It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:51 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Newbie Fan Fic questions
PostPosted: June 25th, 2008, 7:34 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
I am thinking about doing a Fan Fic based off the timeline. I am not sure yet but I think I'm going to ignore the new ghostbuster 3d game coming out.

Anyways, I wanted to make a ghostbusters which would be more like DC Justace Legue, being that there would be 3 places across the USA (NY, Chicago, LA, and later MIMI) and yes Winston and Ray will be part of this, all the EGB and a few other possible characters.

Time: 2009

Anyways before I even dare think about doing anymore brain storming and writing out basic maps and trees and such, I want to know if any other fan fics have already went down this type of thing. Because, I don't want to write something that is basically half written by someone else.

Thanks

PostPosted: June 25th, 2008, 9:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I think I'm going to need a little more to go on before any of us can say more about it.

That being said, I do definitely want to hear more about your ideas.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2008, 8:35 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
devilmanozzy wrote:
Anyways, I wanted to make a ghostbusters which would be more like DC Justace Legue, being that there would be 3 places across the USA (NY, Chicago, LA, and later MIMI) and yes Winston and Ray will be part of this, all the EGB and a few other possible characters.

Something like this, perhaps?

http://forums.ghostbusters.net/viewtopi ... 62&start=0

PostPosted: June 26th, 2008, 3:43 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Fritz wrote:
I think I'm going to need a little more to go on before any of us can say more about it.

That being said, I do definitely want to hear more about your ideas.

I'm still reading Fan Fics posted on your website, so I want to know more of what is already out there first, and also if I can write my Fan fic to fit with the other fan fics out there. My major goal is to make something that is fun to read for anyone. However, I want something that my fellow fans can like and not be annoyed by. Your site has so far been a great help in understanding the whole ghostbuster story past what the shows had presented.

I need to make sure I can tie in atleast one important character per place. Need to tie in also other Fan fic characters for possible cameros and such, tho I want to spend time making exciting new ghost storys.

Names and such are in the works.
Idea for name of this: Ghostbusters United
basic idea:
New York is the Ghostbusters United Front and there is regional as well, then the actually ghostbusters of all sorts(new jersey, tampa, so on). Egon runs New Yorks United Front which also works as regional for east coast and for UK's Ghostbusters, with help from 4 new crew members. Winston so far looks to be the regional leader for the midwest (Chicago, IL) of which he has recruited 5 members. Then in L.A. there is the third region with Ray running it with 4 new members. Theres going to be the idea of conferences talking about ghostbusters lugestics and brand name issues, and dealing with needs of Ghostbusters in all parts of the world. Big cases that may need help outside of a given ghostbuster place will go through the regional office and sometimes the United Front.

Stories for this will hopefully include other ghostbuster fanfic people, but not as base of series idea but as camieos and nods to other fan fics.

Ghosts an stuff will be mostly new as I want to write new stuff and not spend all my time rerunning sequal ghost stories. I plan however to have a few old baddies of the RGB and XGB to make some stories as one story will have ghosts getting out of the ecto containment through a character trying to become a god, and in a crazy effort actually gets into the neitherworld and develps a plan to make him a God (which fails, cause ghosts can't be trusted), and he releases about 30 ghosts that were ready for him to release them plus somemore that got lucky during the break. (Egon will later tell the number of ghosts out, and it should be around 50 of them)

Ok theres all I got so far, I also want to do turn-arounds and design sheets for every character in Ghostbusters United and I'm thinking about storyboarding the stories too. (I'm attending college to be an animator and this ties the project to my major)
This isn't a Overnite idea, and I at this point stress the term *Idea* and that means I'm still even debating if I'll do this, and if I'm doing this alone or with help. Probably I'll get help atleast from a proof-reading standpoint, and animation help and advise from friends and connections at my school. I'm going to stress also, I'm not going to do anymore than storyboard these stories. That means don't exspect a animation from me. Think of this as fan fic with a bit of pictures :D

There you go, now based on what you know, how many fan fics are going to hate my idea so far?

Arafel wrote:
devilmanozzy wrote:

Something like this, perhaps?

http://forums.ghostbusters.net/viewtopi ... 62&start=0

Nope, tho I did tell the writer to ignore some of the critisim the other people on the board have vented on him. Not everyone wants things to follow the timeline. To those who don't, they need to only think about making it good enough to still thrill us. lol
Thats a hard enough thing to do.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 2:47 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Ok, no replies here, but I talked with a few ghostheads and I decide that this idea is going to get in the way of other fan fics. Sorry about that, like I said I'm new to the fan fic thing. Atleast no one is bashing me for the idea :D

I'll do more research and come up with an idea a bit more outside the normal ghostbusters realm. I'll let you'll know what I came up with very soon.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 5:37 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
It's okay. I'm glad that you have other ideas for your fan fics. :D

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 7:10 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

SuperStantzio wrote:
It's okay. I'm glad that you have other ideas for your fan fics. :D

Well I never had a problem with coming up with ideas, its the following thru and keeping motived that I end up having. I may end up working with another fan fic already in the works instead anyways. Seems artists are needed more than ideas. lol

I don't mind lending my talents to get a project moving along.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 8:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Ozzy,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but here goes:

I don't think your ideas are bad at all. But as others have apparently indicated to you, it would cause some changes in the status quo if instituted in GBOT continuity. It's something that we try to be very careful about.

I like the fact that you have ideas; I just think that perhaps you're trying to tackle something too big right at the start.

Start small. That's what I did--there's not much in Fateful Encounter or Terror On The Jersey Turnpike that couldn't have happened in the TV shows at almost any point in the series. By the time I started "establishting" things, and going beyond the official canon, I'd done those "normal" stories and already released the orignal Timeline. People knew where I was coming from and trusted me.

That would be my advice: start with a few "classic" GB stories, or EGB stories. Show people what you can do with the characters in a relatively "safe" zone of continuity (or even don't worry about fitting into the GBOT).

Prove yourself, then you can start thinking bigger.
:)

PostPosted: July 7th, 2008, 8:57 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Fritz wrote:
Ozzy,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner, but here goes:

I don't think your ideas are bad at all. But as others have apparently indicated to you, it would cause some changes in the status quo if instituted in GBOT continuity. It's something that we try to be very careful about.

I like the fact that you have ideas; I just think that perhaps you're trying to tackle something too big right at the start.

Start small. That's what I did--there's not much in Fateful Encounter or Terror On The Jersey Turnpike that couldn't have happened in the TV shows at almost any point in the series. By the time I started "establishting" things, and going beyond the official canon, I'd done those "normal" stories and already released the orignal Timeline. People knew where I was coming from and trusted me.

That would be my advice: start with a few "classic" GB stories, or EGB stories. Show people what you can do with the characters in a relatively "safe" zone of continuity (or even don't worry about fitting into the GBOT).

Prove yourself, then you can start thinking bigger.
:)

I'll do just that, I'll come up with a story that could fit somewhere in the RGB timeline, that wont deal deeply with the timeline. Maybe a ghost idea I have floating around, and then use that to show that I understand character develpment. So now I need to research and come up with a classic or myth monster and then build character designs from it.