothing against gay characters in principle, but there's just too much canon that says "Hello, they're not gay, sorry."

Venkman: Are you paying attention? Dana Barrett? All those women he chases around in the cartoons?

Ray: Depending on your interpretation of the canon, either has intimate relations with a female-looking ghost, or even more tellingly, has dreams about intimate relations with a female ghost. And in "Look Homeward, Ray", it was Elaine Fuhrman he had a crush on, not Alan Favish.

Egon: Two words: Janine Melnitz

Janine: Spends 99% of the canon material interested in Egon Spengler, 1% on others (Louis Tully, Paul Smart, Gregor Samsa). None are women.

Winston: Sorry, has a girlfriend off-camera mentioned in various episodes, and seen in one issue of the Now comic.

Louis: Lusted after Dana Barrett in GB1. Has fling with the doped-up slut posing as Janine in GB2. Niether are men.

Dana Barrett: Is the only character who has actually procreated in canon. Andre Wallance and Peter Venkman--not women.

Original characters who are gay? I don't want to read anything explicit about it, but as long as you're not abusing a canon character's backstory to do it, I got no problem.
---------------------
I freely admit I don't understand the impulse that creates slash. I'm involved in some anime fandom, and believe me--it's even worse there.

To repeat/paraphrase some stuff I wrote on one of the Digimon boards:

The quickest way to start a fight in Gundam Wing fandom is to suggest that Heero Yuy and Relena Darlian have **gasp** heterosexual feelings for each other. You go to the Digimon section of FFN and you'll run into the Tai/Matt (yeah, there's a way to solve the Tai/Sora/Matt problem, write her out of it :roll: ) Davis/Ken, Marcus/Thomas stuff quicker than you can say "Digi-Armor Ener-Gize"

I sometimes feel like the most old-fashioned guy in anime fandom, because I prefer to look for interesting heterosexual relationships.
I never say never, but the slash stuff is just not my cup of tea. I can't stop someone from writing a story where Egon is cornholing Venkman, but they can't make me like it, either.

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2007, 4:40 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Cancer
I don't like GB slash either...as you said, all the hints in the series point towards the guys being heterosexual.

...then again, I wouldn't be surprised if Peter - or at a stretch, Ray - had "experimented" at university. But no, I definitely don't want to see them playing tunnels 'n' trains with each other, thank you. :lol:

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2007, 5:03 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

I agree with that. Because I cannot see any of the guys in homosexual relationships with each or with an original male character. For those who write them, I'm not going to stop them from doing so but they cannot make read them either.

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 6:40 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

In our discussion on the old board, I seem to remember I brought it forward to EGB, and to what is generally termed "femslash" (what a horrible expression). Can't think why I did that.

Anyway, anyone who's read my last couple of stories will know that I've made two canon characters have a homosexual relationship. I thought I might get at least one complaint, but these ladies only had one unusually poor episode tacked onto the end of EGB - I don't think anybody cares.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: December 12th, 2007, 1:39 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

It's definitely not my cup of tea and like mentioned before, none of the RGB are even remotely homosexual.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2007, 11:45 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

[quote="Michele"It's definitely not my cup of tea and like mentioned before, none of the RGB are even remotely homosexual.[/quote]

I agree with you on that Michele. And none of the guys had any homosexual tendecies.

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2007, 6:04 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
I'm not homophobic, but it makes me ill. Sometimes I try to force-feed myself to read them, but I just want to hurl. It's just seems 'not right' for characters who are clearly heterosexual. And those fics are mostly angsty too. What's that word for fanfiction that has a lot of affection between characters of the same sex, not necessarily reflecting sexual feelings...smarm? The jury is still out on that one with me...

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2007, 10:03 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

oh to answer your question, rgbforever. They are called swarm fics and I've read some of those and they are mostly angsty filled and hardly any of them were normal written.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 9:37 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

I can't even go on the Gundam Wing section of FF.net anymore. Personally, I blame the director who explicitly stated that he didn't know how to do romance well. The only utterly undeniable evidence of a heterosexual relationship in GW is Treize stating, "Lady Une's feelings for me have caused her to develop a split personality."

Also the thought of GB slash makes me ill as well.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2008, 3:31 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

[color=#BF00FF] I agree with you on that Aidan. I used to read some RGB Slash fics then I found them quite disgusting now. It's mostly Peter and Egon going at it. Sometimes it can be Ray and Winston, too. There is no evidence that any of the guys or Janine are homosexual. :o [color=#BF00FF]

PostPosted: January 14th, 2008, 5:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I really wish I understood it, but I don't. Hang around at FFN or Godawful Fan Fiction (registration required to see much of anything) long enough, you learn that deranged fangirls do the same thing in every sprocking fandom.

Think Harry Potter likes girls? Hermione? Cho? Ginny? Hah hah, the fangirls laugh. His true love is Draco Malfoy!!!

If you think, just because the Doctor travels around the universe with numerous young, attractive women, and his very first companion was his granddaughter, that his Twu Wub isn't either the Master or that guy who got spun off into Torchwood, the fangirls will correct you.

I've seen mention GAFF of slashfics starring House and Phoenix Wright, and that 's just off the top of my head. There should be a Law of the Internet, if there isn't already, along the lines of Rule 34: "If it has more that two male characters in it, somebody somewhere will write those two characters in a slashfic, even if they hate the piss out of each other in canon."

So I guess Venkman/Egon stories are par for the course; there'd probably be more if the fandom was more active. Oh Grife, one more reason to fear the video game becoming a huge hit...

PostPosted: January 14th, 2008, 10:20 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Scorpio
Fritz wrote:
So I guess Venkman/Egon stories are par for the course; there'd probably be more if the fandom was more active. Oh Grife, one more reason to fear the video game becoming a huge hit...

Maybe, when you play the video game, if you enter the correct sequence on the keypad/controller, it'll unlock a Slash scene! :x :roll: [vomit] We need a vomiting Smiley.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2008, 3:51 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Fritz wrote:
Think Harry Potter likes girls? Hermione? Cho? Ginny?

Hermione? Hermione?

Have you read the books yet?

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: January 15th, 2008, 8:58 am 
Administrator
Administrator

No. I haven't even seen the latest movie (though Dad got the DVD for Christmas--I just need to sit down and watch it) But I do know enough to know Harry/Hermione is not in the cards. But compared to Harry/Draco, it's the epitome of sense.

Quote:
We need a vomiting Smiley.

I can install one. Which one would everyone prefer? Non-animated barfing Slimer:

Or this wonderful, but more generic, animated one?