It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:57 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Annie Potts in GBII
PostPosted: February 18th, 2008, 1:41 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
Zodiac: Taurus
This might open up a can of worms involving this topic again. ;)
But just recently I've been thinking that the reason for Annie Pott's lacklustre performance in GBII might be because she hated the idea of Janine being with Louis Tully as well. :hurl:
Maybe Rick Moranis was a friend of hers, but that may not mean she was happy about her character suddenly having this fling with a guy she found creepy in GBI. :o
Just thinking about it too much I guess. :oops:
What do you guys think? :?:

Post subject: Re: Annie Potts in GBII
PostPosted: February 18th, 2008, 9:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

It certainly seems plausible, though that could just be us projecting our own disdain of the idea onto her. Granted, liking the Janine/Louis idea is a minority opinion basically shared by Harold Ramis, the most extreme Movie Purists ("But it's what Harold said, and thus is Holy Writ") and of course the Egon fangirls who want Janine "out of the way" so they can pair him off with their Mary Sues. Or Venkman.

Anyway...

I've said before, I honestly wonder if Ramis didn't just want to put a different character in there, but because Janine was too well established by the cartoons, so someone at Columbia said no--so they went ahead and brought in Annie Potts, called her Janine, but wrote her as the ditz with lower standards Ramis had in mind for the "new" secretary anyway. Thus rendering the character of Janine practically unrecognizable from the first movie. (It's not a strong, serious suspicion, but it's there...)

Of course, I also wonder similarly about Winston: they gave him so little to do, and excluded him from the big courtroom scene, that it becomes plausible that they only wrote him in because, again, he'd become so established by the cartoon.

I guess it comes down to different perspectives to some degree. Everyone agrees Ray, Egon, and Venkman are important characters. If you're more inclined toward Movie Purism, you probably think Dana and Louis are important, and Janine and Winston aren't. If you lean toward the cartoons, Winston is an equal to the other three Ghostbusters, Janine is vital, and you know they can get along fine without Louis and Dana.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2008, 10:35 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
Fritz wrote:
I guess it comes down to different perspectives to some degree. Everyone agrees Ray, Egon, and Venkman are important characters. If you're more inclined toward Movie Purism, you probably think Dana and Louis are important, and Janine and Winston aren't. If you lean toward the cartoons, Winston is an equal to the other three Ghostbusters, Janine is vital, and you know they can get along fine without Louis and Dana.

Well, I prefer to combine the two like you do Fritz. :) I just don't think you can have one without the other.

However I do think that the Guys & Janine can get along pretty well without Dana & Louis. They did so for about 5 years afterall.

I hate it in the movies when Winston gets ignored. It's like he's just the token black guy or something! Whereas in the cartoon he's just another one of the Guys no matter his skin colour!

And there is absolutely no substitute for Janine... just look at what happens whenever they hire a temp! Things go to hell in a handbasket pretty quickly! LOL!

But really I'd love to ask Annie Potts herself what she thought of the whole mess! Even if it is just a dream question! ;)

PostPosted: March 30th, 2008, 11:24 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Scorpio
why, why, why haven't i found a single fic that just meets both ideas in the middle...... So yeah, Janine and Louis are an item, married, kids, yada yada yada, then poof! D-I-V-O-R-C-E. But for whom? None other than a certain scientist from years gone by...

i guess i'll just have to do it myself!
(Hey, it was my idea. I thunk it first!)

PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 4:00 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Um, have you tried reading "Forever", or any of Fritz's other stories, especially "Critically Insane"? It's all there, except the kids.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 8:27 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Cut Agent K some slack. She found her way here via my Fan Fiction.net account, and I haven't posted everything I've done over there yet. She did read "Clinically Insane", which I posted there last week, and gave it a good review, though.

Welcome to the nuthouse, Agent K, aka Princess Orchesis.

:D

PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 11:54 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Cool! Welcome aboard, Agent K! Read the rest of Fritz's stuff, too. Great stuff, and it all makes sense, continuum-wise.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 1:16 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Fritz wrote:

aka Princess Orchesis.

Princess , Princess , oh I'm going to have fun with that :mrgreen:

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 10:27 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

i feel so loved.

im a GINORMOUS fan of Fritz's works, and I've read some of other people's as well as working on my own. (It's a biggin, hope yall can handle it.)

and ya know, I almost made my account name Princess Orchesis, but i decided against it thinking i'd be too recognizable from other sites.

so much for that! :)

PostPosted: April 1st, 2008, 9:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

As the board administrator, I can see your email address. That's what gave it away. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: April 4th, 2008, 9:43 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

that would explain it.... :lol:

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 11:09 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
For some reason I get the impression that Annie Potts couldn't give a hootin' tootin' fig newton about maintaining authenticity regarding how her character is portrayed in RGB and how that translates to her role in GBII. I just think she thinks of it as another acting job. I don't know why I have that impression, I just do. I just don't think she's as passionate about the whole Ghostbuster enterprise as we all are. I've watched her in interviews and when Ghostbusters come up she just seems nonchalent and rather blase. She doesn't seem to speak of the character of Janine with any sort of real passion. We all know that if any of us Janine fans were handed the script of GBII we would have marched our asses into Harold Ramis' office guns blazing. I'm sure Annie just read the script and was like "hmph!" shrugged, and didn't even question it. It's just a paycheque to her.

With regards to it being inconsistent with the cartoon, my guess is that Annie watched the first RGB episode, had a chuckle at the animated version of "herself" and never tuned in again. Therefore, she felt no way about having to be with Louis in GBII. It didn't disturb her on any level. I think her lackluster performance was simply based on the lackluster dialogue and role given her.

If anyone else knows otherwise re: her feelings on the character Janine, let me know, and I apologize if I've been incorrect in my assumptions. But my guess is she just doesn't care as much as we do.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 11:15 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
P.S. Might I add how extremely grateful I am that the writers of RGB did not acknowledge or continue the whole Janine/Louis thing, but rather continued to hint at the flirtation of Egon/Janine. I kiss the ground they walk on for that. If I had had to put up with those two together in my beloved cartoon that would have really ruined it for me.

Because as we all know, in my little world, the whole Janine/Louis thing just didn't happen. I've released it from my own 'personal version of Canon'. I just cross my arms, blink a la I Dream of Jeannie, and it's gone. *poof*. Yes, it's as simple as that. ;)

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 2:05 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
I just think she thinks of it as another acting job. I don't know why I have that impression, I just do.

That's another theory as good as any other. By 1989 she was one of the stars of a hit show--maybe it just wouldn't matter much whether she had good lines or a good role in this movie or not (and on the whole, she didn't).

Quote:
P.S. Might I add how extremely grateful I am that the writers of RGB did not acknowledge or continue the whole Janine/Louis thing, but rather continued to hint at the flirtation of Egon/Janine. I kiss the ground they walk on for that. If I had had to put up with those two together in my beloved cartoon that would have really ruined it for me.

I recall a couple of hints very early on when Louis started appearing, but yeah, that went away fast. Len Jansen and Chuck Menville were the Story Editors at that point, and I think by the end of the show were Associate Producers or something: they would have been in a position to be aware of a lot of the hateful fan mail the idea probably drew, and reacted accordingly. Certainly, on this one point, somebody at DiC and Now Comics were way more in tune with fan sentiment that Ramis was.

To play devil's advocate for half a moment, I don't think Ramis probably realized it would be such a big deal with the fans either. Leaving devil's advocate mode, the part about him that pisses me off is him not basically saying "We tried something different with this, it didn't work, and I'm sorry to all the fans that hated it with a passion." Instead he makes those snotty comments about Egon and Janine being "failed" and "mawkish" in the GB1 commentary; instead we get the sleazy display Moranis and Potts phoned in in GB2, which is Epic Fail.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 7:23 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

:shock:
you trash talkin Ramis?
aw hells naw.....
lol.

but i can totally understand where you're both coming from, and it makes a heaping ton of sense.

it reminds me that i need to pick up the pace and finish my own fic, which deals with relationships both failed and mawkish, and I don't mean E/J. (It goes into some detail about a failed, short-lived relationship that had quite a bit of backlash for Janine and Louis.And yes, I agree it was totally sleazy, which emphasizes Janine's character in this tale I'm spinning here.)

by the by, I'm so grateful that everyone posts their opinions up here, because for a semi-novice (i aint that new!) like myself, it really helps put things in perspective.