Zodiac: Taurus
Preview of #14 from Spook Central

PostPosted: March 24th, 2014, 7:39 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
My gut reactions to the Dana and Janine pages:

1. I'm not keen on Dana's hair.

2. Janine is wrong about one thing. There's no way Dana should have brought Oscar along. When you're a child, there a few things more mind-numbingly dull than having to sit with your mother while she natters to her friend.

3. From what little we can see of him, Oscar has a very classic look (reminds me of depictions of the young King-to-be Arthur of legend). It strikes me that he has similar colouring to our friend from GB1, Timothy Carhart. Just something interesting to spot, whether or not it was at all deliberate.

4. Dana doesn't want to see Peter... again?! I'm wary now of getting grumpy, with Erik Burnham being such a present and benevolent being, so I'm not being grumpy now - just making observations. I agree with Fritz, at whatever time it was he said that it didn't seem right for Peter to have blown things with Dana twice. At any rate, to have blown it that badly...? I understand that Burnham's hands are tied. If they can't be a couple then okay, but that doesn't mean their relationship had to go right back to where it was at the start of GB2. Never mind whatever this may say about Peter - I'm just really not a fan of the same old thing over and over and over again, and I know I'm not alone there.

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 25th, 2014, 10:43 am 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
My gut reactions to the Dana and Janine pages:

1. I'm not keen on Dana's hair.

mrmichealt suggests it was intended to resemble the hairstyle Sigourney Weaver was wearing c.1994-1996, the time period this story was (theoretically) set. I can take it or leave it myself.

Quote:
2. Janine is wrong about one thing. There's no way Dana should have brought Oscar along. When you're a child, there a few things more mind-numbingly dull than having to sit with your mother while she natters to her friend.

True. I just took it as Janine wishing she could see Oscar in person.

Quote:
3. From what little we can see of him, Oscar has a very classic look (reminds me of depictions of the young King-to-be Arthur of legend). It strikes me that he has similar colouring to our friend from GB1, Timothy Carhart. Just something interesting to spot, whether or not it was at all deliberate.

Lol...yeah, I don't think this version of Oscar is going to grow up looking too much like Jason David Frank, like my depiction did. Interesting to note, though--like the Deutschendorf brothers, Frank is a skilled martial artist. Allegedly, one of the Power Ranger producers told him, upon hiring him, "We'll teach you how to act--just keep kicking like that" :lol:

Quote:
4. Dana doesn't want to see Peter... again?! I'm wary now of getting grumpy, with Erik Burnham being such a present and benevolent being, so I'm not being grumpy now - just making observations. I agree with Fritz, at whatever time it was he said that it didn't seem right for Peter to have blown things with Dana twice. At any rate, to have blown it that badly...? I understand that Burnham's hands are tied. If they can't be a couple then okay, but that doesn't mean their relationship had to go right back to where it was at the start of GB2. Never mind whatever this may say about Peter - I'm just really not a fan of the same old thing over and over and over again, and I know I'm not alone there.

Agreed. Like you said, Burnham's hands were tied by the licensor, but yeah, I admit our answer--"They didn't really 'break up', it's just Dana got a good offer on the other side of the country"--to explain her absence in RGB was one I liked better.

For those wondering, to quote myself from the "Fears about GB3" thread:

Fritz wrote:
One of my gripes about the Video Game, and even the animation, is that Dana is basically ignored—even though Venkman’s interaction with her was so important in both movies.

There are some people who say “Venkman should be alone and on the prowl”. I disagree. It was one thing for Venkman to win and lose her once; it gave Venkman in GB2 a new character depth. He learned and grew from the experience. Venkman losing Dana again pretty much makes him a pathetic loser, and throws away the entire point of his character arc in the first two movies.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2014, 8:04 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #30 (V2#14)

The wedding of Winston and Tiyah Zeddemore is still in progress. Janine seems to be in better spirits, even though Venkman is picking on her about Roger not being there (something I wondered about myself in the comments last issue). I bet Venkman's just dying to say something about Egon, but doesn't.

There's a couple of interesting faces in the crowd. One is Dixie from "Till Death Do Us Part"; keep her away from just about everybody, especially Egon, though if anything is going to prompt Janine to action (especially as she was on vacation during the Dixie episode).

