It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:47 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2013, 3:29 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #23 (V2#7)

Boy, I'm really really late getting this one out. I mean, sheesh, it's so late that #8 (or #24 if you prefer) is supposed to be out already...

Except of course this snarky commentary is late because the issue itself is way way waaaay late.

I'm not going to complain too much, though. Last issue was so awesome it gave me longer to savor it; anything short of a reprise of "Janine, You've Changed" or "The Crawler" is just not going to be as much fun as #22/#6

But don't worry--this issue is still plenty fun.

We open up with the Governor. I don't know who the Governor is supposed to be, if anybody. Mayor Lenny Clotch was talking about running back in GB2. The Gov we see doesn't look much like Mario Cuomo (1983-1994) or George Pataki (1995-2006) either. But I guess who he is is less important than the fact that he's chewing Wally Wick a new ass about the little "problem" near Montauk (alluded to at the beginning of last issue), and it's time to get the Ghostbusters in gear.

Since that's the kind of thing that flows downhill, Wally calls Venkman. Neat outfit Venkman's in--I like the brown with bluish green trim. Those colors have always looked a lot better on him than on Janine, though I bet Ron would have worked with them too.

Venkman goes to Egon first, but Egon's performing all sorts of tests on himself because of his little mind trip last issue. Venkman, rather than continue to listen to Egon babbling--not to mention Slimer making faces at him--moves on.

Ray's next, and in the process lets it slip Winston's off on vacation, and didn't tell Venkman where. Turns out--Winston's in Las Vegas with Tiyah. Heh. No, it's not what you think--Tiyah insists they're not eloping that weekend. Which would have been a hilarious twist--early drafts of the first movie including a Vegas wedding in the closing montage. I won't say who, but if I say going through with it might have short circuited twenty-nine years of fan frustration you probably have a really good idea. Waitasecond...is that a glowing blue stream of ectoplasm following Winston?

Next up, Ray's Occult Books. Kylie is there, and has a visitor--no, not the "barely literate" assistant she hired (maybe he's at home being hassled by his cop brother); it's Kylie's former team leader, Janine, and in a fascinating bit of synchronicity is trying to make sure there aren't any aftereffects of her recent ordeal. Yeah, last thing you want is more glowy Vikings showing up. In a curious development, she appears to be having dreams that include Ray's John Belushi-esque spirit guide; I guess it gives them a little more variety than her usual My Two Egons dreams, but it's not exactly...reassuring, right?

Anyway, with two out of the four original Ghostbusters swearing off the job, Venkman hopes Kylie will join him and Ray on dealing with the Montauk problem. So now we're up to three.

In the process, we get a cut scene of Ray where, in the background, we see the ECTO-2 (previously seen in vol.1 #15) and...oh grife, the ECTO-3. I still can't decide which one is lamer--the unicycle with a side car for Slimer ECTO-3 from the cartoon (the one seen here) or the go-cart with the paddles (from the toy line).

Ah, and now things get interesting as we go back to GBCentral. Egon's absolutely shocked to discover...that there's nothing wrong with him. There just has to be, right? How to explain all that disorientation? Even Slimer seems to think Egon's overlooking the obvious. To make things even better, Janine shows up and he tells her all about nothing be wrong and that's why he's worried. He has a chart and everything.

Well, of course Egon's a little disoriented. It's obvious why, but he's not going to admit it to Janine, of all people, because she's the reason why. I mean, think about it--last issue he was with Janine in a way far more intense and intimate than the usual "Insert Tab E into Slot J" sense. He was inside her mind, and maybe, deep down, he liked what he saw (though he can be forgiven for excepting that one New Year's Eve memory *shudder*) but just can't admit it. It's threatening to get outside the little box he's tried to confine it to for so many years. And if he lets it out now, there's still Roger to deal with, after all.

Yeah, yeah, okay. Just the one paragraph. I move on now.

Back in Vegas, we find out Winston's ulterior motive--he's brought Ron's wrist blasters along, because there's an actual ghost problem out here and the manager of the hotel offered a free vacation to deal with it. Tiyah's not exactly happy, but still, it sounds like an easy job and hey, free Vegas vacation, right?

Heh...plot twist...it's gonna be harder than Winston thinks...

Venkman, Ray, and Kylie, boat to Montauk in the ECTO-8 (the tugboat introduced in the Video Game), and Ray gets seasick again. Soon enough, they find their quarry--the John Milton, which had shipwrecked off Long Island in 1858. As you might guess, soon enough the three Ghostbusters are hip deep in angry spirits, and the big "Next" blurb comes up.

We get a two page side story with Ron and the Rookie. They're being hassled by some Yuppie Larvae.

Until next time, whenever that is...

PostPosted: November 8th, 2013, 5:19 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
Fritz wrote:
Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #23 (V2#7)
In the process, we get a cut scene of Ray where, in the background, we see the ECTO-2 (previously seen in vol.1 #15) and...oh grife, the ECTO-3. I still can't decide which one is lamer--the unicycle with a side car for Slimer ECTO-3 from the cartoon (the one seen here) or the go-cart with the paddles (from the toy line)..

I will get to my thougths on that one day.

Any way good recap. I was a little back loggled and just got to them today.

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel