It is currently March 19th, 2024, 7:44 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 8:50 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Link to all episodes and blurbs.

Mind you, there really isn't very much to see on the day of posting. We kick off on July 31st with a story set approximately seven months after the end of Jake's and my EGB virtual season (on this board).

Again, you can expect contributions from both of us, but more from me.

This time we're basing the content on the idea of a later time slot, and using The Simpsons for our guidelines. This may include episodes that Channel 4 over here in the UK decided to air at more like 8.30pm than 6.30pm, which is still very message board friendly indeed, of course.

See you at the end of the month!

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 3:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 4:05 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Cool! I'm looking forward to it as well. :D

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: July 31st, 2016, 6:00 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Episode 1: July - An Island Adventure, by me.

The Riveras are visiting a relative on the island of Cozumel, but this time Eduardo is taking Kylie along. She is determined not to interfere with the family fun, so she shows Beth a new perspective while Carl, Eduardo and Kevin embark on an eventful day out.

Next month:
Episode 2: August - A Friend in Need, by Jake.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: July 31st, 2016, 12:59 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Nice story. I enjoyed it very much great job. :D ;)

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: August 1st, 2016, 11:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Would it be weird if I said I kept waiting for a ghost to show up? :lol:

Great work as always, Rosey.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2016, 7:28 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
I am excited that The Riveras has got underway at last (it's been a topic of much discussion in our house since the latter stages of last year) as the fact that I have joined this forum just in time for its debut attests. This opening episode is rather clever in that it fully introduces (or reintroduces, I suppose) all the main characters and shows us exactly where they are in their relationships, but in a completely new and unique environment.

I have always thought that Kevin is a character who could do a lot of interesting things in fan-fic, and here we find him very clearly placed on the cusp of childhood and everything that lies beyond. This episode makes it obvious that Kevin is about to go through a lot of physical and emotional development (as lines such as "I'm not little anymore, Mom" and "Ooh, you're getting heavy" portend) and doubtless in a year's time (i.e. by the end of the series) there will be some aspects of his life and relationships that are quite different, some that are the same, and some that are somewhere in between. I hope our devoted readers will enjoy following his progress through the series as much as I know I will.

I enjoyed coming across many of the references and in-jokes that this story has to offer (and admittedly many of them are in there specifically for me to spot, such as the fact that Kylie and Eduardo were sleeping in our mum's bedroom from when we were little) and the last conversation about the turtle has inspired me quite a bit in some of my ideas to be revealed in the future.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2016, 7:28 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

When Oscar comes to stay with Kevin, Carl worries about their relationship. Meanwhile, the two boys decide to go out and get some information for Kevin's school project, and end up finding more than they bargained for.

Next month:
Episode 3: September - Just Thinking About Tomorrow, by me.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: August 31st, 2016, 2:50 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Nice! I enjoyed it very much. Great job! ;)

PostPosted: September 1st, 2016, 5:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:

When Oscar comes to stay with Kevin, Carl worries about their relationship. Meanwhile, the two boys decide to go out and get some information for Kevin's school project, and end up finding more than they bargained for.

Next month:
Episode 3: September - Just Thinking About Tomorrow, by me.

:lol: NYPD Blue in-jokes. I knew I was missing something--I only realized it when I saw the note at the end (I haven't seen the show since, well, about Jimmy Smits' second or third season.)(And not intended as a criticism, not with all the Law and Order injokes I've done over the years)

Another good read. Will be interesting to see where some of this is going.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2016, 5:08 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Aquarius
I'm enjoying this spin-off so far :)

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2016, 9:01 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Having written this several months ago, I had somewhat forgotten all the connotations of the title, which Rosey picked out of a list of about five possible titles that I came up with as the correct one to use. The most obvious "friend in need" in the story is clearly Jose Rodriguez, but hopefully readers will realise that the title also refers to Kevin and Oscar.

Clearly the boys needed each other to deal with the emergency that they stumbled upon in this episode, but hopefully readers will also realise that Kevin and Oscar have now become firmly entrenched in each other's emotional and physical development, although the exact extent of what they might now feel comfortable to say and do in each other's company is very much up to the reader to decide.

