It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:12 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: IDW Ghostbusters #10
PostPosted: June 21st, 2012, 9:24 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
(Spun out of the Ghostbusters #9 Thread)

kaotic86 wrote:
I seriously look forward to your reviews as much as picking up the latest issue! That's why I'm DYING over here to read what you have to say for issue #10....items in case are linked below, but may be spoilerish. You're choice to peek or not, I'm just over-enthused really! May just be bread crumbs, but damn we be hungry!

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/kaotic_sanity86/GBO10a.jpg

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad197/kaotic_sanity86/GBO10b.jpg

That is quite intriguing. 8-) I should have GB#10 no later than Saturday, and hopefully a commentary up early next week.

Post subject: Re: IDW Ghostbusters #9
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2012, 12:49 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
is it out already ?

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 10:16 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Scorpio
Gris-gris supposedly bring good luck or ward off evil, or act as birth control. :oops:

Post subject: IDW Ghostbusters #10
PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 2:03 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #10:

Sorry about the delay. I would have had this up a day earlier, but just as I was done writing the snarky commentary, we had a power outage and thus, all work was lost because I didn't save it. I will now be saving this commentary every time I finish a paragraph :lol:

< save >

The next leg of the Ghostbusters "Haunted America" tour brings our heroes to New Orleans, home of Mardi Gras. Since this is June, Venkman misses it again. And it's too bad--the same blonde chick who was in "Play Them Ragtime Boos" appears in the shot of Mardi Gras. Ghostbusters wiki says her name was "Marie Cuttie", but her fake Cajun accent was so thick in the episode itself I had no idea what she said; I guess I'll take mrmichaelt and devilmanozzy's word on this one. The good news is, looks like Malachi was there too, which would have made the trip a lot less fun.

< save >

Anyway, the ECTO-9 arrives in Nawleans to a crowd of screaming, happy fans. No, wait, that isn't what happens at all. The ECTO-9 arrives to an angry mob who's ready to riot. After getting a tomato thrown at him, Venkman drags out a slime blower and hoses down the mob with a dose of pure, concentrated Jackie Wilson. At that point, the crowd probably wouldn't notice if they got run over (as Venkman says in the story itself).

< save >

Their destination is a mansion in the Garden District, where they meet their client, Mister Thibodeaux. As Mister Thibodeaux looks like Billy Dee Williams, and "Thibodeaux" is about as much fun to type as "Schenectady", he will henceforth be referred to as "Lando"

< save >

In one of Dan Schoening's great call-backs, the Ghostbusters are all decked out in their civvies from the cartoon. If you ever wanted to see what a Ramis caricature looked like in RGB Egon's pink shirt and suspenders, here's your chance--and it works pretty well.

< save >

Lando has brought them here on behalf of someone else: famous voodoo queen Marie Laveau. Who was a real person and everything. Look:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Laveau

I tell you, a Manitou, the Russian spirit of death trapped in a bag, and now Marie Laveau, it just proves my point that there's a lot of real world folklore to draw upon for stories. Far far more creative and interesting that The Ghostbusters Vs. Gozer Or A Member of His Family Part CXVII

< save >

So what's a two hundred year old plus undead voodoo queen need with the Ghostbusters? Well, turns out she had a daughter with the same name (also from Real Life) who fell to the Dark Side, forcing Mom to put Marie Junior down. But with St. John's Eve, Marie Junior gets an opportunity to come back and disrupt the tourist trade something fierce--Madame Laveau wants her daughter stopped, but not destroyed, which is where...say...a bunch of guys capable of catching ghosts and locking them up in a Containment Unit would come in handy, right?

< save >

Plus Lando is loaded, so money for the job is no object. You can practically see Venkman drooling at the thought. Lando's posh estate included a replica of the Moaning Stones of Tangalla. At least, I sure hope it's a replica--the Undying One would make, to borrow a phrase, an evil voodoo princess look like Little Mary Sunshine. Nah, has to be a replica--we all know Winston has one of the pieces stashed back in New York.

< save >

And to further a subplot that's been brewing, depending on how you look at it, since issue #1 or all the way back to the first movie, Lavaeu takes Egon aside and reminds him there's more to being alive than just breathing. Egon doesn't seem to get her point. "There's love, Son. It turns the whole world, and someday soon you gonna notice that." She then hands him a gris-gris with a heart on it, telling him he'll know what to do with it when the time is right.

