It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:48 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 9:25 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Oh wow...I was wondering where the onslaught of Mary Sue crap inspired by the video game was. Nobody'd told me FFN had finally caved and started a seperate section for Movie-based stories.

And I thought that thing that Brendan Rome barfed up was bad...

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 9:40 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I seriously think I am traumatized. Just to have the gaul to take the original movie and insert herself into some of the defining E/J moments and then have Egon pick her in the end...(I only looked at the last chapter to confirm my suspicion, it is like a train wreck you have to stare at.) Just unbelievable, she should be whipped, seriously and not by Egon.....

AAAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
:puke: :puke: :puke:

PostPosted: December 28th, 2009, 5:51 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
Quote:
Read at your own risk!
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5187286/7/Stay_Puft

Oh dear God the inhumanity of the mary sueism! :puke:

I agree :puke:

However, you think this is bad? Look at the reveiws, these people are applauding the horror. :puke: :evil:.

Also, at Vinceint, Haha, your trying to prove you're a Mary Sue, or technicaly a "Garry Stu." Sorry funny

PostPosted: December 29th, 2009, 11:33 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
God, it's almost always Egon, isn't it?

Why can't Winston, Ray or Venkman get Mary-Sue'd for a change? What is it about Egon that people (i.e. disturbed women) go nuts about? He's not exactly the typical babe-magnet, is he. I don't think I'll ever understand it.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2009, 9:16 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:
God, it's almost always Egon, isn't it?

Why can't Winston, Ray or Venkman get Mary-Sue'd for a change? What is it about Egon that people (i.e. disturbed women) go nuts about? He's not exactly the typical babe-magnet, is he. I don't think I'll ever understand it.

Especially as Ray and Winston don't have significant canon love interests (Elaine Fuhrman is only in one episode, Winston's girlfriend is only seen in one issue of the Now Comic, and is never even named). Does having a prominant canon love interest they can bash and smear somehow make Egon more attractive to them in some sick way?

PostPosted: December 30th, 2009, 10:53 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz wrote:
Does having a prominant canon love interest they can bash and smear somehow make Egon more attractive to them in some sick way?

That could be the reason, Fritz. Maybe these Mary-Sue authors are more interested in bashing Janine than having their original character get with Egon.

The thing that I find most strange about it is that every single Mary-Sue author who has Egon as the love interest has written him out-of-character! They have to romanticise him in some way in order to pair him up with their Author-Insert character. Egon is not a typical romantic lead but they write him as though he is, which doesn't tally with his character at all.

Take this stupid Stay-Puft story, for instance.

Even when the author recreates the canonical GB1 scene line-by-line (putting herself in Janine's place), Egon is STILL written out of character because his canonical personality traits don't satisfy her fantasy ideal. In GB canon, he is pretty clueless when it comes to women but in this story, he has an uncharacteristic perception about the character 'Hope' and delivers comforting words to her as though he is a typical romantic lead. Put Venkman in his place and there is no problem, but having Egon deliver those comforting words seems utterly ridiculous. 

The author's characterisation of Egon is all over the place. In the same story, Egon calls Hope 'princess', but can you imagine canon Egon using that sickly-sweet term of endearment towards anyone? I don't think so. He's also laughing all the time (normally in response to something Hope has done or said), but how many times has Egon laughed in canon? Not even once, as far as I can recall. If it weren't for the character's name being Egon, it is almost unrecognisable as being him. He could be anyone, really. And that's just the thing -- these Mary-Sue authors are taking away the best thing about Egon; his individuality. They are replacing his unique personality with that of a carbon-copy of any male romantic lead, complete with cutesy nicknames, an ease with women and a smattering of well-timed compliments and unprompted gestures of affection towards the fairer sex. It is the very core of Egon's personality that they need to manipulate in order for their Mary-Sue story to work. 

They want a romantic Egon which doesn't exist, and so they have to create one. But why not just create a Mary-Sue for someone like Venkman who already has those romantic traits or at least is capable of it without significant character-manipulation? 

Maybe they feel that their original character is so amazing that she can 'change' Egon from being reticent and shy to an accomplished lover worthy of Venkman-status. I don't know. It confuses the hell out of me. I would have thought that if they liked the character enough to make him their love interest in a story, they'd preserve the integrity of that character instead of changing him beyond recognition.

EDIT: Okay, I just remembered that time in GB2 where Egon laughs along with everyone else. But that's still just the one time. If the author of this fic wanted a GB character to laugh at Hope's jokes, refer to Hope as 'princess' and have a meaningful heart-to-heart with her, then surely anyone BUT Egon would have been a better choice.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2009, 3:56 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

You really have a point (and did you actually read this thing?). A lot of these Mary Sue Stories (or a lot of fandome) seems to have a problem with strong women. Janine is just one of them. I have heard so often that the romantic lead is a slut because of her cloth, or she is to demanding (when strong) or to harsh or not worthy (Janine is just a secretary, God forbid Egon would fall for her!)... sometimes I get the impression, these Mary Sue authors feel threatened by women like Janine.

