It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:30 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Ghostbusters QI
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 6:14 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
***Edit: Well this is embarrassing. This topic belongs in the Ghostbusters animation forum, so goodness knows why I poted it in general. But never mind, I thought, I'm a mod. I can move it! So after spending about five minutes trying to find the really obvious quick-mod tools thingy at the bottom of the post, I take the logical steps only to be told the action is not allowed! Grr...

Sorry. :oops:***

Hello, Ghostbusters fans. I want to play a game.

Occasionally I’ll nick ideas from my brother’s activities in the Knightmare fandom, and reproduce them here. This is one of those times. Adapted from Knightmare QI, Ghostbusters QI stands for Ghostbusters Quite Interesting (the abbreviation sounds way cooler, I know).

I am going to pose a series of questions. Not very many - I had trouble just thinking of these six. They will be about EGB, and they will all have a cliché answer - or possibly more than one - which is incorrect. So you have to find the correct answer? Oh, if only it were that simple.

As it’s mostly RGB fans around here, I don’t expect to get a great number of responses, but if you do want to have a go at this, then I will give you points. Points! Doesn’t that sound good? So here’s how the scoring system works:

1 point for giving the correct answer
1 point for identifying the cliché answer
2 points maximum for any additional information
1 point will be deducted for giving the cliché as an answer

So, an example. I’ll use a question I would have posed, if I had not already revealed the answer on a previous thread: In which EGB episode does Carl Rivera make his first appearance?

An EGB savvy person would say: The cliché answer would be “Rage”, in which Carl is introduced properly as Eduardo’s brother and has a guest starring role. We also meet his wife Beth, and their son Kevin. However, the correct answer is “Mole People”, which is two episodes before “Rage” (“A Temporary Insanity” being the one in between), in which Carl appears as a generic nameless cop and has one line.

That person might even quote the line, if they could be bothered to look at their copy of the episode and find the right place - but even without it, all that would be enough for the maximum four points. However, if you answered “Rage” and nothing else, your points total would be minus one. If you gave a lot of interesting information about Carl and “Rage” but still gave the cliché as your answer, you would earn two points for info but have one deducted and your total would be one - got it? That’s all clear?

Well, let me rabbit on a bit more anyway. You could theoretically earn three points for all questions even if you don’t actually know the right answer. How, you ask? Why, by identifying the cliché and then showing off a bit of EGB knowledge, of course, as long as it’s at least a bit relevant to the question.

When you’re done, it might be fun to post some questions of this nature about RGB and take probably more answers than I’m going to get. But if you want to do that, I think it would be good manners to have a go at my questions first. With my brother, people were answering in e-mails and PMs to avoid participants nicking each other’s answers, but I’m just going to ask you to answer in the thread, and anyone wanting to attain those much coveted points honestly will have the decency not to read other people’s answers.

I’ll post the answers (and dole out those lovely points) in… I don’t know, a few days (it should really be longer but I know I’ll get bored waiting). Some answers may be debatable (especially if I’ve missed something that might have been in RGB that compromises my answers), but we’ll cross those bridges if and when we come to them. So, at long last, those questions:

1. In “Darkness at Noon”, who is the first soon-to-be Ghostbuster to arrive at Egon’s lecture?

2. How many regular characters’ siblings’ names do we learn during the series?

3. How many Extreme Ghostbusters are possessed during the course of the series?

4. In how many EGB episodes do we see the original RGB basic equipment package (by my definition: proton gun, trap and PKE meter) in its entirety?

5. How many characters’ names (first names only, or first and second names) do we learn in “Darkness at Noon”, and whose are they?

6. How many characters speak Spanish at some point during the series?

…And that’s all. Please try to answer. It’ll be fun!

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

Post subject: Re: Ghostbusters QI
PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 9:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
EGBFan wrote:
***Edit: Well this is embarrassing. This topic belongs in the Ghostbusters animation forum, so goodness knows why I poted it in general. But never mind, I thought, I'm a mod. I can move it! So after spending about five minutes trying to find the really obvious quick-mod tools thingy at the bottom of the post, I take the logical steps only to be told the action is not allowed! Grr...

Sorry. :oops:***

The permissions all look right, but that doesn't rule out a glitch or something. I'm on a rather low priority account on the server (basically "Free with the domain name") so sometimes it doesn't do something right if you do it too "fast".

Believe me, as soon as I can afford to go with a better paid account, I will. :oops:

PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 12:42 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Ok I'll play you're little game :twisted:

Ummm anyway.