And then we find out that one of the Zeddemores has a relative who looks a whole lot like Roland Jackson, another character from Extreme Ghostbusters. I really like this idea--it'd be a really organic way to bring in yet another EGB character for the occasional appearance. I'd personally vote to have him be Tiyah's cousin or something; it'd be more consistent with EGB continuity, because if he was Winston's nephew or something it makes it really really odd that Winston didn't recognize him in "Back In The Saddle." EGB would just be a universe where Winston and Tiyah never met, so Winston and Roland never met until aforementioned episode. ("So, er, Winston, I’m Tiyah’s cousin Roland, remember? I wonder if I could come over and see the ECTO-1? I saw it at a car show a few years ago, before you ever met Cousin Tiyah, and I was hoping now that we’re family you’d let me take a look at it close up?")

Anyway, Janine gets a mysterious phone call she doesn't want to talk to the others about, while the weird weather from last issue--meaning the rain of blood--catches up with the wedding party. Venkman drolly notes that this will probably delay Winston and Tiyah's honeymoon.

While Ray, Egon, and Venkman study the blood (it's normal blood, other than the whole "falling out of the sky like rain" part), Janine meets her caller at Pequod's--Dana Barrett. Dana tells her about Tiamat's visit, and wants help, but doesn't want to see Venkman again. Oh boy. I understand from the standpoint of IDW not being able to use Dana until now, and possibly only being able to use her for this storyline, but man, have I grown to hate the whole "Venkman's such a pathetic loser he lost Dana TWICE" idea.

Anyway, before they could commiserate further--about common ground like being in love with a Ghostbuster and being forced by outside powers (Sumerian gods or script writers) into having squicky relations with Louis Tully--cars start floating all over the place. As Janine notes, she's gonna have to call the office on this one.

Ray, Egon, and Venkman arrive and there's all sorts of cars floating around--Doc Brown's DeLorean, Professor Dweeb's truck, Ray and Egon's race cars from "Afterlife In the Fast Lane", etc--and Ray helpfully explains that "Gravity isn't working right"

Simultaneously, Dana has secretly become a 3/4 New Ghostbusters case--and this time, we mean the cool 3/4 of the team. Kylie and Mel visit Dana's apartment and interview her; Mel perhaps understandably feels a bit suspicious, having presumably been briefed on at least some details of the Gozer and Vigo cases. Mel and Venkman haven't been seen to have been spending any real time together since V2#1, and she knows if Venkman's movie love interest gets to stick around, it's gonna get even worse for Mel in that area. Kylie gives Dana her Uncle Carrol's card--he's the manager of the Waltz-Partington Hotel. So is "Partington" another IDW employee, or a location?

Kylie says to Mel, after they leave, that Dana's apartment gave her the creeps. She calls up Ray, because the description of Dana's attacker seems awfully close to the description of the snake lady Eduardo saw (We of course know they are, indeed, one and the same). Ray tells Venkman about Tiamat's backstory, and mentions her arch enemy from the myths (and "I Am the City") Marduk (Who like, totally rules, but we totally already knew that). I feel cheated--the picture of Marduk isn't a giant red hot dog with legs and four eyes. What gives, Dan?

Winston and Tiyah are alone in a hotel room, kind of a "mini-honeymoon" I guess, and are watching Eldon Bromo try to explain the rain of blood on ABS news; they switch it off to...well, good grief, they just got married, use your imagination. And then Winston and Tiyah's moment alone is interrupted by more blood rain and by Pesto, Squit, and Bobby offering critiques of their lovemaking.

Meanwhile, Dana tries to leave her apartment, but somebody's bricked up the door. I hate it when that happens.

Next time...well, some people are excited about him, but I'm not one of them.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2014, 12:10 pm 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
I've said all I wanted to about the Peter/Dana situation. Except possibly that it reminds me way too much of the Bridget Jones's Diary trilogy: three books that follow the exact same two relationships going through the exact same stages. Annoying.

Anyway. If we're going to see Roland, even if he's never going to make it out of the background, I hope we're going to get a glimpse of Garrett as well! I seem to remember that I once expressed doubt lumping together characters from Roland's family and Winston's family in some way, but that was a long time ago and I've got over a lot of things since then, important and unimportant. :roll:

So what did I want to say? Well, if Roland is going to come into the story at all, I think it would be pretty cool and very clever to pair him with Eduardo somehow, as they're the two which did practically nothing together in EGB (really, it amounts to one deeply unsatisfying scene in "Heart of Darkness"). But I wouldn't like to guess what they are and are not going to do. Maybe we'll never even see Roland again. I can tell you that it's very difficult to find anything interesting for the character to do, but then again, I'm not a professional. ;)

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3