It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:21 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: IDW Ghostbusters #14
PostPosted: November 15th, 2012, 1:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #14...Eew It Has Two Digits In It We'd Better Arrange To Restart With #1 Quick:

One of these days I'm gonna go back to not waiting two weeks after the book came out to get this done. But this isn't that day.

We start with the cover, which is a tribute to old Westerns. Since Venkman is a big Dewey LaMort fan, and he's the Ghostbuster depicted squaring off with Ron "And You're Not" Alexander, it's a neat touch.

The story proper starts with Ray dreaming a re-enactment of "Spies Like Us", a movie Dan Aykroyd did with, oh the irony, Chevy Chase. Then the beautiful girl he's holding turns into the likeness of a different Dan Aykroyd co-star, John Belushi--the ghost from GB#1 is back, and he's warning Ray that A) while Gozer is not coming back, there's still bad stuff coming down the pike and B) Ray really needs to find a girlfriend.

We switch to morning at GBCentral, with Venkman arriving (Actually, come to think of it, with Venkman's sleeping habits it's probably more like lunch time) and discovering that Ray and Winston have already gone on a job. Venkman and Janine trade some classic banter ("You're gonna have a stroke, and probably not when I'm around to see it." I could just hear Laura Summer in my head when I read that line) and then Venkman goes upstairs to give Egon his "Wake up call." Interesting choice of words...

Egon is experimenting on Slimer, basically blowing him up and timing how long it takes for him to reconstitute--I guess he's figured out what the Ghostsmashers' gear is doing (well, he IS Egon Spengler, you know) and is getting a really good idea on how much time--or how little--it's going to take for all the ghosts Ron and company have been blowing up to come back together and raise hell at Grossjuck Plaza. Venkman just likes the idea of Slimer getting blown up again and again.

Venkman has an active day in store for him, I guess, because next he goes and hassles Peck. We see how Peck's character has actually developed over the last couple years by him admitting that he thinks the Ghostsmashers are even worse than Venkman and the others; at least the Ghostbusters try to get along with the city. Peck would rather shut Alexander's outfit down, but he doesn't have the authority; and all the Ghostbusters have are suspicions about their equipment which, until they have more, could look like nothing more than sour grapes. I guess once the taxpayers end up footing the bill for the damage Ron's little bit of prime evil is gonna do it'll maybe possibly be enough to get the Ghostsmashers slapped with a restraining order.

Ah well, at least once this story's over we won't have to see Ron's smug face for a while. </ironic foreshadowing>

Then of course comes the best scene in the book. I'll just say it's spot on perfect. I just wish we could have seen Janine's post-argument musings the way we saw Egon's. "Adonai...if he even asked that...maybe he IS jealous?! Holy crap, what do I do now?!"

We catch up with Venkman again, sharing a hot dog with Ray. In a nice bit of pre-Burnham/Schoening continuity, it's mentioned that Winston is spending some time with Tiyah Clarke, the woman Winston met in "Tainted Love", strongly suggesting that Winston and Tiyah are an Official Item; thank goodness at least one of these guys can get some companionship without the massive confusion and drama and comedy (and creator brain aneurisms messing things up).

So, there's this ghost goat in the park, and the Ghostsmashers try to blow it...up. We have proof. It doesn't work. Jake: "I don't know what to say, Ladies. This has never happened before." Grife, Ron, it's bad enough saying that to one woman, never mind three at once...

Fortunately, as we just mentioned, Venkman and Ray were in the area, and manage to suck the goat...into a trap. We also have proof. Ray tries to ask Ron about his equipment but Ron gets pissed and shoves him down, provoking sympathetic looks to Ray from the blonde Ghostsmasher.

(You were expecting “Goatbusters” and “Goatsmashers” jokes instead of Wayne’s World references weren’t you? But Brian Doyle-Murray was in it, so it’s okay.)

And of course, since Jenny Moran just happens to look a lot like Dan Aykroyd's real-life wife, I suspect Ray might have a shot at fulfilling Ghost Belushi's edict if he really tried. That would be a neat thing to see--Ray has been the least successful of the Ghostbusters in the romance department. Venkman and Egon we all know. Winston's often had an offscreen girlfriend (and onscreen in RGB#23 and "Tainted Love") while all Ray's had is Elaine Fuhrman, who appeared exactly once in an early episode and was never heard from or referenced ever again. Dammit, we need to give the insane Ray fangirls someone to hate the way everyone else's insane fangirls hate Dana and Janine and Tiyah.

Final scene has the entire team back at GBCentral. Appropriately enough, there's a little tiny Robo-Buster toy on the table as Egon confirms "Yes. The city is screwed."

In what is sadly the near-last of Tristan Jones's PCOC files, we get some info on Ron Alexander, including the GBI rejection letter Janine sent him. Why do I once again get this wierd ironic chill?

See everybody in a couple or three weeks.
:)

Post subject: Re: IDW Ghostbusters #14
PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 4:20 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Fritz wrote:
Then of course comes the best scene in the book. I'll just say it's spot on perfect. I just wish we could have seen Janine's post-argument musings the way we saw Egon's. "Adonai...if he even asked that...maybe he IS jealous?! Holy crap, what do I do now?!"

Yeah. I got all happy when I saw that part to . I thought Fritz is going to love this,

Fritz wrote:
And of course, since Jenny Moran just happens to look a lot like Dan Aykroyd's real-life wife, I suspect Ray might have a shot at fulfilling Ghost Belushi's edict if he really tried. That would be a neat thing to see--Ray has been the least successful of the Ghostbusters in the romance department. Venkman and Egon we all know. Winston's often had an offscreen girlfriend (and onscreen in RGB#23 and "Tainted Love") while all Ray's had is Elaine Fuhrman, who appeared exactly once in an early episode and was never heard from or referenced ever again. Dammit, we need to give the insane Ray fangirls someone to hate the way everyone else's insane fangirls hate Dana and Janine and Tiyah.

Don't forget he hand that one night stand with the ghost in the film. LOL

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 9:29 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
jason knetge wrote:
Don't forget he hand that one night stand with the ghost in the film. LOL

As always, that's debatable. In the final cut, it was only a dream, so it could be argued that it doesn't count. :lol:

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 4:58 pm 
Fresh Meat
Fresh Meat

Zodiac: Aries
Fritz wrote:

This scene made this issue my favorite yet. I agree, it's so spot on. It made Egon acknowledge that he does feel something for Janine even though he's not yet ready to define it as love. It also made me assign Glenn Frey's song "The One You Love" as Janine's song in my head. I feel so sorry for her. It seems to me that she's really trying to make the effort to move on, and while Roger still annoys me a little, he does seem to care for her genuinely. And then, here comes Egon hinting that he's jealous of Roger. Oh, Janine, what are you going to do? Red deserves to be happy.