< save >

Actually, in Egon's defense, the last two times somebody tried to use magic to improve his love life it...didn't turn out so well. Of course, there were genies and vanity spirits with their own agendas behind those. Plus I don't think he's as clueless as he's playing here--he doesn't go around inventing computer programs to write books designed to "stimulate" women who "read a lot" every day.

< save >

Anyway, fast forward to St. John's Eve, and sure enough, the voodoo hoodoo is on. First we get the dancing zombies, and Venkman is horrified--zombies are lousy dancers. One of them looks like Michael Jackson...maybe this story really does take place in the present. Nah--the zombie looks like Jackson back when he was a black man instead of a white woman. Even 1992 would be too late for that.

< save >

Ray then takes the opportunity to remind everyone of his second job, running an occult book store, as he uses an old trick from Jones' Manual on New Orleans Voodoo--salt the zombies, and they collapse. Tristan is moonlighting, I take it :lol: Efficient, I'll give it that. Just don't let the guys making all the zombie movies find out about this--if defeating zombies becomes so easy, they may have to actually come up with real plots or something.

< save >

Marie Junior makes her entrance and, of course, she's pissed at Ray for stopping Thriller Time. Marie Junior is kinda hot in an evil, undead kind of way. She grabs Ray; Egon and Winston then pull their own BS job (hey, Venkman and Ray can't have all the fun, right?)--Egon tears off a hunk of his hair, tries to tell Marie Junior that it's hers, and Winston invokes the name of his ancestor/prior incarnation Shima Buku. Marie Junior is only fooled for about three seconds, but it's long enough for Venkman to get into a position with a ghost trap, and thus New Orleans only has one undead Marie Laveau roaming around once more.

< save >

We get an epilog with the Ghostbusters back at Lando's place, apparently dressed for a trip to Samantha Stantz's dairy farm. Madame Laveau is able to bring peace to both herself and Marie Junior's trapped spirit--she's can talk to Junior in the ghost trap, she's just that good. As the Ghostbusters leave, Laveau reminds Egon about the Chekhov's Gun in his pocket, and thus begins the long road trip to Part Three.

< save >

Meanwhile/Later, we get part two of "Who Killed Laura Parr?" Between the RGB civvies in "Haunted America" and RGB Venkman in "Laura Parr", I'm feeling downright teased. Maybe next you'll let Dan do an entire issue or a one-shot story with the RGB likenesses of the characters. A guy can dream, can't he?

< save >

Anyway, Venkman leaves the diner and gloats as a radio report talks about increasing supernatural activity back in New York. He's thinking Peck might appreciate them a little more now. Unlike us, though, Venkman hasn't seen all the cut scenes with Ron "Jake Kong" Alexander, or read the solicitations for issue 13. "What do you mean we've been replaced? These guys couldn't even come up with their own name! 'Ghost-Busters'? Like that's supposed to make it totally different? Seriously?"

< save >

And low and behold, picks up a hitchhiker named Laura Parr. In the process Venkman mentions his Mom. In hindsight, I shouldn't have used Shiela Paulson's name "Margaret Abernathy" in the Timeline for Venkman's Mom. I should have named her "Cat Schroedinger" since they could never figure out if she was alive or dead. Er, where was I? Oh yeah, Laura Parr, who might also be said to not be totally alive or dead. Venkman warns her that playing with the Ghost Trap could make her go blind (Egon might dispute that). Things get more interesting when Laura picks up a PKE Meter...hm...

< save >

Something tells you you're not getting laid by this one, Peter. Unless Laura is one of those ghosts Ray dreams about.

See you next month.
:)

< save >

Post subject: Re: IDW Ghostbusters #10
PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 5:56 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Possible spoilery speculation in this 'ere post!

Fritz wrote:
Actually, in Egon's defense, the last two times somebody tried to use magic to improve his love life it...didn't turn out so well. Of course, there were genies and vanity spirits with their own agendas behind those.

I'm a bit wary about good luck charms making their way into the subplot. I'd rather the luck was created by the characters themselves rather than by a charm piece. If Egon pulls out the gris-gris, is about to use it and then thinks otherwise and throws it in the garbage along with Venkman's '101 Ways to Find and Keep a Girl' Handbook and then tries his own luck, I'd be hugely impressed.

Fritz wrote:
Plus I don't think he's as clueless as he's playing here--he doesn't go around inventing computer programs to write books designed to "stimulate" women who "read a lot" every day.

