All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Something from TokyoPop?
PostPosted: May 10th, 2008, 10:51 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... =37&t=5662

RavenEffect wrote:
I was searching on Amazon for any Ghostbusters related books a while back when I came across this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Vari ... 461&sr=1-3

Does anybody have any idea what this is? It is supposedly a new book that is due out in October of this year. The page doesn't really have any information yet, though. It is listed as being by "various authors." Maybe it has something to do with the comics from a few years back, because it seems to be in a comic book category, but it doesn't really give any information. Seems it is being published by some company called TokyoPop, which appears to be a Manga company.

Does anybody have any idea what this is?

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 10:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

http://protoncharging.com/gb/2008/06/01 ... ers-manga/

My excitement level drops...

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 9:07 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
I know, I said some choice words myself. I don't know what to think, I feel like I'm being attacked at this point.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 3:53 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I dunno, maybe I missed a detail when I was reading, but if this is after GB2, but BEFORE the game, as in, the 5th guy, new equipment, and Gozer won't be in it, then I'm wondering what the problem is. Isn't there room for canonical stories in that period?

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 9:57 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Certainly. And believe me, I'll give it a look when it comes out. But now knowing it's probably tied to the game raises some questions. It takes it from "Must Buy" to "I'll give it a look hoping it'll be good enough to buy". If it's a good stand-alone story, I'm more likely to get it. If it's a lousy prequel showing Gary Stu getting hired, I'm more likely to leave it behind.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 11:11 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

All indication so far is that The Rookie has no identity and is an avatar the player can customize, so I really don't see how anyone could ever write a story about him.

It might even behoove us to consider his existence non-canon, since he's an element of gameplay but not plot.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 3:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

:lol:

You should know by now I tend to find the worst possible outcome and expect that. It's part of my own defense mechanism: if I'm convinced going in something is going to be crap, it's difficult to be disappointed with the final result.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 3:56 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I find it much less stressful to look at everything they do and then go "Well at least it's not Hellbent."

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2008, 8:35 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
well I may look at it in the same way as the guys on the transformers DVD , " the Japanese stuff doesn't count "

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: June 4th, 2008, 1:14 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Capricorn
I'm cautiously optimistic about this. But first, I'd wanna see if the artist has consistency with drawing the iconic equipment. If whoever is drawing this can't even make the proton pack look the same from panel to panel, I give up on this.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2008, 5:35 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Gemini
I'm really thinking this is going to be like the Star Trek manga/Warcraft manga in terms of art style/story direction. The Star Trek stuff was good, so maybe.... Just maybe. Please God, if Dan helped write it...send him help.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2008, 1:12 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Location: New York, New York. Manhattan Island (SoHo district)
Zodiac: Scorpio
ghostdiva wrote:
I know, I said some choice words myself. I don't know what to think, I feel like I'm being attacked at this point.

Yes, THAT's it. All of those bastards at TokyoPop are just wringing their damn hands and staying up all night just thinking of ways to take down the likes of you and that cursed timeline.

Seriously, when you feel like they're actually attacking you is the point you need to step back and get over yourself.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2008, 4:35 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

DrVincentBelmont wrote:
ghostdiva wrote:

Yes, THAT's it. All of those bastards at TokyoPop are just wringing their damn hands and staying up all night just thinking of ways to take down the likes of you and that cursed timeline.

Seriously, when you feel like they're actually attacking you is the point you need to step back and get over yourself.

"that cursed timeline"

Thanks.

PostPosted: June 13th, 2008, 5:10 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Aww c'mon, dude. He was obviously being facetious. He probably should've put quotations around it, but still, it's a little obvious that Vince is not the one calling it "that cursed timeline" in this imaginary scenario he's describing.

I think I have to agree that you've gotten a bit too sensitive about this whole "they're making products set between GB2 and EGB, how will we ever make them fit?" thing.

Are you or aren't you the man who reconciled RGB with the nature of Stay Puft, the existence of Dana Barrett, and the restraining order/out of business 5 years between films?

Dan and Harold's stuff has ALWAYS conflicted with the universe where Egon is blonde, and this fan fiction community - you in particular - have ALWAYS made it work.

Legion made Louis rich and freakin' famous, and invented Wireless Traps immediately after GB1...and for god's sake, what did you do? You fit it in the timeline.

And I admit, the game is a lot of work to throw at us, but now you're stressing over a goddamn manga? After you DIDN'T stress over The Return? Y'know, that book where Winston becomes the damn mayor of New York at the end?

Remember how you were able to leave that book pretty much out of the timeline and nobody cared? You really think there's a big chunk of Ghostbusters fans who will take time out from building screen-accurate Ecto Goggles and trimming their beards so they look exactly like Kevin Smith to read a Tokyopop book?

PostPosted: June 13th, 2008, 6:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Jeff, you make a lot of sense there.

I'm as concerned as anyone about how touchy this is all making me--why do you think I've been wrestling with "fan fic suicide" for the last six months?

This community has been like Time Square on New Year's Eve--and I feel like the only guy there who isn't drunk and enjoying himself. Believe me, the main question I've been asking is not "What's wrong with everyone else?" but instead "What's wrong with me?"

The Tokyopop book itself...yeah, this is probably not something to worry about. I admitted my interest lessened once I found out it was apparently a video game prequel...I didn't say "Screw this I will never buy it." If it's good I'll borrow some stuff from it. If it sucks it "never happened".