All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: June 18th, 2014, 12:11 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Solicitation for V2#20 (#36) is out, and it's a bit troubling:

http://boards.idwpublishing.com/3/viewt ... 52#p370464

Quote:
THE FINAL ISSUE OF GHOSTBUSTERS! Mass Hysteria comes to an end and the Ghostbusters discover the price of driving Tiamat from the city, county, and state of New York! But just because the Big Bad is beaten, it doesn't mean psychokinetic shenanigans are on the wane -- there's always another job on deck for the boys (and girls!) in grey! Don't miss the bombastically chaotic conclusion to IDW's ghoulishly ground-breaking GHOSTBUSTERS run!

I guess we'll have to wait until Erik or one of the other guys in the know shows up to clarify.

I could see how the end of "Mass Hysteria" could be considered a good "season end" and they'll move on to (sigh) Vol.3 #1. Which I'll still call #37

Or it really is the end, and IDW is gonna check out on a high note. It would be kinda surreal to go "Well, we're celebrating the 30th anniversary by cancelling your comic book". Kinda like what happened with Doctor Who last year (Though I gather that wasn't totally IDW's fault).

Either way, it's been a great run.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2014, 2:32 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
I really hope thay don't end it, O_O its the only comic I make sure to read first. :(

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: June 19th, 2014, 3:37 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Per Tristan Jones, the series is, indeed, being cancelled.

IDW still has the contract, though, so it's possible they may go back to the mini-series/one-shot model. But none of that's confirmed. As far as we know right now, #20 is the last IDW Ghostbusters comic.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2014, 7:38 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Aquarius
Sad and disappointing news. The GB ongoing is literally the only comic book I buy and the only reason I have Comixology as an app on my tablet. I brought both digital and physical copies of the comic on the regular (but maybe fewer covers than I should have).

I don't think the erratic release dates helped much - for people like me who aren't normally regular comic book readers, it wasn't easy to find out when the next issue was due out and missing a month might have made other casual readers think it had been cancelled. Maybe there were too many story arcs and people felt they couldn't get into it if they missed a couple of issues. I don't know, we could probably speculate until the cows come home about why people didn't buy regularly in enough numbers. 

I'll certainly miss it, but I'm looking forward to seeing how Mass Hysteria ends. 

I don't know what's up with IDW - first Doctor Who, and now Ghostbusters? Getting rid on their anniversaries, when the publicity is high? Crazy, crazy, crazy.

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: June 20th, 2014, 10:00 am 
Administrator
Administrator

From Tom Waltz on GBFans:

Tom Waltz wrote:
Ghostheads --

It's my sad duty to confirm that, yes, Ghostbusters #20 is not only the final issue of our Mass Hysteria! event, but also of our current ongoing comic, as well. A variety of factors went into this decision and IDW will be saying something official soon, but please know that it was very difficult for everyone involved in the decision to bring our beloved ongoing GB series to an end.

That said, we do have a few BIG surprises in store yet, not the least of which is the magnificent ending Erik, Dan and Luis have put together for Mass Hysteria! It's easy to look at decreasing sales numbers and think it's a reflection of a monthly comic book's quality, but when it comes to our Ghostbusters series, I can honestly say those numbers are an unfortunate anomaly because our book was only getting better and better with each new issue… story AND artwork!

So… if we gotta go, you can be damn sure we're doing it in high, rockin' fashion, folks!

You guys are the best! Thanks for all the spirited (yes, I said it) support throughout the years! This is the best editing gig I've been blessed to have in my career.

Your friend,

Tom Waltz
GB Editor

PostPosted: September 19th, 2014, 3:59 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Preview from Comic Vine:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclu ... 00-149873/

I'm getting a really queasy feeling about where it's going. I'd really hate to see this series end on a really stupidly tragic note.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2014, 6:55 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz wrote:
Preview from Comic Vine:

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclu ... 00-149873/

I'm getting a really queasy feeling about where it's going. I'd really hate to see this series end on a really stupidly tragic note.

