It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:30 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: EGB Fan's Stories
PostPosted: March 29th, 2009, 8:53 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Lol...I'm not going to spoil anything, but there was one part where a character rattled off exact dates and I said to myself "Rosey did that just for me, didn't she?"

Aforementioned dates will show up on the GBI/Fan Fic Timeline tomorrow, by the way. :)

PostPosted: March 29th, 2009, 10:00 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Fritz wrote:
Lol...I'm not going to spoil anything, but there was one part where a character rattled off exact dates and I said to myself "Rosey did that just for me, didn't she?"

She certainly did. I don't really know how seamless that part is, but I think it's okay, and fortunately I'm not being assessed on this story. We don't want an untidy, inconsistent timeline, now do we? :geek:

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 29th, 2009, 5:14 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Awesome story, I read it in one sitting and then really had to pee, lol.

I love the way you go from one time period to another, it's cool to see how they will turn out and then take things yoiu know about their childhood to piece their stories together.

And what can I say about wanda and Celine, they certainly keep you entertained and surprised. They should probably seek a mental health professional, but oh well.

I don't know if I've asked you this before, but I don't remember, are any of your characters based off people you know? I was just curious as to your process.

Thanks again for the great fic.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2009, 5:06 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

ghostdiva wrote:
I don't know if I've asked you this before, but I don't remember, are any of your characters based off people you know? I was just curious as to your process.

No. I find it extraordinarily difficult to write from real life. I did try basing Dana's mother on an aunt of mine, but that's never really quite worked out. Schools are filled with girls who are in many ways like Lucy Jackson appears in this story (I daresay there's more to her, though), but none of my characters is based on anybody in particular.

Thanks for your comments. :)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: May 17th, 2009, 7:12 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Early last year, I released a series of short stories about the Extreme Ghostbusters' children, focusing on a significant few days at some point in their future. Now, some time later, I've updated it with a chapter about Adam Jackson (who hasn't even been born yet!).

The story is rated T, and this chapter slots nicely into that, with a couple of mild references and one or two instances of strong language (I can't remember off the top of my head whether it's one or two, but certainly no more).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: June 21st, 2009, 12:44 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

...and the eleven-year epic (in story time, not real time) concludes with "Lucy" (still consistent with the T rating). Enjoy. 8-)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 4th, 2009, 4:35 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Extreme Ghostbusters: Smoke and Mirrors

The Ghostbusters are taking the day off to celebrate Roland's marriage. But demons don't take days off, and the party is interrupted by a woman facing criticism from someone she did not expect to see again.

Rated T for infrequent language and references.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 5th, 2009, 8:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

To paraphrase what I said when she sent me the beta, and to minimize spoilers, it's both very nostalgic yet mindful of the future, as wedding stories can tend to be. The event itself, after all, is both proceeded by a history that brought the two people there, and a definite hope for a long, happy future together.

And that doesn't just mean Roland--all of the EGB characters take stock of how much they've changed in the twelve years since they came together. And some hints about the future we "know" with Jessica just adds the right touch of looking forward as well as back.

:)

PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 4:52 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thanks for commenting, Fritz. I'm really glad you enjoyed this one. :)

I just got back from holiday, which is why I'm only just replying now. I'm kind of tired and not quite with it, so I'd better not try and say too much. :?

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 6:43 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I've written a new fanfiction, going back to my (and EGB's) roots.

Extreme Ghostbusters: We Three Queens

The Extreme Ghostbusters are approached by a mysterious young woman who claims to be having trouble with the ghost of Henry VIII.

You will find the story complete, at five chapters of fairly (I think :P) reasonable length.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 7:25 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Aries
Hey, nice story. I really liked it. Thanks

Sometimes in my job I feel just like Janine, over worked and under paid!

PostPosted: October 24th, 2011, 12:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
I've written a new fanfiction, going back to my (and EGB's) roots.

:lol: I quite understand the appeal of doing a "back to basics" story once in a while. See the upcoming "Mister Stay Puft's Christmas Adventure" for my own indulgence in that. (Albeit RGB instead of EGB)

Quote:
Extreme Ghostbusters: We Three Queens

The Extreme Ghostbusters are approached by a mysterious young woman who claims to be having trouble with the ghost of Henry VIII.

You will find the story complete, at five chapters of fairly (I think :P) reasonable length.

Grife, has it really been two years since you put out anything new? I really miss it. Hey, I can talk a little bit, it's only been four months for mine...