It makes me wonder why Egon needs any gris-gris at all. He's got this fantastic computer programme which obviously works, and anyone with eyes and a functioning brain can see that Janine is interested in him and has been for years. What's he need the good luck for? All he has to do is ask her out and let Janine sort out the Roger/EGB Egon situation. If that don't work, try the computer programme. If that doesn't work, stroll by her desk a few times wearing nothing but a towel. If that doesn't work, send her a bunch of flowers with a card declaring his undying love for her. She'll get the hint eventually. :lol: :D

[possible spoilery speculation]I wouldn't be surprised if the pouch is empty and Marie Laveau could see that all he needed was a bit of positive encouragement from a friend. [/spoilery speculation]

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: June 25th, 2012, 7:57 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Your spoiler idea is awesome. I agree--I want it to happen because Egon comes to his senses, because he realizes that Laveau's words are exactly right. And that the longer he delays now the deeper the Rogering gets. Not because of some magic trinket influencing the outcome.

But as I said before, I wonder if some of his plan is already in motion. Consider that two issues just prior to Ray spilling the beans about the computer program to Venkman included passing references to Janine being "aggressive" and Egon being "snippy". And we know that at least excerpts of the book have been printed in magazines--thus the fangirls Egon gets in #5.

I guess we just have to be patient and see.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 2:47 am 
Ectozone VIP
Ectozone VIP

I dunno, I don't recall anything being said about the gris-gris being a lucky charm... or even causing love. Nope.

She just told him to use it when he was ready to be alive.

Hmm... <inigo> I don' think that gris-gris means what you think it means! </inigo>

Better keep speculating, guys! q-:

And as for Roger... wait'll he meets the other Ghostbusters. (I saw speculation on his job in another thread... and ALMOST pulled a gag where he told Ray he was a scientist and could improve the proton packs, easily... before revealing his actual job. Not the way I went in the actual script. Roger is not a scientific adventurer!)

Hope you've all been enjoying the book so far!

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 3:06 am 
Ectozone VIP
Ectozone VIP

BlackMaria wrote:
Gris-gris supposedly bring good luck or ward off evil, or act as birth control. :oops:

NO EGON JUNIOR IN THIS BOOK!!

No, maybe Egon will need some luck. Or to ward off evil.

Or maybe it could be birth control after all.

:lol:

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 7:13 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Erik Burnham wrote:
Hmm... <inigo> I don' think that gris-gris means what you think it means! </inigo>

lol. I'm a white chick from South London. My knowledge of voodoo only extends as far as Wikipedia and Google! :D

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 2:56 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Erik Burnham wrote:
BlackMaria wrote:

No, maybe Egon will need some luck.

Wait, so it could be good luck he needs? But... er....

Yeah, now I'm totally confused.
:? :oops:

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 3:16 pm 
Ectozone VIP
Ectozone VIP

I'm being intentionally vague. I didn't have Marie spell out what the gris-gris was for.

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 4:30 pm 
Moononite
Moononite

Zodiac: Sagittarius
Which is awesome, I like being shown rather than told. :D

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 5:18 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Erik Burnham wrote:
I'm being intentionally vague. I didn't have Marie spell out what the gris-gris was for.

That's cool. Don't wanna give away anything. 

I just got confused. No big deal, tho. I'll just go with the flow. 8-) :D :lol:

PostPosted: June 26th, 2012, 5:32 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Sorry if there's any confusion--a bunch of posts from the GB#9 thread were becoming more about GB#10, so I moved them over here. It wasn't a completely smooth break, but I think it works better this way.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2012, 2:00 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Virgo
Well, I see I missed some important discussion here. Couldn't be helped though.

I was very confused about the gris-gris myself. My initial thought was Egon was gonna need it to make Roger fall in love with some other girl to get him to go away. Because, obviously, Egon wouldn't need a magic potion to get Janine. All he'd have to do is go up to her and tell her he wants to be with her and she would leave Roger in a heartbeat. Only problems I see are: One: Janine may feel guilty for dumping Roger because he would have feelings for Janine just like Janine has feelings for Egon. In that case, Egon could use it to get Roger to fall in love with another woman to run off with; leaving no guilt for Janine. And of course there is option 2. Where Roger is evil and ultimately has to be defeated by the GBs. He may have to use it to destroy Roger or to get Janine away from Roger in the event he uses her as a hostage.

Those are my guesses anyway.

I really liked the issue overall. It seemed short (which is always a compliment from me) and I keep waiting for a Stripes reference since Egon and Peter are on a RV that could blow up, but we still have more traveling to do.

Can't wait for the next issue!