It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:52 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: December 1st, 2013, 6:24 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Zodiac: Leo
I failed to stay interested in actually reading the book a year or so ago. So I now am trying again...

I have to admit to being too critical of the book a year ago, but I am really having a hard time swallowing the part at the bottom of page 112 about Mayor Arnold Lapinski:
Quote:
By now, Lapinski had been mayor for the better part of a decade.

and from back of book cover...
Quote:
It has been two years since the events of Ghostbusters II,

:puke:
And so goes all my math (and my lunch). Even if somehow you could sell me that the second movie happened in 1988 instead of 1989, that still is only 2 years no matter what. Is Lenny the mayor at the time Ghostbusters II events are happening or what?! I am of coarse aware that this book is not canon anymore thanks to the video game, but in reading it itself, I am having trouble here.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2013, 10:12 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
That's definitely some sloppy editing, right there. The "ten years" only works if he was supposed to be the same Mayor as in the movies, but he's not--even without knowing his last name (from the GB2 novelization) the movie Mayor was, of course, named Lenny.

Maybe at one point Arnie was supposed to be the same as the movie Mayor, but somebody realized that wouldn't work and fixed it...but missed that one reference?

Even then it's still weird--two years is less than one full term as New York Mayor. If Lenny resigned to run for Governor...well, that would kind of be political suicide. "How will we know he'll serve out his full term as Governor? He quit when he was Mayor!" etc.

Of course, we probably think about these things way too hard. :lol:

PostPosted: December 1st, 2013, 6:42 pm 
Doberman
Doberman

Fritz wrote:
That's definitely some sloppy editing, right there. The "ten years" only works if he was supposed to be the same Mayor as in the movies, but he's not--even without knowing his last name (from the GB2 novelization) the movie Mayor was, of course, named Lenny.

Maybe at one point Arnie was supposed to be the same as the movie Mayor, but somebody realized that wouldn't work and fixed it...but missed that one reference?

Even then it's still weird--two years is less than one full term as New York Mayor. If Lenny resigned to run for Governor...well, that would kind of be political suicide. "How will we know he'll serve out his full term as Governor? He quit when he was Mayor!" etc.

Of course, we probably think about these things way too hard. :lol:

Thanks. Yeah I agree that I couldn't see the mayor going for a re-election in 1989 just to go for governor the next year. Talk about campaigner. That however means that Lenny finished being mayor right at the end of Ghostbusters II. One issue with that logic is when Liberty was put back in place at end of credits.... Oh man. Oh could Ghostbusters II be in 1988 instead?! Wish I had backed up your Timeline Fritz before the game derailed this. lol

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2013, 9:55 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Eh...the Timeline's still there. I posited that, like the Real World, there was a Mayoral election in 1989--which would have been after GB2 in that version, of course. In the Real World, David Dinkins won that election, after incumbent Ed Koch decided not to run again. GB2 suggests that Lenny wouldn't run in that election; I had Arnie Lapinski win that election before the Video Game came out, then changed it to Jock Mulligan--though neither the Video Game nor "The Return" are canon in the Classic Timeline. (The Video Game is in the New Timeline, of course).

There was a Gubernatorial election in the fall of 1990; in the Real World, incumbent Mario Cuomo won what ended up being his last term in office. Clearly, the reference in GB2 was to the prospect of Clotch running for this job (which does fit the late 1989 time frame better than it would late 1988). I've made no statement either way whether Lenny Clotch ran in or won that election in GBOT world. Of course in the late 1989 time frame, it would suggest that Lenny is technically a lame duck--the election of his replacement has already happened, but Jock (or Arnie) has not yet been inaugurated. This usually happens on January 1 (ie David Dinkins was inaugurated on Jan 1, 1990; Bill DeBlasio won the most recent election, but Mike Bloomberg is still Mayor until DeBlasio is inaugurated on Jan 1, 2014)

Suffice it to say, the Mayor situation in "The Return" is a big steaming mess if you know anything about the way Real World politics works.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2013, 4:53 am 
Doberman
Doberman

Fritz wrote:
Eh...the Timeline's still there. I posited that, like the Real World, there was a Mayoral election in 1989--which would have been after GB2 in that version, of course. In the Real World, David Dinkins won that election, after incumbent Ed Koch decided not to run again. GB2 suggests that Lenny wouldn't run in that election; I had Arnie Lapinski win that election before the Video Game came out, then changed it to Jock Mulligan--though neither the Video Game nor "The Return" are canon in the Classic Timeline. (The Video Game is in the New Timeline, of course).

Sorry my bad on that one. Through now that I thought about some of the canon issues, 1988 for the events in the second movie is making more and more sense by the day. (Referring to http://www.ectozone.com/gbtimeline/02.php the Omnibus Timeline Classic version: Period Two )

Fritz wrote:
There was a Gubernatorial election in the fall of 1990; in the Real World, incumbent Mario Cuomo won what ended up being his last term in office. Clearly, the reference in GB2 was to the prospect of Clotch running for this job (which does fit the late 1989 time frame better than it would late 1988). I've made no statement either way whether Lenny Clotch ran in or won that election in GBOT world. Of course in the late 1989 time frame, it would suggest that Lenny is technically a lame duck--the election of his replacement has already happened, but Jock (or Arnie) has not yet been inaugurated. This usually happens on January 1 (ie David Dinkins was inaugurated on Jan 1, 1990; Bill DeBlasio won the most recent election, but Mike Bloomberg is still Mayor until DeBlasio is inaugurated on Jan 1, 2014)

Suffice it to say, the Mayor situation in "The Return" is a big steaming mess if you know anything about the way Real World politics works.

I am going to ignore that one sentence on page 112. lol
But I'll take it he has been in New York City politics for the better part of 10 years instead. That way the rest of the back history makes sense to me more.

I ironically in light of this conversation am also raising issues of the mayor(s) timelines on GBWiki. http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Mayor_Lenny. Some links are there, through nothin' more than what is spoken of here. Mostly, the difference is the topic is more about the "New" timeline. Yes, The Return isn't treated as canon there, and I am hoping to finally cover it as dead secondary canon.