It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:21 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 5:58 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Wrote this one some time ago, decided to re-write it a bit and put it back up. This one taps into the relatively unused time period during the montage of GB2 during one of the more memorable scenes. I think most of you should be able to pick out when it takes place. Comments are appreciated!

GHOSTBUSTERS:
The Laws of Gravity

Timeline: December, 1988 (mid-Ghostbusters II)

Dr. Peter Venkman held onto the safety handle over his door for dear life as their brand new vehicle the Ecto-1a tore around the corner of 5th Avenue. He turned around in the jumper seat to look ahead. “Jeez Ray, you may have wanted to stop to peel the old lady off your windshield wipers…” Venkman said, holding on tighter.

Ray just smiled and shrugged in the driver seat. “I’m just trying to make good time, Pete.” He said, jerking the wheel to the left, sending the Ecto-1a screeching across two lanes of traffic into the parking zone of Orrefors Jewelers. Ray screeched to a halt, not even bothering to turn off the emergency lights before hopping out of the car and rushing to the tail gate door.

The other Ghostbusters hopped out of the car and followed suit, they were adorned in their charcoal Gray flight suits (also brand-new) which sported the company’s re-invented no-ghost logo. Egon unhooked the Geiger meter from his belt and made sure it was calibrated, he was also carrying his new contraption he’d built. Peter didn’t even understand how it worked really, he just knew they would need it for this special case…

Peter and Winston shouldered their heavy proton packs and strapped them on tightly, while Egon and Ray carried two steel briefcases that contained the special new trap that Spengler built.

Ray shut the back door as the four Ghostbusters trotted quickly towards the door, Egon already using the PKE meter to scan for what they were up against. As far as they knew, it was a non-hostile poltergeist that was just becoming too much of a risk to allow.

Winston Zeddemore was the first one into the shop, he was still technically the new guy even though he’d been with the company nearly five years now. He still didn’t understand a lot of what he saw, but he understood enough to know when things were bad, and as he entered that store, he knew things were bad.

Ray entered and his eyes brightened up like they usually did whenever he saw something new from the paranormal. The entire shop’s inventory was perfectly suspended 5 ½ feet off the floor. He was admittedly a total geek when it came to ghosts, he loved everything about researching them and especially catching them. It often seemed to him like he wasn’t made for anything else, which is probably why he had continued to do appearances when the company had gone out of business. He pondered all these things as he scanned each individual free-floating crystal figurine with the PKE Meter.

Egon Spengler wasn’t impressed nor fascinated by the occurrence going on in the jewelry store, he simply went straight to business, unpacking the newly built tripod traps. Each one was based upon the same basic principles as the normal traps, but these newly designed ones were intended to replace the old design and if successful, change the face of Ghost-busting completely.

--------------------------------------

The manager of Orrefors walked up, she was a rather short woman with dark curly brown hair and light hazel eyes. She nervously bit her lip as she watched the tall guy with glasses set up his tools around all the priceless crystal pieces hanging in the air. “Um… What exactly is going to happen when you… Do whatever it is you do?” She asked, her nerves pretty much shot. Before any of the others could answer though, she felt the presence of someone appearing at her side.

Peter suavely approached the cute manager of the store and used his flirtatious ‘I’m a scientist with style’ voice as he spoke. “Don’t worry about a thing, Dr. Spengler’s equipment there is designed to trap these ghosts without us having to fire our packs up. He’s been telling me that if these things work, it’ll revolutionize Ghost-busting, blah blah blah.” He said.

The manager’s eyes went wide and she looked up at him, horrified. “IF they work? You’ve never used them before?” She asked.

Peter held up his hands reassuringly. “No no no, that’s not what I meant, of COURSE we’ve used them before, in fact, Egon is a PRO with these things…” He said, putting his arm around her.

-------------------------------------

Across the room, Egon vaguely registered that Venkman had gone into one of his used car dealer speeches. He just hoped these new traps worked…

Winston followed Egon’s instructions along with Ray, unwrapping the chords and plugging them into the outlets on the opposite side of the room. They arranged the traps in a square shape around the room with the main display case in the center of the square.