Ooh, and a nice historically-flavored drama, to boot. Uncle Scrooge writer Don Rosa, one of my very favorites, has always brought lots of historical research into his stories. I haven't done nearly as much of it, but sometimes you look things up and it surprises you. I was looking for real world events during the time frame of the upcoming "Toy Soldiers" and realize I'd stumbled upon a potential plot point.

Anyway...

Great story as always. Some mystery, hints of romance (including where we suspect, but this is long before Conchita and Rose), and some fun characterization--you obviously had a ball with Katie.

Missed gag opportunity early on, though: "Jane Seymour" just happens to be the professional name of an English actress who was on a well-known television show in 1997/1998.

'No, not yet, but we do know we have Jane Seymour up there.'

Kylie blinked. 'What?'

Garrett: "The chick from Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman? She's kinda hot...

There was a strange fond smirk on my face at the mention of a floppy disk. Nice little touch. Very appropriate to the 1997/1998 time frame (I guess this story could be just about anywhere in the series after "Rage", since they've already met Carlos and his family) But man, thirteen years later and it makes me feel old--my current computer doesn't even have a floppy drive.

But this business about the ghost abducting Kylie from the shower? That's just absolutely disgusting!

:lol: Yeah, of course I'm kidding. I wouldn't have any room to talk, after all...

:D

PostPosted: October 25th, 2011, 12:06 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Thank you both for reading and commenting. I had a lot of fun with this one. I've loved the Henry VIII story ever since I was nine, and the best teacher I've ever had taught it to me at school. Only recently, though, did I come up with this idea.

Fritz wrote:
...and some fun characterization--you obviously had a ball with Katie.

I mention the BBC and Showtime's The Tudors in my disclaimer. I didn't lift the characters directly from there, but I definitely took some influence from it. Like most historical dramas, the show has been criticised for not being all that historically accurate, but I care more about characterisation and The Tudors had the best characterisation and casting that I have seen in any Henry VIII adaptation.

A certain TV critic (an enemy of mine who has no idea I exist :P) kept writing, as the series went on, that the characters came across as wrong. Not her exact wording, in fairness, but that is what she meant. Actually it wasn't wrong at all. It was different because the creators and writers thought outside the box. I did a lot of my own thing, with Katie in particular, but I always bore actress Tamzin Merchant in mind when writing about her. She'd look more at home at a Justin Bieber concert than in Henry VIII's court, would she? They did that on purpose, you cretin! :x (Clearly this critic didn't realise either that not many Justin Bieber fans are over ten years of age.)

Before I finish going on about this, I must mention that Sam Neill's performance as Cardinal Wolsey was extraordinary. It is entirely thanks to him that Wolsey gets a cameo in this story.

Quote:
There was a strange fond smirk on my face at the mention of a floppy disk. Nice little touch. Very appropriate to the 1997/1998 time frame (I guess this story could be just about anywhere in the series after "Rage", since they've already met Carlos and his family) But man, thirteen years later and it makes me feel old--my current computer doesn't even have a floppy drive.

I shouldn't think anyone's does anymore. I didn't think it was that big a deal, but thank you for noticing. :P

Quote:
But this business about the ghost abducting Kylie from the shower?

I'm not really sure why that came about. It's not even as though I have an interest in showering women myself. It just seemed to be the best thing for the plot, after I'd set Henry's methods up the way I did, and going into the ticklish situation with Eduardo and Kylie. At any rate, Henry wasn't lying. He respects women to the greatest extent possible without undermining his power, and as such, he didn't look. :P

Incidentally, some very clever people have put together a doll maker based on The Tudors, which I haven't been able to leave alone. If you want to see the picture I made of Kylie in (not totally historically accurate) Tudor dress, click here.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: May 25th, 2013, 8:44 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Ghostbusters Crossover: Being Elizabeth

Dr Sam Beckett leaps into Beth Rivera, and must find a way to stop someone close to her from ruining his life.

Anyone who recognises the name Dr Sam Beckett will know that the crossover show is the classic Quantum Leap. Further (but not too lengthy) explanation appears in my author note at the start of the story.

Thanks to my brother Jake, and to your friend and mine, Fritz, for beta reading this one.

Fritz, I'm afraid I couldn't make Al come up with information that wasn't to do with the task in hand - it just didn't sit right - but I did use your other suggestion. Look for it in the last quarter of part 1. ;)

Rated K+ for mild language and moderate references (similar to what you might see in a Quantum Leap episode, really).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: May 25th, 2013, 9:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Fritz, I'm afraid I couldn't make Al come up with information that wasn't to do with the task in hand - it just didn't sit right - but I did use your other suggestion. Look for it in the last quarter of part 1. ;)

Nah, I understand. It's probably better that way anyhow.

Everybody read this story--it's great.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next