All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: IDW Ghostbusters #4
PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 9:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #4:

Things I Liked About Ghostbusters #4:

I gotta admit, I was a little skeptical about bringing Walter Peck into things here. I saw it as one more way IDW going to overuse stuff from the first movie. But they've convinced me--he's great as not so much a villain, but as a foil: kind of serving as the Ghostbusters' asshole boss role, one we've never really seen before in GB lore. (Yeah, I guess it probably continues his role from the Video Game, but I've never played that. I'm not a gamer). It's especially funny watching Venkman deal with it; since his previous comedic foil, Slimer, is stuck in a fishtank, we gotta see him get comedically frustrated somehow. He can't mouth off to Peck too much, and certainly can't blast him and put him in a ghost trap. Even better, on the other hand, Janine gets to treat Peck with same respect she gives her "real" boss, Venkman, which is not much at all. No wonder Egon loves that gal so much.

The injokes are sparse this issue, but this is one of my favorites yet: Peck's office is adorned with newspapers telling of his days with "BUFO", which is assumed to be the Bureau of Unidentified Flying Organisms, a reference to the agency Peck worked for in his one (sadly lackluster) animated appearance, "Big Trouble With Little Slimer". All that was missing was one of the fast dial buttons on his phone to read "Callahan" (Peck's laconic henchman in that episode).

Idulnas, for a character grounded in a mythos that has been waaaaay overused lately, at least represents some new twists, creepily writing himself into existance.

Venkman: "Is it me, or is [Egon] getting a little snippy?"

The fact that Janine is off getting Rogered on her days off is really getting to him. That's my story and I'm sticking to it no matter what Erik Burnham or anyone else says.

Things I Didn't Like So Much About Ghostbusters #4:

For all the success IDW has with the Idulnas story, please, for grife's sake, stay the sprock away from the Gozerian mythos for a while. One of the things GB2, for all of its flaws, did right is have an enemy that didn't have a blessed thing to do with Gozer (Assinine Video Game retcon attempt ignored). It was a directive from J. Micheal Stracynski to the writers of The Real Ghostbusters to "forget about Gozer. He's history". But in recent years, suddenly everything has to somehow go back to Gozer: their enemies are Gozer's father, or his concubine, or his insane worshippers. With all the mythology that the property can, and has, drawn upon even before making stuff up (Gozer, after all, does not appear in any real summations of Sumerian mythology) the constant dipping into this till feels uncreative and overdone. Quit now before IDW ends up like the Marvel UK comics and suddenly Gozer has a lumberjack relative named Horg. (Yeah, I wish I was kidding about that...) I realize Idulnas's return is practically inevitable, but hold off on it for a while, please.

I will also register a note of dissent to the prevailing opinion of "Whoa! You're gonna put in the Rookies from both version of the Video Game! Cool!" I won't say it's a bad idea; I'm going to wait and see what happens, but on the whole, stories that start with "Ray, Egon, Peter, Winston, and some character you've never heard of before get out of the ECTO-1" is the start of very many of the worst fan fictions.

Now, I will say I'll give IDW some rope on this one. I liked Extreme Ghostbusters, after all, and want to see if IDW can take these three ciphers and actually make them worth the affection they (especially "The Rookie") get despite not having any discernable personalities or even a word of dialog. But one word of warning: I enjoyed EGB because it really was about the new characters; the old guard guest starred to various extents, but it was the new guy's show. (The fact that RGB had been off the air for six years helped too). Throwing in a bunch of new faces into a currently running project when you already feature a perfect mix of four main characters and two strong supporting characters poses its own dangers. If I read the next issue and my new nicknames for the Rookies are "Jason", "Catharine", and "Donald", you'll know exactly what that means.

But IDW hasn't let me down in awhile, so I'm hopeful.

See you next month.

Post subject: Re: IDW Ghostbusters #4
PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 9:55 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Aries
The IDW Ghostbusters #4 was okay for me, but I liked the first three a lot better. I just hope that they continue with the series for a while. My only problem is that I have trouble finding the issues. But hey that's what the internet is for.

:)

Sometimes in my job I feel just like Janine, over worked and under paid!