It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:29 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Carl Rivera
PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 7:04 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I don't know. I've decided many times not to post a message for this, because it's just not important. I don't particularly expect anyone to respond- and yet I must get this off my chest, because it strikes me every time.

What are our memories of Eduardo's overbearing older brother, Carl? Overbearing, obviously. Extremely aggressive. A tad violent. Doesn't have any patience with anybody who's at a crime scene or in his house without his express permission. Not all bad: obviously loves his son, and his wife too, but he takes her for granted and is completely insensitive to her obvious desire for everyone to sit down and have a nice family dinner. (Maybe your memories of Carl are different - I don't know.)

Carl appears in the episode "Rage", but whether by accident or not, this isn't his first appearance. He has one line in "Mole People", or at least, a cop with his character design and his voice has a line in "Mole People". I don't remember whether the same was true of RGB, but EGB re-used character designs all the time. The waitress in the Jersey diner crops up everywhere, and the two teenagers joy-riding at the beginning of "Rage" were one of the heavies harrassing the merchant in "Eyes of a Dragon" and Sven, the boy who summoned the pterodactyl-type thing in "Bird of Prey". So maybe this person in "Mole People" wasn't particularly intended to be the same character as Carl. But I don't care. The fact that they used his design and got the same guy to do his voice pretty much makes it Carl as far as I'm concerned.

So what does he say? One of his fellow cops suggests arresting some mole people because of the problems the city is experiencing with its power supply. Carl then says something along the lines of, "What? Come on - those people never did us any harm." Now that's interesting, and something I wanted to get off my chest, even though there are so many more important things I could be doing. The line shows tolerance of people who are different, and I don't think it's necessarily inconsistent with Carl's character. If he wasn't essentially a good man, I don't think that lovely woman would have married him. He takes his job extremely seriously, and clearly has a lot of beef with Eduardo and doesn't mind showing it; but that's nothing to do with the mole people. If you leave him alone, he leaves you alone.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

Post subject: Re: Carl Rivera
PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 12:50 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
EGBFan wrote:
Carl appears in the episode "Rage", but whether by accident or not, this isn't his first appearance. He has one line in "Mole People", or at least, a cop with his character design and his voice has a line in "Mole People". I don't remember whether the same was true of RGB, but EGB re-used character designs all the time. .

I would like to go back and see if he pops up in the MIB cartoon

EGBFan wrote:
I
Carl appears in the episode "Rage", but whether by accident or not, this isn't his first appearance. He has one line in "Mole People", or at least, a cop with his character design and his voice has a line in "Mole People". I don't remember whether the same was true of RGB, but EGB re-used character designs all the time. The waitress in the Jersey diner crops up everywhere, and the two teenagers joy-riding at the beginning of "Rage" were one of the heavies harrassing the merchant in "Eyes of a Dragon" and Sven, the boy who summoned the pterodactyl-type thing in "Bird of Prey". So maybe this person in "Mole People" wasn't particularly intended to be the same character as Carl. But I don't care. The fact that they used his design and got the same guy to do his voice pretty much makes it Carl as far as I'm concerned.

So what does he say? One of his fellow cops suggests arresting some mole people because of the problems the city is experiencing with its power supply. Carl then says something along the lines of, "What? Come on - those people never did us any harm." Now that's interesting, and something I wanted to get off my chest, even though there are so many more important things I could be doing. The line shows tolerance of people who are different, and I don't think it's necessarily inconsistent with Carl's character. If he wasn't essentially a good man, I don't think that lovely woman would have married him. He takes his job extremely seriously, and clearly has a lot of beef with Eduardo and doesn't mind showing it; but that's nothing to do with the mole people. If you leave him alone, he leaves you alone.

Well if mole people come before Rage then thy may have just not worked out hist charactee

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 2:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
I sit and think about it, and I like that thought. It's so easy to fall into writing Carlos as every authoritarian macho sexist stereotype, that giving him a tolerant, "As long as you ain't buggin' anyone I don't care" side provides a neat new angle to the character.

(Digression. I wonder if the EGB writers knew about the GB1 novelizations when they created Carl Rivera. In the GB1 novelization they mention Ray has a brother in the Air Force whom he doesn't get along with. And he's even named Carl. It seems too similar to be total coincidence, but it might be.

It'd certainly give Ray and Eduardo something to talk about, though

Ray: ...Yeah, well, I haven't seen or heard from my older brother Carl in over a quarter century

Eduardo: I should be so lucky.)

PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 5:07 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
That's interesting about Ray. If I ever picked that up (I'm sure it's been mentioned around these parts before), I forgot about it.

I don't know if anyone ever notices, but I do try to make Carl a rounded character with good and bad points in my stories. A couple of times I've even had him doing favours for Eduardo ("A Little Boy Lost" springs to mind). He doesn't even come across that badly in "Rage", really; when he's at his most aggressive, it's when he's mad with panic about his son's safety. It's only when he discovers that Kevin is missing that the whole shirt-grabbing-and-shaking-thing happens: "This is all your fault! If anyhing happens to Kevin...!"

But in spite of it all, I was pretty amazed when I finally got to see "Mole People". The first time I had seen him was kicking the Ghostbusters off a crime scene and saying things like, "I don't take orders from you. You take orders from me." Well, you only get one chance at a first impression.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: October 15th, 2007, 6:59 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Fritz wrote:

I sit and think about it, and I like that thought. It's so easy to fall into writing Carlos as every authoritarian macho sexist stereotype, that giving him a tolerant, "As long as you ain't buggin' anyone I don't care" side provides a neat new angle to the character.

I don't think that he all that in tolerant to me I think that his only real problem is with she brother Eduardo .

As for him not liking the the ghostbusters . I think it would be a good back story if when Carlos was first on the force that he may have bin partnered with Fromp

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel