It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:21 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: June 14th, 2008, 12:52 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Location: New York, New York. Manhattan Island (SoHo district)
Zodiac: Scorpio
Wow. Fritz, man...Jeff couldn't have said it all better.

I'll tell this to you straight right now...

I swear by "that cursed timeline."

I rewrote Mito-conundrum for "that cursed timeline."

I'm one of the first to defend "that cursed timeline."

I contributed to the building of "that cursed timeline"...we all did.

I'm taking on the GBVG project with Ben out of RESPECT for "that cursed timeline."

Fritz....buddy. I love ya, man. I really do. I even worry about you OUTSIDE of "ghostbusters." You've been a friend since....like...almost a decade. I'm the LAST person to harbor any real malicious feelings for you. I have my concerns, yes...but I really do care for my friends, and you've ALWAYS been counted among those few people.

I'm taking on the GBVG project with the timeline in mind. I'm trying to figure everything out so that everything's palatable for YOU. I do this all because I value YOUR opinion and "that cursed timeline."

Fritz, I ask that you leave the GBVG stuff to me, Ben, Jeff, and Mick. We're all PRO-TIMELINE, we all have great respect for you, we all are clever guys (I AM the king of crossovers, and making them work, after all), and all are talented. Trust us, man. We may surprise you.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2008, 9:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Now who's overreacting? :lol:

I hate to sound like a broken record, but no "final" decision on anything should be made, either way, until it's actually out and we have it in our posession. That applies to the video game and the Tokyopop book the same way it applied to "Legion" and "The Return". "Legion", as you'll recall, we pretty much installed with only a couple of "It 'really' happened this way in 'our' universe" tweaks. (Ie time frame anachronisms, the portrayal of Slimer--stuff that didn't really affect the whole story much)

I dunno...there's a lot more I wanted to say about some of this specifically, but it was in an email that Yahoo just ate. I'll try again later today.

PostPosted: June 14th, 2008, 9:08 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hm...the interest bar may be swinging just a little bit in the other direction...

Per Proton Charging: an intriguing picture on Deviantart...

http://the-bluephoenix.deviantart.com/art/GB-86835147

Aside from my visceral "That's Harold Ramis, not Egon" reaction :lol: that's pretty cool. I already thint that's a better Janine that that dumpy one they had Steve Kurth draw. And damn if it doesn't hit the right button featuring those two right next to each other...

As castewar points out in the article, it may not be the artist. But it's a promising sign.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2008, 10:03 am 
Administrator
Administrator

More art from a Tokyopop-connected artist, which may or may not be related to the upcoming book:

http://protoncharging.com/gb/2008/06/17 ... yopop-art/

http://chrissydelk.deviantart.com/art/G ... s-87834305

Intriguing. It's not the RGB likenesses, of course, but at the same time they're not, to paraphrase Too Zuul For School's GBN Articles, trying so hard to make them look like the movie actors they lose the essence of the characters.

The closest I come to a "complaint" is the fact that they look more like fourteen year olds playing Ghostbusters, but then again, in most manga being twenty one qualifies you for a senior citizen discount.

I may have to post my experiement with coloring that picture...

PostPosted: June 28th, 2008, 8:42 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

From Fome on GBCentral

http://forums.ghostbusters.net/viewtopic.php?t=12816

fome wrote:
anybody excited about this?

http://www.tokyopop.com/shop/2656/Ghostbusters/1.html

Ghostbusters Volume 1
Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS, of course! Find out what happens between the Ghostbusters films and the video games as Peter, Ray, gon, Winston and the Ghostbusters team make their first manga appearance! The phrase "Everyone's a critic" takes on a whole new meaning when the crew is called in to help out a troubled Broadway production. Later, Ray learns that being a Ghostbuster isn't always the thrill-a-minute job he'd imagined it would be. And Egon has a touching interlude with a former instructor who still has a thing or two to learn about the afterlife. Then it all comes down to the ultimate showdown between our heroes and a team of peeved poltergeists. The Ghostbusters are about to be Ghost Busted!

That art is stamped "Art Not Final" but the cover looks good (Ray and Egon have red and blond hair! That's a nice nod to RGB in the preview even if the final art doesn't reflect it) and the stories sound like they could be interesting.

"Delk" is presumbly Chrissy Delk, who's Ghostbusters picture at Deviantart was linked to previously in the thread.

I think right at this moment, I'm a lot more interested in seeing this than the video game.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2008, 11:40 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Capricorn
I'm getting more interested by the moment. :ugeek:

PostPosted: June 29th, 2008, 10:25 am 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Virgo
Good: this could be fun, and at least from that art, the guys don't look twelve years old.

Bad: This is the era of Rule 34 and Fandom Wank, especially where anything anime/manga-inspired is concerned.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2008, 1:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, Ghostbusters has had that happen before. RGB was over and done with before the Internet really took off, but EGB was in 1997 and made at least a little bit of a splash.

But yeah, if the Video Game does as well as expected, I figure FFN's Ghostbusters section is going to be an (even more) unreadable mess of Mary Sues and buttsechs by this time next year.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2008, 9:14 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

A friend and I once wondered aloud what the GB fandom would have been like if the Internet were around at the time... and quickly concluded that the inevitable Egon/Peter vs. Egon/Janine shipwars were well worth missing. We won't even talk about Rule 34.

But, yeah, anyway. Will definitely be picking up a copy of this manga, for gits and shiggles if nothing else.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 6:18 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Is this book supposed to be cannon? Because if it is then I am very excited that Janine seems to be dressing normal again and back to making a play for Egon, as the world should be, it says in the beginning that it takes place after GBII so all seems good right now. I think it is very funny, if not a little bit like the marvel short stories. I like it so far, I have more to read...much better than the IDW believe it or not.

PostPosted: October 17th, 2008, 9:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

It didn't come in at my shop this week, so I don't have it yet. There's a local comic show in town Sunday, and I'll keep my eye open there.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2008, 1:59 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Well i just got in and I'm trying to reed it but it look like it can fit rather nice in ot the time line .

Fritz I think you will fined it ok

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: October 18th, 2008, 8:20 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

I'm not a fan of anime, so I try not to hold that against the book. Overall, it felt very much like RGB, but with more adult themes. It also horribly failed in the storytelling department and leaned a bit in the RGBUK direction. Spoilers follow.

The first and last stories have absolutely nothing to do with the subplot of Hardemeyer returning and forming a ghost army with stolen GB equipment plans (which is never revealed just HOW he got). Hell, Hardemeyer turned out to not even BE the mastermind, rather it was a random ghost from one of the stories! Also, Winston drives around with semi-automatic weapons in his trunk? In NYC? Post-911? Uh, yeah, that's an incident waiting to happen...PLUS he expected them to work on the ghosts? Or their equipment which they obviously, uh, didn't?

The first story was very disjointed and lost its purpose quickly. It went in one direction, then did a complete 180 into a new one. The last story was very UK. The villain was just ridiculous.

Overall, there were some good stories and funny moments, but this is something that's probably more enjoyed by manga fans.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2008, 2:57 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I read a preview online, (here it is: http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... ml#photo=1) and I thought the dialogue seemed much deeper and more in-character than The Other Side did.

Venkman's sarcasm is actually funny as opposed to just spitting off generic one-liners, Ray has his usual excitement and boyish charm, but he's clearly an educated adult, not a man-child, and Egon...well Egon's impossible to get wrong to begin with, but here, he gives one or two lines that remind me very much of the way Ramis plays him in the films, which I've never seen another writer quite capture.

"On a purely scientific level, it was an interesting experience. As an audience member, I feel frightened and violated. Your play may be the single greatest threat to human life in this city."

"The easiest course of action, Mr. Jones, would be a chemical inspectral-cide. The building will be uninhabitable for a hundred and two years, but after that, it'll be totally free of ghosts."

That whole matter-of-fact way he can describe things that are just absolutely terrible, like when he told Venkman what he thought of the firehouse, or described why crossing the streams is bad, or "they think they're here for marriage counselling" at the start of GB2...you never see that anymore.

I don't normally read manga, but I gotta get my hands on this. Especially considering I was far from happy with the first issue of the alternative.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2008, 9:06 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters: Ghost Busted

Technically released the same day as IDW's Ghostbusters: The Other Side #1, TokyoPop's graphic novel didn't turn up in my area until a little later. Well, here it is.

I was interested in seeing what would come of this; TokyoPop got it's start (and still does the vast majority of it's business) as a translater of Japanese manga. They released an English version of the Sailor Moon manga back when they were know as Mixx, and back around 2003 or so even released Digimon manga adapting the first three seasons.

Anyway...

The book is a little bigger than the standard manga size, but that's no problem.

The cover: I admit, I liked the "not final art" version that leaked out, featuring Egon with blond hair and Ray with red hair. Ray still very much looks like the animated version. On the other hand...Venkman looks awful. He could be just about anybody.

The book is divided into three stories.

"Theatre of Pain" is the first story, and it features some nice, surreal moments worthy of the Ghostbusters name. Egon trying to dance. A stage play that includes an F-14 Tomcat. And Venkman chewing the scenery during his stint as "The Di-Rector!!!" The art's a bit loose and messy, but that fits the screwball atmosphere. There's some nice mocking of both Blintzy Jones' very Micheal Bay-esque approach to storytelling ("More explosions!") and the more artsy-fartsy pretentions of the ghost of Francis Frum.

The second part is divided into chapters by different artists, and features the return of Jack Hardemeyer, the mayoral aide from GB2. As is typical, Hardemeyer looks only vaguely like Kurt Fuller, and at times I see perhaps a bit of the RGB version of Hardemeyer from the Now Comics GB2 adaptation.

The enemy pulls the classic "divide and conquer"--Ray is snagged while on a series of wild goose chases and "false alarms". Egon is nabbed just after (apparently) resolving the situation of his old physics professor, Harold Teplitz. And Venkman is nabbed by a ghost posing as a coed wearing nothing but a towel.

Winston gets to save the day here, using some mundane weapondry to fight ghosts who have developed their own version of the proton packs, these designed to hold and trap humans. This is kind of ironic--the title of the book, Ghost Busted, is the same as an RGB episode: "Ghost Busted" featured the brief career of the Crimebusters, who used proton packs designed to trap and hold humans. I wonder if that was a coincidence?

Anyway, it turns out Hardemeyer has an accomplice, but I won't spoil every surprise.

Artistically, the best stuff in this section is Micheal Shelfer, who draws an awesome Janine. Janine, by the way, hits on Egon, and there's no mention of Louis Tully at all in this book.

The last chapter is unrelated to the rest of the book, save for one cameo of Hardemeyer in a soup line at the end. The main story is about a Sumerian fashion nightmare who looks like a glam boot before becoming, as Venkman phrases it in the story, a "fussy tranny". I admit I thought the line about "concubine of Gozer" was a bit gratuitous, though, a bit of "connecting it to something from the movies just to do it even though it adds absolutely nothing".

Like the first story, there's a wonderful screwball sense to the proceedings (it's by the same writer) and some satire of the fashion industry, leading to a surreal climax involving all four Ghostbusters in drag. The art is, in my opinion, the best in the book--Chrissy Delk does the best versions of the characters by not trying as hard as the others to make them resemble the actors. They're not the RGB versions either, but I see their spirits in them; her Janine is also excellant.

I admit, I enjoyed this a lot more than I enjoyed the first issue of The Other Side