It is currently September 20th, 2018, 1:57 am

All times are UTC-04:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2009, 8:14 pm 
Offline
Moononite
Moononite

Joined: February 18th, 2009, 9:47 pm
Posts: 241
Then I recommend you go watch the movies again.

From the first moment you EVER see Ray in GB1 he's a big ball of energy.

(runs into the room) "This is it! This is definitely it!"

(looks as though he is about to explode) "A free-floating full-torso vaporous apparition! It blew books off shelves from 20 feet away and scared the sox off some poor librarian!"

(as the traumatized woman lays there babbling) "Arms!? I can't wait to get a look at this thing!"

"Hey! Does this pole still work!? (slides down) WOW! This place is great! When can we move in?! You gotta try this pole! I'm gonna get my stuff! (runs halfway up the stairs, then stops) Hey! We should stay here tonight, sleep here! Ya know? To try it out!" (runs off)

(alarm goes off, Ray goes wide-eyed) "Its a call!" (rushes to the pole, is the first one down) "COME ON!"

(almost giddy) "Spengler! I'm with Venkman, HE GOT SLIMED!"

"We got it!" "What is it, will there be any more of them?" (gets more excited as he talks) "Sir, what you had there was what we refer to as a focused, non-terminal repeating phantasm, or a class V Full-Roaming Vapor. A real NASTY one too."

(as they leave) "Coming through! Class V Free-Roaming Vapor!"

I'll stop there, because there's literally DOZENS more to choose from. Ray has always been the most excited of the 4 Ghostbusters about his job, and always gets juiced whenever something cool happens, wheras Egon is too spock-ish to react like that, Winston is too badass, and Peter is... too busy being a smartass to care.

So like I said, go watch the movie again and you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, I didnt intend it to be a hostile remark, if it came across that way, my bad Jason, you know I got no beef with you.


Top
   
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2009, 12:04 am 
Offline
I Have No Life
I Have No Life
User avatar

Joined: August 24th, 2007, 2:20 pm
Posts: 753
Zodiac: Gemini
I know and your right I do need to go back and look like the film .

It may just be the animation in the game but I was just saying that to me it looked like a perfect blend of the two rays .

_________________
Image

Image

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel


Top
   
PostPosted: June 25th, 2009, 4:25 pm 
Offline
Doberman
Doberman
User avatar

Joined: October 17th, 2007, 10:18 am
Posts: 136
Zodiac: Libra
Oh and lets not forget, the first thing that "just popped in there" was NOT a sexy woman, a sports car, or tons of money, but rather...the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Real mature for a grown ass man to think of a puffy white mascot instead of all the other things most grown ass men would think about...CLASSIC Ray!!!

RGB of course intensified the characteristics of the guys to make them more interesting and identifiable, no doubt about it...

(I'm not hating, I'm just playing devils advocate) ;)

In any case, just to clarify, I hope I'm not clumped in there as one of these over-zealous RGB fans who is hating on Ramis, I was just making an observation and expressing an opinion, which I thought was okay to do.

Truth be told, I'm sort of excited about the game, and so far from what I've heard it doesn't really mess with canon anyways.

I still stand by my comment/observation/whatever that RGB was more 'mature' than other cartoons in the 80's but I reiterate, that was very short lived. Of course it was dumbed down, but I just didn't like hearing Ramis seemingly 'knock' the very thing that kept his idea alive so long...I honestly don't think that if it wasn't for the success of RGB and the extended fandom, that the Ghostbusters Game would be as hyped or as profitable as it is.


Top
   
PostPosted: June 25th, 2009, 6:58 pm 
Offline
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: July 26th, 2007, 5:15 pm
Posts: 3105
Location: Indianapolis
Zodiac: Taurus
rgbforever wrote:
...I honestly don't think that if it wasn't for the success of RGB and the extended fandom, that the Ghostbusters Game would be as hyped or as profitable as it is.


Let me put it simply:

If there had been no cartoon, or it had never been the great show JMS made it, (Lord help us if Filmation had secured the animation rights...) I wouldn't be here in this community. As great as the first movie was, and I love it to pieces, it didn't get me enthused enough about the characters and scenario to want to play in it myself.

It's not the beginning of the franchise, but it's what brought me to the dance.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: June 25th, 2009, 7:41 pm 
Offline
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2007, 7:03 am
Posts: 150
Zodiac: Cancer
rgbforever wrote:
Oh and lets not forget, the first thing that "just popped in there" was NOT a sexy woman, a sports car, or tons of money, but rather...the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Real mature for a grown ass man to think of a puffy white mascot instead of all the other things most grown ass men would think about...CLASSIC Ray!!!


None of those other things are harmless. He was trying to think of something that couldn't hurt anyone.

Don't forget you're talking about a character who dreams of getting oral sex from ghost women.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: June 25th, 2009, 9:07 pm 
Offline
Moononite
Moononite

Joined: February 18th, 2009, 9:47 pm
Posts: 241
Furthermore, nobody was pointing out MATURE things, I was pointing out the stuff he did in the movie that was excited and enthusiastic.

