It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:00 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: IDW Ghostbusters #15
PostPosted: December 7th, 2012, 7:43 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #15

We go to Sandy Van Sanders of 20/40/60 and our supernatural disaster already in progress:

Giant monster is tearing up the streets of New York. I think for some reason I'll call it a "Grossjuck Critter", and not just because it's driving down the company's stock price.

We get a big plot twist on page 2: remember Eugene Visitor, the guy with death in his bag, from issue #8? Yeah, he's watching the ABS coverage and tells his Dad that maybe it's time he let it out.

We flash back to a few hours earlier, as both Venkman and Ron are getting their asses chewed out by Peck. More Ron, of course, since it's his dematerializers that made the Grossjuck Critter, but Peck doesn't miss an opportunity to smack down "Mister Venkman" too.

Ray, meanwhile, gets hit on by Jenny Moran, the Ghostsmasher who just happens to look like Dan Aykroyd's wife. Ray's really impressed when she mentions his occult book store. After that, Ray offers to take her for a whirl.

In his helicopter, as the ECTO-2 makes it's comic debut.

(Well, maybe. It wasn't in the Now Comics series, since James Van Hise loved his own flying creation, the ECTO-4, so much. It may have appeared in the Marvel UK series, but that mostly sucked and I don't care enough to check on it)

As Venkman and Winston set up an array of ghost traps (reminiscant of the way they caught Stay-Puft in "Cry Uncle"), Egon is in his buddy's helicopter (aforementioned buddy seen back in #4) with the other Ghostsmashers. Egon's normal state is logical and under control, which means that when he does snap it's epic. Him lunging for Peck's throat in the movie is the most famous example, but there's also the way he threw a snotty snit-fit in "Robo Buster"; here, he's ready to throttle Ron after one jerkass remark too many before his pilot friend calms things down. Give Egon a break, between the Ghostsmasher created Grossjuck Critter, the woman he loves getting Rogered, and that spirit of death that should be on the loose but isn't, Egon's had a lot to worry about lately.

The Grossjuck Critter is surrounding the Empire State Building (As Venkman said in "Adventures In Slime And Space": "Keeps the gorillas off"); Egon, the two Ghostsmasher women with him, and Jenny on the ECTO-2 open fire; Venkman and Winston spring the traps.

But it's not enough. Not even with that souped-up super trap that just happens to look like one of the EGB toys. The traps blow and the Grossjuck Critter escapes, except now it's like he's hopped up on Red Bull. Because it's turned into a giant, demonic red thing with bull horns.

As Egon might say with his usual gift for dry understatement, this is "Not good."

Then another giant ghost shows up. The Ghostbusters and Ghostsmashers are crapping their pants, until the second ghost takes down Red Bull and then just fades away.

The ghost of Eugene Visitor appears, and tells Egon the second ghost was the death spirit he had in his bag. The supernatural world will now be back in balance, though, yeah, time for Euguene to go to the Other Side. Which means that, with the Grossjuck Critter gone and the death spirit back to its appointed rounds, all Egon's got to worry about now is the Roger thing.

Hope he gets on that quick...I have this weird feeling that Egon'll be going away soon...

Post subject: Re: IDW Ghostbusters #15
PostPosted: December 8th, 2012, 6:15 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
Fritz wrote:
In his helicopter, as the ECTO-2 makes it's comic debut.

(Well, maybe. It wasn't in the Now Comics series, since James Van Hise loved his own flying creation, the ECTO-4, so much. It may have appeared in the Marvel UK series, but that mostly sucked and I don't care enough to check on it)

Well atleast once it appeared in Marvel UK's series, not that anyone will know. :lol:
http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/website_archives/nygbcomicguide2008-10-28/rgbuk/rgbuk_issue076.htm

I honestly have no faults with comic 15, and probably the best part was Egon giving Ron a piece of his mind. With this comic, it feels like we're starting to see where the next arc started from. Tho what happened to most of the Ghostsmasher girls after this remains to be seen.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2012, 9:45 am 
Administrator
Administrator

devilmanozzy wrote:
Well atleast once it appeared in Marvel UK's series, not that anyone will know. :lol:
http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/website_archives/nygbcomicguide2008-10-28/rgbuk/rgbuk_issue076.htm

Lol...I had that nagging feeling it had, and they'd drawn it exactly like the toy instead of the animation model (and it appears I was right), but like I said, I just didn't feel like digging for it.

Quote:
Tho what happened to most of the Ghostsmasher girls after this remains to be seen.

Obviously, I hope Jenny gets to stick around as a love interest for Ray, even if she ends up mostly "of camera" like Winston's.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2012, 1:54 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
I love Jenny. As a ray guy I must say i like her. I really wish that guy the best.

the only thing i have with this comic is the beginning seem to jump right into thing. I felt like I was missing something or some comic that explained things.

Also I like seeing Egon get mad. ^_^ like you said when he does you know he is really mad.

I'm also surprised you didn't bring up the part were they ask about trying to cross the streams. Then Egon saying it might not work B'c there is no portal aka door to swing the other way.

I feel that this is important B/c like pointed out in COG. you cant always fall back on that crossing the streams to save the day.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: December 12th, 2012, 3:36 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Fritz wrote:
Hope he gets on that quick...I have this weird feeling that Egon'll be going away soon...

I've got a feeling we'll be waiting for quite some time before that particular 'situation' gets resolved, unfortunately. :(

It seems Egon's still working on a flow chart, or venn diagram or something. Maybe one day soon he'll remember that he's got a magical mystical voodoo thing in his pocket which might be useful for the kind of situation he is in.

Meanwhile...
Spoiler for #16:
Congrats to Winston for getting engaged to his girlfriend. I only wish that Egon would do something similar. It took Winston 16 issues of the comic to get serious with his significant other, while Egon and Janine have only had... erm, two films, two cartoon runs and one video game over the space of 28 years... and they are still stuck playing the boring will they/won't they game. It feels a bit like Egon and Janine are sitting on the sidelines while Winston, Peter and Ray have already found a little bit of romance here and there. Sometimes I kind of hate that Egon and Janine seem to be some sort of pivotal couple, because there seems to be this great reluctance to actually do anything with them, and so instead they just allow them to simmer while everyone else's love lives either blossom or take off. It's just hugely frustrating. :cry:

Though Winston's relationship might provide good drama for the new upcoming arc, it might have been bigger drama had Egon suddenly declared his love for Janine before he disappears. Janine would then be left with a poor second best and a big what-if, and Egon would be left wondering whether he'd come back to a Roger-less Janine or not. But hey, I'm sure I'll be on the edge of my seat wondering whether Winston's girlfriend/fiancée will continue to tolerate him working as a Ghostbuster. :shrug:

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 10:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

nikki wrote:
I've got a feeling we'll be waiting for quite some time before that particular 'situation' gets resolved, unfortunately. :(

It seems Egon's still working on a flow chart, or venn diagram or something. Maybe one day soon he'll remember that he's got a magical mystical voodoo thing in his pocket which might be useful for the kind of situation he is in.

They do seem to be taking their time with this one, aren't they? I'm torn between enjoying the suspense and not wanting to rush it...and getting tired of all the "suspense" and "not rushing it" after twenty eight years of "suspense" and "not rushing it"

I'll save some comments on your spoilers until I have #16 and start a thread on it.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 3:50 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
By my estimation we'll be waiting for at least six more months for anything to really progress. The Mars Attacks issue is in Jan (I don't think the Real Ghostbusters issue follows any of the previous continuity), the New Ghostbusters arc starts in Feb, and from the info in the summary it appears that in the very first issue the Ghostbusters are whisked away somewhere leaving Janine alone at the Firehouse, so that rules out any E/J development for what I assume will be another four issues at least, which takes us to June next year. Hopefully by then Egon will have finished his comprehensive analysis of the situation and decided to do something productive about it, but we'll see.

So yeah... We'll be waiting a little while longer, I think... Might be heading into the 29th year, or even the 30th at this rate. Surely that's some sort of will they/won't they record, isn't it? :lol:

Sorry about the early #16 comments. As you can probably tell, I'm feeling pretty impatient at the moment. :mrgreen: :D

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.