It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:58 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Now comics RGB #28
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 8:01 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Okay, I just re-read this, and I really want to pick it apart line by line, anyone with me? I would like to start with Egon asking Janine out and how he was asking so politely. I thought that was funny, and also the fact that they finished each other's sentences through the whole story. I also want to discuss how come Arron as a class three had te ability to transport them through time, and how he knew that they were stronger together than they were apart, and how Egon was drawing pentagrams on the floor, how cool was that, I didn't think that he did that sort of thing. And then when he was telling Janine, to paraphrase, oh don't panic I know things that would probably be best if you didn't know I knew, but I can get us out of this mess. Does Egon know some sort of banishment spells or something. Anyway, if you have this issue, and want to discuss, or you want to know everything about it, post here.

Longest sentence ever, sorry, I'm tired.
ghostdiva

Post subject: Re: Now comics RGB #28
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 5:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
ghostdiva wrote:
Okay, I just re-read this, and I really want to pick it apart line by line, anyone with me? I would like to start with Egon asking Janine out and how he was asking so politely. I thought that was funny, and also the fact that they finished each other's sentences through the whole story.

A little quirk I've used a time or two.

Quote:
I also want to discuss how come Arron as a class three had te ability to transport them through time,

Class 4. Since they knew who he used to be, at least according to the GBI system.

Quote:
and how he knew that they were stronger together than they were apart,

A great line, and a great statement. I really think James Van Hise (and JMS in episodes appearing at about the same time) were sticking their middle fingers at a certain creator who's name rhymes with "Amos".

Quote:
and how Egon was drawing pentagrams on the floor, how cool was that, I didn't think that he did that sort of thing. And then when he was telling Janine, to paraphrase, oh don't panic I know things that would probably be best if you didn't know I knew, but I can get us out of this mess. Does Egon know some sort of banishment spells or something.

It does kind of make sense that Egon would have some knowledge of some rudimentarly rituals. Egon will never be a full, spell-slinging wizard (he wasn't identified and trained as a wizard the way Vincent Belmont or Liz Hawthorne were; and he chose not to embrace his darker nature and the power that Sarim-Lar offered the way Nodus did) but I've hinted a time or two that he could have been (In "Where In the World Is Chelsea Aberdeen?" Vincent's character hints that the potential to become a true wizard, "The Gift", runs in the Spengler family. Certainly, Egon has a couple of magic-using ancestors.)

Ray, in my mind, being more oriented toward occult scholarship, probably knows more. Whether Ray has "The Gift" or not is unknown, but even without it there are certain kinds of "hedge magic" (a term I love from Ars Magica) he knows, such as a protective technique he tried to use in "Chronicles of Gozer"--but the Herald was too powerful and shredded it. (Ray's son Eric definitely has "The Gift", though, and as we've seen will recieve full training as a wizard)

Er...anyway, this is starting to turn into a discussion of something completely different...

Quote:
Anyway, if you have this issue, and want to discuss, or you want to know everything about it, post here.

Longest sentence ever, sorry, I'm tired.
ghostdiva

Lol...
:ej4ever:

PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 12:06 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz I completely agree with what you said, but I feel like we've only scratched the surface.

Let's focus on one thing at a time. I want to discuss Egon's imaginary friend a moment. Now, I know that this is going to bring up a lot of family issues in his life. And it also makes you wonder how the boogeyman played into it. Did the boogeyman cause him to develop the concept of an imaginary friend to help him feel like there was someone on his side about it. Was it simply the academic stress that was implied in the story, he just needed another voice to help him cope. Was it a combination of everything? What kind of personalities tend to develop imaginary friends, any know? I wonder what that says about him as a person. It is obvious at the very least that even from a young age Egon has been sensitive to the need for companionship, its a link to his being a 'real person' and not the scientific robot his parents wanted and the unfeeling Spock that everyone percieves him to be.

And that's another thing. I know that you have had trouble working out Egon's childhood situation as far as where was his father and how much influence he had. But it seems to me that we got stuck blaming his mother for a lot of stuff, but when you see her in her appearances on the show, she didn't really give off that personality. She seems to dote on him and care about his feelings and wellbeing as a person. It is a complete contradiction. What I think is that she must have changed after Egon's father died, or after some other event, and was somewhat distant to him when he was growing up.

Okay I am drifting.

Many more topics I want to discuss too...
ghostdiva

PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 1:46 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
I would like to think that his parents didn't do it just becous there wonted a robot more then a son but that they ( his did ) was just doing what that thought was best .

ghostdiva wrote:

It is obvious at the very least that even from a young age Egon has been sensitive to the need for companionship, its a link to his being a 'real person' and not the scientific robot his parents wanted and the unfeeling Spock that everyone percieves him to be.

this is something that I have bin meaning to bring up . to me it seems that you all percieves him as this computer like stiff that never jokes or hardly ever .

If you look as a lot of the RGB episodes there are many time were her is acting like just one of the guy's and average person . He make jokes shows ager and and threatens Peter .

Egon " Peter do you know how to set your pack to over lode ? "

Peter " no "

Egon " well I do "

Peter " never mined "

It is RGB were he seems to be his most open and happy show's the prats of his personality of were he's just one of the guy's . it always seems to be when he is with the guy's. there is a sine of real male bonding and I think he rather enjoyed the experience.

now in EGB he takes on that more Spock like persona . but I think that is also mostly bc of all there years of Maurice LeMarche doing the brain .

now I thing my point of his RGB personality is proven when in back in the saddle . he revers back to that personality when as soon as Ray , Peter and Winston come back and especially than they go out they're first bust .

I now that he had Janine and I think that that did help him a lot over time but I don't think he ever bonded the same way with the EGB's as he did with the RGB's.

I guess what I'm ranting is that I would like you see Egon having his moments of being one of the guy's :egon:

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 8:49 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Great insights all around here.

Remember that Egon was born in 1957. That was pretty much right in the middle of the mythic 1950's, when it was still expected for Men to make all the decisions and Women to do nothing but bake cookies and raise the kids. It's not very enlightened by today's standards to suggest Edison said "We will raise him to be a supercomputer" and Katharine went along with it, but it's entirely plausible considering the times. That didn't stop her from doting on her son and giving him a silly nickname, but I could see some of that being done behind Edison's back. Once Edison's gone, she comes out more into the open; I had her dealing with some guilt in "Forever", wishing she'd stood up to her husband a little more openly.

Egon's pretty clearly a lonely guy before 1973. Then fate conspires against...or would that be for...him and he starts to form real friendships with some people that would seem, at first glance, to be unlikely. A fast-talking slacker who's good with the ladies. A fellow paranormal enthusiast who's open and amiable where Egon's been brutally self-contained. By providing an example of being, well, human, and not giving up on him no matter how hard he made it to drag him out of his emotional shell, he was more open to friendship years later from a sensible, hardworking former soldier--and to the emotional bombshells a certain redhead from Brooklyn dropped into his life.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2008, 7:18 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
I just won this issue on Ebay! Yay! (dances a little jig) :D
I so can't wait to read it! (acts like silly school girl)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 12:45 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Awesome! Let us know how you liked it and feel free to get back on here and let us know if it changed you perspective of the couple or anything, and to discuss the topic, of course.
ghostdiva

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 9:21 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Location: Townsville, Australia. (No, not where the Powerpuff Girls live!)
I just recieved it today!
I read it as soon as I could of course.
I just loved it!
Oh the poster! (drooling like a lovesick idiot). :D
It really doesn't change my perception of them in any way. It only confirms my belief that they were always meant to be. They seemed so at ease with each other in the story and I could feel the connection they have with each other & their attraction was palpable! James Van hise really outdid himself with them in that one.
Stronger together than when they're apart indeed!
The artwork was sweet too!

I was a bit confused by one thing though. How come Alec called Janine his Aunt when Michele is Janine's cousin, not her sister?
I would've thought that he'd be Janine's second cousin.

And Oh Slimer's reactions to Peter's test! That had me roaring out loud! If only he'd stop thinking about the actual food for a moment & figure out that "both of them" means two, then he'd get the answer right & be able to eat the pizzas. My Mum thought it was funny too!

Viva Janine & Egon! :ej4ever:

PostPosted: February 27th, 2008, 1:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
I was a bit confused by one thing though. How come Alec called Janine his Aunt when Michele is Janine's cousin, not her sister?
I would've thought that he'd be Janine's second cousin.

Technically, yes. Perhaps he uses the title "Aunt" because it sounds more respectful than "cousin".

PostPosted: March 5th, 2008, 11:17 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Okay, so my mind has decided on a great spin-off on this comic. Egon and Janine randomly time traveling to right wrongs that lead to future ectoplasmic type disasters. Sort of a couples Quantum Leap if you will. I can just see them trying to pass themselves off as Lord and Lady Spengler in Victorian England, trying to distroy an evil talisman before it gets in the hands of some evil dictator.

Ahhhh, the possibilities.

I will have nice dreams tonight, I just know it, lol.
ghostdiva

PostPosted: March 6th, 2008, 9:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Oh the things you just made me remember...

I had occassion on GBN to mention recently that, for about ten years starting in high school, I did these awful little comics based on Doctor Who. I started with the "future" adventures of the Eighth Doctor (as this was while Colin Baker was still the Doctor, he wasn't a thing like Paul McGann) and every once in a while when I got bored I regenerated him.

Anyway, the last Doctor I used, the Twelfth, was a tall, lanky man with a weird blond pompadour, and dressed in purple and blue with a dash or two of pink. If it sounds familiar it was: I swiped the look from Egon Spengler.

(Truth to tell, elements of the clothing I have Egon wearing here and here were based on the Twelfth Doctor's wardrobe)

And because in those days I had no concept of "impulse control" one of his companions just happened to be a Time Lady (Romana's cousin) who happened to be a fiery five-one redhead.

Like I said, I was young and they were awful. :roll:

PostPosted: March 6th, 2008, 7:17 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Once again confirming that our brains are frighteningly similar!

But you had Dr. Who and I had Quantum Leap, Dr Sam Beckett ruled, I watched that show when I was like 5 and loved every minute of it, I just wanted the poor guy to get home to his wife, but then he never did, sad really.