Although, what you told about these GB1 Story sounds like all these "girls" are just in Janines place: in love with Egon, but he is out of reach - until you start writing a little Mary Sue and change the world and your great love. :roll: Didn't work in "Janine's Genie", didn't work in fanfiction.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 9:02 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

janine_fan wrote:
did you actually read this thing?

To be honest with you, I only skimmed the chapters that ghostdiva mentioned (i.e. the recreated E/J scene in GB1 and the final chapter where Egon and the Sue get together). I've got no idea whether this author wrote more scenes where Egon is out-of-character in the other chapters though from my reckoning she probably did.

I'm wondering if this story is against the terms and conditions of fanfiction.net. The author has basically copied the film line-by-line and just stuck her character in the middle of it. There is very little original fan content in it. Disclaimer or not, if you submit work on ff.net I think you still have to demonstrate that your fiction is largely an original work of your own and not just a reproduced facsimile of something which has copyright. Fanfiction.net usually remove these types of fics.

On the subject of Egon's out-of-character behaviour in Mary-Sue fics, I find it also tends to happen when the Mary-Sue first meets Egon and he instantly falls in love with her and demonstrates it by acting like a lovestruck idiot. I know he acted a bit stupidly when he had a crush on that opera singer in RGB, but even then it was nothing like some of the idiotic behaviour demonstrated by him in these stories when he is either struck dumb by Mary-Sue's beauty, or becomes so clumsy he can barely walk straight in her presence. A retarded version of Egon is not generally something I like to see in fanfiction, unless it's involved in a major plot-point concerning him.

janine_fan wrote:
sometimes I get the impression, these Mary Sue authors feel threatened by women like Janine.

Oh, I totally agree. It reminds me of the way some Egon fans used to contribute to the GB message boards. Most of their posts were about how much of a bitch or a slut they thought Janine was. They hardly mentioned anything about Egon, even though they were supposed to be huge fans of his. It seemed to me their fantasies were more about how much they would like to beat up Janine, which is... kind of disturbing, really. 

janine_fan wrote:
Didn't work in "Janine's Genie", didn't work in fanfiction.

That is an excellent point. Maybe this episode is where they get their inspiration from! Even Janine got bored of him in that ep, so you'd think they'd take the hint that a lovestruck romantic Egon is not the best way to depict him in fanfiction.

By the way, welcome to the board! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 31st, 2009, 1:31 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

With Egon there's also the case that the was appealing to many fans. But you can also look at it this way: Winston was to grown up, Ray was a child, Peter more a hero for all the boys - so Egon was probably the one a lot of girls liked as a child.
Or its like Peter would: always the quiet ones ;)

PostPosted: January 4th, 2010, 10:55 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

"Ray was a child"

One of the reasons that the show never felt like Ghostbusters to me...

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 6:19 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Quote:
"Captain, these men are in criminal violation of the Environmental Protection Act!" Walter gripped both of Hope's arms, keeping her situated in front of him self, "And this explosion is a direct result of it! I want them all thrown in jail! Including this girl!"

"YOUR MOTHER!" Egon snarled as he lurched forward at Walter Peck. Hope couldn't be sure whether Egon was trying to get to her or to Walter, but the sight of his outburst made her inwardly smile none the less.
LOL LOL Man that part was the funniest F&%king thing .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 7:11 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
We should refrain from reading any more of this story, every time someone clicks on the story on fanfic.net the author gets a count hit. Poor girl is bound to misconstrue the high view count as her being a GOOD writer, that is so not the impression I think we should give.

Quote:
"YOUR MOTHER!" Egon snarled as he lurched forward at Walter Peck. Hope couldn't be sure whether Egon was trying to get to her or to Walter, but the sight of his outburst made her inwardly smile none the less. LOL LOL Man that part was the funniest F&%king thing .

AND OMG! She really did try very hard to insert herself into this movie did she not, I never would have thought of that kind of bombardment into the plot. Just ridiculous! :puke:

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 7:57 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Quote:
We should refrain from reading any more of this story, every time someone clicks on the story on fanfic.net the author gets a count hit. Poor girl is bound to misconstrue the high view count as her being a GOOD writer, that is so not the impression I think we should give.

Poor girl already wrote a sequel - can#t get worse, can it?

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 9:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

janine_fan wrote:
Poor girl already wrote a sequel - can#t get worse, can it?

This is just a wild guess, but I bet it doesn't involve her Self Insert trying to embarassingly seduce Louis Tully.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2010, 9:21 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Scorpio
Not only unoriginal, but lazy to boot.