It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:00 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Fic Prompts
PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 1:38 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
I'm just going to leave this here so if anyone has ideas they don't want to write they can leave them for myself or others.

Personal strengths/weaknesses:
When I write Winston I need to have something or someone to bounce him off of. Can't write him straight up.
Rays about the same for me.
I can write Peter and Janine arguing until I'm blue in the...fingers.
Egon is more difficult because...80% introspection and 20% action or dialog. Doable.
Janine flows pretty naturally for me. Same with Peter.

Any prompts out there? One word or a sentence works for me. Can specify characters. Fills will probably be short unless I get carried away (I probably will).

Post subject: Re: Fic Prompts
PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 8:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Fights are my weakness. I think one of the two reasons I've been stalled on "Toy Soldiers" is that I've written myself to a spot where some sort of fight scene is almost mandatory, but I'm totally unenthusiastic about writing it. I experimented during the writing of "Blood Feud: Los Angeles" with, I swear to the dieties, rolling initiative with some of my RPG dice, and it did seem to help.

Even then, I have to fight myself (heh) to keep the battle from ending quickly. Even after all those years of anime for guidance. Again, I think BFLA had the best fight scenes I've ever written.

I worry that my Ghostbusters stories are a "one trick pony", and I'd like to have them stand as something more than collections of Egon/Janine scenes. I mean, I can't help but throw in references even when Egon or Janine make the smallest appearance, but as much fun as they are to write, and how much attention they've gotten for me over the years, I worry that I've overdone it.

Of course, I also worry that, now that I've basically told all of the "big event" stories with them (ie the meeting, the first time you-know-whatting, the proposal, the wedding, the Twins, and basically happily-ever-after (as established by the GB202x stories), there's not much left, and I've lost my "big draw"

(Though I realize there's one event that wasn't depicted in RGB canon or GBOT fanon. Not gonna say because I might do that story now...)

I think I'm straying from your intended point to this thread, for which I apologize. :oops:

PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 10:25 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

I wouldn't know as much of your stories, I've actually purposely avoided reading most of them in order to keep from unintentionally retreading your ground. The ones I have read I've enjoyed and didn't think of it as repetitive. I have a memory problem and tend to forget things pretty easy (and not in that "oh, haha, I forgot doi" way, it's the "that person is related to me and I don't even recognize their faces" kind of way).

Off-topic isn't so bad if it helps writers block. When I get stuck on something I walk away from it and come back later to look at it new again (especially fun when it's been a while and I forgot I even wrote said story, yes, it has happened).

Also:
Peter = Rogue, probably with a level or two in Bard for leadership (and uncanny dodge is a wonderful thing). Winston = Ranger with sure shot, high Wis and Str. Ray = Swordmage, high Cha and Int. Egon = Alchemist (if you want to roll with 4e), high Int, lower Wis without affecting stat rolls much. Janine, maybe a Druid, good Wis, high Cha?

Unless you go with White Wolf. I've only played Apocalypse, Masquerade, and The Dreaming (all tabletop, not LARP), so hard to say where they fit in there.

----

Random one-word prompts

Adroit
Difference
Desire
Dream
Death
Revitalize
Morning
Afternoon
Evening
Bound -Filled.
Song
Quiet/Still - Filled
Dissonance (any version you choose).
Entropy
Apathy
Everything
Nothing
Green
Yellow
Orange
Paisley
Chemistry
(Thermo)dynamic

Song prompts

Drive it Like You Stole It - The Glitch Mob -Filled
1940 - The Submarines (everyone should listen regardless, this is a gorgeous mix for this song and her voice is just to die for)
Crawling - Kosheen
Blue Eyed Boy - Kosheen Because, this is SO Janine's song, haha.
Unwritten - Natasha Bedingfield
Take Me Home Tonight - Eddie Money
Losing my Religion - REM
Supernatural Superserious - REM Sounds like a Ray song to me.
Comprachicos - Pendulum

Last edited by APaleHorse on November 8th, 2011, 1:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 7:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
APaleHorse wrote:
Peter = Rogue, probably with a level or two in Bard for leadership (and uncanny dodge is a wonderful thing). Winston = Ranger with sure shot, high Wis and Str. Ray = Swordmage, high Cha and Int. Egon = Alchemist (if you want to roll with 4e), high Int, lower Wis without affecting stat rolls much. Janine, maybe a Druid, good Wis, high Cha?

I've been playing 4e lately, and I run two characters based on John and Eden. John is a Battlemind (since I created him as a Psychic Warior in 3.0) and Eden is a Psion. I figure at least one of their parents, maybe even both, utilize the Psionic power source.

So I've put some thought into it in case the twins parents and their parents' friends ever show up. My working model had each "SpiritBreaker" as one of the four roles 4e defined.

Venkman: Striker role. So yeah, Rogue is just...well....perfect. The multiclass idea is worth considering, though.

Ray: Leader role (though not the team leader). A picture I encountered years ago of the Ghostbusters reimagined as DnD characters had Ray in a monk's robe, so that idea of him as a cleric sort of stuck

Winston: Defender. Paladin, or possibly a Fighter. I lead toward the former because GB Winston is the most religious member of the team.

Egon: Controller. Wizard or Psion. Can you tell I like the Psychic classes? This would also heighten the "Daddy's little girl" element of the Eden-based character. (I don't have the book with the Alchemists, so I can't really consider that option right now)

Janine: I lean toward a Psionic class, especially if Egon ends up being a Wizard (the twins got it from somewhere). Probably an Ardent (leader), since they're very empathic in both reception and transmission.

Just my brain flotsam on the matter.

Quote:
Unless you go with White Wolf. I've only played Apocalypse, Masquerade, and The Dreaming (all tabletop, not LARP), so hard to say where they fit in there.

I steal lots of cWoD stuff; there's White Wolf style vampires all over the place in my GBWC stories. I latched onto the Sons of Ether from Mage: The Ascension expressly because they reminded me of Egon; I directly establish him as a member of the GBOTFF version of the Etherites in "Eye of Aretpo".

And there's also a werewolf in the RGB comics that fits the White Wolf model somewhat well; she's born into it instead of the old "bitten by a werewolf and cursed" trope.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2011, 7:45 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Oh wow, some of those I don't know...It's been an aaage since I've played 4e, I stopped playing shortly after Barbarian came out. Barbarian totally breaks a game by the way, my usual game group has a rule against the whole class now because it is just no fun for anyone when a muncher plays a Barbarian. You go to fight a dragon and end up being along the lines of "well, okay, I'm going to go play solitaire in this corner, let me know if you need a heal up big buddy"...

Alchemist, at the time, was a play-test and looked pretty boss. Right now I'm playing 3.5 again though, so I can't look it up.

Ray as a Cleric was another possibility, and he does make a good support role. Swordmage stuck out because my fiance played one ages ago and while our Cleric was technically our leader the Swordmage was our strongest support. I think Swordmage is technically a Defender though...I forget. Kept my Rogue from dying pretty often.

Winston as a Paladin I can totally see, I chose Ranger more for the sharp shooting aspect.

I always play a Striker, nine times out of ten play a Rogue, and enjoy sneaking up and stabbing things to death. Heck, many people call me by my 4e character's name, Sparrow. It's probably along the lines of why I find Peter and Janine so easy to write; they suit my personality more so I know better how they react.