Question 1. The first person in the lecture hall was Kylie. The first person to arrive through the doors and on camera was Garrett.

Question 5.
I am considering your difinition of "character" to be a character that is mentioned or appears more than once during the series or is the main focus of a story.

In this case, I count 9.

Egon Spengler
Eduardo
Slimer
Janine Melnitz
Great Grandma Rose
Akira
Kylie
Roland
and Peagan

And if we count the ghosts I think we should count the Ecto-1 as well, which brings it to 10. Ecto-1 being a character would also affect the possesion question because it was possesed in the series, lol.

How'd I do?
ghostdiva

PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 6:15 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Points totals will be doled out at the end of the week, but I can tell you that so far you're winning. Ha!

Aaaaanyway, I should warn you of something, though. Never, ever, ever assume the question-maker's definition of anything. In this particular game, that can be a fatal mistake. You'll notice I've given one definition. I'll only do that when I think someone can completely tear apart my "correct" answers by saying something I was unaware of, unless I make the definition clear beforehand (something else I picked up from my brother - there's some dispute among Knightmare fans as to the definition of "wall monster").

Now I'm a little disappointed that you only decided to answer two questions. :cry: In Knightmare QI, you have to answer all of them or you, you, you don't get any points! :shock:

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 10:24 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Too many rules....

Anywho... I am a stickler for details in stuff like this, and if I don't get you definition of character then I have no idea what to think about anything in life ever again. SO there.

And I will answer the other questions before Saturday. I think I can answer two others now, but I want to look into it a bit more.

These culmination of the entire series questions are tough.

ghostdiva

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 1:27 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Ok here are my other answers.

2. We learn of Roland's brother, Kevin. Eduardo's brother, Carl. And Janine's sister, Doris.

3. All of them, Kylie in Darness at Noon, everyone else in the Mirror People ep.

4. Three times, Darkness At Noon, Back in the Saddle, A Temporary Insanity

6. Two: Garrett, Eduardo

Though there is room for argument on #6, because in theory, you speak SPanish every time you say Eduardo's name, and I have no idea if some of those ghosts names are Spanish in origin.

ghostdiva

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 1:52 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
And Janine's sister, Doris.

Whoa, wait, what? Where did I miss this? :o

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 2:45 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Quote:
ghostdiva wrote:

Quote:
Whoa, wait, what? Where did I miss this?

This was in Fall Out, she left for the weekend to go and visit her sister Doris. Egon learned that he couldn't run the business without her... The question was for names mentioned, not just who we see on camera. Hope that helps

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 4:15 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
can I ask a question here ass well ?

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 4:30 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Ok...

The Answers

N/B: I typed this all out at on the same day I wrote the questions, and I can’t be bothered to change it. I also typed this note out at that time - so I may or may not be repeating (or perhaps contradicting) what somebody else has said. We can deal with that later. So…

1. In “Darkness at Noon”, who is the first soon-to-be Ghostbuster to arrive at Egon’s lecture?

Cliché answer: Garrett
Correct answer: Kylie

A nice easy one to start off with. You might slip up here if you remember that the first shot after the titles is Garrett entering the lecture hall, but you don’t remember what happens next. What actually happens is that he finds Kylie already there, so clearly she arrived first. Easy points!*

Some additional useless information: In this opening scene, Garrett and Roland are both wearing their regular non-Ghostbusting clothes. Kylie and Eduardo, however, are wearing clothes that we never see again once they have donned their Ghostbusters uniform - Eduardo in part 1, and Kylie in part 2.

2. How many regular characters’ siblings’ names do we learn during the series?

Cliché answer: two
Correct answer: three

Everyone knows that we meet Roland’s brother Casey, and Eduardo’s brother Carl(os). But clearly at least a few people don’t remember that Egon mentions the name of Janine’s sister at the beginning of “Fallout” - but I think it would be better if I didn’t tell you now what it is.**

Some additional useless information: It is said explicitly more than once (specifically in “Grease and “Rage”) that Roland has a large family. It is before either of those episodes that we meet Casey, in “Grundelesque”. In this episode Roland’s mother comes to the firehouse to collect Casey, and Roland says to her, “I’ll be home soon, Mom.” She then drives off straightaway without showing herself to the people watching at home. Carl Rivera is introduced properly in “Rage”, in which we can infer that Eduardo’s father is dead, but they make no mention of any mother.

3. How many Extreme Ghostbusters are possessed during the course of the series?

Cliché answer: four or five
Correct answer: one

We all remember Kylie being possessed by Akira in “Darkness at Noon”. Many of us will also remember the episode “The Ghostmakers”, in which every Ghostbuster except Kylie has his body taken over by a demon - and so do Janine and Slimer. So you might answer four, if you don’t count Egon as an Extreme Ghostbuster (which I don’t think anybody does), or five if you do. But I think, in fact, you would be wrong. Those particular demons eject your spirit from your body in order to use it themselves, rather than getting into your mind, body and soul as Akira does to Kylie. So that’s not really possession, now is it.

Some additional useless information: This is the single episode in which Garrett’s legs can be seen to work, but of course he isn’t working them. It is also the episode in which the mass maker gloves are introduced, and then we never see them again. We also learn that Eduardo hates mayonnaise, and we see Roland chewing his nails through his gloves. Seriously, you can earn those two bonus points for anything even vaguely relevant.

4. In how many EGB episodes do we see the original RGB basic equipment package (by my definition: proton gun, trap and PKE meter) in its entirety?

Cliché answers: one, two, three or four
Correct answer: none

The episodes in which original equipment of some description appears are “Darkness at Noon, Part 1”, “Darkness at Noon, Part 2”, “A Temporary Insanity” and “Back in the Saddle, Part 1” (*cough* crappy episode *cough*). But there is never a complete set. The only time we see an RGB trap is in “Back in the Saddle”. On this occasion, Egon is using a PKE meter, but it’s his regular EGB one (and why not?). So, never.

Some additional useless information: Most RGB fans seem to love “Back in the Saddle” in spite of a few small gripes they all share (I don’t have to tell you), but I hate it. In terms of original equipment, the OGBs turn up with it during the first bust of the episode. In “A Temporary Insanity”, Janine gets to do something cool when she smashes a glass case in order to get to an old proton gun which is strapped to a statue of Peter, whose face is blurred for copyright reasons. And, in “Darkness at Noon”, the Egon and later the EGBs are using the old equipment before the upgrade all die-hard fans hate - and since that happens in part 2, it is an original proton gun with which Eduardo successfully blasts Akira’s spirit out of Kylie without killing her.

5. How many characters’ names (first names only, or first and second names) do we learn in “Darkness at Noon”, and whose are they?

Cliché answer: four, five, seven or eight; any list which includes Garrett and/or Mayor McShayne
Correct answer: six: Eduardo, Kylie, Roland, Grandma Rose, Pagan and Akira
Acceptable answers: nine: all of the above plus Egon, Janine and Slimer, if this is the viewer’s first experience of Ghostbusters; or even ten, if you count the Ecto-1 as a character (as I think some people do)

Garrett’s name is not revealed until the beginning of episode three, “The True Face of a Monster”. We learn Eduardo, Kylie and Roland’s first names, in that order. We also meet Pagan, whom Kylie calls by name, and Egon’s research into the paranormal threat turns up Akira. Although “the mayor” is mentioned by a construction worker in the very first scene of the series, and later makes his first appearance in that episode, we do not yet learn his name. Egon addresses him twice as “Mr. Mayor”.

Some additional useless information: Akira’s name is derived from a word (anyone wants to tell me how to spell the long language beginning with M…) meaning “destroyer of civilisations”. Pagan’s first appearance is in Kylie’s bedroom, where he turns up again in “Be Careful What You Wish For” with Eduardo inhabiting his body. After that, he goes to the vet and then the firehouse, and finishes up at Grand Central Station. Apart from those two episodes, his only other appearance is in a photograph in “Grease”. Kylie also mentions him once in “Back in the Saddle, Part 1”. We learn Grandma Rose’s name when Kylie starts bearing her soul about her the moment she meets Roland. Roland does not introduce himself, however, until sometime between them all leaving the lecture hall and getting into his car; we learn his name by Janine using it. Eduardo and Kylie both introduce themselves during the lecture, Kylie waiting until Eduardo has annoyed her by calling her “babe” before she reveals her name, Eduardo already having announced his name after Kylie calls him “Mr. Half A Brain Cell”. Egon is referred to by name at length before he appears. He introduces Janine when she turns up, who in turn introduces Slimer when he too comes to the lecture.

6. How many characters speak Spanish at some point during the series?

Cliché answer: one or two
Correct answer: three
Acceptable answer: four

Everyone knows that Eduardo speaks a little bit of Spanish from time to time. Some might remember the Spanish-speaking cleaning lady who works at the museum where the Orb of Moldova is being exhibited, and has her eyes plucked in “The Unseen”; and some might remember that Garrett speaks a little bit of Spanish in “Witchy Woman”: “In Inglés, por favor?” You get a point if you remembered both. I’d also award a point for answering four; I mentioned the cleaner having her eyes plucked, and even though we see the demon Tenebrach coming to do the deed, we don’t actually hear what he says to her. It would make sense that the writers realised he’d speak to her in her own language (in fact I’m glad they did), but couldn’t be bothered to figure out the Spanish for, “Of the sacred seal you did partake; now your sight you must forsake.” So, even though we didn’t hear it, he almost certainly spoke a bit of Spanish there.

Some additional useless information: Egon calls the museum to warn anyone working late not to look at the Orb of Moldova, but can’t warn the cleaning lady because he doesn’t speak Spanish and she doesn’t speak English. They could use Eduardo, but unfortunately he and Kylie are out on the trail of two stolen proton guns. Egon sends Garrett and Roland to the rescue of the cleaner, but they get arrested on their way to the museum (because the people with Eduardo and Kylie’s weapons have used them to rob a bank). The cleaning lady loses her eyes to Tenebrach, but doesn’t make a fuss and go to hospital like everyone else it happens to; the next time we see her, she is at home attempting to operate her bathroom sink with no eyes. Stoical woman, obviously.

*Or, indeed, if you fell for my cunning phrasing. Sorry, ghostdiva.

**Ah well.

So, now for those points. ghostdiva:

Question 1: you unfortunately answered with the cliche: -1
Question 2: you confused Roland's brother Casey with Eduardo's nephew, but since I didn't ask for specific names, you can have the points, one for the answer and one for the info: 1
Question 3: cliche answer again: 0
Question 4: and again: -1
Question 5: you didn't give my ideal answer, but it was equally acceptable, so one point: 0
Question 6: wrong again: -1

Total points: -1
But you still won anyway.
Thank you so much for participating.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 6:09 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ghostdiva wrote:
Quote:
ghostdiva wrote:

Quote:
Whoa, wait, what? Where did I miss this?

This was in Fall Out, she left for the weekend to go and visit her sister Doris. Egon learned that he couldn't run the business without her... The question was for names mentioned, not just who we see on camera. Hope that helps

Gah...I am kicking myself. How in the hell could I have missed that all these years? That's usually exactly the kind of detail I normally obsessively put down on paper or text file as soon as I hear it. And I missed this one.

I guess it helps that it's obscure enough that it took five years for anyone to correct me on it...but damn, that mean for five years I've been contradicting a piece of canon without realizing it.

Time to go through all the Timelines and fan fics and weed out all those "Deann"s I guess... :x

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 9:54 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Ah Well, the rules of that game are a little confusing, and or subject to interpretation, so I guess I did okay, and I won, so its all good. I only watched Darkness at Noon to find the answers, so I remembered well.

And Fritz, I think one of us is having a brain fart because I remember a convo you had with someone else about the Doris thing, and you said you weren't going to count it. Which didn't make sense to me, but now you can change it I guess. :geek:

Anyway, I thought you already knew that.

ghostdiva

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 10:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Unless I'm having a major brain failure, I was never reminded of this fact. Right now I'm honestly wondering if the station in my area edited their broadcast or something (you know..."unimportant" scene cut to make room for more commercials!!!), as I keep thinking this is exactly the kind of fact I'd remember.

The only thing I can think of that you might have confused for this exchange might have been a time a couple years backwhen someone mentioned a site claiming Venkman's Dad's name was "Jim". We pretty much agreed that since, to the best of our knowledge, the name wasn't in the series itself, we could disregard it and keep calling him Charlie.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 12:40 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
thanks

ok here it is . What is Egon favourite baseball teem

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 2:49 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
Fritz wrote:
Unless I'm having a major brain failure, I was never reminded of this fact. Right now I'm honestly wondering if the station in my area edited their broadcast or something (you know..."unimportant" scene cut to make room for more commercials!!!), as I keep thinking this is exactly the kind of fact I'd remember.

Actually Fritz, I was going to mention Janine's sister's name as being Doris a few times, but I though that maybe you didn't like the name or something & went with Deann instead. So I didn't bother. Oh Well. :?

Jason knetge wrote:
ok here it is . What is Egon favourite baseball teem

The Blue Jays. Egon mentions it riiiiiiiigggght at the end of "Night Game." You can only just hear it! :)

Here's my question:
What is Peter's favourite TV show & why would it have been of signifigance to Lorenzo Music?