It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:56 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: December 20th, 2013, 10:13 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
No, not the snarky commentary--I'll get to that after I get to #10, hopefully within the next week--but I wanted to drop a really big spoiler for Rosey.

Ready?

Eduardo is in this issue. And he is, indeed, the guy Kylie hired to help run Ray's Occult Books.
:D

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2013, 1:15 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Sweet... I hope! I've managed to see a couple of Eduardo's pages; it seems it's too early to judge whether he's being judiciously used or not. It's nothing personal - it's just that misusing Eduardo is easy to do, as the evidence suggests, and I don't trust anyone. The artwork is pleasing enough, as the body language seems to come straight from EGB, which is surely a good sign. Fingers crossed that the hidden depths are lurking underneath it all, as they should be. I notice that the facial hair has moved a bit, which I suspect has a lot to do with convenience for working within the comic book medium, even though I know very little about such things.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: January 8th, 2014, 7:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #27 (V2#11)

Being behind anyway, I waited and read this one on Christmas Day. Because nothing says "Christmas" like a deranged entity that thinks it's an evil Santa Claus (or whatever) getting shot with lasers!!!

I'm gonna be kind of brief with the main story--I'm still behind, and the real excitement comes with the backup this month.

So, we start with a kid being menaced by goblins in Rhinebeck, New York, which is nowhere near as fun to say as "Schenectady". Hm...kid being menaced. Kind of like how the last issue started....you think Egon might have been right about that 'targeting kids" part? Fortunately, the cops knew who to call, and Egon, Venkman, and Mel are getting to spend a lovely fifteen degree day looking for ghosts. In brief, they fight what turns out to be the ghost of a firefighter who role played as Sinterklaas ever year and after he died came back to get revenge on all the brats who wanted Red Rider BB-guns, no matter how many times he told them they'd shoot their eyes out.

There's the usual assortment of in-jokes and references, the most notable when we check in on Ray and Kylie at Ray's Occult--there's a file on the Grundel open, another reference to Ray's persistent dysnumeria (the Tunguska Blast was in 1908, not 1909 Ray), notes about the Gozerian Codex and Central Park West, etc.

The story ends with drawing everything together--lots and lots of bad stuff happens late in the year, it seems, including Gozer (November 1983 1984 they establish), Vigo, the stuff happening in Chicago, etc. Looks like next issue should be a doozy.

But the real doozy this issue is the backup, a teaser for the upcoming "Mass Hysteria" storyline.

Remember a few months back when it was revealed that Kylie had hired some new help for Ray's Occult? And Venkman questioned his literacy? Which made a bunch of us fans wonder if maybe it was a way of bringing in an IDW-verse version of a character who, in another continuity, had a connection with Kylie and had his literacy questioned (ironically, by Kylie herself in "Deadliners"?)

We were totally right. (As previously mentioned in this thread)

Keeping watch over Ray's Occult in the absence of Ray and Kylie is one Latino smartass named Eduardo Rivera. Like Kylie, the character was originally created for Extreme Ghostbusters and has been reincarnated into the IDW timeline; since Eddie didn't wear a flight suit anyway, he even wears his familiar green shirt, orange vest, and blue jeans.

Eduardo signs for a weird package and, giving into curiosity, opens it and finds himself transported to an ancient temple, where cultists are worshipping a goddess with a scaly body and big snakes coming out of her head. She tells him to pass the word along--she's become interested in his world because her "brother" was defeated there...

Eduardo wakes up to Kylie and Ray; the book is gone, but he remembers one word that he tell them:

Tiamat.

That's awesome. Tiamat is a real mythological figure--first encountered in the myths of Sumeria, then later in Babylon, where she was the arch enemy of Marduk, the god of the city. The Babylonian version of the mythos was referenced in the episode "I Am the City", where Marduk takes a vacation in New York City and Tiamat--depicted as a giant dragon with five heads--shows up to make it a bustman's holiday for him

(Tiamat is also a major figure in the Dungeons and Dragons cosmology, where she's the patron of evil dragons and a goddess of vengeance and greed. She was created when the original dragon god, Io, was chopped in half by a Primordial--one half of Io became Tiamat, the other became Bahamut, the god of justice and valor and patron of metallic dragons. DnD Tiamat has five heads, one in each of the major chromatic dragon colors--red, white, black, green, and blue.)

It'll be interesting to see where this goes. The Video Game made it sound like Tiamat and Gozer were rivals, but then again, in DnD Tiamat and Bahamut were rivals and brother and sister of a sort, as mentioned above.

This makes me look forward to "Mass Hysteria" a hundred times more than promises to see the Rookie or Louis Tully ever will.

PostPosted: April 6th, 2014, 8:56 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

You know, I was re-reading V2#11 in preparation for the next update of the New Timeline, and I noticed something in the backup story that I can't believe I didn't pick up on the first time:

Kylie wrote:
You passed out. You forgot your shot or something?

Eduardo wrote:
...Maybe it was a dream. Maybe I did forget my shot

Passing out and having moments of questionable lucidity can be caused by failure to properly regulate blood sugar. Is Erik Burnham suggesting that IDW Eduardo is diabetic?

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it. Wouldn't be the first time. :?

PostPosted: April 7th, 2014, 11:54 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I don't think you're reading too much into it. I had a fleeting idea that it was banter, with EGB being so much on my mind, but it doesn't sound like a joke and it's hard to think of any other explanation. Some other condition? Well, I have no idea what else might require shots, but even I know that diabetes may require a regular shot of insulin, so I'd say that's the condition that appeals to the lowest common denominator.

If you want to read too much into it, I think I can do that. ;) Here, Kylie expresses quite a personal question in a very blunt way. Perhaps it had to be asked, and Kylie has to know about it as he's an employee, but the way she asks it suggests to me that they're already pretty comfortable talking to each other on a personal level. Kylie is very good at being delicate in the usual way of things - something I hope Erik Burnham has picked up from watching EGB! :P

I totally can hear those lines in Rino and Tara's voices, so that's pretty satisfying. :)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3