It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:36 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next
PostPosted: October 29th, 2021, 11:04 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I feel like the problems I have with this wouldn't be hitting me so hard if it weren't for the way this fandom acts sometimes. I would be glad to be able to keep the movies a separate universe. But, I also know, from 25 yrs experience, that this fandom wont let it be like that. Its forever going to be that this is now primary cannon and anything that goes against it is garbage. I see the way they already say, who cares, and down vote concerns people have and it really grinds my gears.

I saw someone on YouTube mention that all they had to do was make it where Callies mom divorced Egon when he really started delving into the paranormal. Callie could have just said something about her mom not wanting him around a kid when he was going around trying to drill a hole in his head. That makes sense and it's a funny call back. It would have kept him from being the bad guy.
Janine could have still married him. Met callie in the movie and said she was sorry they didnt meet sooner because she would have loved having a step daughter.

Two sentences... would have ended heartbreak

PostPosted: October 30th, 2021, 12:00 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Capricorn
A lot of fandom's problems are linked to the fact that only things that happen on screen in live-action are considered cannon, no matter how much a character grows in any other media. Star Wars, Star Trek, and our fandom are prime examples. It's why fan-fic only franchises like GBWC are basically looked down upon by some people who have local franchises in real life with people in the local area, and it sucks so much ass. The entire reason GBWC was formed, as far as I can remember, was for a lot of people to be part of a franchise who weren't in the same geographical location to come together over our love of Ghostbusters and have some really great adventures along the way. Sure, we pretty much went our separate ways bc of real life, but I always remembered all of the stories that had me, Fritz, Jeff, and Jason fighting the threat of the week, even if it was only a story published on an unofficial GB website.

And Jeff, (points at self,) I'm the one who came up with the idea for CoG, so blame me for it.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2021, 6:05 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
egon901 wrote:
And Jeff, (points at self,) I'm the one who came up with the idea for CoG, so blame me for it.

Nah, blame ain't the word I'd use. It was a team effort and a lot of people from a lot of different franchises were eager and happy to be a part of it. I don't regret it.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2021, 4:52 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Yeah, it had a great turnout. And it was fun being the bad guy for once.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: November 1st, 2021, 6:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I know I'm derailing a thread on my own board, but we don't have all that much else to talk about at the moment, right?

egon901 wrote:
The entire reason GBWC was formed, as far as I can remember, was for a lot of people to be part of a franchise who weren't in the same geographical location to come together over our love of Ghostbusters and have some really great adventures along the way. .

Yep. As I put it here

Quote:
The Ghostbusters West Coast is a fan fic-based franchise of Ghostbusters International started in 2003. Andy Harness started a thread called "Legends of Ghostbusters", and the idea he had of an epic story led to Vincent Belmont suggesting the creation of an LA franchise of GBI, and to Ludicris volunteering to lead it. The rest of the contingent of the failed "Rogue Squadron" project (Proton User, Peter Kong) joined the idea, and before long some other recruits were found. This thread ran fifty-three pages before Chad shut down that incarnation of GBN, and by then some members had left (Borzou99) one more was about to be fired (jiggs something or other), some other guys had joined (Kyleogb1983, egon901, Ray Parker Jr, some idiot named Veedramon), and their first story had been released.

The legendary "Legends of Ghostbusters" thread, like all of classic GBN, is gone, but here's a copy from the Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20051228212 ... 13/120100/

(I've seen at times a newer GBN forum that combined stuff from both classic GBN and GBCentral GBN, but it doesn't seem to be there at the moment.)

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2021, 12:22 am 
Doberman
Doberman

I clicked on the link and it only archived the first page, which sucks because I honestly wanted to read the whole thing. It's been 19 years and I've forgotten a lot of what was discussed in the initial thread. I did remember a few names that I haven't seen in a while and I do miss a few of them. Honestly, this is what a franchise should be like, a group of people who can get together, no matter how far apart they are, and have adventures.

Sure, a lot of the live franchises do some good work for their communities and I applaud them for that, but they can't really fight a jackal in a hoodie one day and turn into what you're wearing as a Halloween costume the next. A combination of the two would be nice, but can't really do that so oh well.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2021, 5:17 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
egon901 wrote:
It's why fan-fic only franchises like GBWC are basically looked down upon by some people who have local franchises in real life with people in the local area, and it sucks so much ass. The entire reason GBWC was formed, as far as I can remember, was for a lot of people to be part of a franchise who weren't in the same geographical location to come together over our love of Ghostbusters and have some really great adventures along the way. Sure, we pretty much went our separate ways bc of real life, .

yeah, it really does suck, I have run into some franchises at comic con in the past and they would definitely give me a look when I would mention the GBWC. This was back at the start when I was still wined eyed and thought we were all one big happy community. now I don't even bother when I know I'm just going to get the condescending look.
I know others out there might think we are just making stories about ourselves having maid-up adventures with the original team. I always felt more like it was us expressing ourselves creatively and practicing our writing skills.

some of you may not know this about me but I'm dyslexic, { shocker I know,} :P but really righting those stories really helped me improve in some ways and was a good exercise for me.

I know its been a long time and it does feel like we went our separate ways due to life getting in the way. I never really stopped thinking about the stories i had started but never finished. it might be the OCD in me but i always thought and intended to get back to them and finished them someday.

I will admit. I do wonder sometimes if I waited too long to get back to them. has that time passed for us?
would any of you care if i was to write some more GBWC stories with our characters ? or would you just think me silly ?"

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2021, 6:24 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Jason, I would love to see more GBWC stories honestly. Before I saw that you'd replied, I was thinking about a story idea I just had and was trying to decide if I wanted to write it out and see if I could still write like I used to, or even be better than when I first started.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2021, 4:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Good gravy, you guys come up with something I'll gladly get it up on the old place, which is still there.

I mean, I've even updated it on occasion, mostly for some recent stories with Charlene Zeddemore in them (though Jason is mentioned in "Thirty Five Years Later" chatting up Jillian Holtzmann and Bridget Gibbons).

We even still have an entire section of this board devoted to the GBWC.

PostPosted: November 2nd, 2021, 5:35 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

We know Fritz, or at least I know. Not sure if Jason's been over there lately. :D But in all seriousness, it'd be great to spread my literary wings again on this subject. Except nothing to do with Gozer, he's become a bad joke.

I haz deviantArt.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2021, 1:15 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I dunno if I have the time or energy to do any writing myself, but there is one story we never got around to that I always liked the idea of.

It was originally an Andy Harness pitch...although now that I think about it, it was basically the same plot as the XGB episode "Ghost-Apocalyptic Future," but as a multi-franchise crossover. I was kind of interested in it because in the bad future, my character joined the dark side. It also would've revealed that Nash has a daughter he doesn't know about (ironic in hindsight given the subject of this thread), who would be grown up and on the good side in the future, to pay off the fact that he briefly got back together with an old ex in that one story I wrote the first half of but never finished, where the railgun was invented.

Of course if you did it now it'd have to be an alternate universe of the present instead of a possible future because it's been 15-20 years, lol.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2021, 8:55 am 
Administrator
Administrator

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
I dunno if I have the time or energy to do any writing myself, but there is one story we never got around to that I always liked the idea of.

It was originally an Andy Harness pitch...although now that I think about it, it was basically the same plot as the XGB episode "Ghost-Apocalyptic Future," but as a multi-franchise crossover. I was kind of interested in it because in the bad future, my character joined the dark side. It also would've revealed that Nash has a daughter he doesn't know about (ironic in hindsight given the subject of this thread), who would be grown up and on the good side in the future, to pay off the fact that he briefly got back together with an old ex in that one story I wrote the first half of but never finished, where the railgun was invented.

Of course if you did it now it'd have to be an alternate universe of the present instead of a possible future because it's been 15-20 years, lol.

I think it was basically THE story idea that got Andy Harness to get the ball rolling on the GBWC. I know I did one picture related to it, and I have one snippet on my hard drive that I think is related to it. If you want me to send them to you let me know.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2021, 9:52 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Fritz wrote:
If you want me to send them to you let me know.

Yeah sure, if for no other reason than curiosity or nostalgia.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2021, 1:15 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

TheRazorsEdge wrote:
Fritz wrote:
If you want me to send them to you let me know.

Yeah sure, if for no other reason than curiosity or nostalgia.

Sent.

And a more on-topic notice: on November 19th, the day the movie is released, I'll start a new "Official Ghostbusters: Afterlife Master Thread" similar to the one I did for GBATC. It'll be stickied on this board.

I won't necessarily lock this one, but the discussion should pretty much move to that thread at that time.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2021, 5:15 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Does anyone here have ANY hope remaining for EJ in this movie?! I feel dumb for hanging on to the tiniest bit of hope, but I do.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 11 Next