Read before you reply rgbforever.


Top
   
PostPosted: June 25th, 2009, 11:36 pm 
Offline
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2007, 7:03 am
Posts: 150
Zodiac: Cancer
Oh, and Ozzy? You clearly haven't actually WATCHED TF Animated. I bet you saw like one or two episodes and judged the whole thing on the fly. Yeah, so it looks kinda like Teen Titans. Guess what? Men made of goddamn cubes cannot emote or move dynamically. Organic shapes that bend CAN. But that's alright...different tastes. We were comparing art styles, after all.

...But then you had to say it's "dumbed down", and that's where we have a BIG problem.

See, when it comes to the intelligence and maturity of a show and its target audience, looks aren't important. PLOT and CHARACTER are what's important.

And in that respect, G1 was shit, buddy, Utter shit. It does not hold up at ALL. I can't even be nice about it. It's not in me to tolerate your rose-colored nostalgia goggles.

There was almost zero ongoing continuity until the last season, the characters had shallow, underdeveloped personalities that made them interchangeable ciphers, and the Decepticons never did ANYTHING but fail and retreat. It was the very definition of "dumbed down for kids."

Animated, in total contrast, has FULLY DEVELOPED characters with actual interesting traits, every single episode has continuity, and the plot actually GOES SOMEWHERE and ACCOMPLISHES SOMETHING. It's COMPLEX. Bad guys sometimes win and good guys are sometimes bad. You go back and watch the actual goddamn show. And not just a little bit, either. Make it all the way to season 3 and we'll see if you've learned anything about quality storytelling.

You need to be EDUCATED in a matter before you try to debate about it, son. Only an idiot has the gall to go "new cartoons disappoint me, they're not as good as when I was a kid." when he's not actually giving the new shows a chance. That's deliberate ignorance and it fills me with a rage that you have only begun to know.

People just like you say the same shit about Extreme Ghostbusters, y'know. I expect better from Ectozone posters.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 12:07 am 
Offline
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2007, 7:03 am
Posts: 150
Zodiac: Cancer
Oh, and I thought of yet another modern cartoon that's way better than it's 80's counterpart: 4Kids TMNT.

I wouldn't bother bringing it up, but I'm hoping some of the people reading this topic will take these shows I'm mentioning as a recommendation and go out and enjoy them.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 2:39 pm 
Offline
Moononite
Moononite

Joined: February 18th, 2009, 9:47 pm
Posts: 241
Ya know, I never even thought about the new TMNT, good point Jeff. They actually seem to have lifted a lot of inspiration from the original comic, which I dug, even including Leonardo chopping Shredder's head off in the final showdown.

Extreme Ghostbusters (as I said, I PERSONALLY felt it was mediocre because of the P.C. characters replacing the old team, not because of shitty animation or stories) was another good example because it DID update the animation style and gave us a more mature version of it's 80's counterpart.

Then you also had shows like Spawn, which ran on HBO for a few seasons and that show was BEAUTIFULLY done, its a shame that it was cut down in its prime though, because the art style, characters and story were phenominal. Just another prime example of great animation in a tv show.

And of course who can forget Batman: The Animated Series? That was a classic show with good stories, good animation and good character work.

I think this argument is SOMEWHAT a difference in taste, but it boils down to the fact that yes, the shows we loved from the 80's are classics, but their maturity levels and art style reflected a time period where KIDS mostly watched cartoons and very rarely were the shows geared for adults, that was a trend that began in the 90's with shows like Animaniacs, with the secret jokes for adults. This served two purposes, it allowed kids to enjoy the show (and sometimes their parents too) then when those same kids grow up (namely where we are now) they can go back and watch the show and be like "Damn, I never noticed they did that!" and get a whole new level of enjoyment. The shows in the 90's really set themselves up for lasting success that way.


Top
   
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 7:26 pm 
Offline
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar

Joined: July 26th, 2007, 5:15 pm
Posts: 3105
Location: Indianapolis
Zodiac: Taurus
Quote:
I think this argument is SOMEWHAT a difference in taste, but it boils down to the fact that yes, the shows we loved from the 80's are classics, but their maturity levels and art style reflected a time period where KIDS mostly watched cartoons and very rarely were the shows geared for adults, that was a trend that began in the 90's with shows like Animaniacs, with the secret jokes for adults. This served two purposes, it allowed kids to enjoy the show (and sometimes their parents too) then when those same kids grow up (namely where we are now) they can go back and watch the show and be like "Damn, I never noticed they did that!" and get a whole new level of enjoyment. The shows in the 90's really set themselves up for lasting success that way.


