It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:21 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Ghostbusters Get Real #1
PostPosted: March 18th, 2015, 12:31 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Zodiac: Taurus
The drought ends in June, and it's a doozy!

http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/7 ... =APR150362

Quote:
(W) Erik Burnham (A/CA) Dan Schoening
When a confrontation with the elder God Proteus goes awry, Peter, Ray, Winston and Egon will meet... THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS!

Oh man, this is gonna be good!

Speaking of droughts, I really really really need to post my TMNT/GB#4 snark...

PostPosted: March 19th, 2015, 7:14 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I can't help myself...some of the jokes I've come up with for this...

IDW Venkman: Hey, Egon...is it just me, or does that other you look kinda like Roger?

IDW Egon: Shut up.

And I couldn't help but speculate how the crossover would go if the timelines were in better synch (since the IDW series is currently set in 1996 or so) By 1996+ in animated canon, the original Ghostbusters were out of business. A more "timely" crossover would be with the Extreme Ghostbusters...

IDW Venkman: So wait...in this world, Egon looks like Roger, and the Ghostbusters are Kylie, her illiterate boyfriend, and two guys I've never heard of before?

EGB Kylie: "Boyfriend"?!?!

EGB Eduardo: "Illiterate"?!

IDW Winston: Well, actually, I know who one of the others is--it's Tiyah's nephew Roland Jackson.

EGB Roland: How in the world do you know Aunt Tiyah?

IDW Ray: Better you not ask.

EGB Garrett: And once more, they know everybody but me. It's the Tempus crap all over again...

:lol:

PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 10:02 am 
Editorial Staff
Editorial Staff

Zodiac: Cancer
Wow, yeah - it's happening to Garrett again! What a shrewd observation. (Some page on the Ghostbusters Wiki, I seem to remember, suggests that Garrett is implied to have died early on in the 'ghost war'; watching the episode again recently, I can see how that would work, fond though I am not of the whole concept and execution. Anyway...)

Fritz, I would love to see that. You should, like, make that one yourself! :D (Kidding - no pressure or anything. ;) )

EGB Fan's EGB Fans
EGB Fan on FFN and AO3

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 7:23 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

EGBFan wrote:
Wow, yeah - it's happening to Garrett again! What a shrewd observation. (Some page on the Ghostbusters Wiki, I seem to remember, suggests that Garrett is implied to have died early on in the 'ghost war'; watching the episode again recently, I can see how that would work, fond though I am not of the whole concept and execution. Anyway...)

Fritz, I would love to see that. You should, like, make that one yourself! :D (Kidding - no pressure or anything. ;) )

I can't promise anything. I've been meaning to get to work on the next story in the Ray+Liz saga, probably fooling myself if I think it can be done for May 13th.

And I have had a couple of brain drizzles about another couple of characters seen in "Enlightenment"

PostPosted: April 7th, 2015, 5:17 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

mrmichaelt wrote:
Today, Erik Burnham revealed the two variant covers for Issue #1 and #2. Both are subscription covers I believe.

I'm sure fans are squealing at the first one. :mrgreen:

https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/585149916646899713

Janine: "Oh...THAT'S how Egon felt during the whole 'Roger' thing..." :lol:

And the variant EC-styled cover for #2:

https://twitter.com/erikburnham/status/ ... 3565666306

PostPosted: April 14th, 2015, 2:53 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
cool looks like something to look far word to when it comes out. :)

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel

PostPosted: June 13th, 2015, 10:35 am 
Administrator
Administrator

Previews!

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclu ... 00-152582/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 044&type=3

PostPosted: June 30th, 2015, 8:46 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Fritz Babbles About Ghostbusters Get Real #1

Hey, folks, long time no see.

As much as a loved the first Ghostbusters movie from the moment I saw it...it wasn't until 1986 that I became the kind of Ghostbusters superfan that would one day be christened "Ghosthead". I was fifteen in the fall of 1986; a lot of people my age were "outgrowing" cartoons, and considering most of the preachy, formulaic crap that inundated Saturday Morning I couldn't really blame them. I preferred to sleep in most of the time. Then came the morning of November 1st, 1986.

I was wandering in and my brothers were watching a show with...well, vaguely anime-esque looking guys wearing flight suits and proton packs. "It's the new Ghostbusters cartoon" they tell me. Holy cow, really? But none of them look like Bill Murray or Dan Aykroyd! The flight suits are different colors! One of them sounds like Garfield! Good grief, Harold Ramis's character is blond! At least they remembered Ernie Hudson's character existed, they seemed to forget about him in a lot of the promo material. Ah well, it's Saturday Morning, this will probably be really watered down and stupid...I'll just sit down and pick apart the nonsense...

Except it wasn't watered down, stupid, or nonsense. As time would reveal, that episode--"When Halloween Was Forever"--was one of the best of the series. The show was called "The Real Ghostbusters" for reasons that could take up an article of it's own, but a team of top-notch writers led by J. Micheal Stracynski (later of Babylon 5) and a crew of voice actors that rivaled the comic chemistry of their movie counterparts (including, yes, the late Lorenzo "Garfield" Music) took the cinematic outline and created a full-blown world that didn't talk down to it's audience the way practically every other cartoon of the day did. That would change, as many of you well know, but let's not dwell on that--those early days were magic. I was hooked for life.

To this day, and I know I'm in a minority, I still see the Ghostbusters world through the filter of the animated series. You don't find too many pictures of Bill Murray on my web site, but you do see quite a few of that guy who sounded like Garfield in 1986.

