It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:47 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2013, 8:02 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #2

Well, Peck sends his new overseer, and low and behold, it's Jack Hardemeyer. I guess it makes sense--they were just about the same guy, in that they were the dickless, jack-off government bureaucrat giving the Ghostbusters hell in their respective movies. Unsurprisingly, since the first order of business is dressing the female Ghostbusters up in the shortpants outfits seen on the covers of #1, Janine is already ready to throttle the guy.

I'm sure the fact that the costume company screwed up and gave her Venkman's colors and then gave Egon's to Ron Alexander--who got a REAL flight suit with long pants and everything--doesn't help her mood either.

Anyway, she snarls a lot and lets Boris Meely (apparently on loan from Random Choice)get the photo shoot over with; the pictures include the four covers of #1, the main cover of #2, and a couple other pictures--most notably the New Ghostbusters reenacting the Ghostbusters 2 promo image, with Kylie and Melanie taking Ray and Winston's respective places, while Janine and Ron go more for the personality fit instead of the color fit--meaning Janine as Egon, Ron as Venkman. Which always made more sense to me but yeah, I'll let that go now.

So, anyway, plot happens as a frantic jogger comes into GBCentral and tells them that he was attacked by a ghost muttering "You'll never find them!" Holy crap--this guy knows something about what happened to the Ghostbusters!

Hardemeyer earns his second strike when Janine discovers that the flight suits have been removed and stored; they'll have to go bust the ghost in the shorts.

The New Ghostbusters go to the park, and Ron is not making any friends. He's used to being the one in charge, and Janine is having none of that. "I was in the movies, you loser--I automatically rate much higher than you ever will!" And when the ghost they're looking for shows up with a would-be victim, Ron recklessly shoots at the ghost heedless of the aforementioned would-be victim, which earns him a much-deserved stream of Spanish abuse and a right cross from Melanie.

The only way it could have been any better was for Kylie to have said something like: "Spanish is such a great language for insults. You oughta hear my boyfriend when his brother Carlos makes him mad."

But with all of this comes some good news and bad news: Melanie recognizes the ghost from FBI case files. He's a serial killer; the good news is that they know what's up with the ghost, and use it to their advantage--Melanie claims they'd found all of the killer's victims, which pisses him off so bad he gets sloppy and trapped easily. The bad news is that he had nothing to do with the Ghostbusters' disappearance, so they're back to square one. For the moment.

Things get a little better when the New Ghostbusters get back to HQ and Janine orders Hardemeyer to take a look a their legs (He wasn't already? Is Hardemeyer gay? That could give his nickname "Hard-On" a whole new meaning...), which are all cut and bruised from chasing the ghost killer through the bushes and stuff in the park. Janine threatens to out him...as a sexist oaf unless he gets the flight suits back. Not wanting to be strangled, Jack relents and says the uniforms will be back the next morning.

Then Kylie takes a call from Dr. Cleese at Parkview (I wonder which one would do a better John Cleese impression? Frank Welker or Maurice LaMarche?) about Poha redecorating his padded room two issues/three months ago. All of a sudden, Kylie realizes, the New Ghostbusters may have a new lead!

Janine meets Tiyah Clarke, Winston's fiance, at a Pequods (undoubtedly across the street from another Pequods). I just love the subtext of this, when even Tiyah, the woman who wants to marry Winston, is giving up on the real Ghostbusters before Janine is.

And of course, Janine is right--as we see in cutscenes throughout the issue, the Ghostbusters have awakened on the Flip Side, and from their perspective it seems only a few hours have passed at most. Fortunately, Ray was abducted while wearing his proton pack--and he and Egon have launched a desperate plan that will either get them back home or destroy the know universe.

You know, business as usual for the Ghostbusters.

The backup story continues to roll along as Samhain introduces the newest inhabitant of the ECU to some of his other new neighbors, including Mr. Stay Puft and the Haunted Human toy line.

No Fearsome Flush? I demand Fearsome Flush.

Yeah, I know, Sony probably said no toilet humor. Sigh.

See everyone next month.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2013, 8:34 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Yep, I've turned into a total part-timer. Well, here I am to say what I think about Kylie being in these things. :P

As a general rule, I'm not very interested in comic books, so I don't have any strong opinions on this. But of course, it's nice to see that EGB has not been forgotten. I've caught up on what Kylie's been doing as much as I can - through your posts, Fritz, and maybe one or two other sources online. I'll be interested to see if the character goes anywhere from here, and whether they get into her back story and such.

At the same time, I suppose I'm a smidge disappointed - though I have no right to be, because I'm not a comic book sort of person. I'm a novel person and a TV person. I like watching the EGBs all together, on screen, and I can do that any time I want. I think that Roland was never going to make it into any comic books. I do consider him an integral part of the show, but to be brutally honest, it's best to leave him there. Garrett could have made the transition, I think, but I don't mind that he didn't. So who does that leave?

Fritz wrote:
The only way it could have been any better was for Kylie to have said something like: "Spanish is such a great language for insults. You oughta hear my boyfriend when his brother Carlos makes him mad."

Certainly I'd have liked to hear about that (and what else matters? :mrgreen: ). This is the disappointing thing for me - and not just because he happens to be my favourite, and stuff like that. I'm being objective here... to an extent, at least. Yes, Kylie's a good character. Obviously. But I've had long enough to look past the obvious, and - as possibly the biggest EGB fan (that's my screen name! :D ) on the planet, I am adamant that Eduardo is the best of the four characters. Now, I may have had a phase of saying I liked Kylie best, but that would have been a long time ago. She has depths, certainly, but they're not hidden. Eduardo's are, and personally, I'm a sucker for hidden depths. So are a lot of people, I should think.

Now, I don't wish to decry Kylie in any way. She absolutely deserves to be in the comic books, and I think that reintroducing her via Ray's Occult was a very good idea, since her introduction in EGB obviously wasn't going to fit (and since the show didn't go down too well with many existing GB fans, but let's not dwell on that). What I'd really like to see (okay, read about online) is both her and Eduardo being in the comics - and let me stress that I'm not even thinking about the romance here. They both should be there because they're the strongest characters from the show, together and separately. I suppose it would be hard to introduce Eduardo, whereas Kylie already had an interest in the paranormal, so her being there makes sense. But anyway, I think it's a shame that whoever decides these things apparently didn't see what I see in Eduardo.

Having said all that, I still insist that my feelings are not strong ones. I mean, I don't even read the comics. :roll: It's interesting, though, because in recent years fans of Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers have been going loopy with delight over the return in the comics of a couple of popular one-shot characters from the show - and actually, I'm pretty happy about one of them myself - but I guess that's not interesting to anybody but me. Still, what a time for reintroductions.

That's all. And it was more than enough, I know. ;) And it may be a bit too general for this thread, so... sorry, if so.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 29th, 2013, 10:02 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Believe me, I'd love for Eduardo to show up. I made that half-suggestion disguised as a joke for just that reason--probably the only way they would do it is by playing off a connection to a character already in the series, and of course that makes Kylie the best candidate because of their relationship in the show.

It would also add a nice sense of...I dunno, I hate to say "destiny", but wow, Kylie and Eduardo seem to meet no matter which universe they're in, right? Even funnier if he's introduced as already being an item with Kylie, providing a counterpoint to their combative relationship in the show, and the glacially evolving Egon/Janine/FauxEgon drama in the current series.

And of course provide another nice nugget for the EGB fans. I see it as a win-win.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2013, 4:28 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Spoiler for upcoming events, thanks to mrmichaelt:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=44270

Erik Burnham wrote:
As I type this, I just turned in the wrap up for the first arc, the New Ghostbusters -- currently writing the next arc which'll feature Egon trying to keep a ghost from abducting Janine's soul, and Kylie hunting a ghost ship with Peter and Ray, amongst other things.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 8:01 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I've just been on a quest for information about Kylie's appearances in the comics (seeing as it's a Saturday morning - oops - lunchtime in the middle of the holidays), and I think this is the most interesting thing I found. It's from an interview with Erik Burnham (which I daresay everybody's already read):

Quote:
I was just going to create a character from scratch. It would’ve been a she, and it would likely have been more or less the same personality as Kylie has… but I didn’t get that far before Jones said “it needs to be Kylie!” I’ve never seen an episode of EGB, so I was only familiar with her on the most basic level…

That doesn't sound good! In the past, fans being unable to look beyond Kylie's most basic level has resulted in some very poor characterisation, but of course Burnham's a professional and working with a different universe, so... y'know. From what I've seen of the comics, there's been no damage done from him never having seen EGB, but I wish he'd watch a few episodes (maybe, I dunno... 'The Unseen' and 'Be Careful What You Wish For'?), because it just might help him. I suppose, really, there's something a bit off about Kylie being handled by someone who's never watched her show. But Burnham seems like a lovely guy, and he seems to be doing pretty well, so perhaps we can blame Jones for that.