I agree with all of that--it's just that I'd argue that the JMS era of RGB helped bring that about. I can say from personal,anecdotal experience it brought in an audience outside the normal cartoon demographic at the time all by itself--I was fifteen in 1986, and grife, for the first season, even my Dad watched it. He bailed on it when the ABC executives started to "improve" it, of course.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 7:33 pm 
Offline
Moononite
Moononite

Joined: February 18th, 2009, 9:47 pm
Posts: 241
Well I wasn't saying RGB wasn't a good show, I've always maintained that I liked it and that it was endearing, with many great episodes. I say Steven Spielburg and Warner Brothers were what brought about the maturity level in kids cartoons, because it seems like that man had his hands in MOST of the early shows that did that stuff in the 90's.


Top
   
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 8:49 pm 
Offline
Doberman
Doberman
User avatar

Joined: June 25th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Posts: 149
Location: Hannibal, MO USA
Zodiac: Leo
TheRazorsEdge wrote:
Oh, and I thought of yet another modern cartoon that's way better than it's 80's counterpart: 4Kids TMNT.

I wouldn't bother bringing it up, but I'm hoping some of the people reading this topic will take these shows I'm mentioning as a recommendation and go out and enjoy them.


I watch some of the newer TMNT and while I missed the old 80's turtles, that was in the art department a improvement. Not totally liking the comics story proved to be a problem with it for me however. That and i'd rather see bebop and rocksteady than Hun.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: June 26th, 2009, 9:01 pm 
Offline
Doberman
Doberman
User avatar

Joined: June 25th, 2008, 6:51 pm
Posts: 149
Location: Hannibal, MO USA
Zodiac: Leo
TheRazorsEdge wrote:
Oh, and Ozzy? You clearly haven't actually WATCHED TF Animated. I bet you saw like one or two episodes and judged the whole thing on the fly. Yeah, so it looks kinda like Teen Titans. Guess what? Men made of goddamn cubes cannot emote or move dynamically. Organic shapes that bend CAN. But that's alright...different tastes. We were comparing art styles, after all.

...But then you had to say it's "dumbed down", and that's where we have a BIG problem.

See, when it comes to the intelligence and maturity of a show and its target audience, looks aren't important. PLOT and CHARACTER are what's important.

And in that respect, G1 was shit, buddy, Utter shit. It does not hold up at ALL. I can't even be nice about it. It's not in me to tolerate your rose-colored nostalgia goggles.

There was almost zero ongoing continuity until the last season, the characters had shallow, underdeveloped personalities that made them interchangeable ciphers, and the Decepticons never did ANYTHING but fail and retreat. It was the very definition of "dumbed down for kids."

Animated, in total contrast, has FULLY DEVELOPED characters with actual interesting traits, every single episode has continuity, and the plot actually GOES SOMEWHERE and ACCOMPLISHES SOMETHING. It's COMPLEX. Bad guys sometimes win and good guys are sometimes bad. You go back and watch the actual goddamn show. And not just a little bit, either. Make it all the way to season 3 and we'll see if you've learned anything about quality storytelling.

You need to be EDUCATED in a matter before you try to debate about it, son. Only an idiot has the gall to go "new cartoons disappoint me, they're not as good as when I was a kid." when he's not actually giving the new shows a chance. That's deliberate ignorance and it fills me with a rage that you have only begun to know.

People just like you say the same shit about Extreme Ghostbusters, y'know. I expect better from Ectozone posters.


Nothing person but you come off being full of yourself like a self righteous republican. Your not selling me in short. There are a lot of animators that disagree with both of us.

(Transformers Animated)I know what I watched and it was pure crap. I've tried to like it, but it is a very kidish and bad. I hate that dumb girl and they lame attempt of a story. I bet next your be telling me that "Scooby doo Got a clue" is awesome next.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: June 27th, 2009, 1:20 am 
Offline
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2007, 7:03 am
Posts: 150
Zodiac: Cancer
Well no one can say I didn't try. You're clearly too immature to look past your prejudices, most of which only apply to the first season, and watch a good show.

But then, it makes sense. I mean if you like G1, how good can your taste really be?

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: July 16th, 2009, 12:44 am 
Offline
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Joined: July 15th, 2009, 11:49 pm
Posts: 3
Location: Berkley, MA
Zodiac: Pisces
devilmanozzy wrote:

Well, for starters I've only seen one of the four cartoons you listed under recent and Transformers Animated was one of the worse things on tv due to them dumbing down the whole series compared to the orginal in the 80's.

Umm... the 80 toons were very dumb. Megatron's plans was the worst ideas in large robot cartoon history. To add on the Decepticons always losing theme, Galvatron attacked his own troops at least once an episode during seasons 3 and 4. On top of that he is truly insane. Transformers Animated had continuity and was more clever than the G1 and Starscream was able to take out all of the Autobots with ONE shot. I admit the G1 cartoon had its moments.

_________________
Of course I am "Fresh Meat", I sell the stuff! $300,000 of it each week in profits. Our competitors? $10,000 per week. OWW, MY BACK!!


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next

All times are UTC-04:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

EctoGreen © 2008, 2014 Fritz Baugh

Imageset from ClassyDark by ayasha : ASDesignz Themes : Black-Fusion.com © 2007
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited