It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:57 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 3:10 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
After doing some searches on Ghostbusters Wiki on google, I found people were looking mostly at the articles on ghosts there, and there has been a growing interest in having a online Tobin Spirit Guide. So Ghostbusters Wiki seeking to be different from other GBfan sites is going this route.

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Paranormal_Database

I'm looking for suggestions and support for the project.

PostPosted: May 10th, 2010, 6:58 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Still working on it, but we're getting quite a list on there. Seriously Check it out. Come on! Fritz? :D

PostPosted: May 11th, 2010, 4:03 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

You should go back and fix Slimer's name. He is not known as Orion Head, he's known as Onion Head. :lol:

Also, I'd like to challenge your classification of Vigo, I dont believe him to be a supreme being, he's a sorcerer/magician who bound his spirit to a painting and manipulated mood slime for his purposes. He was quite powerful, but I dont think he fits under "supreme being". In fact, I'm not sure I'd classify him as an "entity".

Perhaps a parallel classification system is in order, focusing on humans who use magic.

One more thing: This isnt something I'm sure of, but I THINK the severed heads in the subway were something Vigo himself threw at the Ghostbusters because they were getting too close, I dont think they themselves were an entity, I think it was just Vigo going "Hey, look what I did to the LAST people who tried to screw with me."

Okay sorry to keep adding crap, but I'm reading on, and it seems like there's quite a few mistakes on here. My knowledge of the paranormal, and how things work gives me a lot of insight into things like this, and I'd like to help you out with some stuff if you're interested. For instance: Genies are not supreme beings either, they are actually classified as Demons in the source folklore they come from.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 3:17 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Mick Nielson wrote:
You should go back and fix Slimer's name. He is not known as Orion Head, he's known as Onion Head. :lol:

Also, I'd like to challenge your classification of Vigo, I dont believe him to be a supreme being, he's a sorcerer/magician who bound his spirit to a painting and manipulated mood slime for his purposes. He was quite powerful, but I dont think he fits under "supreme being". In fact, I'm not sure I'd classify him as an "entity".

Perhaps a parallel classification system is in order, focusing on humans who use magic.

One more thing: This isnt something I'm sure of, but I THINK the severed heads in the subway were something Vigo himself threw at the Ghostbusters because they were getting too close, I dont think they themselves were an entity, I think it was just Vigo going "Hey, look what I did to the LAST people who tried to screw with me."

Okay sorry to keep adding crap, but I'm reading on, and it seems like there's quite a few mistakes on here. My knowledge of the paranormal, and how things work gives me a lot of insight into things like this, and I'd like to help you out with some stuff if you're interested. For instance: Genies are not supreme beings either, they are actually classified as Demons in the source folklore they come from.

I Fixed the misspellings of Orionhead. The entity part there is no doubt on as he ain't a substance or event, he is a ghost. However, him being a Class 7 is very debatable as he may not have had a thing to do with the mood slime at all, so he is really only a class 4 possessor and nothing else if indeed he had nothing to do with the mood slime. While in the GB II film it was suggested he had something to do with the events in the movie, which was what I based the Class 7 on. But if you look at the events with the sloar in GB: TVG, it states the sloar helped produce the mood slime along with the black slime. So really Vigo didn't do that. Also should be noted, that vigo may not have had anything to do with the events in the tunnels and the river of Slime. It was the hate and bad vibes of the city that caused the slime to rise as it was storing the evil.

As for the class 7 definition, while it isn't noted straight up, A Class 7 also can just be in charge of lots of ghosts such as Ghash and Samhain for starters.

Genies......Tough call on that one as he may or may not have been one to begin with. The Class System doesn't address things like that and focuses more on looks and abilities. But what does get tricky are shapechanges, as they usually have no definitive shape such as say Copycat. What are they? And things like fairies are very tricky. How about half human and half animal beings? Yeah lots of tough ones.

As far as someone questioning the class choices, I don't mind and infact I try to encourage it. Doesn't mean I'll change my mind or that I'll have a answer but it does help rethink it one more time.

Humans that use magic......The magic itself is a event so also Black Slime Conduits are a gateway......In either case they are a class 1. Atleast based on what I know.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 5:41 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

I see what you're saying about Vigo, but reguardless of whether or not he CAUSED the mood slime, he kept himself alive in the painting, in fact, the Ghostbusters say several times that his essence is alive and well, meaning he's not ACTUALLY a ghost, his body was just destroyed, and he's still just a powerful magician. However, if you're willing to change the definition of Class 7, I think that would be the easiest way to encompass these individual entities, because Shandor utilized the power of Gozer's cult to Ascend and become a destructor himself, so if we just alter the definition, so that it is Demigods, Supreme Beings, AND Ascended beings, I think that would be okay.

Note: "Ascension" refers to a ritual process in which a mortal being is gifted with a transition to an otherworldly state of great power. Most cases deal with a human-Demon Lord transition, but Human-Demigod transformations are possible, as Shandor demonstrated in the game.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2010, 5:23 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Mick Nielson wrote:
I see what you're saying about Vigo, but reguardless of whether or not he CAUSED the mood slime, he kept himself alive in the painting, in fact, the Ghostbusters say several times that his essence is alive and well, meaning he's not ACTUALLY a ghost, his body was just destroyed, and he's still just a powerful magician. However, if you're willing to change the definition of Class 7, I think that would be the easiest way to encompass these individual entities, because Shandor utilized the power of Gozer's cult to Ascend and become a destructor himself, so if we just alter the definition, so that it is Demigods, Supreme Beings, AND Ascended beings, I think that would be okay.

Note: "Ascension" refers to a ritual process in which a mortal being is gifted with a transition to an otherworldly state of great power. Most cases deal with a human-Demon Lord transition, but Human-Demigod transformations are possible, as Shandor demonstrated in the game.

Sorry for my delayed response. Vigo was confirmed dead in the scene in the gb II movie where Ray was telling Peter about Vigo before going in the museum to investigate the painting.

However, as for Ivo Shandor there was never any conformed info on his death. It could be the case for him. As for where a Ascension spirit or whatever its called would fit in all this, I guess It could be a Class 7. I don't know for sure tho. Like everything else, there is guess work at play here. I don't mind looking stuff up, but I will ultimately go by pure media materials such as the films, RPG (did some digging on that again last night), and the cartoons.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2010, 5:46 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Yeah, Vigo was rather...thoroughly executed. It's just that the spells he set up made it so when he died, his ghost would possess and haunt the picture he painted of himself, and then draw negative emotional energy to him over time to increase his power (in the form of mood slime) until he could leave the painting and/or possess a new body.

"His essence is alive" doesn't really mean anything, as "essence" is just another word for soul, spirit, ghost, etc.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2010, 2:33 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Well like I said, I'm willing to accept Vigo as a Class 7. I still do think that the definition should be changed a bit though.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2010, 8:48 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

As I understand it, Class 4 is definitely the right classification for Vigo. He's the spirit of a human being with a known identity. The class system isn't based on how powerful an entity you are, it's based on what KIND of entity you are.

Class 7s aren't even really ghosts. They're supposed to be creatures completely alien to Earth, coming from other dimensions and being thought of as angels, archfiends, or deities.

I'm willing to accept Shandor as a seven though even though he started out a human being, because he did usurp Gozer's place in the cosmic order and become a god himself. Vigo never really altered his nature. He was still a ghost at the end of the movie, just a very intimidating one who was stronger than the proton packs.

PostPosted: May 27th, 2010, 11:31 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Hence the term "Ascension". Shandor did so and became something entirely different than a being on our plane of existence. People need to know about Ascensions!

PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 6:58 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Trying not repeat myself too much here, but...

I've pretty sure Jeff has this one to me. Vigo died clearly as Ray said, and as GB:VG suggests, its the Sloar(or Slor) that was the one to make the river of slime. Vigo was a powerful class 4 to me. Power matters very little in the class system.

If the misunderstand could be explained, Even in the VG they used the PKE Meter to determine the ghosts class which seems unlikely. At least based on whatever I know about the PKE meter, which is it reads the levels of Psycho-Kinetic Energy.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2010, 2:22 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

The video game PKE Meter had multiple computer functions like a PDA or iPhone on a stick. It had an onboard Tobin's Spirit Guide database it cataloged everything it scanned into. That's why it was able to list class ratings even though they're not really PKE-based.