Spoilers, obviously...

If they do decide to fridge Tiyah, won't that be two girlfriends of Winston's that IDW have killed off? Poor guy.

Give Winston a bit of a break. Take Louis or Roger instead. :D

Hey, maybe this is where they'll finally use Egon's gris-gris?

/spoilers

"Welcome to Britain. We have prevailing south-westerly winds and 52% of our days are overcast so as a nation we are infused with a subtle melancholy -- leading to eccentricity, binge drinking and casual violence." - Bill Bailey.

PostPosted: September 25th, 2014, 2:51 pm 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Major Spoilers below:

An interesting twist, taking away everyone's memory of Tiyah and Winston's relationship. I'd sure love to erase the memory of Janine's relationships with Roger and Louis, but I suppose we can't have anything. :|

Quote:
Janine Melnitz was asked by her boyfriend, Roger Baugh, to move with him to San Francisco, where he had just accepted a teaching position. But Janine has too much New York in her blood to ever leave.

Too much New York in her blood? Lol. O-kay. That's certainly a 'new' and 'interesting' way of trying to avoid mentioning the obvious. Ixnay on gonEay in Janine's pilogueeay. :lol:

I don't think I'm asking for the world here, but what's so bad with saying her heart is in New York, instead? At least then it could be vaguely implied that she didn't go because of the man she loves. Mentioning her heart would have fitted well with the more hopeful and optimistic romantic nature of the final issue.

Actually, I'm kinda disappointed that Janine and Roger were still together at the end of Mass Hysteria (and apparently in a serious relationship for him to consider taking her to San Francisco). I thought it was made pretty obvious that they'd broken up when he didn't turn up for the wedding. Maybe they haven't broken up at all. Just because he's moved away it doesn't mean they can't try to keep up a LDR. He's not described as her ex-boyfriend, so who the hell knows.

Winston's marriage was erased from existence, and there was mention of Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson's marriage being erased by Mephisto, and then Egon said it happened to him, too?

Erm. Did we miss something huge, or am I just being crazy? Have we just been told that Egon and Janine at some point in time got married, we didn't see it happen, and no-one knows about it because it's been erased from history? Or did he get married to someone else, or what? And what the hell happened to make him sacrifice that? A whole major untold story in one throwaway line, and it just had to be Egon and Janine's, didn't it. Wow... I give up, I really do.

Oh, well. Whatever. *shakes head*

Anyhoo... 
Despite that, it's been a solid series from the IDW team, and it is sad to see it end. The artwork was fantastic, and the stories were always gripping. They also managed to successfully expand the main cast of characters, which I think is a fantastic achievement. They had a great team working on it, and it's pretty disappointing that it couldn't last a lot longer.

PostPosted: October 1st, 2014, 4:39 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters #36 (V2#20)

So...when we last left our heroes, Gozer had been thoroughly trounced by Tiamat, and Winston had just offered himself as a sacrifice if she'll just go away. So what happens next?

Well, the short version: Tiamat wins.

Here's the good news about it: she isn't trying to take over or destroy the world, so she doesn't. She just wanted to kick Gozer's ass, and once she did that--last issue--all that was keeping her here was the entertainment value. And her real agenda.

You see...Tiamat, as it turns out, isn't really a villain. She's a plot device.

So for the anniversary story, we needed a bunch of set pieces to recall the movies. Dana and Louis are trucked in, just so they can be possessed by Tiamat's pets Vuul and Zinz Clortho, and transformed into animal. There's a great big battle on a roof top, involving almost every character ever introduced in the IDW series, and Tiamat is "defeated" by Crossing the Streams.

But since we hadn't done any GB2 set pieces, she stuck around long enough for the Scoleri Brothers and Vigo to (sorta) make an appearance, as well as making sure that some of the IDW characters who hadn't been in the big battle in #16 get to put in an appearance.

But in #20 (#36) at last we see Tiamat's other function: in-story continuity editor.

Quote:
Give Tiamat his marriage to Tiyah? I heard that offered as a joking possibility*, and boy, would that solve the "IDW made a big change in the status quo" issue...but then again, you’d have to be insane and stupid to think that was a good idea, and Joe Quesada thankfully doesn't run IDW.

*--For the life of me I can't find the post where someone suggested that. I reread threads on #19(#35) from the IDW board and GBFans, and didn't find that comment. I wish I could find it--I'd like to compliment them on their prescience.

Well, Joe Quesada doesn't run IDW, but IDW doesn't own these characters. I guess I should have figured that the "permanent" change to the status quo in #13(#29) wasn't going to be, but it was such a beautifully done ceremony, a great pay-off to years of character development, and knowing how Sony seems to sometimes forget Winston exists, maybe they'd let one permanent good change through? Nope. I just wish IDW hadn't leaned on call-backs to one of the shittiest comic book stories of all time to do it.

On the plus side, sacrificing your married life to save Earth from possible destruction or domination by a Sumerian goddess makes a lot more sense than doing it to save life of one older-than-dirt woman and to appease an editor-in-chief's midlife crisis. And hey, as the last few scenes show, if that Volume 3 does come along, Tiyah could easily be written back in as Winston's girlfriend, the same place she was before.

And the other plus side: it worked. With Gozer defeated, guest appearances made, scenes recalling the movies enacted, and pesky permanent status-quo changes eliminated, Tiamat just packs up and leaves.

The transparent "well, we need to put our toys back where we found them since there's no guarantees of a Vol.3" angle continued in the epilog. Dani and Lou join Ron and Watsisface at Ghostbusters: Chicago Character Limbo Division. (Jenny "Looks Like Donna Dixon" Moran isn't mentioned, so maybe she stayed in New York to keep close to Ray "Looks Sorta Like Donna Dixon's Husband" Stantz).

Thankfully, Louis goes back to Ocala. Dana goes home before Oscar arrives back from his weekend with Andre, and other than the fact that he has a birthday card and a new jersey to pee on courtesy of Venkman, he's none the wiser.

Mel and Kylie, similarly, go into…well, "They’re available if we can use them later but if we can’t they live happily ever after off-screen" mode.

And Roger? Well, he got an offer to teach in San Francisco. He asked Janine to go with him, but she refused. "Too much New York". I almost feel bad for EgonLite; there's been some implied strain on his and Janine's relationship ever since Roger found out about her past (including the not-so-distant-past kiss) with EgonActual, what with him not going to Winston's (now out-of-continuity) wedding, but it had to hurt. He probably had to deal with the knowledge that he was going to have a tough time becoming anything more than "The guy she has because she can't get the guy she wants", and that sucks. For her part, well, this makes the second relationship left in flaming wreckage for her. The only bright spots are that Roger was a quantum improvement over the last one...and of course EgonActual is still in New York.

Which inevitably brings us to Egon's offhand comment about being in a "similar situation" to Winston and a certain "photographer from Queens". I think I'll avoid reading too much into this--I mean, after all, Egon occasionally says strange things--but it makes one wonder. I think Egon has been at the center of more subplots that didn't pay off over the last three years than any of the other Ghostbusters. What was going on with his book designed to "stimulate" the female libido (revealed one issue after remarks about Janine seeming more "aggressive")? Or the gris-gris, which looked like a Chekhov's Gun of some sort but only seemed to pop out a little flag that said "bang" (and not even in capital letters)? I guess the "forced delusion" business is just one more "noodle incident" to throw into the pile.

I guess I should say a few more words of parting, but the silver lining is...we're not done yet. The Ghostbusters series may be gone, but the entire team of creators is back next month with a Ninja Turtle crossover. So four more months of IDW Ghostbusters goodness to go!

See you then!

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2014, 12:30 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

One thought I had on Egon's "forced delusion noodle incident":

Is it an in-joke based on that early draft of GB1's script that had Egon and Janine getting married in Vegas with (sick irony of sick ironies in hindsight) Louis Tully as witness? I dunno...the whole idea is hard to reconcile with the portrayal of Egon as basically clueless and/or unsure about the whole thing all throughout the IDW series. Unless Mister Burnham wants to touch on it later and gets a chance to, we may never know.

PostPosted: October 5th, 2014, 10:41 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Fritz wrote:
Which inevitably brings us to Egon's offhand comment about being in a "similar situation" to Winston and a certain "photographer from Queens". I think I'll avoid reading too much into this--I mean, after all, Egon occasionally says strange things--but it makes one wonder.

I probably am reading way too much into Egon's line at the end, but only because it would have meant that something would have been happening between him and Janine, even if it was off-panel. Otherwise, less stuff happened between my favourite characters in three years than in the one-hour film the comics were based upon. So, I'm taking all I can get! :D

Egon's comment could mean nothing. But I did think it was related to Janine, because he said: "It happened to me, too. I don't talk about it". Just like he 'doesn't want to talk about' what happened after he went into Janine's mind, or when he 'doesn't want to discuss' anything between himself and Janine to Dana; so Janine seems to be the only subject he specifically does not to want to talk about. If we're looking for clues, then going back to the earlier volume 1 issues and his analysis of her dating behaviour and the fact that he noticed her interest in him after the events of the first film leads me to believe he's not clueless about Janine at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. He seems to have taken great interest in her; analysing her, studying her behaviour, plotting graphs and charts, and so on. So, with all of this information he has, why doesn't he do anything about it?

If what had happened to Winston had happened to him as well, it might explain why he hasn't done anything about it. Unlike Winston, who will find it easy to ask Tiyah out again, Egon probably found it tough enough to do the first time, so to do it again is probably not an option. Maybe he was already trying to replay the past in order to recreate their future together, but Roger came along and screwed it all up. Maybe that was what the computer programme was for - to recreate the circumstances in which they got together, or make it easier for him to get back together with Janine. Maybe he pocketed the gris-gris hoping that it might provide an opportunity later on to sort everything out; to reverse the spell, curse, or godly interference, and bring their marriage back to reality. 

Maybe I am way off base, maybe I'm over thinking everything, maybe it's a non-starter from the beginning. We'll never know, and that's the most frustrating thing about it. Whether the lack of a real Egon/Janine storyline is down to Sony's interference, the premature ending of the ongoing, or the fact that Burnham wasn't as into it as some people thought, I don't know. Frankly, I'm past caring. It's not really up to the fans to have to second guess the behind the scenes politics. What matters is what ended up on the page, and unfortunately that has led to some guesswork and trying to fill in the blanks because the important part of the story is missing.

By having Janine spend most of her time with Roger, it neglected the story that most people were interested in. I can't help but feel that if the Roger/Janine breakup had happened much earlier we could at least get some small chance to see what would have happened afterward. The Janine/Roger relationship didn't help to move the Egon/Janine narrative forward, and there didn't seem to be any consequences after Roger had discovered Janine's real feelings for Egon. At least RGB had the good sense to keep the Paul Smart stuff confined to one episode and not drag it out for an eternity. It seemed like a lot of time was spent on something that ultimately didn't achieve anything, so I'm not surprised that people are looking for answers wherever they can find them. 

Fritz wrote:
I wonder if maybe it's a bit of an in-joke based on that early draft of GB1's script that had them getting married in Vegas with (sick irony of sick ironies in hindsight) Louis Tully as witness? I dunno...the idea is hard to reconcile with the portrayal of Egon as basically clueless and/or unsure about the whole thing all throughout the IDW series. Unless Mister Burnham wants to touch on it later and gets a chance to, we may never know.

Yeah, it's probably an in-joke like the Roger Baugh/EGB Egon thing. I wouldn't be surprised. It's the easy way out of a non-existent storyline. I doubt that it'll be touched on later, if there is a later. Every other storyline gets neatly tied up, but anything related to Egon and Janine will be left hanging. I'm not holding out any hope if there's a third IDW volume. Three years later and we're still waiting and I'm bored of in-jokes and stuff that lead nowhere.