Mostly, my quest turned up people fretting and speculating and hoping and praying over Janine's relationship with this Roger person while I, once again, stand almost alone* waving my little flag for EGB. Such is my fate in life. Hunting a ghost ship with Peter and Ray, says Burnham? Well, ghost ships are cool, I guess. I wish he'd watch an EGB episode first, though.

*Hi, Fritz. Thanks for popping over from the E/J camp to visit me. :mrgreen:

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 10:33 am 
Administrator
Administrator

I guess I'd missed that interview somehow...

I think that even if Mr. Burnham himself didn't see EGB, it's obvious that some of those around him--Tristan Jones, who's no longer with the book, granted, and most likely Dan Schoening--have, so I think things are in good hands. And that's not to mention all the fans (like, cough, this bozo) who'll let'm know if they get Kylie wrong.

Though I agree--he should watch EGB, definitely.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2013, 5:00 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

The interview is here, for anyone who wants to read it: LINK

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 7th, 2013, 10:34 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
The interview is here, for anyone who wants to read it: LINK

Oh, wow, I feel even dumber.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=534

I had read that interview, but somehow the Kylie bit dropped completely out of my addled brain.

:oops:

PostPosted: April 10th, 2013, 8:51 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

And further on the subject of IDW Kylie:

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=13671

Erik Burnham wrote:
I just wanted a manager for Ray's Occult; someone who could help with research. I even had a (rough) personality in mind. Abrasive with occasional sweetness (sort of the opposite of Ray in that regard) and smart.

Jones demanded Kylie, so what the heck.

She appeared a few more times, and then the New Ghostbusters. All this time, I've been writing her in the mold that I wanted when the manager was a "new" character.

Some of Kylie's fans have argued that it doesn't work, some love it. Others think it's too far out of sync with EGB continuity.

(On that last point, the comic is only movie continuity is sacrosanct, anything else is peppered into the movie universe. It's been said before, but I want to reiterate since we've snuck stuff from the cartoon in! Adding Kylie to the Movie Universe is probably more like Marvel bringing a popular Ultimate character to the main universe.)

All that said, I'll try to watch some EGB before I write the Ghost Ship stuff, but it may not change the voice I've used... I like this version of Kylie!

PostPosted: April 11th, 2013, 5:44 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

I can't really be objective without seeing exactly what Burnham was responding to, so I might as well come out and say that his comments sound like a load of old b******* (that's a British swear, btw) from where I'm standing, over here with my own personal opinions, which are as follows.

There's absolutely no point in caring about previous continuities when it comes to stuff like this, so if that whole thing about movie continuity was only in response to people complaining it doesn't fit with the cartoon, I guess that's fair enough. For people who feel that way, there's not very much to be done about it, I'm afraid.

All that is irrelevant to whether or not Burnham watches EGB, and so is everything else, really. The reason he should do so is that he's working with one of the characters - however she came into it, and whatever he was thinking of before - so it's in everyone's interest that he does the research, and without preconceptions. If he doesn't want to use any of the source material at all, let him decide that in an informed context. If he does take anything from it, of course it won't "change" the voice he's using, but who's asking him to do that? Some are saying "it feels slightly off", Burnham tells us. Well, a little influence from the show might just make it feel a little more "on" without any real changes taking place. Or maybe not - we can be open-minded about it on both sides, I'd hope. One mrmichaelt mentioned, in that thread, Kylie's "grr" when she's annoyed. There's something one can only get from seeing Tara Strong's Kylie, and if Burnham were to use it, it's three letters difference to what he might otherwise have written.

From this, it sounds like there's no hope for Eduardo - I daresay that would be a "change" too far. Burnham seems reluctant to take much notice of the cartoon anyway, and that's if he even bothers to watch it.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: April 12th, 2013, 10:35 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, I agree, and I admit I was a little surprised to see the admission that he'd never seen EGB--it just seems strange to have an EGB character when the writer hadn't seen any of the show.

