It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:32 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: January 10th, 2024, 12:53 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
From GBFans:

AJ Quick wrote:
The entire series of "Extreme Ghostbusters" is gearing up for its DVD debut on March 19, 2024, aligning with the release of Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. Fans can secure their copies now by pre-ordering the DVD set on Amazon for $20.95.

Airing initially in 1997, "Extreme Ghostbusters" follows a fresh team of paranormal investigators led by the original Ghostbusters member, Egon Spengler. Their mission? Safeguarding New York City from otherworldly threats.

For the first time, fans can own the complete series in one DVD set, providing a convenient way to dive into the supernatural escapades. This release coincides with the ongoing expansion of the Ghostbusters universe, offering both new and returning fans a chance to delve into the realm of the paranormal.

To reserve your copy ahead of the official release, the DVD set is open for pre-orders on Amazon at a cost of $20.95.

https://amzn.to/41S0nRO

As is pointed out in the thread, the Amazon listing is now showing as "Currently Unavailable" instead of being available for preorder. It's probably because the link leaked early so it's modified until officially released.

At least that's what we all hope.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2024, 8:51 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Fritz wrote:
As is pointed out in the thread, the Amazon listing is now showing as "Currently Unavailable" instead of being available for preorder. It's probably because the link leaked early so it's modified until officially released.

At least that's what we all hope.

Indeed, I hope that doesn't bode anything sinister, and equally I don't believe that it does (though, be assured, I am old and jaded enough not to throw my whole heart into waiting for this). Fritz, thank you for the being bearer of good news! :D I was sure that if it ever happened, it would be a region 1 release, with is not an issue for me (my location will possibly cause some slight inconvenience of another kind but, well, ladies and gentlemen never discuss money :roll:).

I have Googled this periodically since the franchise was rebooted, so of course it suddenly comes along in an off-period. I'd stopped really thinking it might happen anyway, and I was sick of finding nothing but an ugly UK release claiming to be the first thirteen episodes. Why do I phrase it like that? Well, because I read somewhere that they're not even all full episodes but the versions cut for CITV, which makes me question whether 'The True Face of a Monster' is one of the thirteen... but, y'know, that's only like questioning whether a car has its steering wheel when you already know it has no engine. :P Actually, the current artwork shown for the official release is reminiscent of that one... don't know if it's final... something a bit prettier would be nice, but it's what inside that counts, and anyway front covers are hidden most of the time.

I'll shut up now. ;)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: January 11th, 2024, 6:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
The artwork appears to at least be based on some Fil Barlow art. This is on the GBWiki:

https://ghostbusters.fandom.com/wiki/Ex ... eme_GB.jpg

And a shot in the EGB intro basically reprises it, the main difference being a lack of Egon:

Go to around 1:54

...Though the slime and generic buildings background could have been something more inspired, yeah.

Glad to have brought good news for a change.
:lol:
:kylie: :torgo: :roland: :garrett: :jacko:

PostPosted: March 1st, 2024, 4:40 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

It's been weeks, which can be barely said about the time before March 19th. But it finally really is available to pre-order (still with a highly questionable run-time listed).

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2024, 6:03 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

...and now there's been a massive price rise. Pretty much double, in fact. :? I'm glad I pre-ordered when I did, because tax and shipping to the UK brings it to about five dollars under the new price.

There is a fuller image of the cover at blu-ray.com, which I find very reassuring. Here you can see that the cover confirms it actually is the complete series, and that spine will look nice on my shelf (especially compared to the bootleg release). :D

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2024, 5:02 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

This is what I've just posted on the big forum:

Quote:
A full two weeks after release, and after a period of it being unavailable, my item has finally shipped. I would hope this means other international pre-orders are now being fulfilled.

I didn't pay any attention to the Amazon reviews before the question of quality came up here, but now I see that there are comments about poor quality over there. 'Disappointing but all we got' just about sums up a lot of things these days, really. :-| Opinions of the precise level of poorness vary somewhat, perhaps depending at least partly on the quality of the viewer's TV. It's a half-baked release which has had the minimum effort put into it, just to make a few extra bucks alongside the movie release (comparatively few, anyway - it's massively overpriced for what it is). The blurb (re-used, like the artwork) is written for people who want any old thing that seems to belong in their Ghostbusters collection, mentioning Egon twice, Slimer once, and 'an all-new [nameless] Ghostbusters team' only in the last couple of lines when they hope to have won over the potential buyer (to put the most sceptical spin possible on it :wink:). I don't really like that, but it's not worth getting upset over. All you ever really see of the case anyway is the spine, which blu-ray.com shows me is nice enough.

Meanwhile, my opinion of Amazon customer services has changed somewhat. I still think they're dedicated people who try to help as much as they possibly can. The trouble is that they don't know the answers to anything complicated, which is not their fault - they should have access to the right information and don't - so they might well end up looking for solutions to a problem they don't fully understand. I was reminded, on my last outing there, of a time years ago when I got into a situation of being passed on to more and more agents for something that only needed passing on to some kind of IT department and/or superior decision-maker. Having forgotten all about that, I used the service this time in the hope of getting, and sharing, the kind of answers I'd have liked to see here myself. Ah well, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. :roll:

In the end, I'll be happy to have any full series DVD. It'll look much nicer on my shelf than the bootleg edition, and some episodes might even look a little nicer on my not-super-modern TV. :-P

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 15th, 2024, 4:34 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Gemini
I always found it strange that EGB didn't have an official DVD release of the whole series anywhere in the world - surely there would have been a market for it, made up of some people wanting the actual show on DVD and others wanting to complete their Ghostbusters DVD collection, with some overlap I'm sure. I suppose it's not surprising that this eventual release is an attempt to cash in on a new movie, but I think the huge pre-order numbers on Amazon show how EGB never actually needed this as a selling point.

There has been some very strong reaction to the lack of effort evident in how the release was put together, and certainly it hasn't received the time and care it deserved, but I still think it's a pretty cool thing. The easy-to-find artwork does its job well and the colours are attractive, although the fact that the blurb doesn't mention any of the four Extreme Ghostbusters by name is rather a disgrace in my opinion.

It shows the market they think they're aiming for - people who'll buy anything with "Ghostbusters" and "Egon Spengler" written on it. However, I bet most people who've bought it have done so because they want to see some or all of Eduardo Rivera, Kylie Griffin, Garrett Miller and Roland Jackson, as well as Egon, Janine and Slimer in variously extensive supporting roles as appropriate to the episode. I think any EGB blurb should mention all seven of these characters.

As for the picture quality of the episodes, clearly they've just been shoved on the DVDs as they come but I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I hadn't read all the complaints. Perhaps it varies quite a lot depending on the equipment the DVDs are being viewed on, and certainly it's another symptom of not much effort having been put in that they haven't been tidied up at all, but I think it's simply the age of the material that's to blame rather than any suspect sourcing. Having said all that, the colours are remarkably sharp and the sound is perfect - overall I think the viewing experience is very good.

PostPosted: April 16th, 2024, 8:01 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

The price has been fluctuating around the $40 mark for some time. Today's price? $60.35! :shock: I mean, why? Are Sony hoping to report bad sales figures for some corporationy agenda of their own?

KevinsMensPyjamas wrote:
As for the picture quality of the episodes, clearly they've just been shoved on the DVDs as they come but I wouldn't have thought anything of it if I hadn't read all the complaints. Perhaps it varies quite a lot depending on the equipment the DVDs are being viewed on, and certainly it's another symptom of not much effort having been put in that they haven't been tidied up at all, but I think it's simply the age of the material that's to blame rather than any suspect sourcing. Having said all that, the colours are remarkably sharp and the sound is perfect - overall I think the viewing experience is very good.

I must say, the neither-cheap-nor-expensive mini DVD player in our living room loves it. With such sharp colours, KevinsMensPyjamas is even noticing directorial choices he never did from sporadic viewings over the last 20-25 years (I'm like, 'Oh, yeah, I noticed that ages ago,' but I have watched it more than sporadically :D).

When the DVDs arrived, I obsessively checked all of them in my bedroom to make sure there had been no mistakes (there hadn't), and I remember thinking 'The Unseen' looked consistently fuzzy. We watched that one in the living room yesterday, and there was nothing wrong with the picture whatsoever. I'm now curious to put it back in that other DVD player and see if it really is that variable... :?

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3