It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:42 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 10:20 am 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Zodiac: Aries
Sharing this article from Entertainment Weekly about the news of Jason Reitman directing a new film set in the original universe and is slated for release in Summer 2020, with plans to start shooting in a few months.
https://ew.com/movies/2019/01/15/new-gh ... n-reitman/

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 4:07 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Teaser trailer already, holy moly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZta3a0EY98

I'd love for Dan, Ernie and Annie to be in it. 

After all the popular headcanons about Holtzmann being Egon and Janine's offspring in ATC, it would be nice if there was a prime universe version of that in a movie that the IDW team can cleverly build up towards in the comics. But now I'm just dreaming here, aren't I? :D

This is it! This is definitely it! I'm so excited!

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2019, 9:44 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
The teaser made me scream like a little girl! That last shot...

PostPosted: January 17th, 2019, 9:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I admit that it's a neat teaser, and if they're talking Summer 2020 it would suggest things have move pretty far along under the radar.

But as is my way, I realize, I'm not really going to get very excited until it's practically here. I was skeptical about 2016 too until the promo photos of the flight suits and equipment started to come out.

I hope it's good, but simply cannot summon any expectation good or bad yet.

PostPosted: January 27th, 2019, 7:49 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
I agree and I cannot wait for the movie to come out.

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: July 13th, 2019, 8:02 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Well, that's a mini-Spengler for sure.
She's wearing Egon's glasses.

I'm hesitant to think the family are direct descendants of Egon's (the ages of the actors don't tally with the events in GB2) but some kind of relatives, sure.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the reason Jason Reitman is looking through old footage of GB1 is for the kids in the movie to find some old VHS tapes in an attic or something, which they manage to play back and realise that their relative was involved in all this weird ghostbusting stuff back in the eighties?

Thinking about it some more, I imagine that if they are going to make Egon their father and grandfather, then they'll suggest he had a relationship with someone between the events of GB1 & GB2 (1985/86 would fit better with Finn Wolfhard's character being 16/17 in 2020), but didn't realise he got her pregnant. She brought up the child alone wanting nothing to do with the ghostbusters, and passes away not telling her child the truth of who her father was, so the character played by Carrie Coon literally doesn't know. Maybe she kept some old film of him hidden away somewhere (GB1 footage), along with some other little reminders of him like his glasses, which the kids discover at some point and the youngest more sensitive child adapts his glasses as her own.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2019, 11:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:

Well, that's a mini-Spengler for sure.
She's wearing Egon's glasses.

I'm hesitant to think the family are direct descendants of Egon's (the ages of the actors don't tally with the events in GB2) but some kind of relatives, sure.

On the surface, GB2 does sure seem to make this idea harder, no argument. On the surface.

However, scratch just a little bit beneath the surface, and in 1989 at least one fan (me) and at least one writer of official Columbia-licensed material (James Van Hise of the RGB comic) noticed a big gaping loophole that the latter went ahead and drove a truck through.

That loophole? In GB2 Egon and Janine never actually appear on screen together save in the "We're back!" commercial, which was, in-universe, a staged narrative. RGB and even IDW basically took the whole unpopular Janine/Louis subplot and chalked it up to a passing thing, with Janine possibly disoriented by the mood slime flow. Going by the movies only, forgetting RGB, GBVG, and the IDW universe, Egon and Janine's real status in 1989 could be whatever Jason Reitman says it was that works best for his idea.

So yeah, in a universe where the only things you *have* to use are GB1 and GB2, it's not impossible that a Spengler baby was born in 1985 and would thus be 35 by 2020. And thus if Spengler Jr, unlike his/her parents, fell in love and married early (c. age 20 c.2005) Spengler grandchildren in their early to mid-teens or younger would be plausible.

If the Reitmans are as aware of fan sentiments as they otherwise seem to be, doing something along these lines would be a major crowd pleaser, and yeah, tie in to the events of the first movie, as well as being a very natural route for Annie Potts's involvement in GB2020, and providing a heartwarming acknowledgement of the legacy of the Ghostbuster who's Crossed to the Other Side.

