It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:34 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: A Fanfic by Jake Collins
PostPosted: November 7th, 2011, 7:43 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Jake (my brother, whom some of you have heard on our EGB episode commentaries) has agreed that I may alert my chums here at the Ectozone to this short fanfiction he wrote, featuring some characters from EGB:

The Book of Love: Chapter 1, by Jake Collins.

A few things to note:

1. The story contains mature content, and you will need a deviantART account to view it.

2. Jake's fanfictions are entirely tongue-in-cheek. Please take everything you read in the spirit in which it is intended.

3. This is but a drop in the ocean of a load of related fanfics, featuring many different TV shows and movies, that Jake has been writing over the years. In particular, this one is preceded by a prologue to 'The Book of Love', if you want to read that. Jake's stuff is all on dA, except for a series of Hey Arnold fanfics he wrote in about 1901 when we had a manual typewriter instead of a computer. :P Even if you read everything of his on dA (which would take you months), you won't get all the references. So, any questions, ask me. ;)

4. The story opens with Beast Boy and Raven from Teen Titans. It is part of Jake's Beast Boy and Raven Chronicles, which is a spin-off from the other stuff he's written. I don't know whether this affects your decision to read the story. I just thought I should warn you.

5. This story is dotted with references to stuff Jake and I have said about EGB, the opinions of certain groups of people on the internet and at least one completely irrelevant movie (Jake just drops random stuff into his stories if we think something is funny). Why not play a little game with yourself and see how much you can spot? :P

Note to Fritz: Jake mentioned to me that he hopes the story can fit into the GBOT, but I'm not sure how serious he was being. I said it could fit in, if it was set in June or July 1998, and I mentioned that Egon and Janine (who do not appear in the story, btw) must be recently married. He seemed happy with this agreement. :geek:

Now, after all that build-up from me... well, I hope it's worth it!

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 2:25 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
I read it and almost did a spit take on the 'glasses' part. Good stuff there. I found it curious that Carl reacted so vehemently, though. Was that the demon?

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 9:55 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
It more or less really does work for GBOT continuity, actually; it's obviously very early in Kylie and Eduardo's relationship after becoming an Official Item, which of course coincides with the Spengler marriage, and I'll stop babbling about stuff you already know, though.

I admit I'd word my summary to refer to Raven and Gar as "extradimensional travellers" or something, just to keep a continuity wall between us and Teen Titans in place (not a criticism of Teen Titans, it was awesome.)

Quote:
"But the other three are retired," said Kylie. "We're the Ghostbusters now - Kylie, Eduardo, Garrett and, um… Roland. I don't know why so many people seem to have so much trouble accepting that!"

Gotta be one of those "opinions of certain groups of people on the internet" moments there. Stupid retcons and reboot of course mean that those people don't have to accept it now, of course. :roll:

It was a neat little story. Jake decides to try anything else with the Ghostbusters, let us know.

:)

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 10:57 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
APaleHorse wrote:
I read it and almost did a spit take on the 'glasses' part.

That was included purely because I found Scary Movie on cable and watched it recently, and Jake was in the vicinity laughing about the 'Put this on with it' scene. One of those random amusing things he likes to slip in. :D

Quote:
Good stuff there. I found it curious that Carl reacted so vehemently, though. Was that the demon?

Even though Jake's fanfictions are for laughs, he does think about characterisation. Carl is fairly ambiguous as a character, and Jake feels that he has the potential to do what he did in this story, but not more than once. After I read it, he made me list everything that I thought Carl was feeling, and he asked me whether I thought he would do anything like that again. I said no, and he seemed satisfied (also with the long list of conflicting emotions I came up with... :roll:).

Fritz wrote:
I admit I'd word my summary to refer to Raven and Gar as "extradimensional travellers" or something, just to keep a continuity wall between us and Teen Titans in place (not a criticism of Teen Titans, it was awesome.)

Jake had a phase of watching it a lot when it was showing here, but he only really liked Beast Boy and Raven, and I have to say I can see why (I can't tell you how much he hates Robin! :shock:). After Beast Boy and Raven kept turning up in his vast Mona the Vampire series of fanfics, he realised he was going to have to give them their own spin-off, and anyone who follows that will know that they're very much travelling through all different dimensions. In Jake's little world, those two have been to a lot of TV and movie dimensions.

The 'Dream Caverns', through which they do all their travelling, actually originate in a novel based on Jake's favourite TV show Knightmare. In the prologue for this particular adventure, Beast Boy and Raven travel to the world of Knightmare to get their Book of Love mission from two of the characters. Actually, I think Jake might be a little bit obsessed with that show - it can't be healthy. :geek:

Quote:
Gotta be one of those "opinions of certain groups of people on the internet" moments there. Stupid retcons and reboot of course mean that those people don't have to accept it now, of course. :roll:

Those people are fools. Fools, I tell you! :twisted:

Anyway. Yep. Also in that was a reference to Roland being so forgettable (listen to our commentary for 'Moby Ghost' to hear something along the lines of: 'What are they talking about now? Um... Oh! Roland's missing!'); and Kevin getting a kick out of seeing Kylie shooting ghosts without many clothes on was inspired by what sometimes happens if you look for EGB fanart. :roll:

Jake is very happy that you enjoyed his story. :)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3