So the last dozen years have been...mixed. Almost all of the "revival" products of 2003 and beyond have been aimed more toward the movie-only paradigm, albeit with a few, to use a phrase, "fun nods" to the cartoon here and there--like the Containment Unit in both 88MPH and IDW's series, the "New Ghostbusters" wearing the RGB colors, IDW Janine's haircut and her dating a guy who looked exactly like Extreme Ghostbusters Egon, and the loads of visual injokes and callbacks that artist Dan Schoening packs into every story he does.

Well, as much as I loved the IDW ongoing series (thirty six issues of awesome) and the crossover with those pizza-eating Turtles (I wonder if Donnie is now wishing he'd stayed on IDWGB Earth...) the announcement of a crossover between the IDW Ghostbusters and the animated Ghostbusters had me over the moon. MY Ghostbusters were coming back to comics! And now, I finally have Ghostbusters Get Real #1

In a very specific tie-in to the RGB storylines, it takes place during a favorite episode of mine, "Janine Melnitz: Ghostbuster". It first aired in syndication in 1987; it's the 48th episode in the DVD set, and the thirty-fifth by air date. It features Janine in a strong performance, where she basically has to bail the Ghostbusters out of trouble all by herself when they run afoul of the Greek god Proteus. The fact she has a (tasteful) shower scene didn't hurt from the perspective of a horny sixteen year old either.

Ironically, though, RGB Janine doesn't actually appear in this comic outside the profile picture on page 1.

We see the Ghostbusters running around town stopping the ghosts that Proteus's activities have stirred up. In Schoening's penchant for injokes, a woman who looks a lot like Dahlia from "Moaning Stones" (Claudia) is being menaced by a ghost that looks a lot like Madame LaFarge from "Drool, the Dog Faced Goblin" (Natasha). The Ghostbusters catch LaFarge, and Claudia promises to help them one day.

That day turns out to be today--as we see in the episode, right before the commercial break, the statue of Atlas at Rockefeller Center comes to life and zaps the Ghostbusters away. We find them later in the episode imprisoned by Proteus...but as we find out, they had a much longer trip to get there than we ever knew--Claudia apparently knows some magic, and cast a protective charm that took the Ghostbusters out of Proteus's control. Proteus shows up at Claudia's place, and he's pissed. She didn't know where the Ghostbusters have gone, so he turns her into a bird, perhaps hoping that Claudia's cat Hollis delivers what Proteus no doubt considers a more amusingly ironic ending that him just blasting her to atoms.

(I loved how Hollis is the long lost twin of Phineus Eventide's cat Tarantula. Dan hasn't done too many callbacks to the Now Comics series, but Tarantula and Eventide were two of the more memorable characters.)

Artistically, unsurprisingly in light of the variant cover of V2#8 (or as I prefer to call it, GB#24), Dan Schoening and Luis Delgado completely nail the look of the animated Ghostbusters. It's so on-model it could be a "cine-story" made out of animation cells.

So what happened to the Ghostbusters?

They pop up back outside Ghostbusters Central, but things look...off to them. "Drabber" Ray says. (Leaving aside that the proper phrase is "more drab", you have no idea who much I agree with that meta statement). Janine's there, but she's messing with something in her desk and neither she nor the four Ghostbusters notice that each looks...different than each is used to. (Janine, you see, has changed her hair again--ironically, in the ongoing series she sported a haircut patterned off the RGB 1986 one, but I guess to make her more "different" IDW Janine has reverted to one closer to GB1).

The Ghostbusters go upstairs and everything's been moved around. Slimer is in the observation tank; they let him loose and he goes nuts, and Egon points out that it may not be Slimer. Well, it's not the same Slimer--this Slimer was never domesticated the way RGB Slimer was, and add in aftereffects of the mandala (GBVG) and Idunas (GB#2) he's a lot more feral. They zap him, and to add to the confusion the real owners of the place get home--four guys who look like the law firm that starred in their movie, but not close enough to get sued for violating likeness right restrictions.

Having just finished their crossover with the Ninja Turtles, the IDW Ghostbusters figure out pretty quick that they're having crossdimensional visitors once more. The two teams of Ghostbusters look over the transdimensional gate, and RGB Ray immediately wants one. Good news, Ray--you eventually build one. See: "Egon's Ghost", "Egon On The Rampage", "The Copycat", and Now's "The Father Thing Trilogy" (RGB#9-11). But that's all in the future for you. (Even though, according to production order, "Egon On The Rampage" has already happened, or in air date order "Egon's Ghost" was the very last episode. Oh shut up, Fritz.)

Just about then, Janine busts into the basement and gets a shock--because of RGB Egon's resistance to her ex-boyfriend Roger. (Well, a younger Roger--he looked like EGB Egon, remember?) I really hope this comes up in conversation between both Egons. It probably won't, because this is exactly what Egon hates talking about in any universe, but I can hope.

So eight Ghostbusters are going on a bust. But was we well know from the cut scenes, Proteus is looking for them.

It's gonna be a long commercial break.

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2015, 6:15 am 
I Have No Life
I Have No Life

Zodiac: Gemini
I'm with you on this. I was happy to see the old RGB guys pop up, along with the interation with the IDW boys..

thinking about it it left me with some hope that at least RGB egon gets the girl in his world. :)

pleas parden my speling but I'm a littel dislexik and can't tipe whel