It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:09 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: May 19th, 2013, 2:19 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Cancer
I posted this at GB Fans originally but thought I'd see what the folks here think....

Well, there are three episodes that seem to straddle the earlier and later seasons: Transylvanian Homesick Blues, The Grundel and Slimer, Is That You?

In the case of The Grundel, it could be that it was written earlier (possibly with the ABC Season 1 episodes), held over and then animated and recorded with the new voice actors. It was written by JMS, has Janine with her original personality, and is notably darker in tone than the other third season episodes. But I'm not so sure....

With Slimer, Is That You?, I guess there was an error, which lead to it being swapped in the schedules with....

....Transylvanian Homesick Blues, which has the original Janine character design, but with Kath Soucie voicing her. The rest of the episode is ambiguous-it has the rougher animation style of the syndicated episodes, but with Dave Coulier as Peter, and Slimer's new design and characterisation. The plot doesn't really fit in with the other third season episodes, though (I suspect that, under ABC's new vision for the show, vampires would have been out). The episode was in fact originally broadcast in syndication, but is listed as part of season 3 on most sites.

Then I remembered a post on the old GB.net site, in which someone remembered watching a version of Baby Spookums which had Lorenzo Music as Peter (there was another post recalling how Loathe Thy Neighbour had Music too, but I'm going to chalk this up to an error of memory).

Is this evidence that season 3 might already have started production when ABC decided to retool the show, and that JMS' decision to quit came a lot later than expected? Any ideas?

PostPosted: May 19th, 2013, 11:18 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
How can I put this... You clearly don't own the Box set do you? http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/The_Real_Ghostbusters_DVD_Box_Set

The first thing to explain... They switched the "Transylvanian Homesick Blues" and "Slimer, Is That You? " as you can tell by production qualities. "Slimer, Is that You?" was a J. Michael Straczynski written episode. After Straczynski quit over the design changes at ABC's series run of it, DIC went ahead and switched the episodes to give the Saturday morning run one more dose of "J. Michael Straczynski". During the season the ratings began falling for the ABC run so they asked for Straczynski to return. He could not or was unwilling to, but he agreed to write one episode for ABC year 2 "The Grundel". The conditions of the writing was they could not change it to make it kid friendly. So it isn't following the bible for that season.

But, I strongly suggest watching the box set interviews with Straczynski. Someone has uploaded some of them on youtube. Watch through them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX3l80bs7Pc