It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:22 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 9:16 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
That's apparently the name of a new comic to be published by IDW, a far more reputable publisher than 88MPH.

http://protoncharging.com/gb/2008/07/23 ... ther-side/

PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 11:41 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Wow that's great. At least they will put the comic out on time unlike 88MPH.

We never would've lost if you koopaling clowns had tried to wake me up! Whose idea was this midnight attack?!- King Koopa, True Colors

PostPosted: July 24th, 2008, 9:15 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Man...won't they ever let me retire from the Comicguide?! Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in!

PostPosted: July 25th, 2008, 12:40 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Scorpio
sweet baby jesus, they didn't save my bacon..... they stole it!

just when i had a title, too.
PHUKET, THAILAND.

:x

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 3:06 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

My shop's order got screwed up, so I won't be getting it till next week. I got the GN, though.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 4:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

ECTO-1 wrote:
My shop's order got screwed up, so I won't be getting it till next week. I got the GN, though.

Mine was the opposite, funny enough. I snagged the last copy of Other Side #1 on the shelf, but they didn't even have the graphic novel.

There's a local comic show this weekend; I'll keep an eye out there.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2008, 9:42 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Guess who's new computer got here today! I can't get my wireless card to work, but I'm glad I kept my 100ft ethernet cord from college, lol. (yes, I have running the length of my apartment)

I was told that no one got the manga today because of the holiday monday, I guess some people did, he said that it would be here tomorrow though.

I got the comic. How come no one is talking about it? I thought it was too short, too predictable, and the characterization was just a little off. I really don't much like the art either, but we will see how it turns out. I didn't really think that I would like this one anyway though so I may have set myself up for it.

And no mention of Janine. I honestly figured that this comic wouldn't even have her in it from the description. For a four parter, it is probably better that way honestly.

And I know that I will be bashed for this, but legion was really a better comic, I know that most people hate it for all of the ordering trouble and the none delivery issue, but the story art and quality were really better in my opinion. Of course I understand that that doesn't amount to a hill of beans when you can't get the product out, I'm just saying.

I am eager to see this manga though, i've never read one before, and it is 100 pages, so it should have plenty of story, and we can assume Janine is in it based off the sketch of her found on devient art.

Any other thoughts?

PostPosted: October 18th, 2008, 8:21 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

It was a decent first issue. As I said in CGC, it's hard not to compare it to Legion, whose art and coloring I think are a bit superior to this one, but the art was still good. The writing was a little sketchy in places, especially considering Ray's shock over possession considering he himself was possessed in an event MENTIONED in the book. Also, I had a problem with the end of the issue. I thought it was a bit TOO dark for GB. It just didn't feel right. But, hey, they got 3 more issues to work out the kinks!

PostPosted: October 20th, 2008, 9:17 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Ghostbusters: The Other Side #1

Well, the good news, it's a new Ghostbusters story, by a company that has a track record for actually putting stuff out. Compare that to the previous licensee, 88MPH Studios, who took an entire year to release the four issues of Ghostbusters: Legion and never did deliver the hardcover compilation that fans ordered and paid for three years ago.

(Oh, heck, rather than repeat some bitter rants here, I will direct you to a post on the Ectozone Message Board)

The art is solid, and the colors are vibrant. But I gotta admit, the dual problems of "likeness rights" and "most fans want them to look like the movie actors" lead to some weird results. The cover, for example (which is not by the interior artist) feature characters that could, to some extent, be just about anybody. Heck, ironically, on the cover Winston looks like no one more than Arsenio Hall.

The interior art delivers a bit more characterization. Venkman looks pretty decent, with a nice unruliness to his hair that helps distinguish him (of course, he spends most of the issue posessed). Winston didn't do much for me. Ray was pretty good, suitably goofball. Egon? I gotta admit, I really don't like the spiked haircut. It just doesn't fit him. It looks like something Janine drug him out to do under protest to try and "make him more hip" or something.

Of course, I'm the person who thinks current Ghostbuster licensees are missing the boat by not dumping the "make them look like the movie actors, but not enough to force us to pay them" bullshit game and just use the far more dynamic character designs from the cartoons, so take what I say on the matter with a grain of salt, I guess.

Story wise, I found myself in a very "1989 after GB2" state of mind, maybe because not one but two RGB episodes ("Partners In Slime" and "The Ghostbusters Live From Al Capone's Tomb") and two issues of the Now RGB comic (Vol.1#4, #7) from 1989 involved ghost gangsters.

None of the familiar supporting and secondary characters appear here, or are even mentioned: no Janine. No Slimer. No Louis or Dana. It's just the four Ghostbusters and a bunch of ghost gangsters.

I admit there's a few holes in the continuity, even knowing that (sigh) they're not paying attention to anything from the cartoons. We know Venkman has been kicked out of his body, but there's no reason for Ray and Egon to realize that until after they knock out the posessing entity and Venkman doesn't wake up--over the course of the two movies, Dana, Louis, and even, briefly, Ray himself were posessed, and their spirits didn't depart for the "dark void of dispair".

A few good zingers, though. I laughed out loud when the entity posessing Venkman claimed he was "screamin' like a little girl" and Venkman's ghost retorts "That's a total lie! Everybody knows I sound like a big girl when I scream"

Points for a shocker of an ending, though: Venkman's posessed and his spirit's in Purgatory. And Ray, Winston, and Egon have been shot with more holes than John McCain's economic plan.

Final assessment: Frankly, I didn't get nearly as much of an "Oh, Yeah!" zing out of this one as I did with Legion #1. I think the writers and artists of the earlier project had a much greater sense of familiarity with the property and characters at the outset. But I think The Other Side is still not a bad start, and plan to stick around and see where it goes.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 8:23 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Does anyone know the day that these come out? Is it always on a Wednesday, or just on the 15th?

PostPosted: November 5th, 2008, 9:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

New comics are always released on a Wednesday, barring the occasional delay until Thursday or Friday due to a holiday.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2008, 10:57 pm 
Extreme Ghostbuster
Extreme Ghostbuster

Zodiac: Cancer
It wasn't a bad issue, but it didn't scream out, either. At least Winston wasn't treated as an add on. You never know, issue two might knock it out of the park.

PostPosted: November 8th, 2008, 9:42 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Issue #2 is on Graham Crackers list for release on November 12th.

I think this will be the first time since 1992 an American Ghostbuster comic has been released one month after the previous issue. :lol:

PostPosted: November 8th, 2008, 2:47 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Pisces
Would my local CS have these? If so, gotta track 'em down. rebuild my GB comic collection after a box of GB stuff turned up MIA after my last move. Yes, I'm still pissed...

PostPosted: November 8th, 2008, 3:27 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Scorpio
Miss Janine wrote:
If so, gotta track 'em down. rebuild my GB comic collection after a box of GB stuff turned up MIA after my last move. Yes, I'm still pissed...

Movers must have been fans.