Now, do I expect this? No. Having the new characters "just" be some nieces/nephews/cousins of Egon is more what I expect, but admit that right now that idea feels like a bit of a letdown.

Quote:
Thinking about it some more, I imagine that if they are going to make Egon their father and grandfather, then they'll suggest he had a relationship with someone between the events of GB1 & GB2 (1985/86 would fit better with Finn Wolfhard's character being 16/17 in 2020), but didn't realise he got her pregnant. She brought up the child alone wanting nothing to do with the ghostbusters, and passes away not telling her child the truth of who her father was, so the character played by Carrie Coon literally doesn't know. Maybe she kept some old film of him hidden away somewhere (GB1 footage), along with some other little reminders of him like his glasses, which the kids discover at some point and the youngest more sensitive child adapts his glasses as her own.

Ungh. I know it's almost certainly an immature position, but since it's one I've had since I was fifteen it's not changing anytime soon: revealing Egon procreated with anyone who isn't Janine will turn me against this movie in an eyeblink. Better the disappointing nieces/nephews/cousins thing than that.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2019, 3:51 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Oh, how little sleep I got last night. So glad someone here is talking about this now. I've been quietly hoping and praying since seeing the character descriptions that this may actually turn out like I want. I sure hope so.

I know that it may not be, but I haven't found much to deflect it yet.

I actually had an idea for years that the GB2 movie, was just a cash grab by Venkman. In reality, the baby kidnapped was E/Js son, but of course they didn't want to alert the world that they had a vulnerable kid and that was fine by Sony because they wanted to have Sigorney back, so they changed it. Also no walking statue of liberty, they jumped from a helicopter. Anyway, I'm rambling and lost my main point, except to say that I currently have my hopes up.

Oh. And I wondered earlier if they were looking for the unused EgonnJanine footage to use, particularly the alternate ending where they got married in Vegas.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2019, 4:38 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz wrote:
On the surface, GB2 does sure seem to make this idea harder, no argument. On the surface.

However, scratch just a little bit beneath the surface, and in 1989 at least one fan (me) and at least one writer of official Columbia-licensed material (James Van Hise of the RGB comic) noticed a big gaping loophole that the latter went ahead and drove a truck through.

That loophole? In GB2 Egon and Janine never actually appear on screen together save in the "We're back!" commercial, which was, in-universe, a staged narrative. RGB and even IDW basically took the whole unpopular Janine/Louis subplot and chalked it up to a passing thing, with Janine possibly disoriented by the mood slime flow. Going by the movies only, forgetting RGB, GBVG, and the IDW universe, Egon and Janine's real status in 1989 could be whatever Jason Reitman says it was that works best for his idea.

So yeah, in a universe where the only things you *have* to use are GB1 and GB2, it's not impossible that a Spengler baby was born in 1985 and would thus be 35 by 2020. And thus if Spengler Jr, unlike his/her parents, fell in love and married early (c. age 20 c.2005) Spengler grandchildren in their early to mid-teens or younger would be plausible.

I totally understand your points, Fritz.

But I think if Janine had been a mother back in 1985 she'd have done a better job of babysitting Oscar in GB2. And would she even have time to date Louis if she had a little 4 year old kid running around during the events of GB2? Plus, I personally feel that if Egon and Janine had a child together they would have been closer during GB2.

I think the only way it could work is if they lowered Wolfhard's age for his character.

Carrie Coon could pass for being 30, or more likely the absent father of the family could be 30 (which would fit with E/J getting together soon after the events of GB2 and having a son) but if their son had a child at 17 then the eldest grandchild of Egon and Janine would have to be 13 years old. Wolfhard is 16 years old, though he played a 14-year old in the latest series of Stranger Things, so they could age him down for it, but at 16 he's going to visibly age pretty quickly between now and 2020, and probably wouldn't pass for a younger child. I don't think he looks 13 in the GB2020 family photo, though if he were Egon and Janine's grandson then maybe he could be portrayed as an intellectual child who seems older than his years, or something. Mckenna Grace is only 13, so I think they could lower her age to 11 pretty easily.

It just seems a bit of a stretch to make it all fit.

Also, it seems that the family don't know their connection to ghostbusters and if we consider Egon and Janine to have been their familial connection, then for someone not to know that both their parents were involved in the ghostbusters business seems a bit strange.

Fritz wrote:
Ungh. I know it's almost certainly an immature position, but since it's one I've had since I was fifteen it's not changing anytime soon: revealing Egon procreated with anyone who isn't Janine will turn me against this movie in an eyeblink. Better the disappointing nieces/nephews/cousins thing than that.

Don't get me wrong, I would love it to bits if the new family were revealed to be direct descendents of Egon and Janine. I would be impressed beyond measure if they managed to tie it into the first film perfectly.

But when I think about GB2 and where the characters of Egon and Janine are now in the IDW series, I just feel that they've been set aside for so long that it just won't happen.

ghostdiva wrote:
Oh. And I wondered earlier if they were looking for the unused EgonnJanine footage to use, particularly the alternate ending where they got married in Vegas.

They showed the 'you have nice clavicles' scene during Ghostbusters Fan Fest and Jason wondered why Ivan didn't use it in the final film, so that was one E/J scene that got noticed.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2019, 4:46 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Did they ever officially say that GB2 was gonna be cannon? I thought it said, events of the FIRST movie.

PostPosted: July 13th, 2019, 5:34 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

They said GB2020 is a love letter to the first movie and based upon the events of the first movie, but I think GB2 is still officially canon. It runs on the same timeline as the Ghostbusters Prime IDW comics.

But if they discount GB2 as canon, then I'm gonna party like it's 1999! :lol: :mrgreen: 8-)

PostPosted: July 14th, 2019, 3:33 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

So, I don't know who this person is, but, if this is true then insay my theories are correct.

https://twitter.com/EdwardGeretyIII/sta ... 8696935429

Quote:
It is following the grandkids of the original #Ghostbusters... focus on Igon since he is no longer with us but giving the other three a spot.

It jumps 40 years into the future from the ending of Ghostbusters 2.

#GB20 is going back to the successful way of making films.

Fritz, I can't get this link to work. Sorry

Last edited by Fritz on July 14th, 2019, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleaned up Twitter link

PostPosted: July 14th, 2019, 3:54 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
So, I don't know who this person is, but, if this is true then insay my theories are correct.

https://twitter.com/EdwardGeretyIII/sta ... 8696935429

Quote:
It is following the grandkids of the original #Ghostbusters... focus on Igon since he is no longer with us but giving the other three a spot.

It jumps 40 years into the future from the ending of Ghostbusters 2.

#GB20 is going back to the successful way of making films.

Fritz, I can't get this link to work. Sorry

I cleaned it up for you--Twitter and BBS code don't seem compatible. There's probably a hack I could install, but we know how wonky the Spoiler hack is.

Like your reply to him on Twitter said, I'd have to know where he got this stuff before I got too excited about it.

PostPosted: July 15th, 2019, 7:57 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

I feel nauseous today. I've ridden the rollercoaster of wild speculation, gotten off and realized how close I've come to the end. :cry:

PostPosted: July 16th, 2019, 8:42 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

I know there are a lot of people who think that the family are Egon/Janine descendants. I've seen it all over social media.

I'm not sure if that's the way it's going to go, but there are a lot of people thinking it.

Maybe they will disregard GB2. Maybe they won't be so fussy about the dates, and won't specify the ages of the kids so we can have our fun guessing.

I'd love some official confirmation about whether Annie Potts is going to be involved. Without Egon around, Janine's character doesn't really have ties to the other ghostbusters, and she wasn't directly involved in the previous manifestations like Dana was. She didn't go busting ghosts in the movies; only in the cartoons and comics. So I figure if she's involved, then it's either a walk-on cameo like she did in ATC or her character is in it for another reason...

I do feel like there might be a bit of an eighties vibe going on with this film. I feel like it might be a bit like ET and The Goonies in that the kids are the ones who figure out something strange is going on, and it takes a while for the adults to catch onto what's happening. 

I'm so hyped for this, it's unreal... 8-)