I dunno...I haven't had any problem with Kylie's portrayal thus far, but until the current story arc she'd basically been a guest star making occasional cameos. I do agree, if she's going to be promoted to the book's overall B-list (since the original Ghostbusters are going to come back) a bit of grounding in the character's previous history would make sense. IDW's under no obligation to use all of it, granted, but it seems silly to introduce a character and then proceed to not pay any attention to her previous iteration. They might as well have gone with the original character idea instead.

Maybe I should send send Mr. Burnham the Fact List I started compiling and never finished...or suggest he reads Kylie's Ghostbusters Wiki page. At the very least, keeping the "Trivia" section in mind for a few occasional nods or in-jokes.

And heck, I still think Mr. Burnham should sit down and watch some EGB. Maybe he really would decide to bring in Eduardo as Kylie's boyfriend after watching them interact in the show.

A guy can hope, anyway...

PostPosted: April 17th, 2013, 1:23 am 
Ectozone VIP
Ectozone VIP

Because I got a question as to why Kylie (and the events of her life) aren't **exactly** as was in the cartoon (more than one) I just decided to collect all of the answers I'd been emailed, DMd, or what have you into a central location.

(:

Why don't I watch EGB? It's on YouTube!

Guys, I know. And I try. I live in the woods and my connection can be spotty (it's weird. Netflix will come in on my PS3, but not my computer. YouTube doesn't come through my PS3, and on my computer it can and does crash.) These things make it tricky to watch a show with no other legal release. (: Tried with the pilot. I lag out when Garrett wheels down to first meet Kylie. That's how far I got, that's why YouTube is frustrating, that's why I haven't watched more of the show.

Bottom line, Our Kylie is based on EGB Kylie. It isn't the same character... but I will try to watch an ep or two at a coffee shop with great wifi this week.

Top 3 Kylie eps? And Fritz, do feel free to send me any high points if you think it'd help.

Also, I'll sneak a Grr into #5 (shouldn't be hard, she's working with Peter.)

One more thing to bear in mind, guys, if you would -- just for me, and I'd appreciate it! The final say in things doesn't belong to me, and sometimes new rules crop up behind the scenes that affect things I'd otherwise do (like the inability to use Dana or Louis.)

If you ever think I've botched something terribly, or missed something obvious, feel free to drop me a line and I'll answer if I can (I can't always.) Sometimes it's an error on my part, and sometimes it just comes down to "they said no and I had to rework." (Just happened recently on something in an upcoming arc, and in this case, no, I can't tell you what.)

It's a balancing act with licensed properties, to please the license owner, publisher, myself, fans, and the average reader -- and I do thank you for your continued indulgence.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2013, 11:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Lol...this is the third time you've registered here...Please, if you have problems logging in, forgetting your password, whatever, PM me at GBFans or the IDW board and I can fix it.

Thanks for dropping by again.

You've been doing a spectacular job, and if that isn't clear enough though the clouds of sarcasm and fanboy nitpicking, I apologize.

PostPosted: April 17th, 2013, 11:20 am 
Ectozone VIP
Ectozone VIP

I know, and yet, for some reason, when I went to retrieve my password, I got *nothin'!* It was too late for me to do anything but shrug and reregister. Heh.

I bristle at the grousing because sometimes I want to address the whys and can't! (: This is not the fault of the fans.

And I'm still working on "yeses" for a few ideas. (:

Meanwhile, all of you, I'd expect spoilage on NGB3 today. I put something in there that should hit Tumblr anytime now. (;

PostPosted: April 17th, 2013, 1:38 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

eburnham wrote:
I know, and yet, for some reason, when I went to retrieve my password, I got *nothin'!* It was too late for me to do anything but shrug and reregister. Heh.

I don't know if there was some problem with the Password Retrieval or what--I just tried it and it worked just fine for me; that doesn't mean it was working when you tried, though.

Anyway, I've moved all your posts from your previous account to your new one.

Quote:
I bristle at the grousing because sometimes I want to address the whys and can't! (: This is not the fault of the fans.

And I'm still working on "yeses" for a few ideas. (:

Meanwhile, all of you, I'd expect spoilage on NGB3 today. I put something in there that should hit Tumblr anytime now. (;

I'm just chomping at the bit; I probably won't make it to the shop until Saturday. :x