This story also presents some of Kevin's more specific needs, including links to his past as well as certain important aspects of his future. It should be clear enough that Oscar has stepped up to be there for Kevin both practically and emotionally, and hopefully readers will think back to 'Back in the Picture' where Kevin did the same thing for Oscar.

Although Oscar's more specific needs (to do with his home life) are not overtly mentioned here, hopefully readers will be looking forward to revisiting these later in the season, and finding out how Kevin is going to slot into them. As you can perhaps tell, the Kevin and Oscar relationship has certainly got my creative juices flowing (more than they have done for several years, I must admit) so you can rest assured that there is more to come from them.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2016, 8:05 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I don't specifically remember choosing the title, but it is undoubtedly the best choice, so obviously I must have done. :D

Over the years, fans (few though they may be) have interpreted much from the brief exchange Eduardo and Carl have about their father in 'Rage'. More than once I've come across the idea of him being violent and abusive (in fact, in my recent efforts to find the old fan activity, this idea seems to be the one that's survived). Though I don't think I ever went there myself, I can see how the notion might evolve from observing Carl's behaviour and then hearing Eduardo say, 'I'm not like you or Dad.' From this, we can at least conclude that Eduardo and his father didn't always get on (which I've tried to hint at once or twice in this universe), and we can make a few informed guesses as to why that may be; but I think it's also a good idea in this endeavour to suggest that Dad had a lighter side to his character, and some positive influence on the lives of his family members, which Jake has certainly done here.

I happen to know that some of these ideas are adapted from real life, including the incident with the printer, which I found very funny when Jake told me the true story involving someone we know. In fact, there are likely to be in-jokes in every episode, but hopefully they're pretty seamless. :P

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2016, 1:35 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

EGBFan wrote:
I can see how the notion might evolve from observing Carl's behaviour and then hearing Eduardo say, 'I'm not like you or Dad.'

From such scant canonical evidence, I suppose it wouldn't be unreasonable to go so far as to think that Dad might be exactly like Carl in his outlook on life, but even if Al wasn't (as it were) openly Hispanic, I wouldn't like to imagine that he completely forgot his roots after moving to the USA, and therefore we discover here that he apparently used his position in the NYPD to "look after his own" as much as he could, even if he did so somewhat covertly. Having thought about it, this is what I am now imagining the state of affairs to be.

EGBFan wrote:
...we can at least conclude that Eduardo and his father didn't always get on (which I've tried to hint at once or twice in this universe), and we can make a few informed guesses as to why that may be...

Having thought about this, it occurs to me that Kevin's hazy memories of a devoted grandparent whom he obviously regards as a hero may be vastly different to Carl and Eduardo's very clear memories of an overbearing parent. Kevin's frustration with his relatives' reluctance to talk about Al has already been touched on and I know that it's due to be explored further in the future, but now I've begun to wonder whether Kevin would really enjoy hearing the truth about Eduardo and Carl's feelings on the matter, and whether Carl's reluctance to talk about the past comes less from a personal dislike of acknowledging his roots than from a selfless desire not to shatter his son's illusions. This may well warrant further exploration in the future.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2016, 6:13 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
Having thought about this, it occurs to me that Kevin's hazy memories of a devoted grandparent whom he obviously regards as a hero may be vastly different to Carl and Eduardo's very clear memories of an overbearing parent. Kevin's frustration with his relatives' reluctance to talk about Al has already been touched on and I know that it's due to be explored further in the future, but now I've begun to wonder whether Kevin would really enjoy hearing the truth about Eduardo and Carl's feelings on the matter, and whether Carl's reluctance to talk about the past comes less from a personal dislike of acknowledging his roots than from a selfless desire not to shatter his son's illusions. This may well warrant further exploration in the future.

Very interesting thought on the matter. I hate to mention him for a lot of reasons, but I'm reminded of Bill Cosby's classic "Himself" comedy special, where he talks about how much more loving and generous his parents are to his kids, their grandkids, than they were to Bill and his brother. ("These are not the people who raised me! They're old and trying to get into Heaven!!!") Or I wish I could remember where, but somebody saying kids and grandparents are natural allies--they have a common enemy or something like that. (I can certainly point to a bit of personal anecdotal evidence--it was only well after he died that I heard what a sarcastic, foul-mouthed cut-up my maternal grandfather was; he always "behaved" around the grandkids :lol: )