Ray resisted the urge to poke one of the floating figurines as he passed by it, putting a pair of circular sunglasses on and picking up the control box. Winston picked up the second control box and stood back at the safe distance Egon had said, putting on a pair of mirrored sunglasses. Peter pulled a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses out of his breast pocket and flicked them open, winking at the manager before putting them on his face. Egon placed a pair of sunglasses that were pretty much the exact same design as his thin-rimmed spectacles on his face, hooking his normal glasses onto his pocket.

The manager furrowed her brow worriedly. “Are you sure they know what they’re doing?” She asked one final time.

Peter, who was standing slightly in front of her to block the powerful lights, turned to look at her. He was considering saying something along the lines of ‘Of course they do, we’re scientists.’ But he let it go.

Egon did one final check of the power influx rigging and the ectoplasm stabilizer before nodding to Ray and Winston.

Egon raised his hand like a conductor and twisted it around to signify how much to turn the power knobs. They raised the control boxes up in front of them and slowly began turning the power knobs in coordination with Egon’s movements. As they powered up the tripod traps, the devices hummed to life, white light began forming at the tops as the positively charged energy was released to snag the invisible poltergeists.

Egon checked the power emission reading and held up one finger, waiting for the dial to hit the appropriate mark. “And…. Hit it.” He said, pointing his finger at them. Ray and Winston turned the knobs all the way up rapidly and the traps emitted a whining sound as they opened fully, shooting out a blinding blue-white light into the room, the light refracted off each of the crystal pieces, making it more and more brilliant.

The traps reached full power and began beeping rapidly, then Egon signaled to close the traps. Ray and Winston turned the power knobs all the way off quickly, snapping the traps shut.

Two things happened at this point, one: the PKE emissions in the room disappeared, meaning the ghosts had been caught, two: Egon remembered one of the basic rules of not only science, but life in general; things fall when nothing supports them.

Every single piece of crystal hovering in the room plummeted to the ground, shattering into millions of pieces, the Ghostbusters and the employees all turned their heads, cringing. The sound of breaking glass echoed through the room and in an instant, something in the vicinity of 2 million dollars worth of crystal was destroyed.

Peter looked back at the crystal all over the floor and cringed again, thinking a moment. Even without looking at her, he knew the manager was on the verge of exploding into about as many pieces as the figurines were now in. Peter slowly turned to see her white as the spooks he chased and he opened his billing book, tearing out a billing form and holding it out. “So, will this be cash, check or credit?”

Twenty minutes later, with the sound of hysterical weeping in the background, the Ghostbusters made their way back out to the Ecto-1a, a crowd had gathered outside to catch a glimpse of the super scientist heroes called the Ghostbusters, so they played it off as if nothing went wrong, flashing big smiles for the public, except for Egon, who rarely smiled, especially not when one of his inventions didn’t work the way he’d hoped.

As they loaded their gear back into the Ecto-1a, Ray, smile still plastered on his face, whispered to Egon. “So what exactly went wrong in there?” He asked, waving to an excited little kid.

Egon simply raised an eyebrow, replacing his normal glasses onto his face. “I’d say the old trap design is still the best…” He said, climbing into the rear jumper seat. Peter just shrugged at Ray and climbed into the opposite jumper seat across from Egon. Winston didn’t say a word, he just got in the car like a kid who had gotten in trouble and didn’t move.

Ray waved at another person and shook his head. “Well look at it this way fellas… We just walked into a jewelry store, broke everything and didn’t have to pay for ANY of it… I love this job.” He said, mostly to himself at this point, climbing into the Ecto-1a. As they drove off, Ray’s mind was already back onto the tests he needed to run on the ectoplasm he’d collected in the subway…

THE END

PostPosted: July 10th, 2009, 9:35 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Very well done. I chuckle at the description of Venkman and his "Used car dealer speech" :lol:

PostPosted: July 11th, 2009, 1:03 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I like it. People using the phrase "geiger meter" is a peeve of mine, though. It's called a Giga Meter, it measures PKE in units of "giga-electron volts".

PostPosted: July 12th, 2009, 2:25 am 
Moononite
Moononite

My bad.

PostPosted: August 5th, 2009, 1:29 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Cool man. This was a funny fic .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel