It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:03 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: March 19th, 2010, 9:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
In preparation for some April 5th updates, I've been trying to add a lot of stuff from the IDW comics to the New Timeline, and I've been debating the best way to handle some stuff.

At present, "The Other Side" and "Ghost Busted" are set in 1991, prior to GBVG. The problem is with "Past, Present, and Future" and "Tainted Love", which clearly take place on Christmas Eve and Valentines Day.

Do I continue to place everything in rough order of release? I lean toward that approach, but if I do that (or even without it) I run into the big question: do I set the Holiday themed specials before or after GBVG?

I think I again, at this moment, lean slightly to moving "The Other Side", "Ghost Busted", and "Displaced Aggression" back to 1990. "Past Present and Future" would take place on December 24th 1990, and "Tainted Love" then would be February 14th, 1991, still leaving some time for other miniseries and "Con-Volution" to happen in 1991 before GBVG.

The other approach would be to establish "Past, Present, and Future" and "Tained Love" as taking place after GBVG--Dec. 24, 1991, and Feb. 14, 1992. Anything else would take place after GBVG in 1992; there's not necessarily anything to contradict or confirm too much of that, other than none of the new hardware from the game showing up (which really isn't a problem for me...)

I still got a couple of weeks to chew on this, but I thought I'd open it up for some discussion if anybody felt like it.
:)

PostPosted: March 19th, 2010, 8:21 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Well, I'm sure this won't be what you want to hear, but I vote we don't include ANY of these into the timeline... I suddenly feel like I've said this before... weird.

I know these are 'licensed' and Okay'd by the Sony people, but I really don't feel they are ghostbustery (yeah I said that) enough to be in the timeline. They don't have the same feel as anything up there, none of this stuff conveys a 'bustin' makes me feel good' appreciation like the things on the timeline.

I like my old theory for th game to be ressurected. Just say that they have a comic line started about them by IDW in the present time frame. Or don't mention it at all, either would seem better to me.

Sorry if that's harsh,but I gotta say it!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2010, 9:20 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, remember that I was talking about the "New Timeline", which doesn't involve the "Classic Timeline" at all, and only affects the GBI/Fan Fic Timeline if we allow it to. At this moment, nothing other than some elements of the video game itself are acknowledged by the GBI Timeline. (And even then only vaguely)

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2010, 8:04 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Well I wasnt much of a fan of The Other Side, Ghost Busted looks retarded as all hell (then again, most Manga is...), I havent read Displaced Aggression, Past, Present and Future was a very well done story, as was Tainted Love, so... as far as IDW goes, they've got a pretty good record going. (Ghost Busted wasnt IDW).

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2010, 8:48 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Well, yeah, it wasn't.

As good as "Past Present and Future" was (and I agree it was pretty good), the main problem for GBOTFF is "X-Mas Marks the Spot". It's some of the same themes and plot ideas; do we want to have two such similar stories both in continuity?

I still lean toward no...JMS's story is a certified classic of the franchise, and it was here first. "P,P,F" is excellant, but one more dip in the same Dickens pool might be too much.

Or at least that's how I see it right now.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2010, 8:27 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Well if these spirits do indeed exist in the GB universe, is it so hard to believe that they would plague more than one man who is greedy and hates Christmas for no good reason? The thing that would make it hung up in my mind is, if the GB's DID encounter the same kinda situation, there would have to be some kind of referrence to: "Why does this all seem so familiar?" then again, its been quite some time since that incident, and with all the crazy shit they've been through, perhaps it sorta blends together after awhile?

idk, Either way, the JMS story doesnt have to get removed or altered in any way.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2010, 11:05 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Scorpio
This blast from my past (Brownies) summarizes my opinion best: "Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver & the other gold." :roll: