All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: TMNT/Ghostbusters #1
PostPosted: July 15th, 2014, 1:45 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
Just announced by IDW

Quote:
San Diego, CA (July 15, 2014) – Two teams of legendary heroes will join forces this fall to save New York City and the world from the paranormal and the monstrous when the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtlescross paths with the Ghostbusters! With both franchises celebrating their 30th anniversaries this year, it’s never been better time to team up Proton Packs with Ninjutsu!

Transported to a different universe by a faulty invention, the TMNT find themselves in a New York City much like their own, but with one major exception: a rampant ghost problem! If that weren’t enough, the Turtles and their reluctant new hosts, the Ghostbusters, soon find that the Turtles didn’t come alone…

The crossover is written by two talentedcreators who couldn’t be better acquainted with these unique franchises — Tom Waltz and Erik Burnham. In addition to writing the ongoingTurtles series at IDW, Waltz has also served as editor for the ongoing Ghostbusters series, written by Burnham ­who, in turn, co-wrote the critically acclaimed series Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Secret History of The Foot Clan.

<snip>

Long-time Ghostbusters artist Dan Schoening will take on cover and interior art duties. Currently showing off the immensity of his talents in the Ghostbusters arc “Mass Hysteria,” Schoening has proven his ability to give this special mini-series the epic scale it deserves. Issue #1 will sport a variant cover byT-Rex Jones, who has provided covers to both series at IDW.

Actively hoped for by fans for years, this epic four-issue event kicks off this October!

So, while the ongoing is ending with #20, we have at least four more months of Burnham/Schoening (and Jones and Waltz etc) goodness to look forward to!

The article doesn't show the Tristan Jones variant cover, but you can see it at the GBFans article:
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 70&t=37418

Post subject: Re: TMNT/Ghostbusters #1
PostPosted: October 17th, 2014, 11:10 am 
Administrator
Administrator

TMNT/GB#1 looks to be released on October 22nd. Here's the Spook Central preview:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 044&type=1

Post subject: Re: TMNT/Ghostbusters #1
PostPosted: November 4th, 2014, 8:20 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About TMNT/Ghostbusters #1

Back in 1984, two awesome properties made their debut. One blazed into the scene in a smash hit movie, which later inspired multiple groundbreaking animated series, a hot-selling toy line, comic book spin-offs, and a movie sequel. The other snuck in like a ninja in the form of a small-press independent comic book, which later inspired multiple groundbreaking animated series, a hot selling toy line, numerous movies, and lots more comic books.

And now, thirty years later, the Ghostbusters and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles meet, officially, for the first time.

Now, before we get into this, let me lay these cards on the table: I sadly haven't been following IDW's TMNT series. I watched the first couple years of the classic 1987 cartoon, and almost all of the excellent 2003 cartoon (I missed the last season when it jumped networks on me). I saw the very first movie in 1990. I've read reprints of the earliest issues of the original series, and followed Peter Laird's revival in the early 2000's, but I guess I passed on IDW because after sitting through some of the same stories about five or so times, reboot fatigue had long set in. (For what it's worth, I haven't watched much of the new Nickelodeon series either, and certainly did NOT have any interest in Michael Bay's "Doctor Rockso" Turtles. The former because of aforementioned reboot fatigue, the latter because...well...Michael Bay).

So, yeah, I have a vague idea of who the Turtles, Splinter, April and Casey, Krang, Shredder, etc are, but I'm basically coming into this as a Ghostbusters fan first and foremost.

I couldn't help but think if this was a cartoon. My own dream voice cast (it'd have to be, at least one of the guys on the list is dead)

Greg Abbey as Raphael
(2003 TMNT)
Beau Billingslea as Chi-You
(If you've heard this guy's stuff in places like Digimon (Ogremon) or Cowboy Bebop (Jet Black), you know he's great for it)
Cam Clarke as Leonardo
(1987 TMNT; An all-time favorite since was going under the name "Jimmy Flinders" in '80's anime dubs)
Townsend Coleman as Michelangelo
(1987 TMNT; Wayne Grayson sounded just like him, why not go with the original?)
Mari Devon as Kitsune
(Did the voice of Renamon in Digimon Tamers, who was based on the kitsune legends)
Darren Dunstan as Splinter
(2003 TMNT)
Arsenio Hall as Winston Zeddemore
(RGB)
Maurice LaMarche as Dr. Egon Spengler
(RGB, EGB)
Lorenzo Music as Dr. Peter Venkman
(RGB; Like I said, one of the cast is dead, and it's him. I sure as hell don't want Dave Coulier. If I had to pick a living actor, maybe Steven Jay Blum. I could see the guy who did Guilmon, Spike Spiegel, and Roger Smith as maybe having what it takes to be a great Venkman)
Sam Regal as Donatello
(2003 TMNT; Barry Gordon was also great, but I eventually realized I like Regal better. There's a temptation to use Rob Paulsen, from the current show, just to get the "Pinky and the Brain" reunion with Egon, but I'm sticking with Regal)
Tara Strong as Kylie Griffin
(EGB)
Laura Summer as Janine Melnitz
(RGB)
Veronica Taylor as April O'Niell
(2003 TMNT)
Marc Thompson as Casey Jones
(2003 TMNT)
Frank Welker as Dr. Ray Stantz
(RGB, EGB)

We start our story centuries ago, with stuff I gather ties in to the IDW TMNT universe. We see immortal beings, symbolized by animals: Kitsune (the fox); the rat (the IDW Rat King I gather?), and a totally new one, a bull. Kitsune is doing her thing when she's interrupted by Chi-You, the bull immortal and her brother; great, we Ghostbusters fans know that powerful bad guys having siblings seldom comes to a good ending (tell Casey and April to keep that in mind if they decide to get hitched). Oh, and Krang is there--I guess the little guy really got around in this version.

Kitsune and Chi-You spar for a bit, then she throws him into Krang's portal. Krang mentions the portal has safeguards, so Chi-You won't end up in Dimension-X or the Utrom homeworld or wherever the hell Krang comes from in IDW; something tells me Chi-You isn't gone forever, and will pop up in a way that will make things really interesting. Maybe something that will take the eccentric hero teams of two universes and four issues to resolve, maybe.

The artwork in this chapter is by Charles Paul Wilson III, and it's a suitably dark, murky, "old" looking take for the flashback.

We come to the present day in IDW's Turtleverse; the Turtles, April, and Casey are in the laboratory of (I assume) and IDW-created character, Harold Lillja, who appears to be kind of a mad scientist. Hey, maybe here's our Rob Paulsen, right? Anyway, Lillja and Don are experimenting with a teleportation thingamajig, and use it to bean Casey with an apple. Mention made of Fugitoid, an Eastman and Laird character that technically predates the TMNT, and has appeared in some versions (including the original Mirage series). Don insists the teleporter's perfectly safe, as he's used it before, and the four Turtles, April, and Casey take a ride to go surprise Master Splinter at the lair.

Except it doesn't quite turn out that way. A fly bothers Lillja, he hits the wrong button, and something goes wrong. I also wonder if this means Pat Fraley should be Lillja, if they're foreshadowing him getting turned into a giant bug like Baxter Stockman in the 1987 series.

Artistically, this section is by Corey Smith, and it's good, but man, I didn't realize the IDW Turtles were starting to look more like the clubfooted Nickelodeon Turtles. Ah well, it could be worse--they could start to look more like the horrible Michael Bay Turtles. "I do pizza, Dudes"

Ah...now I feel at home: we switch across dimensional barriers to a different New York City, where four guys in grayish flight suits who sorta like Saturday Night Live actors (but not close enough to get sued) are catching a ghost. These are the guys I've been following at IDW for the last six years. We get another bit of foreshadowing when Venkman remarks how Egon looked like a turtle while laying on the floor in his proton pack.

As the Ghostbusters head home in the ECTO-1, they get a call from Janine--Kylie's been monitoring this new gizmo Egon and Ray whipped up, probably because they got so badly played by Tiamat. Of course, in Dan Schoening's long-known taste for in-jokes, it looks just like the Dimensional Inverter seen in several RGB episodes (I always nicknamed it "Egon's race track"). Anyway, it's showing the possible presence of a Class 7 on the East Side. For those not in the know about the Ghostbusters universe...Class 7 is bad. (Go here for more on what "Class 7" means). Dan Schoening, now having an entirely new franchise to throw in nods to, quickly places a Channel 6 news van and the Neutrino's roadster on the streets with the ECTO-1.

...And we catch back up to the TMNT gang as it pops up in a church on the East Side, where Irma Langinstein is getting married (Burne Thompson and Vernon Fenwick are even attending!) to...holy hell, Louis Tully? Erm, no, mrmichaelt's notes says it's a guy from the 1987 cartoon I don't even remember seeing but for a second he really did look like Dan's version of Louis. There's an idea...fix Irma's obsession with finding a man and keep Louis away from ruining any more interesting pairings at the same time.

Nah, I couldn't do that to Irma. She clearly needs a man who looks like a human version of Simon Seville, anyway.

Still, add one to the cast list:

Jennifer Darling as "Lucy"
(1987 TMNT Irma Langinstein)

(I can't hate the idea that a version of the Channel 6 news team exists in the Ghostbusters universe. I even played with that idea in my own fan fic.)

The Turtles, by the way, look much better with Dan drawing them. A lot more like the classic Eastman/Laird Turtles, or the 2003 animated version. They have round belt buckles like the 1987 Turtles, but they're blank instead of having their initials on it (which I always thought was a bit much).

Oops...they're not the only ones who've popped up to ruin Irma/Lucy's wedding. There's a big, angry, vaguely bull-looking guy ranting at them in Chinese. (Well, we know it's Chi-You, but the Turtles don't.)

Raph of course tries to jump Chi-You. It...doesn't go well.

Funny bit where Mikey calls Chi-You a ghost, and Don basically says that's impossible. Heh. I bet this is set up for a scene next issue where Egon expresses disbelief in mutant reptiles and brain-looking aliens.

Chi-You establishes mental control over Casey and much of the wedding party, which has the beneficial (to our heroes) side effect of causing the "glitch" to start ranting in English. Just about then, four guys in grey flight suits and laser backpacks show up to take on the demon and the "Kung Fu Martians". Thus, the misunderstanding and fight-then-team-up between the Ghostbusters and the Turtles is set.

Which we'll see next issue!