It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:54 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: June 14th, 2009, 1:15 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
http://www.whattheyplay.com/features/harold-ramis-dad-gamer/

Quote:
The kind of animation that was done in the cartoon show I have no use for. It was made to keep kids amused for a half hour.
:cry:

PostPosted: June 14th, 2009, 3:58 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
well that sort of sucks But I don't think he means it like that . there are some things in RGB that are a bit juvenile .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: June 14th, 2009, 3:17 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Cancer
It's his opinion. It's also my opinion that his opinion sucks.

Did it not occur to Ramis that that's why cartoons are generally made? Criticism by simplification - the first defence of fools.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2009, 6:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Well, let's face it, this is the guy who thought having Janine get involved with Louis Tully was a good idea, so yeah...

It's amazing the mix of feelings I have on Ramis. On the one hand, he created and brilliantly played by favorite character of the group. On the other hand, he says and does stuff regarding the property that make me want to smack my head Or his into a wall.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 3:19 am 
Moononite
Moononite

Guys, he said ANIMATION. The hell is wrong with you all? You're acting like he came out and said "The cartoon sucks", when in fact, he's basically saying the animation was simplistic in nature, which it WAS. He's also speaking in terms of using it in favor of a CG MOTION PICTURE. If they do Ghostbusters 3 as a CG movie, why the hell would they use the RGB character designs as the basis for it? That would make NO sense with the movies, and cause nothing but confusion for the die-hard fans and the people only following the movies alike.

Movie fan: Why is Egon blonde?

Cartoon fan: Does this fit in with continuity?

Movie fan: Why is Ray acting like a 5-year old?

Cartoon fan: Where are the Extreme Ghostbusters!?

I love the cartoon as much as the next guy, but jeez people, it WAS made for young kids and it definitely still shows when you watch it. They made Ray only a few IQ points above retarded in some episodes and the range of motion for the characters is on the same level as the Tin Man when he's crying.

I'm not insulting the show either, I think that, in spite of the flaws presented by the time period in which it was produced, it is still a VERY endearing show with a lot of heart to it.

Oh and Joker, I dont wanna pick a fight with you or anything, but I cant not tell you that your comment about "Its his opinion. Its also my opinion that his opinion sucks", was REALLY immature and I think you guys need to take a good hard look at the way you guys are reacting and think: "Hmmm, am I being overly critical?"

Finally, I'm not saying you all should love EVERYTHING about the new stuff, I've got no business telling you that, because it IS all your opinions, and I'm not going to tell you they arent just as valid as mine, but when it comes to taking a little comment like THAT and trying to tear the man down just because you're pissed because a CARTOON isn't going to be the basis for the future of a franchise based off one of the highest grossing comedy MOVIES of all time, its time to take a step back and look at it a TAD more fairly. I joined up with the ghost-head community in the first place because we DIDNT engage in petty fanboy bullshit like the "Lucas sucks balls" crowds over at theforce.net or the "JJ Abrams should die" crowd over at the trekkie boards, and from the looks of things recently... that looks like where we're heading.

I'm not here to tear anyone down, I'm merely trying to level the playing field, because it sure as hell seems like I'm the ONLY one looking at both sides of the issue here.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 1:58 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
No . I'm with you on that Mick . i agree with a lot of what you said .

Animation has come a long way sins the Day of RGB . Yes there are a lot of episodes that hold up but there are also a lot that don't . Especially in character design and overall tone . In some you have them going up against the old one . Others you have them fighting ghost like the GRU . Also what a bout Dweeb , The most out of place human in history . You have a guy with three fingers yelling at some one with fore fingers .

You have to thing that me now have cartoons like TMNE . { The CG one and the cartoon . } the 2001 He-man Hulk Vs Wolverine and the Hell-boy DVD's .
Not to mention some of the stuff from japan they would have a lot to consider if they did a cartoon .

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 2:46 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

jason knetge wrote:
No . I'm with you on that Mick . i agree with a lot of what you said .

Animation has come a long way sins the Day of RGB .
Quote:

Yes it has. Sometimes the right way, sometimes the wrong way.

Yes there are a lot of episodes that hold up but there are also a lot that don't . Especially in character design and overall tone . In some you have them going up against the old one . Others you have them fighting ghost like the GRU . Also what a bout Dweeb , The most out of place human in history . You have a guy with three fingers yelling at some one with fore fingers .
Quote:

Professor Dweeb is representative of the show at its very worst. What you've said is a bit like judging the original Star Trek by "Spock's Brain."

You have to thing that me now have cartoons like TMNE . { The CG one and the cartoon . } the 2001 He-man Hulk Vs Wolverine and the Hell-boy DVD's . [quote]

What about all the rubbish stuff that's out these days?

Anyway, Ramis is wrong not just because of any quality-related argument, but because of the lofty position RGB holds within the Ghosthead community. Pretty much every GBs website out there gives a good deal of coverage to it, it's even well incorporated into the Omnibus Timeline here, and many Ghostheads (myself included) prefer it over the movies. Compare this to say, Star Trek: TAS, which is very much treated as the red-headed stepchild of the franchise, or pretty much any other movie-derived cartoon show ever made.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 4:21 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Well I feel its annoying as a fan to have one of the main two writers dis the media style they had they ideas spun on. I know its not his writing or Dans that made the cartoons, but they signed off on it, and they got royalties for it.

It becomes a matter of what Harold really thinks of GB overall. He also said that the games isn't to him canon.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2009, 8:24 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Okay. It's simple.

Harold Ramis has the right to think whatever he wants.

Fans have every right to disagree with him.

Ramis co-created the property that brought us here. But does that mean his opinions are unassailable?

No.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2009, 12:31 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

I didnt say his opinions were unassailable, I'm saying that this entire thread is absolute RUBBISH because your nit-picking at a comment he made about the SHITTY ANIMATION that shows had from the 80's.

Cartoon animation back then sucked, its just a fact.

The arguments that are being made against Harold Ramis make NO sense, you're all just pissed off because he's not interested in writing something he had NOTHING to do with other than, as you mentioned, "signed off on it". Nowhere in that article does he say that the show itself was bad, he just said he doesnt have any use for the ANIMATION STYLE. and as I pointed out, he DOESNT have any use for it. Nobody does unless they're going to do a RGB movie. The fact is, you guys work SO hard to distance yourselves from the movies that you so actively dislike, then you turn around and get pissed because they wont use it when they are clearly doing a sequel (be it the game or possible 3rd flick) to THE MOVIES, not the show. You guys got a sequel to RGB, it was called Extreme Ghostbusters.

I say again, stop acting like overly critical fanboys, you're all BETTER than that.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2009, 3:42 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Mick Nielson wrote:
I didnt say his opinions were unassailable, I'm saying that this entire thread is absolute RUBBISH because your nit-picking at a comment he made about the SHITTY ANIMATION that shows had from the 80's.

Cartoon animation back then sucked, its just a fact.

The arguments that are being made against Harold Ramis make NO sense, you're all just pissed off because he's not interested in writing something he had NOTHING to do with other than, as you mentioned, "signed off on it". Nowhere in that article does he say that the show itself was bad, he just said he doesnt have any use for the ANIMATION STYLE. and as I pointed out, he DOESNT have any use for it. Nobody does unless they're going to do a RGB movie. The fact is, you guys work SO hard to distance yourselves from the movies that you so actively dislike, then you turn around and get pissed because they wont use it when they are clearly doing a sequel (be it the game or possible 3rd flick) to THE MOVIES, not the show. You guys got a sequel to RGB, it was called Extreme Ghostbusters.

I say again, stop acting like overly critical fanboys, you're all BETTER than that.

Ok first off, I'm not trying to promote some angry anti-movie agenda here. I just perfer the RGB and EGB over the movies.

Second, I am a college student majoring in animation, and I love 80's cartoons and older more than the current Flash and maya animations. I just do. I like good art that is fun and expressive.

Third, I'm not trying to bash anyone here in the thread on their thoughts on this. If you disagree, then thats cool with me. Who wants a debate that everyone agrees on.

Finally, Like noted already Harold Ramis is entitled to say what he wants, and bash every part of the whole GB franchise if he wants, and each fan can decide how to deal with it. Like noted I did quote only part of a whole interview, as that was the part I wasn't happy to hear.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2009, 8:32 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

I'm not saying your bashing anyone here, my point was, HES NOT BASHING THE DAMN SHOW!

All I'm pointing out is that you guys are being nit-pickers just because you're pissed that Ramis prefers (big surprise) the part of Ghostbusters that he was actually INVOLVED with.

As for quoting only part of the interview, of course you did, because putting it IN CONTEXT would have made it more obvious to everyone that he was bashing RGB, he was answering a specific question about animation style for the (mostly debunked) CGI Ghostbusters III.

Also, just to clarify, I dont have some kind of personal investment in Harold Ramis' public opinion, I'm just getting REALLY fed up with people acting like a bunch of goddamn STAR TREK fans around here. I joined this community because we DONT act like that.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2009, 8:52 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Oh like all freaking cartoons today are Flash?

Justice League Unlimited
Spectacular Spider-Man
Wolverine and the X-Men
Transformers Animated

Versus

Superfriends
Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends/90's Fox Spider-Man
90's Fox X-Men
and "G1" Transformers

That's 4 modern day cartoons just off the top of my head that are superior in EVERY conceivable category to their older counterparts.

From one (former) animation major to another, 80's animation is inferior, bottom line. If RGB were made today, same character designs, same scripts, same voice actors, and the ONLY thing changed was that it was drawn, painted, and animated using today's cleaner, more evolved techniques? It would look better. If you deny that, you're out of your goddamn mind.

Hell, I think XGB looks better visually than RGB.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2009, 10:39 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Tell 'em Steve-Dave

PostPosted: June 20th, 2009, 11:16 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Libra
I personally like the animation from the 80's...there was just an 'earthiness' and 'authenticity' to it that I find is missing from animation these days...which is how it is with most things when they are done more by hand and less by computer...

But that's just me. And I don't expect, or need, everyone to agree with me on that.

I re-read Ramis' comment and am trying to see it for what it actually says...which is dissing the animation style, not the actual writing, etc. Because I think that the writers, particularly from the first two seasons, did a damn good job in making a cartoon that was entertaining to children, teens and even adults...there was a maturity to RGB that most cartoons didn't have back in the 80's...and it even translates well today...and of course there is an entirely different vibe to the 15 minute Chuck Jones style Slimer! shorts and the original RGB episodes...they did a great job at maintaining the integrity of firehouse and some of the personalities (notice I said 'some') of the main characters...I could see many of the RGB episodes either made into movies or really happening in the Ghostbusters Universe. So I think it is hard to hear Ramis cut up one of the few things that have extended the life of his baby "Ghostbusters" and helped maintain an interest and following to this day, but when you really look at his comment, he's only referring to the animation style (I hope...actually, let me go and read the actual whole article) which is only his personal opinion re: the style of animation, and hopefully not a knock to the whole RGB enterprise.

Last edited by rgbforever on June 20th, 2009, 11:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.